I Believe

by Cailey

I believe in the Creator.

I believe the world was created in six days.

I believe that the Bible is the Word of God.

I believe that Word is truth.

I believe in hundreds of prophecies that all came true in the birth of one man.

I believe that man is the Son of God.

I believe He became human, yet He did not give up His deity.

I believe He was rejected by His people.

I believe that even so, He died for the very ones who were nailing Him to the cross.

I believe that on the third day, He rose.

I believe He then returned to Heaven to sit on the right hand of His Father.

I believe that by doing so, He assured our salvation.

I believe that anyone who accepts Him will be saved.

I believe that He loves each and every person.

I believe He can use even the most messed up among us.

I believe the purpose of my life is to serve and reflect Him.

I believe in Heaven and Hell.

I believe that humanity is evil.

I believe that God is good.

I believe that no matter what I do, He will never stop loving me.

I believe my prayers are heard.

I believe my life matters.

I believe the Holy Spirit was sent to remind us of Jesus, to show us the way.

I believe my name is written on His hands.

I believe my life belongs to my King.

Well, I was feeling frustrated and upset at the world in general. It seems like people are just so, evil. Yet I know that my God is so much better, and He has a plan. I guess I am just trying to say clearly what I think, because sometimes I get so caught up in life. I have to remind myself what I believe. What I know to be truth. I realize this may be hard to review, but I do appreciate any and all comments.

Hi Cailey, was just browsing some of the religious poetry on YWS and saw this and thought I'd leave a quick review even though it's more than a few years old - turns out it's just as relevant nowadays. :]

Premise
I think more people ought to stand for what they believe and be willing to declare it for all to hear! As Romans 10:9 says, "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." and I think that's what you're doing here - making a clear treatise / stand for your beliefs and faith.

Content
As a few other reviewers mentioned this does piece does seem reminiscent of the ecumenical Christian creeds (Apostles, Nicene, Athanasian) the word "creed" comes from the Latin "credo" which means "I believe" so I actually think it's wonderful that you've written one for your own particular beliefs and sort of personalized / humanized / individualized these beliefs that many people around the world and throughout the centuries also believe but claimed them for yourself.

To me the lines that felt a bit more "personal" were particularly impactful like "I believe my life belongs to my King" the double emphasis on "my" really emphasized this. Another line like that was "I believe that no matter what I do, He will never stop loving me." I think that's a very impactful important faith statement - if you ever revise this for some reason, that would maybe be a suggestion is to see if there's ways you can make some of the lines even more personalized - like speaking of God saving the world, but then personally too - as I think that will stand out to readers especially!

Suggestions
You handle a lot of theologically complicated concepts with simple and direct language without creating heresy; which is not easy to do in the least! I like especially how you handled the divinity + humanity of Jesus. I think the line about the Holy Spirit was a bit loose to me? but that was the only line I was a little more iffy on what you were going for - since I think the Bible shows a bit more expansive role for the HS than just "reminding people of Jesus" but rather creating faith itself.

Overall I really loved reading this, and I'm betting it was an encouragement and witness to all who read it. Thank you for declaring your faith!

all the best,

alliyah

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 pm
Cole wrote a review...

It's work of this nature that leads me to no longer pay the 'Featured' section any attention. Because, seriously, this isn't great. I don't believe this has left anyone inspired (with exception to the already devout.) The rest of us are left nauseated, with the bitter sense one feels when a cheque is written but not cashed.

There was a feeling that something grand was coming, some insight. A sleight on religion, but it really was that blind.

Camronmarshall: There is a great deal of difference between helpful criticism and slandering the author. I thought this was very ill-mannered of you, especially since you really did not give any suggestions for improvement or helpful advice.
Next time, bring something worth sharing to the author, not something that will offend them and discourage them from ever writing again. Help the author improve, don't slight them. How very insensitive of you.

Now to Cailey:

I found that this piece was not like a poem, but then again, who is the one to define what a poem is? I quite enjoyed your piece. I mostly admire your faith that is clearly expressed in this poem and admire your courage for posting it on a secular website. Strong Christians are bound to receive hatred for expressing their faith as you did here.

Keep writing! You have a brave heart and that's always a strong foundation for great writers! : )

-H.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:00 am
Shakyll says...

VERY nice. :)

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:22 am
Snoink wrote a review...

I don't know. This looks more like a creed than an actual poem. I mean, we (my church and I) recite the Nicene Creed every time we go to church, and this is what it kind of looks like. That doesn't make it bad, of course, but I don't think this really belongs in poetry, where statements can be confused with metaphors too much. :?

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:51 am
elfin12 wrote a review...

AMEN! That is what being a Christian means!
As soon as I read "I Believe" I was like, ugh, another hopelessly romantic poem. Then I read the first line, and I was completely taken aback; I did not expect something so truthfully stated like that. It was really beautiful, no matter how simplistic it seemed. *Likes*

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:30 pm
Ranger51 says...

<3 This is beautiful! It's so simple and true! You deserve a cookie. *gives Cailey a cookie*

Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 pm
misstoria says...

I personally quite liked this piece, yes it was of unusual format, but the point was there. Do not let some opinions get you down, keep writing !!!

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:32 pm
camronmarshall wrote a review...

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:16 am
TinyDancer wrote a review...

AMEN SISTAH hehe ;) I can't really give a whole lot of commentary here because it wasn't exactly a whole piece, but way to get it out :) You could maybe turn it into an unrhyming poem? I say don't rhyme it because then it will sound like a 5 year old Sunday School chant or something. Just maybe put a rhythm in it and you have a lovely poem to be proud of! Keep preachin'!

~Jess

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:46 am
Piper wrote a review...

This sounds a lot like something one would say in church, like where the priest says one line and the congregation says the other? With some of them, I have slightly more liberal views (lets not get into that), but most of them make me want to shout AMEN! Times are tough, and sometimes we just need to remember that God is there for us. Now, I can't really review this, as it's simply a list, but take this into concideration. Write a story about it. A short story, where every one of these things come into play, and when it comes to something on the list, italize it. I just think it would be cool, and perhaps even more touching.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:01 am
TheRobster1991 wrote a review...

This will be hard for me to review, as a Christian. You put 25 I believes. And to each one I say: AMEN!

On another note, I would print this off and lamanet it. Stick it up on your bedroom wall where you can always see it

I would also (and this will make you feel much better), write a list of all the promises of God that he has promised you, either personally, or indirectly from His Word and put it up in your room. Then you will not only be reminded of what you believe but you will constantly be reminded of God's abounding Grace and goodness towards you

Maybe get a poster of "Footprints in the Sand". And yeah, this world will get you done, it will let you down. Humanity is evil. But never give up, never lose hope

Hebrews 12:2 - Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The emperor is rich, but he can't buy another day.
— Chinese Proverb