z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

The Generation

by tgirly


We’re the next generation.

We can explain.

We were raised this way.

It’s not all our fault,

but that half-excuse won’t cut it for long.

------We don’t see what’s wrong.

We’re just having fun.

We say we don’t care what you think.

What we mean is

we don’t care. About anything.

(We’re not supposed to;

that’s uncool.)

-----We long to grow up,

that’s all we really want; let us be!

We race off to proms and parties,

to grind and Lord knows what else,

still feel like little kids in their momma’s heels,

painting makeup over our foreheads.

-----We all want the same thing:

to find love, pure and true.

But we’re going about it entirely wrong.

We think if we could date all of them,

we’d figure out which one was right.

None of it’s work yet,

but we’ll give our tears a wipe

and give it another try.

-----We are the future generation,

because that’s all we see,

not knowing we’re a part of now too

that the future will never come.

But you’ve convinced us to wait for ‘our time’,

so we will.

-----In the mean time,

between now and eighteen,

we’ll joke and smoke and commit crimes,

Swear at everything.

You say it’s just a faze

which everyone goes through.

We’re not so sure anymore.

-----We’re a messed up generation.

Sad, but true.

But- were any others any better?

Were you?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
187 Reviews


Points: 13001
Reviews: 187

Donate
Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:37 pm
View Likes
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...



PeanutPhoebe, here to review. Great job on the poem, but it is a little depressing. I know some of our generation is like this, but not all of it!! We, and only we, with God's help, can change the sad truthfulness of this poem. I like the rhyme and beat of this poem, they work well. I don't get what the dashes are for...? I think you could have broken it up into stanzas to make it flow better. Good work, and keep writing!!

PeanutPhoebe




tgirly says...


Formatting error; the dashes represent stanzas.
Yeah, I know it's not all. Great commentary, and thanks for the review!



User avatar


Points: 375
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm
View Likes



Hello tgirly.I just wanted to tell you that I think you did an amazing job on this.I completely agree with how you depicted this generation.I think so many things are always over looked now a days as well as not taking seriously.I think that if more people in our generation realized the effects and consequences of things that they do then maybe this generation could make the world a little better.




User avatar
363 Reviews


Points: 28237
Reviews: 363

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm
DreamWork wrote a review...



Hi tgirly,here is Dark to give review on your poem!

Let's go to the points here:

# We’re the next generation.
We can explain.
We were raised this way.
It’s not all our fault,-->This first lines doesn't seem to work very well.When I read this stanza,I think there are lines that are left. That is, it has not been able to explain the real meaning yet.But I do agree with the first statement in your poem here,"We’re the next generation.We can explain."-->You didn't tell the reason behind it,but you let the reader think about it themselves.

# What we mean is
we don’t care. About anything. -->I don't know why,but you really need to be careful with punctuation here :)

The rest is amazing.I love how you tell the reader here via your own words.It was a true + sad reality here.Overall,you doing a great job here!Keep it up and keep writing.
Kudos,cheers
~Dark




User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 445
Reviews: 8

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:21 pm
View Likes
shannonlyons wrote a review...



I really liked this! It truly depicts the character of today's generation, and while it seems wrong to stereotype all young people as immoral and immature, I can't say I would have done any different. I look at the people in my classes, the disrespect they show, and I'm saddened. I look at the pictures being posted on social media sites, constant 'selfies' and cries for attention, and I'm saddened. And then I see the pictures of my grandmother, dressed for her first day of high school some fifty years ago and I'm struck with envy. Even in the photographs, there's a quality if class and morality that our generation seems to lack. In the stories my grandparents and even parents at tell about how they met, there is an essence if true romantiscm. You are right in that our generation doesn't have that. We have been programmed to act the way that society identify as cool. We measure ourselves in how far we've gone, how much we don't care. The truth is, we so care. Everyone seeks love and respect inside and somehow this generation had it in their heads that they must degrade themselves to achieve that love and respect- that to die for popularity. I know I'm going on a rampage now but my point is, I could t agree with you more. I hope that as our generation grows in age, we mature. I hope that when I have grandchildren, I can show them photographs that make me proudof when and where I grew up, not provocative 'selfies." Thanks for writing this. It has a great message and a good flow. You seem very intelligent and skilled at the craft of writing. I look forward to reading more of your work.




Random avatar

Points: 312
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:15 am
charmyvora wrote a review...



sad truth .. it is the reality yu put down in the words of a poem.. really loved it.. we are the future generations we actually don't know what is right and wrong and that's were we lose.. we cant say that it's totally our fault cause maybe we are still a bit more immature and maybe as we grow up we become better..

Well about the poem i loved it.. really :D keep writing you are an amazing poet.. :D




User avatar


Points: 258
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:14 am
pseudonym123 says...



this one is true.
This is the reality.. :)





Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah