Broken wings prologue

by myjaspercat

Luciana (Ciana) Lesher:

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

People ask me why I start a book from the end. I always tell them that if I don’t, how will I know if I like the beginning. You see, that’s how I see my life, if I don’t read the end how do I know if I am to like the way it starts. You never know really, how something is going to turn out. Most people think that if a parent dies, the other will become more caring. But in reality that’s not how it works. In my life everything went downhill when my father passed away. My mom spiraled down into a deep dark-black abyss, dragging me with her. I would watch her sit there and drink can after can of Budweiser, tossing the crushed aluminum across the room into a pile of more crushed cans. It was my job to do the shopping and cleaning and washing of clothes. I was practically Cinderella in my own home. Something that only got worse as the months went on.

People look at me when I walk down the halls of my high school, whispering behind my back. I just lower my gaze and continue walking. It is hard to keep up with all the stares and gossip that float around. My friends ask me how I am doing when they gain the courage to talk to me. I never understand the reason why they look at me like I am a broken person. Yes, I may have lost someone that I dearly loved and who dearly loved me, but I see now that I can still live on. It is something that I can live through and recover from, I am strong not weak.

Before my father died, my life was as normal as any teens. I had friends that I hung out with all the time. I was even getting perfect grades in all of my classes. There was even those time when I broke the rules like others my own age and snuck out to party. Many times as well I may have picked up a beer can and had a few sips, but shush, don’t tell anyone…

I sit in my room and think about what is happening. Why is the world so cruel? I don’t understand half the time why I am in trouble. What did I do wrong? It seems as if my entire family doesn’t even want me here. I don’t know. Maybe I am just overreacting but still deep down inside I know that something is not right. Being home, just doesn’t feel like home. I feel isolated and alone, thrown into the wild with nothing. I look at pictures and see a smiling little girl; she seems so happy and content. What happened to her? It’s like she disappeared with the first year her dad was deployed to Iraq. Her soul left with him and never returned, even though he did. Was it lost some were out in battle? Now when I look at her in the mirror I see a more grown up version. Yet when she smiles it never reaches her eyes.

Her face says ‘I am happy, everything’s alright’ but when I look closer I see that she is lying. She just wants to hide the truth from everyone else. She doesn’t want them to see her true pain. Something’s wrong with me…I know.

Here is my confession to you:

I lay in my bed crying at night. Sometimes I don’t even know why I cry. I just lay there and feel the tears fall down my check. When I do know why I cry, it’s because of how I see myself. Others tell me that I am pretty, skinny and fun to be around. I laugh and tell them thank you but inside I don’t believe them. When I look in my bedroom mirror I see a fat ugly girl staring back at me. My friends tell me that I do not need makeup, but without it I feel stupid and worthless. All the foundation and powder is like a mask that conceals the true me. A part of me I don’t want others to see.

A confession to me:

My heart is cold and locked away, hidden from the real world outside my window. It’s a battle raging throughout my body, killing me from inside out. I don’t want to think about everything that I have done wrong. I don’t want to believe it when I hear other people saying I am being a baby and a bitch. I want to feel loved and better than everyone else. What I am doing is wrong. I have nothing left, just an empty heart.

I am sorry. Sorry for being selfish and self-centered. Will any of you ever be able to forgive me? I hope. I am sorry for only caring about me myself and I. I will try to fix that. I am sorry for not sticking up for those who are hurt and down and I am sorry for holding your hand when it is needed. I will try harder.

For my friends:

I don’t really know what to say. I guess I can say I love you guys to but somehow that seems wrong. I think that without any of you I would have ended my life. You are all a life line found only once. I can’t tell you how much I rely on all of you. I am sorry for being mean or even acting like it. That’s not the real me.

None of you know this but when I look at you I am jealous. I am jealous of how perfect your lives are. I am being vain but sometimes I wish that I was you and you were me.

I can’t say anymore, I hope that as a family you all grow stronger when I leave. I now must live with my aunt; I will move away and start a new life. Maybe this will be better. Until then my friends...

♥ ♦ ♥ ♦ ♥ ♦ ♥ ♦ ♥

Jeremy Reed:

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Being alive is like living in hell. Oh how I wish that sometimes I could just fall asleep and never wake up. I would give everything I had to just watch my entire being slipped away into endless slumber. You know that sometimes I just sit here and watch the cars drive by; sometimes I may have a blade to my skin. No one stops; no one asks if I am ok. That’s alright by me. I don’t want others to care about me. I can’t stand there pity. It sickens me. People look at me as If I am a freak; they stare and whisper behind my back. Well you know what, fuck them. I don’t give a damn what they think about me. They can sit there and stare at me all they want. People are just cold-hearted people who don’t know a thing about what life is really like.

When my mom was alive, everything was ok. I guess. You could say that with her around I didn’t cut myself and you’d be true. But I still didn’t have the most family perfect childhood. Yeah, it was a hell of a lot better then what I have now but like in every family, there are secrets, lies and so much more shit. My mom was secretly hiding a cigarette addiction from my father. My father was hiding his “Girlfriend” from my mother.

Maybe being the child and the third person in that tangle of lies wasn’t so bad. I got a lot of attention from both of my parents; practically anything I asked for was mine. Kind of got annoying at times. I would secretly wish that they would be like normal parents and tell me I couldn’t have whatever I asked for. That never happened; great, right?

I walk down the halls of my school. I am not smiling yet I feel like the smile is trying to push its way through. It is a struggle to hide my sadness and sorrow from my peers who watch others with a judge mental eye. So many times I have to paint a mask on my face; smile and be ‘happy’.

Happy’, that’s a funny word. What does it really mean to be ‘happy’? It seems like when you are ‘happy’ people expect you to smile and laugh. Why? Couldn’t someone still be ‘happy’ and still bottle it in.

A confession to you:

I am afraid people will think that I am over reacting or just trying to get others attention. I am afraid of being judged and criticized by how I look and how I act. I am afraid of others being able to chip and tear away my mascaraed mask, letting the ‘real’ I shine through. I am afraid to have others see the real me.

Reality, it’s a word that has so many meanings. What is really real? How do you know when you are really experiencing reality or fiction? In reality, we are just more faces, more souls wondering a half-full world. Every choice we make, or thing we say, has already been made or said before. When you try not to be like everyone else, it turns out that you are just wearing black in the middle of the night. However the worst thing is, to be original instead of ordinary, the world looks at you with distain when you are original…

Mon May 26, 2014 3:48 am
dawny9791 wrote a review...

So Dawn here to do a review...

First of all, I just wanna point out that the date (Wednesday, May 26, 2014) isn't actually on a Wednesday, even with the time changes around the world... So I really like it, however, in the lower reviews, they mentioned the grammar errors, which I agree on. You have a nice flow to the story, so that's good. I think it'll be a good story, and very emotional if you edit it - so great job!

budding writer wrote a review...

Hey there!
Budding writer here for a review. I''ll start with the nitpicks.

NITPICKS:
"It was my job to do the shopping and cleaning and washing of clothes."
There are too many "and" in this sentence. Make it more compact.

"I was practically Cinderella in my own home. "
Insert "the" before "Cinderella"

"Before my father died, my life was as normal as any teens."
It should be "teen's"

"There was even those time when I broke the rules like others my own age and snuck out to party. "
It should be "were" instead of "was".

"Was it lost some were out in battle?"
It should be "where"

"I lay in my bed crying at night."
It should be "lie"

"I am sorry for only caring about me myself and I"
There should be commas in between.

" I am sorry for holding your hand when it is needed."
Insert a "not" before "holding"

"Kind of got annoying at times"
Start with a "It"

"I am afraid people will think that I am over reacting or just trying to get others attention. I am afraid of being judged and criticized by how I look and how I act. I am afraid of others being able to chip and tear away my mascaraed mask, letting the ‘real’ I shine through. I am afraid to have others see the real me."
I understand what your trying to emphasize but there are too many "I"

Apart from the typos and some grammatical mistakes I noticed I quite liked the story. The characters are well structured and it makes me want to know more of them. Its quite emotional which as a reader really drew me in so that I could understand their situation and I could sympathize with them.

Do keep writing. I'm looking forward to it and let me know.

_Budding writer

queerelves wrote a review...

Hello! ^^ Seb here for a review

This is a very emotional piece. Your characters have a lot of strong feelings, and their narration shows that clearly.

You have two different narrators, but their stories match up: they've each lost a parent, and now they each feel lost themselves. You connect your narrators with a common topic; even though they may not know each other yet, they're already connected.

For me, your narrators seemed to blend together. They both have the same voice, they both talk the same. I know it's difficult to make two narrators have different voices, but it's important. At the moment, they sound like the same person. However, this judgement may be a bit early: one we know more about the characters, they'll develop as separate people.

I'm going to do some more specific comments/critiques now.

I liked the way that Ciana described herself, and how she talked about herself. That was powerful, and I think that was the best part of this piece.

The beginning of Ciana's narration is a little bit cliched, a little bit cheesy.

These lines are very powerful. Your sentence structure is good, and the message behind it is good.

I'm a little bit confused about this part. He's sad, but he's fighting off a smile? It sounds a little bit backwards. Shouldn't he be smiling and fighting off a frown if he's pretending to be happy?

I'm going to wrap the review up here :D I enjoyed this piece, and I look forward to reading more!

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review on this glorious review day!

Technical:

It is something that I can live through and recover from, I am strong not weak.

A few things. One, this is a comma splice. Two, this has no contractions. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but up to this point you haven't had many contractions. For something this emotionally charged, there'd definitely be a lot more contractions. Otherwise the story feels extremely formal and cold, almost inhuman. So I'd recommend going back and smooshing a lot of those phrases together (like "it is" to "it's" and "I am" to "I'm").

Yet when she smiles it never reaches her eyes.

That was a really good sentence. Good job!

Jeremy Reed:

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

And...that's where warning flags go off.
One, be careful about using too many PoVs (points of view). Your characters' voices can start blending together and sounding the same. Two, be extremely careful writing from a guy's perspective, especially since this is romance. Otherwise you'll end up with this extremely emotionally expressive, feminine ideal of a man who acknowledges his feelings and ends up falling nowhere close of the male side our species. You'll create something no man could ever live up to, and the character won't be realistic or have his own identity, either. He'll be lost in your desire to have the perfect, slightly-broken soulmate for your MC.

And, after a bit of further reading, I've found that your guy really does sound a lot like your girl. He even says/writes: "they stare and whisper behind my back," which is really, really close to "People look at me when I walk down the halls of my high school, whispering behind my back," what your girl said. He even has a confession at the end of his journal/diary entry. So maybe drop the guy and just focus on the girl's PoV?

Hope this helps!

myjaspercat says...

Thank you for your perspective and I can see were you are coming from with the guy sounding a little like the girl. I can fix that part, however the guys' perspective in this story is somewhat crucial in places. I will try and make it better though

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello My, Wolf here for a review.
I'll start off with some itty-bitty nitpicks:

..., how will I know if I like the beginning.

Since this is a question, it should end with a question mark.
You could say that with her around I didn’t cut myself and you’d be true.

The word true just sort of sticks out. I would recommend using a word like 'correct' or 'right', just to help the flow of the sentence.

Also noticed a few times that there were some 'to's in spots that should be 'too'. Be careful with that.

Here are there I notice a few comma splices, misplaced commas, and missing commas. Things to remember with commas:
1.) To find a comma splice, read the sentence with a period instead of a comma, if it works, you have yourself a comma splice.
2.) Commas are only needed around places that are extra to a sentence and will make sense on their own if the comma part is removed.
3.) When creating compound sentences, you'll need a comma before the conjunction.
Enough Grammar Nazi-ing, onto the content! (Sorry if that seemed pointless.)

This was amazing. The emotions in this were so strong. However, I was confused with this. Is this supposed to be a diary entry? You have a date like it's some kind of document, and these characters are actually talking to the reader. If you can clear this up, this would be great! Keep writing,
~Wolfare

myjaspercat says...

ok so this is not supposed to be a diary entry, it is supposed to be some kind of background from the characters perspective. I promise the rest isn't like this at all, I just thought I would do something different for a change

cleverclogs wrote a review...

Hello, I'm here to review!

So, overall, I really liked this piece. It was very heartfelt and emotional, and it conveyed the plight of your two characters very well. I'm not exactly sure how it's a prologue, as it doesn't seem to have any plot so far. I think it's lovely as a stand-alone work, but that's up to you. I'm sure we'll see the plot soon. It's a prologue, after all.

You do a fairly good job of showing and not telling. The description of the beer cans that Luciana's mother drank showed us that she was an alcoholic. However, maybe you could tell us the character's backstory's through the plot, and not just dump it all on us here. This is by no means an info-dump, but I feel like you could do a tiny bit better with showing.

I did notice a very small amount of grammatical errors. If you read through carefully, you'll probably find them. It's stuff like missing commas and misspelled words. :)

Also, no matter what the character may be going through, I don't think that anyone starts a book at the end, because then you have no idea what the plot is. This is fairly unrealistic, and you may want to change it. But to each his own.

Overall, I loved the emotion that was put into this. You have talent. I can't wait to read more! Keep on writing! ;)

myjaspercat says...

thank you for feedback, I believe that it was really helpful. However there are a couple of things I would like to say.
1)About the prologue thing, the reason for this prologue is to kind of show background and to show how both characters are the same. It is also to show the beginning of a relationship between to people.
2) about starting a book from the end, it is kind of a saying that goes around between me and my friends, I promise that it will be cleared up later on. Hopefully.
Again, thank you so much.

myjaspercat says...

Again, thank you so much.

myjaspercat says...

Again, thank you so much.

myjaspercat says...

Again, thank you so much.

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
— Ann Landers