z

Young Writers Society



Rant of a Calculus Student

by Cailey


I'm a writer, aren't I?

So why?

Why

did I take Calculus?

AP, since the normal

wasn't hard enough.

Now, I don't get it.

And it's only been a week.

I'm failing,

and the class hasn't

really

even

started.

I'm a writer,

not a mathmatician,

not a scientist,

a writer.

So why did I take calculus?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:20 am
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



I'm a writer, aren't I?
So why...
why
did I take Calculus?
AP; since the normal
wasn't hard enough.

Now, And I don't get it.
And It's only been a week.
I'm failing,
and the class hasn't
really
even
started.

I really like this part in bold. It flows well and when I read it, I can hear the agitation and frustration in the reader's voice.

I'm a writer.
Not a mathmatician.
Not a scientist.
A writer.
I feel like this part of the poem would be more effective if you write it in choppy lines. Written this way, it sounds the way someone would say it out loud.

So why did I take calculus?

This is a funny poem. I feel this way about most science and math classes I take. It feels like a waste of my time. And then I end up getting bad grades and everything.

Overall it's a good poem. The suggestions I gave make the poem flow better and sound realistic. You can take them or leave them, I really don't care.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




User avatar
50 Reviews


Points: 822
Reviews: 50

Donate
Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:50 pm
Pencil2paper wrote a review...



I loved this! I really like comedic poetry, or rants. I actually wrote a similar poem to this which was entitled "I Hate Algebra", which ironically, I wrote in math class. I really like it, and I just think that its a great rant as far as rants go.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 846
Reviews: 10

Donate
Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 pm
View Likes
AubrielRose wrote a review...



This made me laugh out loud! And I completely understand. One of the prices of literary talent is having trouble grasping subjects such as math. You got your frusterations out in an entertaining way.




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 844
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 pm
View Likes
makennaC3 says...



I like it. I can relate to the poem, and that's great!




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 333
Reviews: 80

Donate
Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:36 pm
polinkacreations wrote a review...



Hey there;)

First of all, very entertaining and unusual piece of writing here. Thankfully, I have avoided these kinds of terrors in school, but I still hated (still hate) maths, so I certainly know what you are feeling here.
However, I think you didn't carry out enough emotion in here. By using rhetorical questions and a much more fast-paced structure you showed me your frustration. Now, make it more.
For example, I really like the first two lines:
"I'm a writer, aren't I?
So why?"
But then, you jump right to the point. I feel like you should describe exactly why you regret this decision. Write about the pains of the subject, how you wish you could go back and not take calculus, how it frustrates you that the teacher speaks almost in another language in class.
Moreover, the "I don't get it" - should also be expanded. It's not very poetic language, that phrase.
"I'm failing,
and the class hasn't
really
even
started." - I like this bit as well, like how you used the one-word-per-line technique, shows frustration pretty well. However, don't use this too much, because if the poem is all like this, the emotional climax would not be so strong.

"mathmatician" - little grammatical error, - "mathematician".

"So why did I take calculus?" - may sound harsh, but not the best ending to a poem. The build-up has to be much larger - I want to know exactly why you doubt your choice about the subject. I want to feel exactly what you do. There is the point of poetry;)

Overall, very intriguing piece of writing, and I believe that with time and editing, this can become something very entertaining and well-written. Keep up the good work!





I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
— Bilbo Baggins