Writer's Depression

by Cailey

I write to find

peace

reason

comfort

happiness.

I write because I must.

Because I have no choice.

Yet there comes a moment when all else fades, and even the

blinding,

spinning,

dancing,

screaming,

hissing,

pouncing,

plotting,

mocking

words cannot bring joy.

I am left,

alone-

friendless.

Abandoned by the words I dared to call companions.

I am left,

a writer without words,

Lost in a sea of spoiled ink

and wrinkled paper.

Words- come back.

Bring back the love we once shared-

I miss you.

The characters are waiting,

The pen is drying up,

The keyboard underneath the screen is filling up with dust.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:43 pm
Renard wrote a review...

Ok, this time I LOVE the formatting.
It really helps with the expression.
To start with, I thought this work was going to be really depressing, however, after reading it, I have changed my mind. :)

'I write to find

peace

reason

comfort

happiness. ' - The way this is presented makes it look like a ladder of thought, each rung giving different meaning, which is really clever. :)

I love the rest of the formatting too, kind of organised chaos, reminds me of a fountain actually (a fountain of thought) XD

'blinding,

spinning,

dancing,

screaming,

hissing,

pouncing,

plotting,

mocking'

All of these words make a really good leap into action for the piece and prevent it from becoming TOO thoughtful.

Overall, I can't criticise. Nope... XD

Well done.

Cailey says...

Thank you again for the review! Do you have anything of yours that you'd like reviewed? I'd love to help!

Review any of my works please. XD
I am not picky. Feedback on anything would be great and most appreciated. XD

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:44 am
justthisonce wrote a review...

I really love your description in this piece. I think it captures/communicates what your trying to convey really nicely. This is what writers block feels like for me, essentially. The last stanza is really well written (it's descriptive and concise). I'm sure there is a particular reason you chose the words you've lined up in the binding-mocking section, although it's not exactly clear. I don't understand why you've created this strange poetic structure, but it isn't so obtrusive and I assume the point is to mock or resemble the disjointed thoughts, which swim around one's head during a "Writer's Depression." The repetition of the word "word" really makes me really think about the importance of them to us as writers. I'm babbling now, I liked it. Thanks!

Hi Cailey! Niteowl here to bring you a little Christmas in July cheer! :)

Now, writer's block is a pretty common subject to write about. That said, I like what you've done with it here. The format is odd, but it works. There's also some really good lines, like

Lost in a sea of spoiled ink

and wrinkled paper.

Also the ending image of the dusty keyboard was cool.

My main criticism is the block of adjectives in the middle. It's cool how it personifies the words, but there are a lot and it loses the reader. Also, it seems contradictory. If the words are gone, how can the speaker come up with so many?

Overall, I really like this. Good job and keep writing! :)

Cailey says...

Hm, I hadn't thought of that. That there shouldn't be so many because of writer's block...
That's a really good point, thank you tons for mentioning it!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:11 pm
arianaSarroyo wrote a review...

The format of this is crazy, but I feel lime it matched the whole feeling of Writee's Block. Recently, I've been feeling depressed because I don't think my work is good enough. I think this poem displays something that most of us writers can relate to, especially myself. Your use of imagery here was astounding, and you sure do have a grip of figurative language. The way that this is written is relatable, yet catchy at the same time and it really adds to the novelty of the piece.

Cailey says...

Yeah, that's kind of how I was feeling.
But don't believe it! After writing this I got two people who read my novel and really liked it, so there's always someone who will like what you write. :D
Anyway, thank you for the review!!

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:57 am
KnightTeen wrote a review...

This is a surprisingly accurate take on the one thing that has troubled everyone here at some point it their literary writing career. (And to anyone who is reading this and thinking, 'That's never happened to me,' then my friend you are either a liar or entirely new to this world and you will experience it soon enough. Not to be vulgar, but it is rather like girls and their 'monthly visitors'. It's going to happen to you sooner or later, and I guarantee that you will not enjoy it.)

I can truly find no real fault with this, and indeed you are an excellent writer.

The only thing that bothers me, and this is a personal opinion and therefore it is to your leisure to take into consideration, is the fact that the words are, quite literally, all over the page. Now, this may have been your intention, and truth be told there is nothing really wrong with such placement.

However, I found it rather hard to read in the form that it is. I had to keep jumping around, and several times I found myself looking back and realizing that I had missed a sentence simply because it was on the other side of my screen. It works as it is, that fact I will not deny, but I believe that it would be easier to read if it were all in the same grouping.

This is an opinion and it is your decision whether or not to take it into consideration. I enjoyed this piece and hope to read more of your works in the future.

Happy Writing!
HT

Cailey says...

Isn't it true though, in writing, that sometimes you miss something?
I'm working on a novel, and the pieces are all over the place in my brain, notebooks, word documents. It's easy to start writing and then miss something because I was looking in the wrong place.

So I meant to have the sentences all over.

But thank you very much for the review! And the follow. :D

Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:51 am
Blackwood wrote a review...

This poem is great, it really captures the feeling of writers block. I am curious as to why you close to arrange the lines like so. It certainly does make it interesting, maybe a little surprising.
I like your final eight lines a lot, they were the ones I could most connect to.
In the part where you say "words cannot bring joy" I feel like you should move it back into the middle of onto the other side, it is easy to miss. Also that sentence is almost contradictory to all of the rest of your poem. You say about how much you miss it and create a sense that words do bring joy as you plead to them to come back so I feel like saying that is a bit out of place.

Good job, I like it, it seems that if you do have any writers block it may be fading ;)

Cailey says...

I don't know. It was fading, and now coming back...
I'm just a mess and having such a terrible time with my novel. :(

But thank you for the review. :D

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta