z

Young Writers Society



bed of roses

by postmalone


lay me down in a bed of roses

close my eyes and pull the covers up.

kiss my forehead and turn out the light

whisper softly that to you I am enough.

      

be careful not to graze the thorns

if you lie down next to me.

for when you wake I will smile

and whisper you are my eternity.

     

in a field of weeds you'd be a sunflower

the brightest rose there ever could be.

your petals would brush against my cheeks

as you blossomed into an everlasting beauty.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 574
Reviews: 47

Donate
Sun May 28, 2017 1:58 am
SubSubLibrarian wrote a review...



Oh thank goodness! I like that you specify your rhyme pattern in the description. And you have really great rhythm. I've read so many poems who have no rhyme nor rhythm. That's not a poem, that's rambling. Of course there is freestyle, where rhyme doesn't matter, but rhythm is absolutely essential. And now I'm rambling.
Anyway, your poem sends a very clear message and it makes complete sense. Some of the other poems I've read on this sight have been very confusing because the poets responsible attempted to sound smart by using big words that really do not fit in context. You, however, seem to be experienced enough to avoid this. Your poem was easy to understand, smooth and easy to read, and exceptionally pleasant. It just sounds nice and beautiful. Your use of tone and mood are fantastic and add to the poem immensely.
Thanks for allowing me to read your work. I really enjoyed it! Keep writing and stay gold!




postmalone says...


thank you! The phrase "bed of roses" was tickling my mind all day, and I desperately wanted to write a song or little love poem about it. It was like 4 AM or 5 AM on no sleep that I wrote this, eating apple jacks cereal on my couch in the dark while relinquishing my pathetic attempt of a life.

I kind of just wrote this with no editing and wanted to make it sound pretty (unlike me xD) but thank you again <3



User avatar
1081 Reviews


Points: 220
Reviews: 1081

Donate
Sun May 28, 2017 12:10 am
Virgil wrote a review...



This is Nikayla here dropping in for a review on Review Day!

So I see that this is a poem in the format of ABCB with the standard three stanzas for a total of twelve lines, and I have to say that I don't mind the rhyme that much. What I did find to be a little off is that with the second and fourth lines of each stanza, I found them to be slant rhymes rather than perfect ones, and I think it works well with the piece if you're trying to make the rhyming a backdrop of the rest of the poem. You wouldn't even have to point out that there's rhyme and I think it'd work effectively because it's not a main aspect of the poem.

What I did find about the structure that ended up being repetitive is the sentence structure, which I would to be rather weak. Throughout the whole piece there's this constant repetition where the first line has no punctuation and the second line ends with a period.

I'm going to suggest that you spice it up and make it more interesting with commas and semicolons where you find them appropriate for a stronger aesthetic and flow. Moving on from that and into the actual content of the poem, I found it to be generally romantic and delicate in tone, which I enjoyed. It's definitely not anything revolutionary and instead it builds on ideas that have already been touched upon before, yet it still works.

What I do believe could have been changed or made to be more original is the bed of roses since it seems that they're the only flowers that are written about in poetry. Go with something else! There are lavenders and bluebonnets and daisies and so many other flowers that are left untouched that could be written about. I get that it adds onto the trope but sometimes it's nice to see exploration in different places where we touch on subject matters or objects that aren't as familiar.

It works for what it is though I would like to see some more originality brought to the table. Tackle some new ideas to add onto the already built upon tropes of romance poetry that you've played around with here for a stronger piece, though it's already a nice read. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Image




postmalone says...


I kind of wrote this with scarce editing, and leaning towards a standard rhyme scene. The punctuation was another add-as-you-go without much touch to it, but I will review that in particular. As far as the "slant lines", could you clear that up for me? I'm not sure how to expand on that topic, though it sounds interesting. Should I avoid it, or include it more? Examples of slant lines would be what?

Anyways, thank you for your helpful review! I know I should have included more flowers, especially roses if it is in the title. I'll be sure to edit and revise. Maybe I'll turn it into a song? I'll probably release a poem version & a song version, just to see which one has more popularity. I did try to write like @marmalade here whose writing is beautiful and cannot ever be equal to my measly poems XD.

Have a nice night! I appreciate the quality > quantity :)



Virgil says...


Slant rhymes* which is basically an imperfect rhyme or half-rhyme that isn't quite a rhyme. They can be used well, though they shouldn't be used all the time. I'm glad that the review helped, though!




Remember: the plot is nothing more than footprints left in the snow after your characters have run by on their way to incredible destinations.
— Ray Bradbury