z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

chapter 28: The Arrow

by artemis15sc


This book is no longer available for viewing here because it has been published! Click the link below to check it out!

E-book:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/sara-e-tall/alpha-misfits...

Paperback:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/sara-e-tall/alpha-misfits...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 4553
Reviews: 92

Donate
Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:03 am
View Likes
pendr says...



Like, literally. If you remove these chapters, I will slaughter you like the Legion did the rebellers.




User avatar
92 Reviews


Points: 4553
Reviews: 92

Donate
Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:44 am
pendr says...



No! Keep these chapters in! Bro! They are so necessary! It's perfect! Don't remove them! Don't do it!




artemis15sc says...


Don't worry, I added some things and took somethings away, but these chapters are still here. xD



pendr says...


-huge sigh of relief- okay. ok. then disregard my most recent comment.
By the way. THIS CHAPTER WAS. SO. GOOD. AND. INTENSE. AND I ALMOST DIED. AGAIN.



User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:31 am
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hello, Artemis! Wolf here for a review.

Lucian D: No! For a second there I swore he was dead. And I wouldn't have been surprised if he was dead either. It would've been the perfect plot twist. Then he would've rose from he dead and freaked Billie out, continuing the story like normal. (I can dream!)

Anyways, another great, great chapter here. Don't cut them. They flow very well, just I wish you would've added more detail what the festival was all about. Were there special events? I guess nothing too relevant since you didn't mention it, but it feels rather dull.

Another thing which I'm left wonder about is how did Billie suddenly get do good with magic? I guess I never really completely understood how this magic worked before, because every other time there was something to do with energy building and allowing a bridge to gap energy to the body, etc, etc. But now, Billie can do it without a second thought? I feel like that's a little strange. Plus, how do the powers work? It feels sort of like everyone has the same powers. How do the fey differ from anyone else? I guess Billie's not a fey and she's different, so her differences are harder to spot, but I'm curious.

And what the heck is up with Lucian? He's being so rude. Like, Billie's trying to help him out, and she obviously not leaving, so don't waste your breath and let the girl fight! Geez. Sorry about that.

Anyways, the tensions are really getting up there. It seems like not everyone is very pleases with how the Union's running things, and I'm curious to see more of what Lucian thinks, since he's not completely pro Union either. He wouldn't get Billie involved, but what's would he do? Only way to find out it so read. Once again, amazing job! Onward! Happy Review Day and Keep Writing,
~Wolfare~




User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 4783
Reviews: 49

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:19 pm
View Likes
PassionateReader wrote a review...



Review day!!! Representing the green team!!!! Whohooo!!

Wow things are really heating up!!! Am I right????

*Sarcastically* Oh no. Lucian almost died. That would've been fine with ME. Man, is he being a jerk or what!! And you do a really good job of making us love him as a character bc I almost threw my iPod when he got trampled. And then I realized that that wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen. Hunter getting trampled would be quite worse.


Was the chaotic opposite thing important?? Because it seems like one of those unnecessary things that you need to cut/shorten when you combine the chapters. Decide what things are the most important and keep those :)

The Phoenix’s song reaches a climax, when a large black arrow suddenly pierces its chest. Its song turns to a scream as the wound grows and it’s swallowed up by blackness before it disappears from the sky.

There’s shouting and screaming as people rush to get away from the steps. A man remains behind them, dressed in all blue, holding a crossbow. He’s shouting something, but I can’t make it out. But before I can try he’s surrounded by the silver clad UEA personnel. Some pull out small contraptions which transform into translucent shields. They form a barrier between him and the audience, while the others turn on him. He blasts them backward with his palm, but others come up behind him, forcing him to his knees. But then they fall as several other blue-clad warlocks come up behind them. And then some red-clad wizards send blasts of energy toward those warlocks. The yellow-clad fey rush in as well, but the green-cloaked witches block their way. Magical jets of energy in all colors erupt from all sides, turning the capitol building steps into a blaze in a matter of moments. It might have been beautiful, if it not for the screams. The non-violent citizens try to flee the steps, but they run into the confused mass below. There’s nowhere for them to go.

“Momma!” A small boy screams. My heart lurches. Lucian mutters something under his breath before diving forward.

“Lucian!” Selene screams as I run after him.

“Billie!” She also screams, but I don’t stop. Lucian’s faster than me, but I’m smaller and can squeeze between the panicking bodies more quickly.



Woah woah wait what just happened? I mean I know what happened but it happens all so fast. Like one minute they're sitting there and then they're running towards the... riot I think?

And the fight also seems a little unnecessary or just too long. Meh. Idk you seem to like your fight scenes so it's not that big of a deal. Just people can get bored of them, seeing that there's some fight every four chapters. :|

Ok I'm looking forward to reading more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! Good work as always.

This revieeeew waas brought to yooooouu in paaaart byy::::::::

Wicked Squids and other nonchalant evil ocean animal




User avatar
169 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 169

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:26 pm
theironnovelist wrote a review...



hello there!

I have not read the other chapters in this series of yours, so I'm sorry if this isn't a very personal review. XD
Because of this, I also don't have too much to say about improving content.
You're very good at placing certain words in spots where they should be, and arranging phrases and thoughts. Overall a very good writer!

I love the aspect of magic in this story. A subject very dear to my heart and one I'm trying to master as well. You're very good at writing with it.

I, too, have used a character named Lucian, so I felt especially attached to him while reading this :)

Keep up the good work in this series! Sorry if I didn't have much to say about improvement...I enjoyed the read!

~iron.n




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Howdy! Looks like my team's dropping back a bit so I thought maybe I'd do one more. I may be a bit old and rusty but I've never been one to go down without a fight ;)

Specifics

1.

I suppress a sigh and follow after him. It’s like the Spirit festival all over again. For some unexplained reason he’ll scarcely speak to me, look at me, and he’ll flinch away whenever my skin threatens to touch his. Clearly, whatever happened seven days ago in my hotel room is ancient history. And after today, our week together is over and I’m heading to the facility until school starts. And now that I’m caught up, who knows if he’ll be my tutor. Not that I care.


It's not a hard and set rule, but starting a sentence with a conjunction like 'and' or 'but' is generally frowned upon. You can get away with one or two through a piece of writing but in this paragraph you've got two in a row and it really stands out. I'd suggest losing at least one of them.

2. I'm not sure I like the part with the chaotic opposites - it seems a strange form of entertainment or performance art. It's kind of a cool concept but it feels really out of place in the festival format. I also think if you're going to keep it in, you might want to have a few other performances first so the reader understand that the different groups are creating scenes for the entertainment of the crowds. Then we'll be wondering if it's part of the entertainment or an attack.

3.
The Phoenix opens its lips, letting out a soft, quiet note.
Just a small thing, but I think a phoenix is generally described as having a beak so this threw me a bit.

4.
The square falls silent as the note grows louder, turning into an ethereal, complicated melody. I reach my hand up toward it, answering the call of its unearthly melody. Many people around me do the same.
Try not to end two lines in a row on the same word. The repetition of melody feels really bulky here - maybe replace one with song?

5. I think you need to introduce Selene into the scene earlier - I didn't know she was there until she screams at Lucian and Billie. It feels like she comes out of nowhere, or maybe I just didn't notice her introduction? If she's an important character, perhaps give her a line or two of dialogue early in the scene.

6. There's a few typos but I'll let you find them yourself - just me sure to have a good read through at some point to pick them up.

Overall

I like this chapter, better than the last one. The action is good, there's lots of fun magic and I'm loving the details of the different colours worn by the different factions and all the rivalries going on. Of course, I haven't read the rest of the novel so I'm not in a position to comment on whether it's a chapter you should keep or not. I don't know what the main plot is to say if this is too much of a detour.

What I think works well here is the balance of the three characters, particularly toward the end. There's a good range of personalities with Lucian clearly the most brave and likely to jump into a fight, while Selene tries to hang back and Billie is somewhere in the middle. I still feel you need to make it clearer early on that Selene is there, but other than that you've got a good bit of characterisation and plenty of action to keep us entertained. The phoenix being shot down was a nice trigger and the legion coming in at the end were perhaps overly brutal but suitably chilling.

Keep it up!

Heather xx





Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson