z

Young Writers Society



Fields of Vision

by tgirly


I know I can't give you a dream.
That silhouettes are an improper substitute.
You scoff at the ashes I cling to,
the embers whose light you cannot see.
Your eyes have been blinded by a sun I shall never find.
This gives your skin no glow, and still
darkness follows where you go.
The taller you stand, the more you lift your head,
the longer it grows.

My imaginings may give you no comfort,
but they light my eyes and cast my world in softer shades.
They give me hope.
That must count for something.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm
View Likes
Audy wrote a review...



Tgirly,

Philosophical poems focused on ideas are really difficult to write well. They tend to be lofty, too caught-up in its own ideas to really say anything. What I like about this poem is that there's something more grounded buried in here. A conversation between two people, the speaker who has a vision of hope with the prospect of their life as the cave, and one who has a vision of disillusionment. I generally like how the poem presents these two perspectives and entitles it as "Fields of Vision" meaning there are many, many perspectives out there, and that is pleasing.

However, I'll be honest too to say that most of what we get in the poem is all conversation and not the full reference to the conversation. Like we're a listener listening in to a phone conversation. Alliyah mentioned plato's cave so I ran with it. But the poem makes no such allusion. Rather, originally and in my first reading of it, most of what I got were contrasting elements of light and dark, ash and sun, shadows, shades, etc. By itself, these words do not allude to the cave, so it's a leap on the part of the reader to get there by any means.

This poem is ambitious. Which is not a bad thing. Go big, or go home, right? And it fascinates itself with ideas, which again, is not a bad thing. But is it accessible? Is it interesting on its own? Is it clear? These are the weaknesses.

Suggestions on improvement:

Clarity - Make your allusions boldly. Don't hint at them, don't hide them, don't try to make it a mystery. Give it to us straight: This is a poem about Plato's allegory, or if it's not a poem about the cave, then tell us what it's about. You can do this boldly by re-titling it with the allusion in mind, or you can make an allusion with the first line, or give us a quote to the allegory. Then everybody can be on the same page.

Interesting - Let's face it. Light and dark motifs are...boring. They are commonly used, and they are more like tones or techniques than actual subject matters. You want to use light and dark elements to highlight and shade your subject, you don't want to over-season these motifs so that they become your subject. What interested me about the poem were the people of the poem and the debate that rages on between them. The poem becomes about the debate between them said in a matter of light and dark motifs, but wouldn't it be more interesting to see in imagery and not tones, these people and their visions? If the speaker sees light in the embers of ashes, show us that world in grounded-terms. It can be as simple as the light in something so terrible as a car accident, or a family member's death. And if the "you" in the poem sees clearly but somberly the darkness, show us this in grounded-terms. The injustice of the accident may plague on "you's" mind, perhaps they only see in terms of numbers and statistics, you can invent anything, but grounding us is key to our enjoyment of the piece.

I think in doing these two improvements in combination, you will automatically also resolve the poem's accessibility.

Let me know if this helps, I'd be happy to chat more.

~ as always, Audy




tgirly says...


This review is crazy helpful. I'm going to do some substantial edits on this poem, takings yours and others' advice, and if you wouldn't mind, I'll send you a link to the revised version because I'd like to get your thoughts on that as well.
Thanks for the words of wisdom.
-tgirly



User avatar
216 Reviews


Points: 93
Reviews: 216

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:07 am
View Likes
DivergentDemigod wrote a review...



Great job! I really love the theme of your poem. Your choice of words-its really remarkable. I don't really know what "Plato's allegory of the Cave" is, but I still like your poem. I love it's flow and the way you used 'blinded by the Sun'
Overall amazing work!
Never quit writing,(you are too good to do it)
Fangirl~




alliyah says...


http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/re ... ion7.rhtml Read this for more information on Plato's allegory of the Cave; or you could just read The Republic by Plato (but who has time for that?) :) It's a bit confusing, but will blow your mind if you check it out.



tgirly says...


I didn't know spark notes had a summary of the allegory; I'll have to check that out. And thanks, fangirl, for the ever-encouraging compliments. :)



User avatar
1227 Reviews


Points: 144400
Reviews: 1227

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 am
View Likes
alliyah says...



Awww! I hope that I'm understanding correctly that this poem is a reference to Plato's allegory of the Cave. In which case, AWESOME!!! Anyone who has not read, should read that. I think this poem could be longer; I get the sentiment but I don't see the story.
Great poem tgirly!

~alliyah




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 5094
Reviews: 80

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:04 am
Picklesole says...



Hello! I really like the idea behind your poem! I like how you represent the biases of the different people as very different things: ashes and the sun. What is also interesting is how you describe the other person as having attributes you would normally pair with ashes, not the sun (ex. no glow, darkness following). However, I don't quite understand the second stanza. Why would the narrator get hope from the other person's obvious biases? If you could make that part a little clearer, that'd be great! Other than that I liked it a lot!

-picklesole




User avatar
80 Reviews


Points: 5094
Reviews: 80

Donate
Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:04 am
View Likes
Picklesole wrote a review...



Hello! I really like the idea behind your poem! I like how you represent the biases of the different people as very different things: ashes and the sun. What is also interesting is how you describe the other person as having attributes you would normally pair with ashes, not the sun (ex. no glow, darkness following). However, I don't quite understand the second stanza. Why would the narrator get hope from the other person's obvious biases? If you could make that part a little clearer, that'd be great! Other than that I liked it a lot!

-picklesole




tgirly says...


Thanks; I'll see what I can do to make the poem clearer and expand on it.




We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart