18+ Violence Mature Content

Till death do us part: Chapter 1 or Prologue?

by myjaspercat

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for violence and mature content.

{So this is part of a story that I have to write for my creative writing class in English and I want to know your feedback. Not finished.}

The wind continued to pick up speed, blowing leaves and stray trash in to the middle of the streets. The rain pounded to the ground with one large slap after another, filling every gutter and ditch. However, inside –sitting dry and warm- a middle aged mother snuggled deep into the folds of the blanket that covered her shoulders. Beside her blazed a raging fire, filling the library with a ghostly glow. In her lap sat a tattered, leather bound book, the pages smelling of ink and dust. She didn’t care how much the shutters banged against the window pane, as long as she could sit here all night and read.

Caught up in the sensations of reading she never noticed the near-silent footsteps filling the empty room. Staggering towards her, half-drunk was a tall- young man. His face curled into a malice grin, as he gripped the hilt of the knife even tighter. His breathing was labored as he continued his struggle towards the women in the chair; she would satisfy everything he kept pent up the past few days- he thought. She didn’t notice, now, that he stood behind her, clenching and unclenching his fist. He could smell her, the sweet scent of cherry and vanilla filling his nostrils. It sickened him, how women would think nothing of others when they sprayed blast after blast of their god-damn perfume.

One hand rose into the air, he held the blade of the knife above her head and then with one deifying scream he plunged it into her scalp; with as much force as he could muster. It barely pierced her skull, but went in deep enough to cause the women to drop the book and fall to the floor. She withered in pain as warm-sticky blood oozed from the top of her head; Gluing an eye shut. He wasn’t finished, not even close, with another scream –more out of frustration then fear- he plunged the scarlet blade into the women’s side. All she could do was whimper as he continued to stab her, until finally, all was quiet.

He sat there, covered in blood; curled in the fetus position, ashamed of what he just done. But he couldn’t help it, when he had the crave he had to feed it; she just so happened to be a piece in the game. Coming to, he knew what was left; with one swift movement he ripped her blouse open revealing her bare chest. He mumbled something under his breath and thrust the knife in between her ribcage. Going from the sternum to the top of her belly button he made an incision as deep as his hand. Reaching in to the gaping wound he felt around until his fingers found what they sought; her heart. Regretfully he gripped it and gave one large pull, seizing the cold organ and stabbing a syringe of cryoprecipitate and other solutions, and then he placed it in a lunchbox of ice. Zipping his bag back up he got to his feet, whipped the blood of his hands and silently walked back towards the library door; sober from the adrenaline.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:56 am
MarbleToast wrote a review...

Ouch.

Yeah, so this is what I would say should be a prologue. It's short, says hardly anything about the characters, but is still a very effective piece of work. The objective of a prologue is to make readers ask questions, while drawing them in. This is what has been done; I have questions by the boatload.

The description is really the only thing I can comment on here, seeing as it is just all description and thoughts. What is here is fantastic, but I think you missed a fantastic opportunity for doing a bit of description in relation to what the heart felt like. The guy just pulls it out and stuffs it into a lunchbox. Why not comment on how it felt in his hand, the blood oozing down his sleeve and dripping from his fingers? The description with the perfume is exceptional, especially when added with the opinion of the man.

One thing that isn't present though is smilies and metaphors. I could see any, and, again, there's a veritable cache of parts that are crying out to be described, so sprinkling a few smilies would be nice- maybe plug one or two into describing the heart?

All in all, you did very well, and while I never really get emotionally affected by literature, I may have checked over my shoulder once or twice. Definitely carry on.

myjaspercat says...

thank you as well, I really love your opinion and I think that the describing part in some areas can be worked on, I will definitely look into that. Glad you enjoy it and I will defiantly post more soon.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:41 am
anonymousx wrote a review...

Hey, Jaspercat. I always did enjoy creative writing class and I'm glad to see that people still take those type of classes, especially seeing that most people nowadays don't enjoy sitting down and writing much of anything but rather playing video games and sports and partying...but that's a different story.

Anyways, I'm here to review your work for you! Even though you posted this about a week or so ago. To start off, I just want to let you know that the line about the fire was very beautiful. The first paragraph really draws you in and to me it seems like it's a movie scene unfolding with the description that you use.

(Also, fun story: I looked away and back at the story and I went into like the middle of it and read way too far ahead and was like WOAH WHAT THE HECK...)

Sorry.

The details of this man coming to her sicken me. He seems like an ugly predator, just looking at his prey as simply prey and not a human being. I love the way you describe his anger, almost as if he's angry with woman over all. Why? I really would like more details about that. What happened to him?

I'm shuddering at the description you used to describe the knife going into her head...I'm hoping this is a college writing course and you're not handing this to a middle school/high school teacher. With the details, it could make anyone shudder. This man seems so frustrated with her but it doesn't seem personal. Why does he want her heart? Why this woman? Who is he? More?..Please.

myjaspercat says...

Thank you, I really tried my hardest to aim for the man to seem cruel and detached, as for what class, sorry to say it is a high school class and as a matter of fact, to be honest it is a freshman class. So again thank you for enjoying it I am having a lot of fun reading it. As my mom always says, I watch to much criminal minds.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:26 am
Evander wrote a review...

Hey, myjaspercat!

Raven here for a quick review! Now, I see in the title that you are confused whether this is chapter one or a prologue. So, I would like to link you to this: To prologue or not to prologue

Now, even though this piece is not long, it is "sweet." (In saying sweet, I mean that it is very good. I mean, wow, this gave me the chills.) The description is just... scary. The reader can see what is happening, clearly, like, very clear. The image that was painted is so beautiful, so alarming, that I might have to go drink calming tea and admire your writing. Just, the way the story began was... an alarm telling us that this story was terrifying. (I think I'll stop rambling about description now.)

Now, after reading the second paragraph, I was afraid of what direction this story was going to take. Thankfully, she was only murdered... *Wow, never thought I'd say that.* Though, I am wondering why he killed her. Yeah, he was angry, but was that his only reason, his only motivation? (Oh, and I can totally relate to his hate of the vanilla smelling perfume.)

I am also curious why no names are used throughout this chapter. Is it because the characters mentioned here are not important? Will this just be forgotten, or will this haunt the man for a long time to come? What is the importance of this prologue/chapter? (Also, the title has me wondering too. Will the woman haunt him? In spirit? These are very important questions.)

Love this story and I hope you can keep my updated when you post more!

Rae,

myjaspercat says...

Ok, so thank you for the review, and I think I have decided to post this as the prologue, anyhow, the name thing. I totally understand were you are going and there will be names but in this piece, his name is reveled, if you haven't been able to tell he is technically the 'main' character so his name will be mentioned, just later. As for the women, well all will be revealed soon.

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 am
Hassanfs wrote a review...

Wow.
This was..just..so...epic!!!
I usually hate violence and gore and blood and anything to do with it, but this was epic.
This was very well written. It had me hooked from the first line.
The imagery in the first paragraph was very wonderfully done. It painted a very contrasting picture and I loved it.

The suspense was built up very nicely from there on. The guy creeps up on the woman. Waits there for a while, preparing to strike. I just have one problem with this part.
"malice grin". This just doesn't sound right. I don't know why. Maybe change it to him grinning maliciously or grinning malice.

The killing scene was perfect, but there was a typo.

"It barely pierced her skull, but went in deep enough to cause the women to drop the book and fall to the floor"

It should be woman. as well...there is just one woman. right??

The last paragraph finished it all very well.
From cutting out the heart to packing it in an ice box.

I think this would work better as a prologue, as it sets up a book very nicely by giving a little insight into the killer's mind.

Great work!

myjaspercat says...

thank you, that is what I thought after I read it a while. Thanks for pointing out the typo, glad it wasn't that many. I am also very glad that you like it, I don't really write a lot of gore but I had the idea for this kind of book and I decided to try it out. So again thank you and I promise to keep you posted as I upload more. :)

myjaspercat says...

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica