I Never Want to Be Beautiful

by Gravity

My hand rests on the mirror,
my body leaning over the sink.
Up close I can see every pimple
every tear
every scar
every false smile
that has ever crossed my face.

Even as I dress differently,
even as my acne just begins to clear up.
Even as I put effort into losing weight.
I'm not beautiful
nor do I wish to be.

I have a pimple for every stare
every lashing comment
every sneer thrown in my direction.
I have a fake smile
for every fake compliment
anybody has ever paid me.

And I never want to be beautiful
so I never have doubts.
So I'll always know who my real friends are.
When they comfort me,
when they're there for me,
"beautiful" is irrelevant.

Because they make me feel Gorgeous.

sbf1102 says...

I completely enjoyed this piece. Gorgeous writing, all so true. <3 Never. Stop. Writing.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:07 am
LiaLia says...

Amazing. Beautiful, i feel exactly the same way.

Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:51 am
CheshireCat13 wrote a review...

The fact that you just brush off what "society' thinks of you and other people's opinions makes you absolutely Gorgeous!!! Never forget that just because you have acne or don't care to wear the latest trends, you are still beautiful!! I personally find people who are beautiful on the inside to be even more beautiful on the outside.. I love the end, your friends are your support, you go-to's. At the end of the day, the people that love you and care about you will always support you; it doesn't matter what haters think about you, and you do a great job of showing that in this poem!! I think that this is a truly beautiful piece and you should never stop writing!!

IssyDoodle says...

This is truly a beautiful poem! I find it extremely relatable and poignant, and I often struggle with other people's opinions. It touches on how fake society can be towards others, and how we strive to look perfect. You especially hit the nail on the head with all of the "fake compliment(s)" and "sneer(s)". It was really sweet mentioning how friends make you feel "Gorgeous"- they're the best people to have!! Thanks for writing this!!! ^_^

rxch says...

This is such a lovely poem. I relate to every word and I LOVE your writing style! xx

Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 am
LemisaLeaZeor says...

I liked how you capitalized the 'g' in Gorgeous, as it emphasized that word, making it a word of its own.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:03 am
Inlovewithwriting wrote a review...

This was a great poem!
I was literally in tears while reading this poem.
I personally didn't find any mistakes, and if there were mistakes I didn't notice.

"Up close I can see every pimple
every tear
every scar
every false smile
that has ever crossed my face."
I really enjoyed how you used figurative language. Keep it up!!
In a way I can kinda connect to this poem from my past.
But anyway keep writing!!!!!!!!!!

haha thanks. Everybody has been saying that they liked how I mentioned "pimples" and "Scars" like I'd meant them as a metaphor. The reality is, I'm covered in acne and acne scars. Thanks for the review! :)

Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:20 am
warionack25 wrote a review...

I thought this was a pretty good poem, nice work!
One thing I must say, is to make sure to keep track of your syllable counts in your poems, too many and the flow is all skewed, but you might already know this.
I really like the first few stanzas because it goes into specifics as to why you are being picked on and what you are doing about it. Very good description and very good atmosphere!
The last line is almost haunting, and confuses me, but I'm sure it's meant to do that, or maybe I'm just not quite getting the symbolism.
Still, really good work, good job!

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 am
mb1221 wrote a review...

Hello Defyingravity01,

The only word I would like to say for this poem is: WOW!
This is just awesome. It is, in fact, one of the best poems I have ever read not only on this web site, but also in my amateur writing career. Great use of imagery when you are describing the "pimples" and the "scars".

You have successfully revealed your emotions in the poem. Also, wonderful use of what they call poetic freedom; it just worked out perfectly for this piece.
Keep up with the great work! Looking forward to read more from you. :)

thanks! haha I love that you put 'pimples' and 'scars' in quotation marks. I hope you know those weren't figurative or a metaphor. I legitimately have a lot of acne and acne scars on my face XD

Harker wrote a review...

Comment: Hello, Defyingravity01! IronSpark here. I only have two things.

1. "Even as I dress differently,/even as my acne just begins to clear up./Even as I put effort into/losing weight./I'm not beautiful/nor do I wish to be." Maybe this should be a bit longer, to go with the rest of the stanzas?

2. "Because they make me feel Gorgeous." I assume capitalizing the G was a deliberate choice... but it felt kind of awkward for me.

Brilliant poem.

-IronSpark

LemisaLeaZeor says...

I can relate to this entirely!! Well done ^^

Hassanfs wrote a review...

This was a beautiful poem.
Just like somebody said below, I felt like I was the one looking into the mirror and staring back at myself. Related to it very well.
Loved the way it ended, especially the lines :

"And I never want to be beautiful
so I never have doubts.
So I'll always know who my real friends are."

Made me feel weird in a good, way.
Great job.

Hassan.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 am
Swavvy123 says...

I felt like I could really connect with this poem. I dunno but somehow I saw myself in this poem. It's very beautiful, the way you were able to describe her thoughts and the pain. I like the meaning behind it , it's very good. I really couldn't find anything wrong with it...
I wanna see more of your work!!!

Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:25 am
Sheiky wrote a review...

This helped somewhat with my take on my appearance, I don't believe I am beautiful, but I still have a select few who support me. This poem really makes me think of them and appreciate those who still hang around despite being odd.
It is a very beautiful poem that I shall have stored on my computer for future reading when the days get bad.

This poem did not have a lot of rhyming, yet there is still something very beautiful about it... I really like it. You have a way with words.

thanks! :)

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)