The Quest for Fire - Into the Mists - Chapter 12

by felistia

The fires from Mount Mokewtu burned bright against the starless sky as Zoltar soared into the Shadow Lands. The jagged cracks ripping through the ground seemed to fly with him as he tore through the air.

Landing on the blackened sand, he raced into the tunnels. He kept his eyes locked on the passage way ahead as he passed his cave. He couldn’t look at it. Not right now. The only thing keeping him together right now was his mission. If he stopped, he’d have to face what had happened and then everything would come crashing down. No, he couldn’t do that. Not yet.

Gritting his teeth, he kept his head down until he got to the throne room. Hisster was scanning through some scrolls perched on a ledge carved from the rock wall. He looked up, startled as Zoltar burst in.

Zoltar screeched to a halt and hurriedly bowed, sweeping his wings to the ground.

“Zoltar?” Hisster walked over, scanning the tunnel from where Zoltar had just come, “You’re back soon. I wasn’t expecting you three for another day at least.”

A few seconds past and a grim look settled over Hisster face, “Where are the others?”

Zoltar stood up, folding his wings in as he bit down on the emotions roaring beneath the surface, “They didn’t make it.” He managed, afraid to say more for fear of his voice breaking.

Hisster was quiet for moment as the reality of what Zoltar had said dawned on him.

“Ohh,’ Hisster murmured, a look of guilt flashing across his eyes, “I’m…sorry for your loss.”

Zoltar looked away for a moment, clinching his talons as he tried to resist the rising urge to roar, to let free the pain that was tearing away inside him.

“It’s not your fault,” he final said, taking in a shaky breath. What else could he say? He couldn’t blame Hisster for what had happened. It wasn’t like he’d know about the Wisp Talons’ venom. He hadn’t even known that there were dragons on the island. That had been the whole point of the mission; to find out if there was a tribe there. It had been a devastating, but unforeseeable mistake. It wasn’t the first and probably wouldn’t be the last. It was the reality that they lived in every day.

Hisster lowered his eyes as he walked over to Zoltar.

“The pain will pass with time,” he said as he laid a paw on Zoltar’s shoulder reassuringly, “Just…..don’t dwell on it. It will start to mess with your head, make you want to do terrible things.”

He trailed off, his eyes seeming to stare off into the distance for a moment before he shook out his wings and stepped away.

“I know it’s hard to talk about,” Hisster said as he pulled down the burnt Wisp Talon scroll, “but I need to know what happened. Otherwise, I can’t decide what to do next.”

Zoltar nodded. Hisster was right.

Steeling himself, he began to explain; the Wisp Talons, the ambush, Scorpus’s death, their escape and Nira’s death. The whole time remaining as cold and removed from the events as possible. It was almost like someone else was telling the story as he watched from a distance.

“…and that’s where I buried her. Scorpus’s bones are still somewhere on the island, but I saw him make his journey with Nira. They are with the ancestors’ now.” Zoltar whispered as he finished recounting what had happened.

He looked up to find that Hisster’s face had darkened and his tail was lashing dangerously.

“So… they’re venomous,” he hissed quietly as he scrawled a quick note in the burnt scroll, “That’s unfortunate.”

“What are we going to do, Sir?”

“I was hoping we wouldn’t have to do this, but I’m afraid we’re going to have to make a deal with the Ghost Talons,” Hisster growled as he put the scroll away.

A strange coldness swept over Zoltar at the mention of the Ghost Talons. Sure, he wanted to get rid of the Wisp Talons, but did they have to get the help from those dragons, “Are you sure, Sir? After what happened with The Keepers. Won’t allying with the Ghost Talons anger them?”

“That happened almost twelve years ago. The Ghost Talon’s chief has changed since then. I’m sure we’ll be alright.”

He paused, taking in a deep breath, “Besides, the only reason I’m considering this is because of their immunity. If the Wisp Talons are venomous, we need allies that can counter that. Not to mention that the Ice Talons aren’t to be trusted after what happened to the Lighting Talons, the Sea Talons won’t have anything to do with us and the Moon Talons. Well…you know.”

Hisster cast him a look, “I don’t see any other choice.”

Zoltar nodded slowly, though the unease remained. It was a risk, but if they could get the Ghost Talons to side with them, the Wisp Talons would fall like reeds before a raging storm. It was worth a try. What did they have to lose at this point?

“Okay, let’s give it a go,” he said at last, “When do we leave?”

Hisster looked surprised for a moment, “I was going to leave tonight…alone. Don’t you need rest? It was a long flight, not to mention the…” He trailed off as he lowered his gaze.

“Trust me Sir. The last thing I want to do right now is rest,” Zoltar said, flattening his ears as he turned away. He knew the moment he closed his eyes that the nightmares would overtake him, consume him like never before. No, he couldn’t face that right now. Rest could wait. In the past, he’d gone nearly several days without sleep.

‘Best to hold out as long as possible,’ he thought grimly.

“Very well then. Meet me outside the tunnels. We’ll leave before midnight.”

The moon glowed a burning orange behind the clouds of ash streaming from Mount Mokewtu as Zoltar and Hisster emerged from the caves. A cruel wind screamed across the blackened wasteland, tossing up cinders and hurling them through the air. The smell of sulphur was so strong that Zoltar could taste it.

“Are you sure you’re up to this,” Hisster asked, his snout creased in concern as he looked at Zoltar.

Zoltar nodded. This was his sole purpose left in life; to strike vengeance on Nira’s murderers.

After one final glance between them, Zoltar and Hisster spread their wings as they turned away from wind. The next gust caught their outstretched wings and launched them skyward. In mere seconds, they’d soared through the ash choked clouds and were riding the winds west towards the Forbidden Hills.

Thu May 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi! I'm baaack...to leave another review!! Honestly I need to change this up a bit, you're prolly bored of reading this now.

First Impression: Well...another pretty awesome chapter this one. I do like how Hisster tries what he knows to give Zoltar some advice there...and looks like these two are going to go off to meet those scary ones and get that quest offered to them now.

Oooh, nice little establishing shot there...always fun to see these at the start of these chapters.

Well...that is a smart move on his part, he would definitely break down if he went into his cave there. Reporting to Hisster first is probably a good idea.

Well he clearly wasn't expecting anyone to run in there at that time...hmm...wonder what those scrolls might be??

Well he figured it out pretty quickly.

Oooh...guilt...that does make sense I suppose, technically he was the one that sent them on the mission although of course you can't actually blame him for the wisp talons just being plain murderous there.

Yup, Zoltar understands that luckily...hmm...and adding to that, dragons are just supposed to kill you outright with no warning either...so Hisster definitely couldn't have predicted that at all.

Well Hisster seems like someone who's gone through that a couple of times himself, which he has I think...I don't remember correctly but I think he lost his family to the volcano...maybe...I'm not sure.

Oooh...Wisp Talon scroll..well that's a fun easter egg of sorts to show why they didn't know about the venom....I'm guessing the burnt off part probably contained the information about that venom...at least that's how these things usually go at any rate.

Zoltar nodded. Hisster was right.

That does seem like the only way to do it without completely breaking down, super realistic depiction of these sorts of horrible feelings so far...you're doing an awesome job as always.

Well he looks like he's ready for vengeance....time to follow up on those "connections" that he has with the other dragons of the area to eliminate them I suppose... :D

“What are we going to do, Sir?”

Definitely very unfortunate there.

Well here come the ghost talons...thankfully I somehow remembered the name of that clan...phew...almost thought I forget....oh also the keepers, those kind of sound familiar I don't but hm...well...its time to implement the old saying of desperate times call for desperate measures I see...

Well yeah...they survived the trip unscathed last time....

Oh yes...the ice talons definitely suck...not Felistia of course...but her sister....terrible.....you know which felistia and which sister I'm talking about of..xD...I just realized how this sounds...xD

Hmm...yes the ghost talons certainly seem like a very powerful species of dragon....from the brief meeting we had...although....I've had theories they're more than just powerful....well I'll save those for much later...xD

Well...running from your problems like that is only a temporary solution Zoltar, you have to be ready to face them at same point, you can keep running away forever.

Very appropriate time for some ghost hunting...sorry but that joke was just waiting to happen there...I couldn't possibly avoid it.

Very appropriate night there, signalling just what kind of task it is that they're setting out to do here.

Ooooh...here we go off to commit some serious things and get this quest started already...I do love the way this chapter is structured here, Zoltar's single minded goal to get back as soon as possible really brings home just how much he just doesn't want to acknowledge the world at that point and then this ending...with another very single minded goal there...well..we know how this plays out...gonna wait until we can have these two be properly intimated by the massive ghost talons...xD

Overall: Well...of they go to make a deal that they can't exactly afford to refuse...well, looking forward to see when that one pops up. :D

felistia says...

Thank you so much for your review. I've been looking forward to it all day. :D

Oh yes...the ice talons definitely suck...not Felistia of course...but her sister....terrible

You had me burst out laughing here along with that ghost hunting remark. Your reviews are always a delight to read.
Thank you.

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!

Glad you enjoy these...xD

BEASTtheHUN wrote a review...

You know I like your story a lot. So this piece, I think, is really good. Unlike @MailicedeNamedy
I do not think this chapter is rushed, but do not just listen to me. @MailicedeNamedy probably knows better than me. She is older than me and has more experience. That being said, I like the physiological, "apart from my body", view. It seems accurate, again I am not a psychologist, but It seems rational. I don't know what to think of Hisster. He just seems, strange, as if he ends up being a traitor. Like I get that fake vibe from him. That being said, the dialogue is very good and flows almost perfectly. The flow is nice, it's very quick, but I think that for this chapter it works. Mainly because Zoltar is trying to get his ideal over with. I like the different Talons that we are discovering and the backdrop, or you could say worldbuilding. I enjoy the way you slip that in there. I think that's it for this review. Remember to take what you think was beneficial and forget everything else, but don't forget you are a good writer. Until next time!

Hi felistia,

This was an exceptionally straightforward chapter. I wouldn't have thought that after this chapter everything is already "settled" and there is a small plan to build an alliance with other Talons.
At the same time, I like how this construct Zoltar has built around himself feels like a fragile package, breaking with every word he says and inflicting new wounds.

Some points from the text that caught my eye:

He managed, afraid to say more for fear of his voice breaking.

There is something grammatical missing from this sentence. It doesn't make much sense to me at the moment, the way it's worded. I think you meant something like: "Afraid to say more in fear of his voice breaking, he stuck to the least."

"Ohh," Hisster murmured, a look of guilt flashing across his eyes, "I'm...sorry for your loss."

Wow. That "I'm... sorry for your loss" is really unexpected. Hisster doesn't show any feelings towards Scorpus and Nira and acts as if he had nothing to do with the incident. I still don't know exactly where to place Hisster. The more I learn about him, the less transparent he seems to me. I think that's a good character portrayal, keeping him hidden behind a veil. :D

"It's not your fault," he final said,

he finally said.

Steeling himself, he began to explain; the Wisp Talons, the ambush, Scorpus's death, their escape and Nira's death. The whole time remaining as cold and removed from the events as possible. It was almost like someone else was telling the story as he watched from a distance.

This is exactly what I expected Zoltar to tell Hisster. As if he were just a spectator and not the person who witnessed it first hand. A typical, psychological attempt at repression and self-preservation.
I would only change "Scorpus's death", since Zoltar (and Nira) didn't actually see him die. I would rewrite it to "leaving Scorpus behind" or something like that. Hisster is already clear at this point that they are both dead and Zoltar also states (before or after; I don't remember) that he saw him and Nira starting the journey.

"Are you sure, sir, after what happened with the Keepers? Won't allying with the Ghost Talons anger them?"

We are now entering a very interesting territory of world building with the conflicts and the history. I'm intrigued. :D

"Are you sure you're up to this," Hisster asked, his snout creased in concern as he looked at Zoltar.

A question mark instead of a comma here in Hisster's dialogue is appropriate.

After one final glance between them, Zoltar and Hisster spread their wings as they turned away from wind.

I think here the "the" before the "wind" has been blown away. :D

I thought the chapter was good. I was surprised that the pace of the narrative here took on a faster beat than in the previous ones. Unfortunately, it also made me feel a bit like something of your style was missing here. Especially in the first half, I felt as if everything was being pushed along a little too quickly.

I understand that Zoltar is in a hurry and wants to get to Hisster right away. That comes across well to the reader, but the hectic pace that I read into it means that your otherwise great descriptions are a little overshadowed, especially in the introduction. I think you could certainly add something there.

I think now, writing the review, it has something to do with the fact that the arrival of Zoltar seems "dead". As a reader, you don't get to see very much of the other Talons, and I think you could have added something there. The day as it ends, and the Talons enjoying it as best they can, would add more salt to Zoltar's wound (not that I necessarily want that), but it adds a certain drama to the one section to be read later:

That had been the whole point of the mission; to find out if there was a tribe there. It had been a devastating, but unforeseeable mistake. It wasn't the first and probably wouldn't be the last. It was the reality that they lived in every day.

The fact is that due to the catastrophe of four years ago, many Shadow Talons have retreated into their groups and do not have much to gain from the death of Nira and Scorpus. You would then create a new distance here, which Zoltar already had because he was a land scout.

From the second half onwards, it develops back to your actual pace and it reads better again. What I liked here in the chapter was that you got some new information that makes the reader aware of chapters to come. I find it very exciting how the story is developing now too, I still expected the Shadow Talons to go into a "war" against the Wisp Talons on their own.

You did a good job of portraying Zoltar in this chapter. He continues to look like he did in the last chapter, and has been given some new nuances. I like the short notes and comments you add during his dialogues. His decision towards the end has also turned out well and continues to look convincing. I like the little detail that he doesn't want to rest, otherwise he sees Scorpus and Nira before him.

The ending leaves one open to speculation. Will they manage to get to the Ghost Talons without any more danger or will there be a surprise in store for them?

Enjoy the writing!

Mailice.

felistia says...

Thank you for your review. You've got a good point in regards to the first part feeling rushed. I didn't realize that until now. I'll have go back and correct that later. :D

"The trouble with Borrowing another mind was, you always felt out of place when you got back to your own body, and Granny was the first person ever to read the mind of a building. Now she was feeling big and gritty and full of passages. 'Are you all right?' Granny nodded, and opened her windows. She extended her east and west wings and tried to concentrate on the tiny cup held in her pillars."
— Terry Pratchett, Discworld: Equal Rites