The Five Emotional Lives of cats

by EverLight

Life 1 Happiness

Happiness makes me jump,

Happiness makes me leap,

Happiness makes me purr,

Most of all happiness makes me glad.

Life 2

Gladness and gratitude,

Gladness and gratitude,

Rare Emotions for us cats.

For when we are glad we are pleased,

When we're pleased we aren't thankful,

As gratitude is beyond our dignity.

Life 3 Pleasure

Pleasure is a golden life of us cats

For it lacks hate,  and it lacks greed,

But we cats are hard to please,

Remember that next time you hear me purr.

Life 4 Joy

Oh boy hear comes joy!

I want to run,

I want to  leap

I want to purr

Oh boy joy!

Life 5 Boredum

What fun its is to: 

Knock things down,

To run around like crazy,

Because we are bored.

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if i offend. It isn’t my intention.
Please feel full free to cast aside all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure its true by being extra careful.

That having been said:

I like that you have the cat itself speaking although we know it is really the owner expressing his personal opinion. But coming straight from the cat’s own mouth is much more compelling. It provides the explanations with far more authority than if a human were trying to explain the behavior. Of course, ultimately that is what it involves, a pet owner's viewpoint via the cat as a reasoning speaking creature. So it is from that angle that I will provide a commentary.

The joy of owning a cat comes through loud and clear. In fact, all the cat behavior is understood in a positive light based on the love. The cat can do no wrong because the cat always has a noble reason. There is no malice in the pet because it is something wonderful, a veritable miracle of nature and the pet owner considers it a great privilege to be in its presence.

The owner feels blessed to have a cat near him to be able to observe its noble antics. Even when it knocks things down and runs around like crazy, it is only because it is bored. Maybe bored because of the owner’s fault. But never because the cat is at fault or has any annoying characteristic typical of the species.

This unconditional kind of acceptance is similar to one of a parent towards a newborn baby. The child is innocent, cute and all its behaviors are lovingly accepted. Sometimes the owners even refer to the cats as their babies as the lady in the film Jeepers Creepers did. I really enjoyed reading this poem and it provided a deeper insight into the psychology of a pet owner.

Suggestion:

Because we are bore

[Because we are bored]

Looking forward to reading more of your work.
.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 pm
SnowGhost wrote a review...

EverLight says...

Glad you liked it.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:29 am
Queenie wrote a review...

Hi Katnes, Queenie here for a review. First of all, I really enjoyed reading your poem partly because I too am a cat lover. I liked how each stanza depicted a different life of the cat and how that cat experienced different emotions throughout each one. That being said, I do have some suggestions to make this poem even better; however, feel free to ignore any of my comments that you don't agree with. For starters, I feel like it would be more aesthetically pleasing and more structurally organized if you had the same amount of lines for each stanza. Since all of your stanzas are close to being the same length, I don't think that it would be that hard to condense or elaborate on some of them until they are all the same length. Next, I noticed that you ended your first stanza with the word "glad" and you started the second stanza with the word "gladness". My suggestion is that you replace the word "glad" in the first stanza with some other word to avoid redundancy. Also, in your fifth stanza, when you said "Life 5 Boredrum" you misspelled boredom, so it should be "Life 5 Boredom" instead. Additionally, in stanza two, the first letter of the first word in the last line should be capitalized so it matches the rest of the poem. It should look like this "As gratitude is beyond our dignity." instead of "as gratitude is beyond our dignity.". Also, as for commas, I would add a few in your second stanza so it looks more like this "For when we are glad, we are pleased, When we're pleased, we aren't thankful,". Additionally, this is a really nitpicky thing, but if I were you, I would look over the poem again because there are a couple areas where you accidentally put a double space where there shouldn't be one. All in all, you wrote a really fun and interesting poem, so good job! Keep writing, and I look forward to reading more of your future pieces!

EverLight says...

Thank you! This was really helpful.

EverLight says...

Please note.
There is more to this poem and all.
Yes I do love cats.
Please remember, to let me know about comma misusage.
Thank you for liking my work.
That will Be all.

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor