Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Culture

The Power Of Truth-A Message For Christians Everywhere

by EverLight

Life gets dark and foreboding. You lose hope in all things, and you can't see a way out. You feel trapped. Your faith is zapped. You're desperate for a way out, and your desperate for Jesus's consolation. But Jesus seems absent. What do you do? What can you do? You do the only thing you can do. You keep moving, and you hold on to the truth. I'm not telling you to be an optimist, because I know it's the hardest thing in the world to stay positive when everything is negative. I'm not telling you to never give up hope, because I know you feel hopeless. I'm telling you to hold on to the truth because you know what? Life is hard, it has always been hard, it all ways will be, and there is absolutely nothing you can do to change that. But what you can change is how you meet life's hardness. In the end, either you beat life, or life will beat you, and the only way to beat life is through the truth of Christ. When life is crashing down on you, there is only one solid ground-the ground of truth. Truth is a powerful thing. It can make crooked lies straight, it can set you free, it can change a life, and you know what? All lies fall apart when faced with the ultimate truth-Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins. But you have a weapon within you already, the greatest weapon ever given to man, a God-given gift-the strength to change, grow, and move on in pain. The only thing hiding this power is Satan. He tells you that you aren't good enough, that you'll never measure up, that moving on is impossible. But Satan's lies, are ugly, filthy, pathetic, and don't even deserve your consideration. The truth is, you are enough, you will measure up, and moving on is very possible. In fact, moving on is the soul of being human, and guess what? YOU CAN MOVE ON. I'll ask the question again-What do you do when God seems silent, and everything seems hopeless? You move on and hold on to the truth. Because you know what? Jesus didn't die for nothing, and you do not give your life to him for nothing. But if truth is so powerful, you say, why do so many people hate it? Well, let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, on a Tuesday morning, my brother and I were in court, preparing to testify. I was a nervous wreck. I had so many doubts, so many emotions running through me. I didn't want to testify, but at the same time, I knew I had to. I couldn't let my voice go unheard. My brother did his testimony. I had another two hours to wait. Then my time came. I was so overwhelmed by my nervousness, I almost quit. Then I felt an amazing sense of calm and heard a quiet voice tell me-Remember the cross. I began thinking about how even though  Jesus had lost everything a mortal man could lose, he stood strong and stuck to the truth. Just take that in for a moment. Jesus was the most beaten man in history, but he held on to the truth-he was the messiah come to die for the sins of his sons and daughters, in hopes that just one would come to know him. It was at that moment that I realized if the truth prevailed for Jesus then, it would prevail for me now, and I did what Jesus would have done-I stepped up to the witness stand and told the truth. And guess what! We won the case! Actually, it was Jesus who won that case. For it was Jesus who reminded me to stand in the truth. The truth will prevail over all lies. I'll say it again-In times of defeat, keep moving on, and hold fast to the truth. The truth WILL bring you victory. JESUS will bring you victory. Never doubt that. Never doubt yourself. Never doubt your worth. Jesus will prevail. His eternal, all-powerful truth will prevail. And YOU will prevail. Even in your defeat. How awesome is that?

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 am
KatjaDawn wrote a review...

Hey EverLight, Katja here to review your article. I figured I'd help you get some works out of the green room, I hope that's okay! :)

As with all of my reviews, please feel free to disregard any comments or suggestions I make, should you find them to be unhelpful. That being said, onto the review~

Overall Thoughts

Your piece is filled with motivation for Christians- through the truth. Your piece highlights that when life gets dark, difficult, and you lose faith, the truth in Christ will overcome this. You tie this in by using a personal experience of testifying in court and when filled with doubt, you held onto the thought of "what would Jesus Christ do in my stead?" and in the end, you told the truth, and the court case was won. I love that your personal example ties in the entire piece's theme of "Truth". It makes for a well connected article, for sure.

The message itself, I mostly agree with. I think connecting a bible verse would have helped complete this piece, such as John 8:32 "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." where Christ is telling the Jews that believed his preaching that they are his disciples, and that their belief in the truth will set them free- a point you seem to allude to in your piece....

In the end, either you beat life, or life will beat you, and the only way to beat life is through the truth of Christ

I love the ending, where you wrap up the piece by concluding your faith in Christ and the truth won the case, that even when we fail, Jesus and the truth will prevail in the end. A very powerful message of faith and truth, for sure!

Suggestions

My first suggestion is to break this up into paragraphs. It will GREATLY improve readability and overall help the reader stay focused while reading. Writing in one big chunk is okay, but it's always a good idea to organize your writing after you're done, especially when publishing so that the reader can more easily absorb what is being written.

Secondly, I have one slight disagreement in your piece which says the solution to lack of faith in God, bad circumstances in life, etc is to keep moving and hold onto the truth. The very act of not having faith means one does not necessarily believe "the truth" to be truth and they are struggling to believe at all. It is very common for other people within the faith to say "just believe" but if it were that simple nobody would ever lose their faith. And I worry what the message of "move on" could mean to people going through difficult circumstances in life. Healing is a long and heavy process from many of life's wounds. A process which takes lots of love, support, and time. So~ My biggest suggestion is to consider that particular message within your piece and how it will affect someone else going through something very difficult. Holding onto the truth is not always the answer- in this case I would have emphasized prayer to someone going through hard times or lack of faith. The bible consistently mentions the importance of prayer and in this case it would be a good thing to suggest rather than "move on" which seems harsh, cold, and generally unsympathetic for a piece that is trying to send a message of truth and faith prevailing. Just my thoughts~

Summary

I really enjoyed this piece, which personally helped me even. I love the theme and main message of truth prevailing and faith in Christ helping us overcome anything. I appreciate this piece a lot!

With a little bit of focus on how some of the points made could affect others, I feel like you could help tie them in better with the rest of the article. By breaking this text up into paragraphs you will have greatly increased the readability as well.

I hope my review was helpful~

Keep Writing,

~Katja

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:03 pm
SimiDeJoie4 says...

Thanks so much! That's what I needed

EverLight says...

Your welcome! Happy I could help (:

Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:19 am

Hey, Ever!

This is a very motivational piece with a strong message. There's a lot of drive behind your words, which really helps keep your reader's attention focused on your words. I'm not sure why paragraphs weren't considered for this as it's very difficult to read the way it is now. Even if this was meant to be spoken, the speaker would have a hard time reading this without losing their place.

Anyhoot! I like the start of this and how you ask such relatable questions that get straight to the heart. When you're at your darkest moment, what do you do? Everyone's had this moment, and it's a good hook to use in this kind of scenario. It's during those dark moments that people tend to forget themselves and their faith, instead allowing a vortext of negativity to pull them under.

It was interesting that the solution, however, was to hold on to the truth. This was repeated several times, and only once did it give a straight answer: Jesus died for your sins. I know my darkest moment, and this wouldn't have worked for me because it never really ties into my sorrow. Even going so far as to say my sorrow is a sin, I only proceed to feel worse out of guilt. The point I'm trying to make, though, is that I think it could really help your message by digging into the connection between Jesus and depression. Instead of constantly saying "hold on to truth," dive into it more and use different phrasing to help bring different perspectives into the explanation.

Similarly, there was a point where it suggested "moving on," and I feel like that's dangerous ground. People with depression or anxiety tend to not respond well to being told that, so I'd be careful about who you're saying this to. Or at least work on phrasing it better so it doesn't sound like ignorance to their emotions.

I really like your court case example. I LOVE how this ties in to telling the truth as that directly relates to the message of your piece. (I had a very minor question as to why the speaker considered lying in court and should possibly mention that they had sworn an oath to tell the truth. That tidbit makes this idea of lying in court even scarier and more dramatic, even sinful.)

I think I've mentioned all the main points I came across. I'd DEFINITELY recommend splitting this into paragraphs as this will help separate your essay into bullet points that you're trying to make. It SERIOUSLY helps with organizing your thoughts and how you convey them in your essay, so consider where paragraph breaks would be. At that point, there will probably be some adjustments to transition better from one point to the next.

Aside from that, just a couple points I mentioned above that you can dive into better and make clearer in your next draft. Your ending is very powerful, very awesome, and I'd like to see elements of that finish mentioned earlier on in the paper so it ties up better. It all comes back to organizing your thoughts for a smoother read! :D

Jabber, the One and Only!

Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Stellarjay says...

When I read the title, I was like "YES!! I must read this!!" Your work was very encouraging, thank you so much for writing it! It's always nice to see someone who is also a Christian.
- Stellarjay

EverLight says...

Your welcome. The pleasure is mine. (:

Oh gosh this is so far from a lemur. That's pitiful.
— Jack Hanna