To Those who Have Gone and Will come

by EverLight

Ancient souls of the past,

Noble and true 

Foolish and false,

You have shaped our future.

You have lit our ways.

Dying for a cause

Oh Men of the past

Many are the trials you have endured,

Many are your dreams,

Dreams of glory

Dreams of power,

But gone you are fading away like shadows gone but never forgotten.

Souls of the future

Remember the mistakes of the past

May those gone guide you

Learn from what they have done.

Least days to come fall into darkness.

A distant shadow of good times.

Whose voice is whispered in the wind,

Pay attention be careful,

least the sky come falling down.

Whose times will come streching across the sky 

into eternity.

Souls of now be good

Remember the days of old,

Watch your ways 

For you can change the future by every little thing you say and do.

Never forget it is us who will one day shape the world to come,

Shape it well.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:49 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again
to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend.
It isn’t my intention.

Please feel full free to cast aside
all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true
by being extra careful.

That having been said:

I like the way that this poem focuses on a very important truth, our actions shape the present and the future in ways in which we might fail to appreciate. Even the smallest thing such as a smile or a scowl can have strong influences far beyond what we can imagine by goading someone over the edge of deep depression into suicide, or being the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back and incites some violent reaction against others. In short, we can either provide hope or generate despair by the seemingly small things that we so or fail to do. We can either add to the dark, dismal atmosphere or brighten the gloom a little and prevent the darkness from being as deep as it would otherwise be.

As the poem points out, people of the past have all added their influences to create the worlds they did and those that followed.Who knows how many geniuses would have been born had Hitler not instigated the holocaust or how many wonderful persons would be alive today if Vlad the Impaler had not impaled all those people. We will never know because men of the past decided to add to the darkness and determine who would and who would not exist.

The poem points this out very well.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Suggestion

I would be careful with the phrase "Men of the past" because it might be interpreted as male chavanism.

'This must be Thursday,' said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. 'I never could get the hang of Thursdays.'
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy