12+

A Letter to Insecurity

by Collideascope

Dearest Insecurity,

look at what you've done to me.

Haunting me both day and night,

trapping me in an endless plight.

Won't you please just leave me be,

the person I've become isn't who I want to be.

They tell me I'm flawless,

in every single way.

But you, dear Insecurity,

can list my flaws for days.

--

Please just go away.

I'm tired of what you do to me.

So trust me when I say,

when I reflect on the words I've written,

I'll never regret a thing.

-

I guess here's the part,

where goodbye is all that's left to say.

So long Insecurity,

you were never a friend to me.

Tuesday wrote a review...

Hello CapitalMonday here for a review. I would like to first begin as to say this poem has a great tone also how many people might feel since I'm sure many people have handle insecurity well and how the end of this poem can give anyone chills. I believe that anyone at some point in their life has seen/felt/have/told insecurity wiggled in between to wedges in your brain. Everyone tells you look flawless, when really you have so many flaws that they only see the outside of you. From the inside, you can be dorky, clumsy or have a horrible laugh and all you can do is smile at them thanking them for complimenting you. Then you think to yourself they are lying and walk away sad or dejected.

The end of this poem made me think was amazing since you are saying goodbye to your flaws (or at least trying to get over them.) You let go of insecurity and watch it float down a river if tears, never noticing how much you are crying.

Hope you enjoy and keep writing,
CapitalMonday

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:44 pm
Anlon wrote a review...

First thing I need to say is; I got the chills reading the last stanza.
I've always thought that art was about interpretation, so obviously, the meaning I take from this piece is not the same meaning the author has behind it, but I feel that this is about facing a person problem (insecurity) and essentially giving it the middle finger. In a polite way, y'know.

While it lacks attitude and it does seem a bit robotic, it made me feel emotion and I can relate to it and it genuinely makes me glad that someone went through this creative process.

Nice one, thank you for a good read!

MiracleRobot wrote a review...

I think you took this poem in a very interesting manner, speaking to your insecurities as if they were living, breathing people. Being an insecure person myself, I could relate very well with this poem. In fact, sometimes I wish that I could speak with my own insecurities, and, like you did with this poem, tell them to leave me alone. Needless to say, this poem has a brilliant concept and is beautifully written. I really don't have a bad thing to say about it, it was just so good! Keep up the great work!

DrFeelGood says...

Awesome! Brilliant concept. I wish I had written something like this!

theRightShoe wrote a review...

Hey,
This piece that you wrote is beautiful. It aptly captures the desperation and the struggle that one undergoes though I really wish that the poem would have been a little longer.
Other than that my favourite lines are the last ones:

"So long Insecurity,

you were never a friend to me."

I don't think you meant to but to me a hint of viciousness crept in those lines which just made it all the more better.

But what I don't get is the placing of the stanzas. Although the placing doesn't initially strike as odd but when you reread it that's when you notice the errors.
Either ways, haphazard or not I really enjoyed this poem. Kudos! :)

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:58 am
WJK wrote a review...

The sectioning of the stanzas really confused me. Ten lines, then five, then four? Perhaps that represents your insecurity slowly fading away and leaving your life for good. Or you just didn't bother with organizing the poem in any specific way, which doesn't really matter. I for one want to add on to what someone else mentioned in their review.
You do refer to your insecurity as 'dear insecurity' once or twice, and the user 'Satira' claimed, "Insecurity has no benefits, and I can't see any reason why you'd use an affectionate term like 'dear' for that". I Have to say I overall agree with the fact that insecurity isn't a good thing, but I will say that you can make it a good thing.
Insecurity is ones own acknowledgement of their flaws, people have the chance to fix their own flaws and create strengths to replace them. It seems hard, but its possible.
Also, I don't think Satira understands that other people have what is called 'perspectives'. One person can be burdened by their own insecurities. Another person can be motivated by their insecurities. And there are those who become so comfortable with their insecurities, that they are too afraid of change to do anything about it.
Refering to insecurities as 'dear insecurity' isn't a flaw in this poem, instead it has made me see a different individual's perspective. I for one, would have never refered to my insecurities with 'dear', but seeing them being refered to as so has given me some refreshing new poety to read.
Thank you for this original poetry piece.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:10 am
Redbox275 says...

I liked this poem. I feel like it's relatable and I felt like it had a good beat to it. Also I the rhyning was a good touch. There is not too much to say. It was a nice peom.

Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:03 am
Satira wrote a review...

Hi!
you keep calling insecurity 'dear', like it's in any way close to you, and it isn't. In any way. Insecurity has no benefits, and I can't see any reason why you'd use an affectionate term like 'dear' for that it.
also, even though your poem rhymes, sometimes it sounds like you're cramming words into a line for the soul purpose of letting it rhyme. The aim is for rhythm, not just for rhyme. It's very, very hard to achieve both, but if you have to pick one, go with rhythm,
I like how you personified Insecurity, because I'm sure everyone can relate to it, and say, oh! I recognize this! It's ME!
happy writing! happy holidays!
-Satira

Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux (One must imagine Sisyphus happy).
— Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus