z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Tell Me Something I DON'T Know

by Gravity


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

I'm pretty, I'm smart.

I stole your heart,

And carried it far away.

I'm a prude and a bitch

I'm a slutty witch

All that in only one day.

-

I'm pure and untouched,

And by you, I'm unjudged.

You love me no matter what.

I'm a skank and whore,

With secrets galore.

However, you'll keep your mouth shut.

-

This one's for you,

The "lover of truth"

Who lied to me all this time.

I know all of this,

Your stupidity is bliss

Your heart is no longer mine.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:19 am
Hannah wrote a review...



Hey there, love.
Never happened across poetry of yours as far as I can remember, so this is a nice treat.

It feels clear to me from reading this that it's talking about that double standard that guys might have of girls (or, you know, people might have of their significant other in certain situations regardless of gender) -- that you have to be perfect but also be desirable, and somehow both of these requirements are also character flaws.

I like the jaunty rhyme. Your meter pretty much stacks up -- there are no big weird spots that stick out, so it's easy to read through and it also adds to the tone of the poem. At the end it's especially matter-of-fact because not only is it a statement, but it also has the correct meter and correct rhyme, so BAM I can take you out without even breaking a sweat over keeping in my poetry rules.

I think, however, that maybe because of the lack of imagery?? this poem feels pretty shallow. I don't think that I will remember it after I finish reviewing it because it doesn't give me anything lasting to hold on to. You know, like if you eat a hard candy, you taste it for a while, but when it's gone, it's gone. Maybe try to make this poem a lollipop -- even after you eat all the sweet stuff, something still remains and keeps you thinking (until you find a trashcan??? metaphor is going on too long...)

Give us something tougher to chew on, if you can. I guess for people who have never thought about this kind of relationship, it could be their first eye opening and stick with them, but for others we probably need something more specific in the imagery or narrative that will serve as an anchor and not let us go. That doesn't necessarily require giving these characters individual personalities. You might set up a metaphor with a physical image that works better for us. Who knows! You can play with it and see what happens.

I hope these thoughts are helpful for you, love!

Pm me or reply to this review if you have questions or comments.

Good luck and keep writing!

Image




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 11482
Reviews: 351

Donate
Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:09 am
View Likes
Kanome wrote a review...



Hello, Defy.
Kanome here with a review for you...

Okay, first off, I really like this poem. It made me laugh the whole time I was reading it. So I like how it brings out a sense of humor, even though it is a serious situation.

Secondly, you used some obscene words, but didn't use them too much, so that's a good thing for the readers and yourself. Great job on that.

Thirdly, I don't see any grammar or content errors that is in need of editing, so congrats to you on that one also, Defy...

All in all, I really like this poem, and I can't wait to read more of your work. Keep up the great work!






Thanks. And I go by Gravity, actually. Lol



User avatar
802 Reviews


Points: 18884
Reviews: 802

Donate
Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:04 am
View Likes
Dracula says...



Love this! When I read it, the pace felt really fast which added to the angry, spitting emotions which were conveyed. You used great phrases and held nothing back.






Thank you



User avatar


Points: 290
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:28 am
View Likes
oliviacray says...



Great job, I read this and it felt like the words spat in anger which made it even better.






Thanks!




'Like' and 'equal' are two entirely different things.
— Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time