Tantrum.

by Willard

It’s been two months since Nataly left me. I can’t say I loved her, but I cared for her a lot. I had the time of my life with her, and I hoped it would have lasted longer. She had to smash my hopes by leaving me, by saying how I’m too good for her. I am too good for her, and I’m strong, unlike her. I’ve kept my head up high, unlike her, and I have a future, unlike her.

I need to stop lying to myself; I’m a god damn train wreck. I’ve barely left the dorm since we broke up. Did you know that I’ve spent over three hundred dollars on Indie Rock music and ice cream over the last two months? Paramedics had to come to my room twice. Once because I choked on a spoon eating Ben & Jerry’s. Yes, a spoon. What loser chokes on a spoon? The other time was because of a mini fridge explosion, but that’s still under investigation.

“JARED!” A dark voice screams in my ear. I open my eyes to see Fitz, wearing a Batman costume. His brown eyes are within an inch of mine, and they have a serious look. “WHERE IS SHE?!” He screams as he wraps his arms around my body. Fitz manages to lift me up and carry me on his shoulder. My spine is bending to the point where it’s about to snap, arms dangling behind his back. Fitz breathes deeply, and then holds on tight. In a quick moment, he slams me face first into the floor.

I can feel my nose break as I hit the ground. My body is late to the party, as it lands a second later. I lift my head up to see a blurry image of the dorm door, only a foot away. I open my mouth to breathe, and blood rushes into it. With all my might, I reach for the doorknob, only to be pulled back by my ankles. I kick the hand holding me and push myself up.

Fitz is right behind me, breathing loudly. I take a deep breath, and spin around. He has developed a hunch, looking like a bull. I approach him, hands up in the air. Fitz starts rushing towards me, but in a quick second I land a punch to his jaw. His neck snaps to the left and he hits the ground. I lean my head backwards and gasp. Why the hell did he do that?

Before I can answer my question, a hard force hits my back. It sends me to the thin, dorm room wall. I turn around to witness Fitz holding the bean bag chair. Before I can say anything, he gets into running position. He loosens up his shoulders and goes back into position. I put my knee up to defend myself as he slams into me. It doesn’t help, as we go through the wall.

My back slams into the other wall, nearly breaking it. Fitz slowly separates from me and collapses on the floor. My knees give way as I slide down the wall. I hang my head down and grunt. I don’t know whether to question this or leave this mystery unsolved. All I know is that my back hurts like hell. I crawl out of the wall and lay down. Fitz is moaning as he flails on the ground.

I hear the door open. I slightly adjust my neck to see Mark standing in the doorway. He is wearing a Green Lantern costume, covered in grease stains from the hamburger he’s eating. Mark’s face is blank as he stares at us lying on the ground.

“Is it Halloween?” I asked him. To be honest, I don’t know what the date is. Month is, damn it, I don’t know it.

He softly shakes his head and takes a big bite into his burger.

“Did you guys plan this?”

Mark just shrugs and continues eating. I sprawl out on my back again and I exert a loud grunt. I wouldn’t mind dying like this. A dead body with two college kids wearing superhero costumes surrounding him. The body was tackled into a wall, don’t forget about that. Plot twist, the death was imagined by a narrator that sucks.

I roll over onto all fours and push myself up. I walk over to Fitz and offer my hand to pick him up, but he kicks my shin and attempts to get up.

“We’re here because you’ve been a whiny little pansy.” Mark says to me. I turn around to see him have a blank look on his face. There’s no emotion at all, but that’s how it always is. I hear feet shuffling on the ground, then Fitz steps to right side.

“We’re going to show you the world!” He exclaimed, arm wrapped around my shoulder. “Just kidding, we’re actually going to go get some subs and walk around.”

“Why not?” I replied as I moved his arm off my shoulder. Fitz leads the pack as we head down the dormitory building. Many stare at us as we casually stroll down the hallway. Fitz heads out of the door, but suddenly stops. Mark collides with him, and so do I. Fitz keeps silent, and then he points ahead.

There she is, Nataly, with Brad and his friends. You can see her blushing, acting all flirty. Brad wraps his arm around her and leans in for a kiss. She kisses willingly multiple times, and he is enjoying it. I know Brad because he’s the one who keyed my bike because I was dating her. Who the hell keys a bike?

Time stops for a moment. A part of me wants to cry, the other part wants to go and cripple him with a baseball bat. I hang my head in shame, and look back up. Fitz and Mark are staring at me, wondering what I’m about to do.

“Get the subs, I’m going to wait here.” I say to them. They stand still for a moment and leave. I sit down on the planter and watch. They keep on kissing and hugging each other, broken up with laughs of enjoyment. I realized we barely had that. All we did was hold hands and talk. What the hell did I do wrong? She seems happier now then she was back when. Was I that bad of a boyfriend?

Here is the part where Brad slaps her ass. She squeals, clinches her butt, and then laughs. I never did that to her in our relationship, actually, I did once. She screamed and threatened to leave me, so there’s a difference. I’m not sure why she had a problem with me doing it, but I know she wants him more than me. Should I bend over and take this like a man? Yes, wait, maybe, no, I’m not sure.

Maybe I need to go softer in my slaps, which could have been the problem. All I know is that I did something wrong. I don’t like changes, hence why I flip out when a main character dies on a TV show. You know how pissed I was when they killed Ned Flander’s wife? God, I nearly put my foot through the TV. Maybe I shouldn’t get off topic and be a more interesting and better narrator.

My mind blacks out for a little. I don’t know what’s going on, everything is blank. My mind returns when Fitz pushes me. He is holding a Subway sandwich to my face. I take it, and I look back over at Nataly, who is no longer there. She is probably over at Brad’s frat, spreading her legs for him. I cringe, and then I black out again.

“I hate when you snort Boggle sand and it gets clogged up in your nose” Mark says. My attention is back, and this time we are walking down the quad. I look down at my watch to find it’s 10:28 P.M. This is the first time I’ve looked at time in a while. Out of nowhere, I can feel a small pebble hit my back.

“Lowlife!” The voice screamed at me, and it was none other than Brad. I turn around to find him with his arm wrapped around Nataly, with his posse surrounding him. They all act intimidating, snickering at me. I approach Brad and keep my head up. With his chest up, he bumps me.

“I’m going to whoop your ass!” Brad screamed in my face. His mouth smells like Nataly’s, and it smelled delicious. It also smelled like cheap beer, and that was disgusting.

“You can’t. I still care about her, you don’t. I am the stronger one, you aren’t. You are fighting for a lost cause, Ponyboy. I already won!” I reply. Mark and Fitz are laughing in the background. I just realized I said Ponyboy. Nothing is too bad with film references that make no sense, eh?

“ You, me, fight in the middle of the field. Right now.” He strictly says to my face. I start heading to the field, about to fight the guy I absolutely despise. This has been one of the only times since we broke up that I feel proud.

“And expose yourself. Stop acting all big. Just take that act all off!” Brad yells. I start snickering. He said “take that act all off”, “expose yourself”. Might as well do what he said. I take off my shoes, my socks, my shirt, and finally my shorts. My whole body is exposed, well, not my whole body.

“You said take it all off! I did!”

“Why the hell are you wearing a diaper?” Brad asks. I look down to find that I am wearing a diaper, kind of bulky and weird. I am a baby who complains about everything. This is who I truly am. Do I know how this diaper got on me? No. Do I want to care? Kind of, but not right now.

I walk barefoot on the muddy grass until I reach the middle. Brad is right behind me, actually confident he can beat me. I stretch my shoulders and I turn around. Brad looks the same way Fitz did this morning, but without the costume of a Marvel, wait, DC superhero.

With his head down, Brad charges towards me. Once he is a foot away, I wrap my arm around his neck tightly. Squeezing as hard as I can, I put his arm behind my neck and bend over. Here’s a fun fact, I went to State when I was in wrestling during high school. I forgot how much I benched, like 325? Sounds about right. I put my left hand on his thigh and lift him over my head.

“SUPERPLEX!” I scream as I bring our body’s down. We both splash in the mud, covering most of my body. I roll over on his body and sit up. I start hitting him in the face multiple times. I stopped once it got boring, and that was after he stopped fighting back.

I get up and start walking over to my clothes. Everyone is applauding my beating of Brad, and it does feel very nice. Mark and Fitz hug me as I reach them, congratulating me on my victory. I look down at my clothes to see that they were bloody. I realize that the blood was from my nose bleed, and I shun it off.

Overall, I was glad to find out who I was. She wants a man who takes control, who is manly. I would consider myself pretty manly after performing a wrestling move on her boyfriend, but I don’t want her. She changes her mind too much, and I like a girl who is set on one type of guy. I’m glad that that debacle is over.

Until I hear a voice.

“Next time I see you, you’re never going to walk again! I’m warning you, Jared!”

Damn it.

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:36 pm
MoonlitDream57 wrote a review...

Humor-wise, you have a very strange way of making a reader laugh and smile. But it works, I'll give you that! There were undoubtedly parts in this piece where it got weird/confusing, like the roommates wearing superhero costumes(which I loved) and Jared wearing a diaper(just...what? xD). Jared is easily relatable, and I can see him as the kind of character any reader can like. I was rooting for him the whole time.

As for the fight scenes, it happened reaaally fast, as most fights in real life do. This might've been just me, but I wasn't sure what was really happening near the middle of the first fight. Did they ACTUALLY go through the wall in their dorm? Like "Hulk Smash" kind of thing...? Either way, you didn't it sound boring like a lenient type of fight--as well as the one with douche-Brad.

I would've explained the reason why Mark and Fitz were in costumes. Even if it was just for no reason(which I, as a reader, think it was) it would show just how weird and comical Jared's friends are. I didn't understand why Jared and Fitz had a full-on fight and didn't even talk about it or have any spiteful feelings later. Maybe Fitz was being in character(or he was angry at Jared for eating all the ice cream??).

You've done a great job at making the reader dislike Nataly and Brad as much as Jared did. No one likes a person who constantly changes their mind by going from one guy/girl to the other. She came off as snooty as well. Brad can just go shove it too. I was tired of his a$$ :P

This whole piece was very enjoyable to read. Nice touch by making the reference to The Outsiders, by the way.

Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:49 am
RoxieRain wrote a review...

I love the part where you said your body was late to the party when your nose broke it was a great description without being gross. Being the nerd that I am I thought it was great that Mark and Fitz were in super hero costumes, it was funny. I also really enjoy how much emotion is put into the story, whether parts are true or the whole thing somehow it is still really good. I also love your reference to another book. A really good book I might add, lol. And I totally laughed at the diaper thing it was ironic and so funny, perfect for the moment. I also like how the character takes things more literally. Also when he was punching Brad he just stops because it got boring... haha, who does that? It was funny though. Overall great story, your descriptions are really good, and the story flows nicely.
Keep up the great writing! :-)

birk wrote a review...

Hey Mandrake!

I'm seriously considering the idea that everything you write is now fodder for my brain. I love everything you write, with your 'strange' humor, quirky plot lines and satirical point of view. While reading through works here, I'll often get sidetracked and do other stuff before I'll return to my review. Yet, this never happens with your works. They have my attention from the get-go.

As for my thoughts on this particular piece; well, you told me that this was a much more light hearted work and that it actually meant something. And to be honest; I'm not sure I'm seeing any of it.

Yeah, sure. It's not as rough as some of your other stuff, but I'm unsure if I get the meaning. Or whether it has one at all. It just seems like another quirky, fun and random short story, albeit an awesome one. Unless, of course, this actually happened to you. Which I would find unlikely. And if it did, I would unfriend you, you diaper wearing mudwrestler! :D

Trying to decipher the meaning behind this work is hard. You tagged it as satire, though there's not much it satirizes, as far as I can tell. Relationships, perhaps?

I'm kind of getting the feeling that you're just running with this random, bizarre turn of events type of writing that you have become quite good at coming up with and writing. And that is awesome! But it does lead to some questions. Or rather, a lot of questions.

I'll cover these questions, and more, as I write along:

She had to smash my hopes by leaving me, by saying how I’m too good for her.
But if she thought this, why would she be such a 3itch to him later? Snickering at him and going along with Brad's stupid actions.

I need to stop lying to myself; I’m a god damn train wreck.

However, if this includes what he said she said about him above, it makes more sense. But it wasn't all too clear.

The other time was because of a mini fridge explosion, but that’s still under investigation.
Haha, I love it.

I open my eyes to see Fitz, wearing a Batman costume.

Alright, now we've come to what is probably one of my main questions: Why on earth are they wearing superhero costumes? That's just... strange.

“WHERE IS SHE?!” He screams as he wraps his arms around my body.

Aside from the notion of them wearing these costumes when there doesn't seem to be a plausible reason for them to wear them, this is also something I found odd. Why would he demand to know where she was now, two months after their break-up? If they were his friends or roommates, shouldn't they have tried to help him out earlier?

And I do like that they tried to help him out. It's about time for him to get out of this funk. However, Fitz starts fighting him? Aside from giving me a chuckle at this fight scene you describe, I didn't really see the point. Did he have to fight him to try to get him outside? During the fight, Jared tries to go for the doorknob anyway, but he is stopped.

Then again, these friends of his... they didn't really seem that helpfull in the end. They got him out of his dorm, sure. But didn't get him further than the hallway. When Jared stops, they seem completely content with just getting the food themselves while he waits there. #Smallaccomplishment

Edit
he slams me face first onto the floor.

One thing I'm noticing thoughout a lot of your writing. You often like to have several bloody fight scenes in them. Someone always throws a punch. ;)

only to be pulled back by my ankles. I kick the hand holding me and push myself up.
Hard to kick if he is holding both your ankles. Maybe just substitute it with ankle?

Before I can answer my question, a hard force hits my back.

This happened too fast. He was on the floor, the in the next instant he hits you from behind?

Suggestion
He loosens up his shoulders and begins rushing towards me.

Edit
It doesn’t help, and we go through the wall.

I don’t know whether to question this or leave this mystery unsolved.

Huh?

Plot twist, the death was imagined by a narrator that sucks.

So, you'll often do this. Even though it is a first person narrative, you'll break out of that now and then, to stop narrating the story and instead mention the narrator instead. I'm not too big a fan of it. It's almost as if you're breaking the fourth wall.

I get the feeling you would be a fan of Deadpool.

Edit
I hear feet shuffling on the ground, then Fitz steps to my right side.

“Just kidding, we’re actually going to go get some subs and walk around.”

Yeah, I'm still wondering what was up with that whole fight. Why the fight? These guys seem like douchebags. They even broke his nose!

Who the hell keys a bike?

This was downright funny. I initially thought you meant a scooter or something, but yeah, he keyed his bike. Indeed, who does that?

I sit down on the planter and watch.

So, in my language this means something different. Yet, the dictionary won't give me any good answers. So I'm not sure what a planter is. What is it? O.O

Edit
I never did that to her in our relationship. Actually, I did once.
Changed the first comma to a period. And obviously, capitalized the next word.

Maybe I shouldn’t get off topic and be a more interesting and better narrator.
Mhmm...

Suggestion
My mind blacks out for a little while.

“Lowlife!” The voice screamed at me, and it was none other than Brad.

So I said earlier that Brad's actions were stupid. And yeah, they are. He returns to bully him around? Douche. (You write douchebags pretty well.)

“You can’t. I still care about her, you don’t. I am the stronger one, you aren’t. You are fighting for a lost cause, Ponyboy. I already won!”
Well, I'm not gonna say I understand his argument, because I don't. It leads to a fight though, so we'll let it slide.

“ You, me,

There's a small space here.

Do I know how this diaper got on me? No. Do I want to care? Kind of, but not right now.
He's wearing a diaper. Okay. Things just get weirder and weirder. I loved the ending to this paragraph though. :D

Edit
I look down at my clothes to see that they are bloody.

Still some tense issues here and there. I may have missed others. I struggle with them myself.

Haha, sure buddy. You really have a way with these bullies. ;)

Alright, that's pretty much all I can say for this piece. I love it! Your writing is excellent, and it's getting better and better each time I read something by you. I'm a fan of your short stories, though not so much the poetry. Not to say your poetry isn't great. I'm just not that big on poetry.

I want more of this!

Keep it up, Mandrake!

Cheers
Birkhoff

Willard says...

Thanks for the review Birkhoff.
As for the fight scene, I got bored. This never happened to me as that would be weird. I thought having a random fight scene would be enjoyable to myself. :D

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:14 am
recreating wrote a review...

"I can't say I loved her, but I cared for her a lot."

I can't *that I loved her, but I cared for her a lot.

I think that from the very beginning, you provide a good sense of not only who the character is, but what he thinks of himself.

I enjoyed how you expressed his conflicting emotions when he sees Brad with Nataly.

"Maybe I shouldn't get off topic and be a more interesting and better narrator."

This is a suggestion, and it is open for you to ignore.

Maybe I shouldn't get sidetracked and be a better and more interesting narrator.

I also like your last line. It's kind of a good closing for your protagonist.

Overall, this story was fairly interesting. It had much personality, and it was very lively.

=-=
— JazzElectrobass