Eight Million (Blackout Poem 1)

by myjaspercat

So I've going through a bunch of my old books and I found a box of books that I got particularly to create some black out poetry. That said, I thought that I would start sharing some here and there. I don't expect them to be good but it's fun so why not...

Eight million men.
Eternally interested, one at a time-
even faintly interested but deliberately ignorant.
That ignorance justified to un-knowableness sex,
the time when sentimental contemptuous attitudes
have to be abandoned.

Six million women.
Engaged outside their homes-
the number increased...

Nine million women.
Who have forsaken traditions-
are competing with men, of paid labor,
rapidly passing domestic control.

Nine hundred and fifty-four thousand divorces.
Two-thirds in spite of tradition,
ostracism...

Six hundred thousand women.
A repudiated burden of marriage.

Half a dozen countries women.
Enfranchised.
Opposition is seeking - the stoutest enemy
acknowledges inevitable suffrage
that the world has ever faced.

Thisislegacy wrote a review...

Legacy here for a review.

I like the content of your poem and the way that you created it. I personally haven't seen many like this. Your stanza's aren't the same length, but that doesn't really matter in this poem.

I don't see anything that needs to be improved much. You have the imagery, the structure, the vocabulary, etc. It looks nice and like a final draft. Good job. Legacy.

Tue May 16, 2017 12:10 am
WanderingCloud wrote a review...

Hello myjaspercat.

This is my first time reading about this "Blackout Poems". But I'll try my best.

Let me say something about the poem. It tells about relationships, specifically marriage. It also talks about the real world and its problem. It is a very good poem. Straight and direct.

If I am correct, the poem supports woman rights. The thing that I understood is that it compiled or generalized the painful experiences of a woman in the hands of some men.

Very good. Very good.

~from WanderingCloud

SnowGhost says...

Nice! Black out poetry is so much fun.

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"