z

Young Writers Society



midterms

by postmalone



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 28
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:32 am
abbywrites22 wrote a review...



This poem should not be in the humor section. I don't understand it either. You have really good potential to be a great writer. You can do whatever you put your mind to. Sit down and write one really short meaningful poem to get started. Oh ps, I didn't read any of your other work so sorry if this seems mean but I wish someone would tell me this \.




postmalone says...


I don't understand why you feel this does not fit in the humor section. It is dramatic, silly, and gives a good laugh to the readers who relate. Students on this site can sigh with relief knowing that midterms are over. I know I have potential to be a good writer and I have written a lot of poems. I don't have to write a short meaningful poem - because I already have. As you are new to this website, take time to think of how your review can benefit others in kind words. I don't know why you didn't understand it - if you haven't taken a midterm or take drastic humor too seriously, then that might explain it. Good day.



User avatar
231 Reviews


Points: 3770
Reviews: 231

Donate
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:54 pm
dogsrule5 wrote a review...



What a great poem! I can relate so much to this! I legit just finished my last midterms and let me tell you the last 3 days (of all midterms) have been the hardest and most stressful tests I feel as if I've ever taken!

Hey, Dogs here for a review!

I love the imagery used, I can actually see myself and others staring into space, and I can see those going to the restroom escaping. And then wondering to myself if I'll forget my phone, which I actually almost did today in one of my classes, and my teacher goes "Uhh your phone." and I was like "right...." XD

Anyway enough of my lame stories this review is about you!!

You definitely showed how a midterm feels like perfectly I have nothing bad to say!!!

I really liked this poem and can so relate!

Keep up the great writing,
Love,
Dogs




User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 3
Reviews: 198

Donate
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:20 pm
Dreamworx95 wrote a review...



What a great little poem. Many of these lines can be applied to a lot of things, not just midterms. "We will not be rewarded until time's up" resonates with me for a lot of parts of life. Work, school, working out, traveling, even relationships.

"I stare into space/it feels like it's been forever since/well, since it was taken away" - I enjoy the ambiguity of this line and the way it dives right into the crux of the speaker's problem. I wonder what "it" is, "it" could be anything, time, space (both personal and metaphysical). I find the tone of this poem so real in the immediateness of the speaker's problem (the midterms) and existential at the same time. Certain words point to the existentialism, i.e., time, space, forever...

It's almost melodramatic, but not quite, "i can no longer endure this cruelty" is such a great line that expresses how distressing the situation is. Seven midterms crammed into one week, holy crap. I don't even think we had that many midterms crammed into two weeks when I was in high school.

I really empathize with you and I definitely enjoyed reading this poem.

Thanks for sharing.

-Dream




User avatar
130 Reviews


Points: 467
Reviews: 130

Donate
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:26 pm
AutoPilot wrote a review...



What a stressful piece, every word is crammed with tension. Have you ever seen a cheetah seconds before it takes off? Every muscle tensed, straining, quivering right before it explodes into a frenzy of energy? That's what this is. Only there is no release, it feels like late nights with too much caffeine, when you need to move, to leave, but you're trapped in yourself.

I love how you've written this, it is almost two stories in one. On one hand, you have the upset of the midterms (always stressful and annoying), and my first read it seems as though the thing taken away is your freedom, but on my second read i realized my mistake. Or am I, because I use my phone to escape. Through music, talking to friends, reading, etc. My phone is my escape from my head and my surroundings.

This whole thing is well written, great grammar, perfect spelling and an excellent use of punctuation that really adds to your tale.

Fantastic job,
Keep on writing!





Look closely. The beautiful may be small.
— Immanuel Kant, Philosopher