z

Young Writers Society


12+

What Keeps You Up At Night

by EKK15


The daytime turns to dark too fast,

The joy you feel can never last.

The night takes time away too slowly,

The light inside your heart is lowly.

It feels like a weight sits on your chest,

Your heart does not know how to rest.

It bleeds, it burns, it aches with pain,

While the world around all seems sane.

You stand there scared in a little case

Everyone passes by you with the life they chase.

You’re trapped, you’re lost, you’re so confused,

Everytime you love, you just feel used.

At home they make you feel like the villian

The girl who believes in you says “you’re one in a million.”

They scream, they snicker, they shout,

The words are daggers that fly about.

“But here’s a promise I’ll make to you;

One day you’ll wake up and it will all be through.

You’ll look in the mirror and smile

Something you know you haven’t done in a while.

It’ll take some time, this is for sure,

Soon enough your heart will find a cure.”

I trust her words more than ever

I’m glad to know this is not forever.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 191
Reviews: 16

Donate
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 pm
View Likes
ItsYsaaa wrote a review...



Hello there!!

I am here to review this captivating piece your heart and mind poured out. Before anything else, I definitely liked the strength of your word choice and how your technique of expression pulled me to the situations written. The rhyme is amazing. The themes are wonderful! It made me ponder about my life and the choices presented before me.

Your words are powerful that I cannot stop reading this over and over again. Well, that is just proof that poetry is a great way of expressing one's perspective. I hope you will write more of these and enjoy the journey of getting lost in a deep pool of words. :)




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 25

Donate
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:52 am
View Likes
LJF wrote a review...



I really like this. I feel like this sometimes, and I'm lucky enough to have a friend like the one in the poem. Everyone deserves someone like that.
As to the writing itself, I like the rhyming style. It feels like it shouldn't work, but it does. I do feel like the poem would have been better if you had spent a little more time on word choice- many of the words used could be replaced with other, smoother words.
All in all, it's an amazing poem. Keep up the good work!




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:58 am
View Likes
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing. I like the rhyming and the story is very captivating. Very nice conclusion as well. The drama kept me reading. What impressed me most about the poem is that it mentions a female who loves the insomniac and consoles him until he believes that the suffering is temporary. In short, she provides him with hope. Having a female companion like that like that is a blessing not all of us enjoy.

Suggestion

It wasn't immediately clear to me who the "Ï" that suddenly began speaking was. I had to reread in order to tell that it is the girl. Writing it the following way would have helped me.

"But here's a promise I'll make to you," she tells me.

Punctuation

There are sentences that need periods.





"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta