I am No Hero

by tgirly

I deleted this piece because I'm currently submitting it to literary magazines. Wish me luck!

alliyah says...

Umm, where did your poem go!! :/ Hopefully your are just taking it down to edit it!

~alliyah

Juniper wrote a review...

Hey, tGirl, June here,

This poem leaves me with a lot of questions. I want to know what makes this character want to express their inability to be a hero-- all of the claims this individual makes against being a hero are enough to qualify a person to be someone else's personal hero. Maybe you won't save a town or fly via cape a la superman, but a big heart goes a long way.

I appreciated how you kept the stanzas short and sweet, and I like that the poem resolved itself with the fact that just being you seems to be enough. Keep writing,

June

MehPandaEyesToni wrote a review...

great ! great structure and use of words. I love the way! its excellent and good use of adjectives. i want to read more of your excellent work! your such a great writer and i want to read more of your fantastic work! i love they its set out and i love the way you have used speech and punctuation. Please post more of your work and give everybody the pleasure of reading it! :)

itsLayal wrote a review...

Most of the things i wanted to say were already mentioned in previous comments or reviews.

I really loved you're poem , it's pretty relatable and different.

I loved the last part where it's like

"I am no hero.
I won’t pretend to be.
But what I am, I’ll offer:
I am me."

great work! keep it up!! :D

Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:43 am
chancesnchanges says...

I really like this poem. Short, catchy & sweet =) .
"You're not someone else, you are you."

Hanorah wrote a review...

Hi tgirly!
I'm hanorah and I'll be reviewing your poem today ;)
First off,I love love love this soo much.I think everyone can relate to this in someway.
My favourite description was:I am a crutch that will crack and break.I'll promise I'll try,but I can't take the weight'<really smart,good job!The poem flowed throughout nicely,which in my opinion,is quite hard to do.You have so much potential,keep writing!i would give this poem a ten out of ten.

I really like this poem. It gave me a heroic outlook and the feeling of love 'somewhere'. I'm not sure where I go that from. The stanzas flowed together nicely. Keep writing, good job.

Innergy wrote a review...

I really like this poem. It is very touchy in a good way. I think you have great potential, I believe we all as human beings have great potential. This poem is a prime example of that. I strongly encourage you to continue writing, because I see that you have a good sense of passion in your poetry Good Work.

dark wrote a review...

I. Am. Speechless. (Or Typeless) This tells so much about you, if it is you, or anyone in one small poem! Greatness! Absolute Greatness here! The thought, effort and time you must have out in this shows a great deal here. Everything else has been pointed out already about this poem, so I shall not ramble too much. Keep up the great work!
~Dark

TheSybarite wrote a review...

Hey! Great poem. I appreciate the thought and work you have put behind this. The idea, too, is strong. You have executed it very well. Second stanza is my favorite. The third stanza is a little bit of a struggle to read, with "less" and "sense" not rhyming that much. You might want to change these words to fit in your rhyme scheme better. "I am no poet,.." I beg to differ. You are a poet, and a very talented one too. Great work!

Nargles says...

Wow!
So, I really liked this poem. I don't know if I can say anything new because most of it has been discussed previously. Also because there is very little to critic.
You have done a great job and I love the idea, that a person can only offer so much and even if it's not a lot they will anyway.
So great job!
Nargles xxx

tgirly says...

Thanks, Nargles! :)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:09 pm
tobydreams says...

Hello! I don't think there is anything more I can say that hasn't been said in previous reviews/comments, but none the less I had to comment and tell you how much I enjoyed reading this. Thanks for writing!

tgirly says...

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! Thanks for commenting and liking! :)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:39 pm
ashmel says...

Wow! This is a nice poem.The somewhat indirect nature of the poem makes it beautiful!
I especially liked the way you concluded it!

tgirly says...

Thanks! :)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 am
RoseCrown wrote a review...

Wow it's really amazing I like it a lot
I love the last stanza it's so true and I think everyone on planet earth would be
able to relate to that stanza.
I love the emotions in the poem.
It's amazing I don't see any need for correction :P
Keep writing and inspiring. :D

tgirly says...

I'm glad you can relate to it! :) Thanks for commenting.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:20 am

Hi darling tally-wa,
I'm here as per request to review thy poem. :) So onto the review!

Now, I know that capitallzing the first word of each line gives a clean-pollished apearance, but it's not conventionally necessary. Instead you could capitalize it where it's supposed to be capitalized in relation to the sentence. :)

First stanza 3rd line: "Can’t protect you or save you" I think you could cut the first 'you' to eliminate wordiness.

Besides that I think the 4th stanza maybe needs to be looked at a secound time
"I am no poet;
Barely can keep a rhyme scheme
But I’m honest and I’m here.
Ready and listening."

That 2nd line is just so much longer than all the other ones, and reads a little awkward. Maybe you could eliminate the word 'can' and put: "Barely keep'n a rhyme scheme" And I think that line needs a period at the end, or a comma.

Tallywa, this is one of your best poems by far!! I really am struggling to look for any thing to criticize. Your conclusion is beautiful, insightful, and heartbreaking! Sometimes we have nothing to offer someone else, but to be another soul with an open ear and mind. I said it before, but this could totally be a rap or a song! My favorite lines are these from the 5th stanza:
"But more than that. Also
A heart that has stumbled,
And knows your sorrow."

Your figurative language is absolutley wonderful!! Congratulations on some a wonderful piece, and I wish you luck in all your future writing!!!!!!

~ally-wa~

tgirly says...

Thank you, Ally-wa! :) I don't know why I always capitalize the first letter of each line in poems; I think it's just habit. :)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:19 am
skorlir wrote a review...

Mind the edges; take with salt.

First of all, this is an excellently executed poem - meaning it actually satisfies the requirements of being poetic: somewhat beautiful, somewhat indirect.

I will conduct this review by stanza.

I am no hero.
I’ll never stop the pain.
Can’t protect you or save you
Or hurt who’s to blame.

I like this opening stanza. There is nothing concrete I can split words about. But a couple suggestions nonetheless:
"who's to blame" sounds almost questioning. Odd choice - but probably just an accident. I would expand "who's," and the expansion does not hurt the timing of the stanza, and removes the slightly questioning, terse tone.
It bothers me more and more as I read and re-read that the third line does not have a subject. This is a poem, and one may take license with grammar in a poem. But do it with care. Perhaps consider adding an "I" or changing around some punctuation.

I am a crutch
That will crack and break
I promise I’ll try,
But I can’t take the weight.

Perhaps add a period after "break".
Also the last line could, perhaps, be revised to clear up an inconsistency. This always feels gritty to me - deeper stuff than grammar and poetic form. Anyway. "But I can't take the weight" sounds like you are admitting defeat preemptively. Slightly unfortunate. Possible revisions to take off this slight edge include: "But I can't hold all weight," "But I cannot bear much weight," "to take the weight" (requiring the removal of the prior line's comma).

I am no wiser
Than you are; less!
This path that I’m on:
It makes no sense.

I dislike your colon in line three. And the word "that." Remove "that," expand "I'm" to "I am," thereby conserving syllabic length. Try something other than a colon. Ellipses? See what you think best. But don't just ignore the idea of changing - if you leave it alone, do it not because nothing else seems better, but because leaving it alone serves the poem best.

I am no poet;
Barely can keep a rhyme scheme
But I’m honest and I’m here.
Ready and listening.

The words of this stanza I cannot take issue with. Excellent diction and good rhyme. Check your punctuation though. Some of it is questionable, some of it is vague, some of it is... suggested. "Barely can keep a rhyme scheme but I'm honest and I'm here" feels like a run-on when all spread out. Breaks are not a substitute for punctuation unless all inter-linear punctuation is in the form of breaks - or unless there is some poetic purpose to the break-as-punctuation - but here this is not the case (I don't think).

I am an ear,
But more than that. Also
A heart that has stumbled,
And knows your sorrow.

Your second line breaks awkwardly. Of all stanzas, this I would rework. I might start by removing "also" and setting up a different rhyme.

I am no hero
I won’t pretend to be
But what I am, I’ll offer:
I am me.

Wraps up capably. Again, mind those places where you have chosen line breaks over punctuation. Pretty much, the words are exquisite. Don't even look at them cross-eyed.

Altogether, this is a poem which, albeit not a "breath of fresh air," is an excellent fielder in a well-known game. The patches I mentioned above can be easily polished, and the poem has a deserving place in my memory (and as a review).

Be forever hortatory,

~Skorlir

tgirly says...

Thank you for the advice! It was really helpful; I completely forgot to look at punctuation before posting.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:11 am
KnightZero says...

Great to read, and I like the message and thought put into this poem. The analogies and connections you relate it to are excellent and who it is composed it decent,too.

tgirly says...

Thank you and welcome to YWS!! :)

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:41 am

I can totally relate to this. It is really well done and I love that you found a way to put this in word because I've been trying to forever and never could. Like I said, well done, love(:

tgirly says...

Thanks for the comment and the like! :)

tgirly says...

Thanks for the comment and the like!

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:04 am
MaskedGurl says...

I really enjoyed reading this, you did a great job well done :)

tgirly says...

Thank you! :) And I like the butterfly in your avatar.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:17 pm
Sonder says...

This is great. I really enjoyed it. No corrections, from what I can see. :)

tgirly says...

Thank you so much!!

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 pm
Sarrasponda says...

amazing :P

tgirly says...

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it. :)

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.
— Plato