The Ghost

by Gravity

He speaks to me,
Throughout the night.
He haunts my dreams,
He kills the light

He will not leave,
I've asked him to.
He is darkness.
He's after you.

Fear itself,
Can have no fear.
You strain your ears,
So you can hear

The way he kills,
He kills your dreams.
And tears your brain
At the seams.

You think you know him,
But you don't.
He will not leave,
He is The Ghost.

Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:13 am
BitterRosemary says...

I'm not exactly sure why but I love love love this. Great jobs, sent chills up my spine. Very gripping, grabs readers right from the start. Good work Gravity!
~BitterRosemary

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 pm
Inspiredravens says...

Love it- short and sweet

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:22 am
KingofTheDamned wrote a review...

Reminds me of Freddy Kruger all too much. Not really a fan of him, but was a unique twist on horror/comedy. Other than that, this poem is quite elementary and soft-spoken. You play it off as "scary," but I find nothing to fear from it. Very Hollywood-esque and generic. Seems like it has that tight rhyme scheme as well. Maybe try to broaden out into other parts of true horror? Other than that, nice try at your hand of horror. Keep working on it.

Umm thanks. I guess what I meant by "scary" was more creepy. I actually did have some elements of horror in it but I edited that out later on. Thanks, I guess. Kinda.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 pm
Storybraniac says...

Hey I did that just to get more points. Anyway nice poem.

ummmmmm. Thanks. awk-a-awkward.... lol :)

Love says...

Yup e.o and lame.

sphealwithit wrote a review...

Sphealwithit here, happy reviewing day to you

I don't usually like spooky things but poems I can deal with. I like the way you said 'He is the ghost' it actually made me shiver a bit if i'm being honest. It's defeinitly different. The pace is good and from what I can see there aren't any grammatical errors to be seen.

Keep up the good work..

Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:37 am
AsianQueen17 wrote a review...

This is my 2nd review for today! I am working on getting my first star even though I just joined today, I guess I better get to the real review, by the way I am asianqueen17!

This poem is structured really well, I love it. Also, it is really kind of spooky as I read it! I just love reading poems! My favorite sentence would have to be the ending lines, "You think you know him, But you don't. He will not leave, He is the Ghost." I like that you italicized the is. I don't see any real problems in the poem, you did a great job.

God Bless!

Thank you! :)

AsianQueen17 says...

Your very welcome. :)

WindSailor wrote a review...

I really enjoyed this poem it had great flow and it was very unique. The flow of the poem really pulled it all together and it kept me wondering how it would end and who or what was the Ghost. You used great imagery as you lead up to the last stanza, which made the ending much more suspenseful. It indeed a great suspenseful poem, and it was all in all greatly done. I didn't catch any errors, it was basically flawless. Good job and keep writing. - Hsarver :)

Vivian says...

Who? Nice poem,don't think I'll have nightmares though. ;) What I want to know is, Who is your GHOST? Is that the poems deeper meaning? Is it guilt?

My Ghost... Well it's very painful to describe. You might benefit by reading my other poem called "The Beast". My Ghost represents the fear inside of me, as well as a person in my life. There's a boy at school and things have been complicated between us and he treated me like crap. So I guess in a way, the boy is The Beast AND The Ghost. But The Ghost in this poem was more about the fear of failure. The fear of what lurks inside of you as a person, and the fear that no matter what you do, you can't change the bad things about yourself It's a mix. So yes, it is guilt as well. Everybody has their own Ghost. The Ghost represents to others what you fear the most. I hope this explained a little bit. So yeah, Read "The Beast" and in the comments I put what that poem was about ad the meaning is really similar to this one. I'm glad you liked it.

Vivian says...

NicoleBri wrote a review...

Hello, pandabear7 here to do a review. It will probably just be a short review seeing as I don't see any problems. You have perfect grammar, I don't see any mistakes there. I love that you rhymed :) Gosh I just love poems that rhyme. I really like the poem and I am very infatuated by ghost stuff, I am into all that so I love that it is about a ghost lol. Its not really creepy to me. :) Anyways, keep up the good poetry! :)

Kisses,

-panda

Awww. Thanks :)

PeanutPhoebe says...

Wow...that's definitely hair-raising. It's a great poem, just kinda creepy. I agree with TheMessenger, tho, stanza three is a little bit awkward. The way you ended that stanza just didn't seem right. The ending was really good. The rhyming was excellent as well. Keep writing!!

Thanks. Yeah stanza three is a little awkward. Sorry :/

@TheMessenger @PeanutPheobe I revised stanza 3. Is it better?

PeanutPhoebe says...

Yes, much!!

Messenger wrote a review...

Knight Malachi here to review.
This is a creepy poem. But understandably so since it's a bout a ghost. So, your rhyming was superb . . . until stanza three. It was a fast-paced poem, and then I had to really slow down to read that stanza. It took the wind out of the sails. But you came back strong with the last two stanzas. I liked the way you described everything.
The last stanza really couldn't be better. It is the perfect ending. :)
Keep it up!

Thank you so much, and I'm sorry about that stanza. I would fix it... but I like the poem as is :p lol

TheMessenger says...

I understand. Who DOES want to change their writing? And I think it is not that big of a deal.

I actually made some revisions and I think they made the poem a lot better.

TheMessenger says...

Love it!

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review!

For the technical: "He won't leave," should be "He will not leave" to keep four beats and the flow going. "He is the darkness." should be either "He's the darkness" or "He is darkness" for the same reason.
Then when you transition to five beats, this line "You can hear" should be "You can sometimes hear" if you're going to do that, but it breaks the pattern you established of having each line or stanza conclude by the end. The bleed over throws the poem off.
And then we're back to four, and then this "At the seams." You need another beat in this line to finish off the four beats.
And then the last stanza needs the most work. I honestly don't know what to suggest for that stanza, other than to probably pick four beats per line as your standard and apply it to that to finish off this poem.

Hope this helps!

Honestly, I don't count beats per line. I thought the rhythm was fine and I think everyone else did too...

xxxXanthexxx wrote a review...

Hey Xanthe here,

I don't normally review poetry so I'll try my best.

I loved the 3rd verse. I liked how you express the fear all throughout the poem. The repetitiveness of the how "the ghost" is fear makes he seem even more threatening.

I find that this poem is giving me mixed ideas. This is probably just me but I feel that the ghost is a person's thoughts. When you say that "he is fear itself" and that "he kills your dreams" and that "you think you know him", it kinda reminds me of someone's inner self, maybe.

Overall, I really liked this. Keep Writing.

Basically, "The Ghost" is about the part of the brain that scares you. I can see where you would be getting confused with the mixed ideas, mainly with the "He's after you" part. his poem is about the fear inside of a person, thank you for commenting and for seeing that :) You're really good with poetry :)

xxxXanthexxx says...

thanx for explaining that :) and thanx :)

cylennenowells says...

This is complex, I can see you are fond of believing what is unreal :>

Thank you. I suppose I am. Are you making that statement based on the one poem or have you read my other work?

I believe everything was written underneath backing this page of yours :>

Sorry, could you rephrase that? I didn't understand.

which means everything was to be posted only here at this point :>

I still don't get it. I'm sorry. Forget it. N'importe :)

Gravity says...

@Kevikur, I thought you might like this.

*surprised scream* Aaaaah, NaNo!
— spottedpebble