12+

Father

by Bellarke

What is a Dad?
Something I never had.
But I do have a father,
But he is only a bother.

He likes to yell,
And he never treats me well.
We dont talk,
All he does is mock.

When you are little, what is it like,
to have your Dad teach you to ride a bike?
To smile when you pull out your first tooth?
To make happy memories from your youth?

My Father does not do that.
all he does is call me a brat.
He calls me names,
Which claw at me like flames.

He will never be my Dad,
a good relationship will never be had,
all we share is blood,
blood that I want to remove,
as my tears slowly come out,
like a violent flood

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:28 pm
Swetachowdhury0 says...

Hii bellarke...sweta here.....hope you are fine and be strong dear... I hope everything gets well with time.

About the poem, its really well written, the voice of words is going perfectly... I can imagine what you are going through... I have heard names too but I just don't the car anymore... So I wish you do the same...

The last para was very depressing and I want you to not even think about it... You are not made for this. Your happiness lies in your hand... Fine them and be happy...

Bellarke says...

Thank you. You are very sweet. :)

Be strong dear... Then no one can defeat you or hurt you.dont give them any chance to make u so.... I hope you have a amazing future ahead...you are special know this

Bellarke says...

Thank you so much. You have no idea how much comments like these make my dad.

Bellarke says...

day*

Well then I guess I am going to disturb you daily with some good comments i guess... Enjoy your day...

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Samhain wrote a review...

This poem is very well written. It speaks to the heart of people who are in situations such as this that you portray. I really like how you consistently kept a rhyme going throughout the poem. Not everyone can do that and have it make sense and not sound contrived. This does not sound contrived. The rhyme is very natural and makes sense.
Now, there is one thing that I have to review on: The last stanza. It has quotations around it, it doesn't have rhyme or rhythm like the rest of the poem did. You were doing so well! And then the last stanza came and I was like, "Awww man! What was that last stanza?" I'm not sure what you had in mind there but the way it was written opposite to the perfect way you wrote the rest of the poem kind of took away from the piece. The goal is to not only make a strong poem, but to also have a strong ending to the poem. I think all that you'd have to do to make this last stanza better is to reposition some words and change a few so that it matches the consistency of the poem above it. Hope this helps!

By the way, my condolences.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 pm
soundofmind wrote a review...

Hey Bellarke! I'm just here to review your poem, but I do want to recognize that I know this poem comes from a very real and vulnerable place, and I'm so sorry you have such a broken relationship with your father. I know what that can be like, and it is very heartbreaking.

With that said, I wanted to say that I really like the theme that carries out throughout the poem of differentiating between a "dad" and a "father." I think it's a really good idea to clearly show how your father, though being family by blood, has been absent and not fulfilled a healthy role as a loving and affectionate parent.

I think this is my favorite stanza:

When you are little, what is it like,
To make happy memories from your youth?

I really like this one because it gives me clear mental images and examples of what you're talking about a "dad" versus a "father." It gives me relatable moments that most kids would hope to experience with a parent. It makes me kind of want to see a stanza that contrasts this in structure. You kind of do that in the next one:
My Father does not do that.
all he does is call me a brat.
He calls me names,
Which claw at me like flames.

But it's less specific. Instead, you start with just a "he didn't do that" but I think it could go a long way to maybe say something like "instead I got-" and then mention maybe two or three moments/memories that contrast to riding bikes and losing your first tooth! Just an idea!

That said, I feel like if you want to rework the poem a bit, you could be less on the nose about it. Starting out with "What is a dad?" is very straightforward - and not necessarily wrong! But I feel like some subtlety could make it feel more poetic (that's not the exact word I'm looking for but I'm not sure how else to say it!!).

Some of the rhymes do feel a little simple. Like "father" and "bother" and "that" and "brat" for example! It's not a difficult rhyme to reach for (not that all your rhymes have to be like, four syllable words) but I think I'd like to see you maybe search for more unique language to describe the situation! Nothing's wrong with simple words, but sometimes language that we hear all the time can lessen the punch of the message. I think there are stronger word choice options that could really drive the emotion of this poem home.

I like the line about being related by blood and wanting to remove it, and I almost wish I could see that imagery of blood relation carrying throughout the rest of the poem.

Altogether, I really like the basis and premise of this poem. I'd love to see you do more with it, if you want to! I hope you have a nice holiday season, and if you have any questions or want to talk more about my review and your poem, please don't hesitate to ask! <3

-sound

Bellarke says...

Thanks! :)

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Lib says...

Oh Bellarke...
I do not want to know how that feels...
I am so so so so so so very sorry, you can PM me whenever you want.

BTW, that is a very nicely written poem, I like it, except it's very... Depressing.

That last sentence just scared me, "Which I want to remove, to make a flood."

If that means make a BLOOD flood, then please do not make a blood flood. That would probably scare everyone!

~Liberty500

Bellarke says...

...

Lib says...

What?
Omg, I even forgot to ask... Is that poem, FICTIONAL or NON-FICTIONAL?

Bellarke says...

This is really how my dad is.

Lib says...

Oh...

Bellarke says...

Yeah

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 pm
Anniepoo103 wrote a review...

I really enjoyed reading your poem. It was very insightful without being too overly aggressive. The only thing that I would change is your last stanza. It does not seem to fit in with the rest of your poem. I would say something more like the following:
"He will never be my Dad,
a good relationship will never be had,
all we share is blood,
blood that I want to remove,
as my tears slowly come out,
like a violent flood"

Changing this would benefit your poem because it would leave the reader with the depressing message that you have been communicating the whole time. What you currently have could be a bit confusing to the reader .You see, as a poet, your main goal as to get into your reader's head. If you can do that successfully, you have written a good poem. to do that, many people try to have a final statement to kind of punch at the reader.
What kind of flood are you making? How would you remove the blood? If you do not want to change the whole stanza, rephrasing would be highly suggested and beneficial.
Other than that, I really enjoyed your poem. I like the simple style, it is truly a skill to communicate your message without being overly wordy.
Well done, I really enjoyed the read! I hope to see more of your work on here soon! Have a wonderful day.
-Anne

Bellarke says...

Thank you so much! The stanza you re-wrote is so much better, so I hope you dont mind that i used it....

Anniepoo103 says...

I do not mind at all! I am glad to help in any way that I can. If you ever need any help in the future, my inbox is open!

Bellarke says...

Thank you! You are very helpful! :)

snacks are relevant to every situation and your argument is invalid
— LemonTheDorkyPanda