Autism Is Not A Deformity

by EverLight

I don't speak well

I fumble in my speech

I can do strange things

I sometimes have gross habits

But why do I have to hide it?

Autisim is not a disease

Autism is not a deformity

Autism is a gift

A way to see the world with open eyes

I am limited in my hobbies

And none of them are things you are intrested in

I don't talk much if at all

When I do speak no one cares to listen

But why do I have to hide it?

Because society fears what they don't understand?

Because society hates those who are ''different?''

Autism isn't dumbness

Autisim isn't losery

I have trouble saying what I need

Sometimes the messege is missed

I don't make the right gestures

Sometimes I can offend

But why do I have to hide it?

Why does society need to cast the autistic aside?

I am me, just as they are them

I am me just as you are you

Autisim is a blessing

Another way to be true to myself

Autisim is just another thing that makes me special

Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:33 pm
shieldmaiden wrote a review...

So true! Autism is a heavy cross to bear - being constantly misunderstood is awful. I don't have autism but my heart is torn apart every time I'm misunderstood or if I hurt someone accidentally.
But it is also a gift, just as you said. It's a chance for the world to be perceived differently. And often many of those born with autism possess a higher IQ level than others. I find that absolutely fascinating! Plus, complete honesty is a treasure! I hope I didn't say anything that offends. I am in admiration of this work and have a rather scant knowledge of the subject. Thanks for shedding a clearer light on the issue! Keep writing!
-Shieldmaiden

EverLight says...

No, you didn't offend me at all. Your admiration is very much appreciated.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:22 pm
CrystalRose wrote a review...

katnes, you continue to amaze me, this is the third piece of writing I've reviewed of yours within the space of like half an hour, but i am please to keep coming across your pieces because they are emotional and raw and don't fail to impress me! this poem really touched my heart because i have a disabled cousin in my family and he never fails to make me smile and i am so proud of him and i wish the world could see those who are "different" with the same eyes they see everyone else who is "normal" because we are all different and unique and shouldn't have to hide it. you were simple yet expressive within this poem and it is and inspirational poem. i have no criticisms on this poem. all i can say is well done on such an amazing poem which i'm sure most people are touched by. keep writing these amazing pieces i can't wait to read more.

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:15 am
winterwolf0100 wrote a review...

I love this poem so much. As person who has a sibling with autism, the subject really touches me. My brother doesn't fit a lot of the stereotypes of autism, and so it makes it harder for others to understand him. He is eight now, and is really extroverted and popular. Everyone in his grade knows his name. And that's great for him. But I've been wondering a lot lately about what it will be like when he becomes older and the differences become more apparent. What will his classmates say when he is pulled out of class to go to a "special" teacher? This poem really encourages the idea that autism should not be a defining characteristic of a person. It is a blessing that should be cherished, and no one should be judged just because they have autism. Even if some girls are athletes, people shouldn't automatically assume they are a tomboys. The same is true with autism. If the world could stop judging people with autism based on the stereotypes we attach to them, the world would be a better place, and this poem clearly relays this message through the touching question that everyone asks: why do I have to hide who I am? Beautiful job, and I cannot wait to read more of your work.

EverLight says...

Thank you for this review. Tell your brother I said way to go.

Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:21 am
Serty wrote a review...

This is a beautiful poem. It expresses the pain autistic people go through each day, to prove to the world they are not plagued with a disease. I have people I know who are autistic. Some of them have a hard time at school, with people not understanding them. I would love to share this poem with them.
It was beautiful. Keep up the good work of writing.

Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:51 am
silvermoon17 wrote a review...

I am basically in the same state of mind of you, I do not believe any disorder (was we call them) is a disease. I have a nice little way of putting it in, (it isn’t not mine) autism is not a disease, so it has no cure. It’s actually kind of a sad sentence when you put it that way..
as a little boring anecdote, I actually thought I had this disease, (for symptoms which actually led to another disorder I have yet to prove I have) because of symptoms I won’t name, and I made this little two- ways poem. It was sweet and stuff.. except a friend of mine changed upon it while reading my poem book- and now she believes I have that or insanity or wherever she understood from my poems. I hate how people first judge the fact you have that disorder, before even reading all the beauty behind that pain. But anyways, back to the review. I think there is a slight appearance of rhymes, maybe accidental, although your poem is mostly irregular at all points. Imagery and description is scarce, even completely absent I think- which is fine, but maybe you could’ve compared the feelings of autism, with another thing. I also like the evolution. You appear broken, almost distressed by this disorder at the beginning. I mean, you don’t insult it or repress it; it’s just like a shadow you wish weren’t there. And the end.. phew. I still think a nice little rhyme would’ve ended it all up quite nicely, with a boom which send us reeling. And that last line is perfectly true, «Our differences are our common denominators » -(Turkish airlines.) it’s almost as a super power. That’s what distinguish us from the rest, what makes us special- or maybe autistics are the normal ones and all commoners are the people we should call weirdos. I also hate how people use autistic as a common insult. I once heard « Oh that teacher forgot to give me back that paper I need for some reason, » (in a low, almost childish slow voice) « fudging autistic people.. »
But you can be sure I lighted him up, so don’t worry 🤗
(P.S: maybe a little tip on how your brought up the idea of seeing a therapist to your parents, you know; will be quite welcome. It’s not easy for me. I’d tell you why, but you’d hate me after)
Never should you try changing who you are, if you were as all the commoners outside- your life would have no savor. So keep writing, keep being autistic, keep being special and keep being who you are 💩

EverLight says...

Thanks for your review!

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:20 pm
Lib wrote a review...

Hi Katnes!

Hope you're doing well today or tonight, depending on what side of the world you're on, obviously. I'm here to give you a review! Let's get right into it.

I love this poem, and I understand it. I don't have autism, but my friend has it. She expressed it a lot to me. To let her feelings out, ya know? Anyways, I love how you've described that autism isn't at all a deformity and it's really a gift. It's so sweet and I really love the way you've structured your poem.

I saw a couple of things that I'd like to point out real quick. Let's start from here:

Autisim is not a disease

I'm sure that bold word was a typo, because you spell it right in other places but not here. Autism.

Spelling mistake! Interested.

Autisim isn't losery

It's not. People used to think that in my old school and they bullied my friend for it. It was horrible. She's an amazing person now.

Also, just the typo thing. Autism.

Sometimes the messege is missed

Spelling mistake. Message.

Autisim is a blessing

<3 Just the typo again. No need for the i at the end.

It makes you special and you know it. <3 And again, the typo thing with the bold word. :) Also, I've got a question. Is this based on real life? If it is, it's fine, and according to your wonderful poem, you know it!

That's it for my review! Hope this helped in one way or the other. If you have any questions about my review, ask me whenever and wherever.

And as always...

~Liberty500

EverLight says...

Some of it. I am on the high end of the autistic spectrum and I have a from of autism known as Aspergers (Not assburgers as my brother used to pronounce it) Which excludes the stuttering speech, and the gross habits. But all the rest of it is pretty much accurate. As you can tell, I do very well with managing it.

EverLight says...

Do you mind showing this to your friend? And maybe some other people? People need to read this poem. They need to understand that autism is a gift. I'm sure your friend will appreciate it. That is I hope she does.

Lib says...

I already showed her. ;) I'll show other people. Like my dad. He's a doc, and he's been working with autistic people who hate having autism, so yeah. I'll show him. He'll be very proud of you. I'll tell you exactly what his words were. :)

EverLight says...

Oh Boy! I cannot wait! I can see the look on his face all ready! XD!

"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
— William Shakespeare