z

Young Writers Society



Reaching Rainbows

by Cailey


A little rainbow is stretched across the sky
Its arms are stretching oh so high
and I jump and run and try to take hold
and follow it down to its pot of gold

Then along comes a ladder of vines
that wiggles and glistens and shines
so of course I reach out to ascent
but the rung that I grabbed got all bent

So I tried again and again and again
and I reached and I felt and just then
the rainbow was gone- wiped away
by a cloud in the otherwise perfect day

So I sat on the ground with a sigh
and looked up at the oceany sky
and I bit my lip tight as I could
and wished for a ladder of wood 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
43 Reviews


Points: 368
Reviews: 43

Donate
Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm
DragonGirl11 wrote a review...



Hey Cailey! I'm not much of a poetry reviewer, so bear with me. First let me say, this is really pretty :3 I really enjoyed the way it flowed so naturally. It felt sort of cute and fun, and the rhymes helped with that.
The only way I could possibly see to improve on this is right in the beginning, where "stretched" and "stretching" are right next to each other. Now I know repetition in poetry is good - I use it all the time myself, and you used it excellently elsewhere in this piece, but right here it might be nice to choose something different to describe one or the other. Maybe even "reaching", just to pull in the title in a really solid way.
Anyway, the poem was awesome, and I hope this helped a little bit! Write on, and God bless!
~DragonGirl11




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 673
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sun May 27, 2012 1:10 am
View Likes
JesusLvr18 says...



You should read Cruel Trick! It's inspired by this poem!




User avatar
27 Reviews


Points: 673
Reviews: 27

Donate
Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 am
View Likes
JesusLvr18 wrote a review...



THIS IS AMAZING!!!

At first, I will admit, I pictured the Lucky Charms Leprechaun. But, don't worry, that image did not stick! By the middle of the poem, I realized what is could represent. A girl grasping out above for her dreams, for perfection, but just when she is about to reach it, the world makes her dreams dissappear. Honestly, the last stanza reminded me of Shel Silverstein. I don't know why.

Another reason why I like this poem, and there are many reasons, was the fact that I love rainbows. That sounds stupid, but I think they are a little reminder from above that no matter how long or how bad the storm is, there will always be a little rainbow at the end. Everything will be ok.

Yet another reason was the rhyming! I love rhyming! Maybe that makes me biased, but I think anyone would have to agree with me. It really helps keep the pace of the poem flowing.

I don't have any thoughts on how to make this better. I'm sure there are ways, as there always are, but my mind (the darned thing) is blocking them out!

I hope you write more poems about rainbows and such. I hope you write more poems in general. Heck, I hope you just keep writing beause I really enjoyed your style!




Cailey says...


Thanks so much! I mean, I know it's good to get awful cruel reviews that tell you all the things you need to fix. But writing is made worth while by the encouraging comments like this. Thanks tons, and I love rainbows as well. :)




I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother