Home » Literary works » Poetry » Supernatural

Wayne Brady's Haircut

by Willard

This poem/work is based off of this very "inspiring" photo. Also the lack of getting good ideas.

I am Wayne Brady's fashion sense;
Awkward but delicate.
Very approachable,
And never fails at it.

I am Wayne Brady's teeth;
I (unintentionally) stand out.
I look weird,
Without a doubt.

I am Wayne Brady's haircut;
Soft around the corners.
Finishes off the awkward appearance,
Of looking like a loser.

I am Wayne Brady's picture;
Black and white overall.
Shines a person who tries to be loved,
But always stands tall.

"This makes you Wayne Brady."
Some might say.
I'm a teenager writing poetry,
Not Wayne Brady.

Rurouni says...

Well, nice one Strangle <3

Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 am
Prokaryote says...

I'm a big Wayne Brady fan. He's charming; yet I've a feeling if I ever met him he would make fun of me in a subtle way, and I wouldn't be able to protest without looking like a kvetching scrub.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:21 am
Iggy wrote a review...

You rang?

Anyways, I totally don't know why Wayne Brady is but hi, I'm here anyways. I like that you included the image of him. We're learning about visual aids in speech class (which I already knew how to use; hello, writer here!) and you used it excellently. ^^

From what I see, each stanza introduces the narrator of the poem as Wayne's fashion sense something of Wayne's and describing their characteristics. Nice, never seen that done before. ^^

Very approachable,
And never fails at it.

Never fails at what? Be specific!

I look weird,
Without a doubt.

The teeth, by themselves, look weird or they make Wayne look weird?

"This makes you Wayne Brady."

Maybe it's my sleepy brain, but shouldn't "this" be "that"? Would make more sense and flow better?

Okay, so I would tell you that you seriously lack some imagery, but I think this was more of a silly poem than a serious one :P but really, the image you included was great but it's not enough to carry the weight of the poem. Perhaps a little imagery here and there? Describe his teeth, his personality, his height; you used some comparisons, which is good, so don't hesitate to use more! But then again, don't use too many. It's a double-edged sword, that one is.

Other than that, the poem was pleasant to read and very silly. I liked them minimal rhymes and humor laced with an attempt to be serious and genuine but failing. :P Thanks for sharing. Hope this helps, ish.

~Iggy

Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:36 am
Snoink wrote a review...

One thing that you neglected to mention is Wayne Brady's lovely, sparkling eyes. They laugh whenever he smiles. It's like they reflect a hundred million stars... or perhaps they are light from the actor's soul that is given out, for he cannot contain it? In any case, Wayne Brady's eyes are worthy of poetry all by itself. In fact, I would argue that Wayne Brady's eyes are more poetic than this is poem. Don't take that as an insult... Wayne Brady's eyes are awesome. Most poetry fails when compared to Wayne Brady's eyes.

I think you also failed to capture the splendor of Wayne Brady's teeth. They are the definition of pearly whites. In fact, if you look up "pearly whites" in an illustrated dictionary, you find Wayne Brady's teeth. In some non-illustrated dictionaries (the better ones) they put a picture of Wayne Brady's teeth anyway. I don't know about you, but I buy my dictionaries according to whether they prominently display Wayne Brady's portrait. Some think I am odd for doing so, but I say to them that quality is better than quantity... who cares about things like "more words" when you can have Wayne Brady's teeth?

I also like paisley.

Anyway! I would advise making it about Wayne Brady's sparkly eyes. Of course, that means you have to rewrite this poem... but honestly, Wayne Brady's eyes are so poetic, the quality of that poem would sky rocket anyway. I say you go for it.

Cheers!

Willard says...

This has to be one of the best reviews I've read.
Thanks so much

wakarimasen says...

I agree! This review itself should be a published work on its own. It's also very poetic! Mind you, I don't really know who Wayne Brady is, based on the picture accompanying the poem, he does, indeed, have laughing, sparkling eyes. :)

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
— Oscar Wilde