z

Young Writers Society



Responses

by Cailey


OK, so this is based on 567ajt's poem. http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/work.php?id=94394It's got very strong language, so keep that in mind if you're going to read it.

Anyway, at first glance this poem seemed extremely offensive, written about Christians by an atheist. A lot of the comments underneath were angry and disagreeing, and at first I was tempted to feel the same. However, I don't think this is what he was trying to do. Yes, there is definitely too much language for my taste, and it's written with very strong feelings against "religious" people. I would never have used his words or tone, but in a way, I agree.

I'm a Christian, and have been for a long time. I'm a missionary kid, living in Mexico, going on missions trips, going to church and youth group and a Christian school. Anyone could do that. Anyone could claim Christianity. That doesn't make it true. A Christian is so much more than the outward appearance and the simple title. A Christian needs to change, completely, and give his or her life entirely to Christ. That doesn't mean an hour at church on Sunday. That doesn't mean hearing a pastor talk about how Jesus loves you, especially if the pastor goes home and beats his wife.

But, I'm digressing. When I read that poem, it hit me what the term Christian has come to mean. So many awful people claim the title, that it's disgusting, honestly. Yes, it would be amazing if so many people actually had given their life to the Lord, but many of them haven't. I'm not saying there are not true Christians out there, hopefully there are still a ton- but I know way to many people who's lives do not in any way reflect the Bible or the church- yet they claim to be Christians.

Hypocrites, that's what they are. One line mentions propaganda pie, and it made me think of how many churches are huge fancy buildings that scream "come to this church and you'll be saved and you'll go to heaven! yay! come to this church, not that other one, because they're bad, even though they supposedly believe in the same God. But... since they're a different denomination, they're evil." Ok, so perhaps I am exaggerating. Still, what aj said was true, there are a lot of hypocrites, their is a lot of propaganda and politics.

That isn't how it should be, at all. It hurts me so much that this is what an atheist thinks of when he hears religion. He thinks of the fakes, the hypocrites, the lukewarm members of the church who have not made a change on the inside.

That isn't what Christianity is. That isn't what we are. Or maybe it is,but I know, that is not what God is. That is not what Jesus died for, nor the reason for His resurrection.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 162 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments




The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz