Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 8)

by mellifera

a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

She could still see the blood. The incision on the back of her wrist was only beginning to heal, scabbing over until it was itchy and blotchy.

On the back of her eyelids, the flame at her feet turning black was etched in like a glimpse of the sun. It hurt to blink, it hurt to cry, and most of all, it hurt to remember.

Staring out her window made her too anxious—she hadn’t been outside her room save for in the depth of night, and she had no idea what the mood of her people were aside from the knowledge that it wouldn’t be good—and pacing around her room heightened the same fears but in the opposite way. That week had been the longest she had been idle in the time she could remember, and she was ready to climb out the window and risk breaking her legs just to get outside.

The insulated, pale wood panelled walls that had always been inviting had become constricting. Twisted and malevolent, they stared and judged her, as everyone in the whole kingdom was likely doing at that moment. The pelts on her floor and bed now looked threatening, like the beasts they had once belonged to would rise up once again and attack her.

“Don’t you worry your fair head about it,” Lina had told her, when she had brought breakfast. To be eaten in solitude, not with her parents as was routine.

It had gotten worse since her father’s illness, but she had hoped her coming-of-age celebration would have inspired courage and good health in him. Of course, it had done the opposite…

A knock resounded off the old, polished door, and she nearly fell off her stool by her fireplace. She was so cold all the time, unnaturally cold. It was the chill of the receding Catharsis, nor the usual cold of the tundra, but a soul-deep freeze that spread through her veins.

“Come in,” she called. Or rather, tried to, and then had to clear her throat and say it again, as her voice broke before she’d even started. Had she taken the water Lina had brought her today? Had she even spoken to Lina?

The door opened, and the moment she saw her mother, she sprung to her feet. Her eyes began to sting, and if it had been any other situation, she would have run right to her mother’s arms for the comfort only she could give.

But she wasn’t sure how welcome the gesture would be anymore. Instead, she sank to her knees on the floor, dress and pelt cushioning her landing, and bowed her head deeper than their lowest of staff.

“Oh, Kanta,” her mother breathed. There were hands gripping her arms then, firm but not unkind. She looked up to meet her mother’s gaze. “There’s no need for such a display. Please, my snowdrop, stand up.”

It was when she was back on her feet and so close to her mother that the dam broke and she crumpled into her mother’s arms. “I’m sorry, mother, I’m— I’m so sorry.”

“Shh.” Her mother ran her hand down her hair, stroking it in a soothing gesture as she rocked her like she was a child again.

Such an action would have been appropriate when she was seven, not seventeen. She was an adult now, a fully developed woman. A princess, no less, and yet she was sobbing into her mother’s arms like she was a toddler who’d gotten bit by a goat.

And she could not bring herself to stop.

Her mother guided her over to her bed and carefully sat down. Kanta did her best not to outright lie into her lap, but she was given this opportunity and she didn’t know how much longer she would have such privilege. By her parents’ choice or not.

“You mustn’t apologise, you’ve done nothing wrong. A lady, a woman, a princess such as yourself does not apologise meaninglessly, or your apologies will have no meaning. Have I not counselled you in such knowledge?”

It was only a light, but resolute scolding. Still, she was confused as she pulled back, only far enough to look up at her mother’s face. “But I— I don’t understand— I—”

“She also does not fumble for her words, but states what’s on her mind,” her mother said gently.

“I failed the blood ritual,” Kanta said, forcing herself not to mumble lest her mother scold her for that too. “I have no trueblood. Mother, I don’t understand. Father had trueblood, he passed his ritual. It wouldn’t make sense…” She looked away, cheeks heating. She couldn’t say the thought that had already passed through her mind like an unwanted fly around food.

“I know what everyone must think of you and of me, but trust me when I say that I was married to your father for three years before you were born and I allowed no one but him to touch me.” Her mother let out a drawn sigh. She was only wearing a simple nightgown and thick, furred coat, hair pulled back and face gaunt. She looked worn, older, even though Kanta had seen her mother only a week ago. “I don’t understand why this has happened anymore than you, or anyone else.”

She drew her hands to her lap and sniffled, the tidal wave of grief beginning to ebb away. She looked up, cautious. “Does father know that?”

Her mother closed her eyes. “I hope so,” she said. Her mother spoke quieter than she’d ever heard before. “He’s been bedridden this whole time, and I’ve been stretched between wrestling the kingdom out of its panic and anger and tending to him. He’s not well, your father, and he’s not said anything that would make me believe he has lost his ability to care for either of us, it’s only that this been a lot to process for him. For everyone, undoubtedly.”

She swallowed, but her throat was dry. She definitely had forgotten to drink earlier. “And… what will happen to us? To Glacier’s Keep, to our people? Without a trueblooded ruler, we…?” She didn’t want to think about the histories of what had happened to the three kingdoms who had lost their trueblooded rulers, each of which were now no more than dusty old ruins, their people reduced to skeletons.

“Your father is still alive, he still has his trueblood. He is ill, not deathly.” Her mother tucked a piece of Kanta’s hair behind her ear. “We will find a solution. This kingdom will not fall while her people remain breathing.” She put her hands on her legs and glanced towards the crackling fire. “We may need to launch another search for your sister.”

Butterflies upset her chest. “But it’s been nine years,” she reminded her mother. “She could be anywhere. And last time we searched for her, we nearly started a war with Summermount.”

“King Ismat and Queen Nayeli are… sensitive.” Her mother’s face hardened, her lip stiffening and curling. “You know what I’ve taught you about your behaviour towards each monarch and their spouse, in regard to their personality? Summermount would believe our sneezing at them wrong is a declaration of war.”

“Because of the Bloody War? That was centuries ago. That was longer than centuries ago.”

Her mother shook her head. “As if you could be more on the nose with a name,” she scoffed. “But yes. You’ve seen how high the tensions are between our nations. But the absurdity that Queen Nayeli would be paranoid enough to believe we were attempting to instigate another conflict…”

“What if we find her, and she’s like me?” she asked, lowering her voice. “My younger sister. What if she doesn’t have trueblood either?”

There was a long pause. Kanta realised that, for one of the first times in her life, her mother would not provide an answer, not even an evasive one. Her heart grew cold, and she shivered.

Then her mother turned, leaned forward, and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Never doubt my love for you, nor your father’s. We will make it through this, do you understand that?”

She glanced towards the fire and the scent of iron rose to the roof of her mouth. White flames greedily devouring the droplets of blood that fell from her wrist, and in one great gust, turning a colourless black that was more like shadows. She could smell the blood on the air, until it filled the air and choked her, so strong and bitter than it turned her stomach. There were screams, of horror? Of pain? Of confusion?

“I understand.”

word count:

1,444

Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:46 am
Shady wrote a review...

SCRIBS! I BE BACK!

I... really don't understand what's going on here? Not a single guess whose perspective this is or what's going on with the blood or????

like she was a toddler who’d gotten bit by a goat.

I love this description <3

~ ~ ~

OKAY! By the end of this chapter, I think this must be one of the girls who is with Isadora's birth family? But! I didn't love this transition? Like, without the announcing who it was, and jumping in right after the asterisk, I legit thought that this was the second part of a chapter and I had somehow missed the first chapter.

And then with all the shame and blood and such I was like she made a suicide attempt???

And then it slowly started making sense what was going on.

I DID like the mystery that grew during the conversation -- but I don't love how confusing it started out as, if that makes sense? I think it needs a bit of a softer entry. But! I'm excited to be seeing the mystery of the fake royalty starting to have consequences! It is getting JUICY!

~Shady 8)

starlitmind wrote a review...

Hey, I'm backk : )

So there's no perspective! I'm guessing this is an unknown dude or something? Also, sidetone, I am great at forgetting past chapters, so please pardon me if I say something stupid :p

She could still see the blood.

Well what a way to grab your readers' attention!

On the back of her eyelids, the flame at her feet turning black was etched in like a glimpse of the sun.

I love "etched in like a glimpse of the sun," but I'm not sure what this is saying

It hurt to blink, it hurt to cry, and most of all, it hurt to remember.

0.0 Remember what? :O

It was the chill of the receding Catharsis, nor the usual cold of the tundra, but a soul-deep freeze that spread through her veins.

You're so good at imager and vivd descriptions! I've really enjoyed your descriptions throughout your novel.

A princess, no less, and yet she was sobbing into her mother’s arms like she was a toddler who’d gotten bit by a goat.

Haha, for some reason that simile is amusing

OHH is she one of the "fake babies"?

Wow, I feel bad for the mother and daughter. Imagine not knowing it wasn't actually your child. That's tough

“We may need to launch another search for your sister.”

Sister? :o

White flames greedily devouring the droplets of blood that fell from her wrist, and in one great gust, turning a colourless black that was more like shadows. She could smell the blood on the air, until it filled the air and choked her, so strong and bitter than it turned her stomach. There were screams, of horror? Of pain? Of confusion?

What an interesting image! Why is it in italics though? Does this has some sort of importance or significance?

Poor Kanta. She probably feels like she failed her kingdom. There must be so much pressure on her right now. And her mom! Both of them must feel very awkward and pressured right now. And poor dad, I hope he gets better soon and doesn't doubt his wife's loyalty. There seems to be a lot of uneasiness in the kingdom, for both the royal family and for the subjects.

Okay so I love how we got to see something different for this chapter! It was fresh and quite interesting. There seems to be a lot more going on than just the ruins expedition. You're setting up a lot of great stuff for later chapters; I'm sure there is going to be so much going on in the future, and I'm really excited fro that! Overall, this was a lovely and mysterious chapter, and I hope this helped! :D

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world)

Three more to go,

First Impression: Bit of a detour. Maybe you should mention change in perspective at the top. But overall it looks like they've finally figured out she's a fake. Things seem to be getting interesting now.

So no healing magic.

Lovely description.

This is a pretty well written relationship too. Although it is quite strange that somehow this Jax man managed to find five babies that would grow up to have features similar enough to the required princes and princesses and not one of the mothers had any idea what was going on.

So is it a must that this trueblood passes to the child. Is it possible that it will not pass?

How did the other kingdoms lose their rulers? Did they perform the blood ritual earlier in life? Did the heirs just die?

So the sister was taken. I'm assuming this is Alanna. Also how much searching are they going to do before declaring that the princess must probably be dead.

That's a nice description but what is it supposed to mean?

And we're done.

Overall: It's a god little introductory scene into the other side of the coin so to speak. So this one of the two surviving kingdoms. It seems this north kingdom might have some significance judging by how north seems to be one that is most mentioned.

As always take what you think was useful and forget the rest.

Hey Mell! Here for the second review for you! :)

So like before, I apologize that I don't really know the the whole scope of the story - but I'll try my best to leave some reactions and helpful comments for you- feel free to let me know if you have questions about my interpretations that I don't bring up.

I like the overall angst of the opener - it's a dramatic emotional shift from the last one - and I'm assuming this is a different narrator?

There are a few kind of confusing portions of that very first section though.

- I'm having trouble following what this image is describing.

Staring out her window made her too anxious—she hadn’t been outside her room save for in the depth of night, and she had no idea what the mood of her people were aside from the knowledge that it wouldn’t be good—and pacing around her room heightened the same fears but in the opposite way.
- I think the sentence rambles about a little bit, I get what's being said, but I get a little lost by the end.

You continue to have a very poetic-prose style in your imagery, that is really nice. I also love your bodily description right here:
- great line!

the dam broke and she crumpled into her mother’s arms
-> I noticed you used "the dam broke" as an emotional descriptor in the last chapter, so try to vary those a bit more from chapter to chapter I think unless you're purposely creating parallelism with the same language.

Awwwe! What a precious image! Love the comparison to the goat!

I'm sorry I missed the chapter where the description of blood ritual took place - this sounds like a really provocative plot turn instigating the search for the lost sister. The conversation between the mother and Kanta is definitely a tense one - because it sounds like Kanta basically has to accuse her mother of infidelity, or that the process just didn't work for whatever reason. The way the conversation unfolds though, I am really curious why Kanta heaps so much guilt upon herself, did she have control over the results of being true-blooded or not? Really interesting stuff in here Mell! I'd love to hear of summary of like what's happened in your story so far if you're ever up to it.

Happy writing!

- alliyah

mellifera says...

I noticed you used "the dam broke" as an emotional descriptor in the last chapter, so try to vary those a bit more from chapter to chapter I think unless you're purposely creating parallelism with the same language.

haha the culprit would be the fact that it had been a week since I wrote the last bit xD it's hard to track if I'm being repetitive during LMS, but thanks for bringing that up! I'll try to be mindful for that in the future :)

I am really curious why Kanta heaps so much guilt upon herself, did she have control over the results of being true-blooded or not?

she doesn't! but she also doesn't know why this is happening to her, and she was raised her whole life to believe she would pass it, so it's just a case of this being an incredible shock and her feeling guilty about how this will affect her kingdom and her people, even though she doesn't have control over it!

Really interesting stuff in here Mell! I'd love to hear of summary of like what's happened in your story so far if you're ever up to it.

I have a project thread for this if you're interested! otherwise I'd be more than happy to write up a summary for you if you'd like! <3

thank you again for the reviews, I really appreciate them and they're very helpful!! :D

alliyah says...

Oh wait, where's the project thread? I'll take a peak at that!

Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Omg what a perfect time to be giving us a glimpse into the life of Kanta. And I love how you tracked the timing of this as well because Isadora had just turned seventeen, so naturally, everyone else would believe it was Kanta's birthday. So I assume the blood ritual would happen on her seventeenth birthday, which it did, and it didn't go very well... to say the least. ;_;

Also thE BLOOD RITURAL TERRIFIES ME. The glimpses that were given were swift and descriptive enough to make me worry for her and wonder about the history of this ritual. How did this ritual become a thing and why!? It sounds awfully dangerous, but it seems to be necessary to appease this strange curse. I kinda wish I was taking notes now because I need to remember how much I know.

I DO remember that it has happened before where trueblood heirs disappeared, and that resulted in the ruins. And this is something Margaretta and the scholars are interested in. For some reason, though, they needed the heirs in order to do whatever at the ruins, and we don't know why that is yet. But now that Isadora is seventeen, the kingdoms are starting to notice, which brings us to Kanta. And it also now feels like they'll be rushed to figure things out before more false heirs are discovered.

Poor Kanta. :(

Like... how dreadful it must be to learn that you don't have trueblood, or at least something was wrong. She's clearly such a sensitive, fragile soul because she's not even trying to rationalize (falsely, of course) why the ritual might have failed. She just KNOWS it's her fault, and the repercussions are so heartbreaking. People don't trust her now, don't like her, and how coincidental that her father is now ill.

WHAT IF THE KING DIES???

Poor Kanta. :( Maybe she'll want to help in the new search for her sister. anD THEN SHE AND ISADORA MEET AND A REVELATION OCCURS OMFG--

I just really freaking love this web you have. Kanta is believed to be Isadora, and the family has already failed once to find Alanna. At this point, the kingdom's only hope may be searching for Alanna, so they're going to do it again, despite almost having started a war with Summermount -- which I beLIEEEEVE is Mishal's original home, so WHO KNOWS what'll happen if Mishal is discovered for who he truly is.

IT'S SO EXCITING. And now we're given a glimpse into how the blood rituals could potentially turn out after seeing Kanta deal with the aftermath of hers. I just feel so sad and sorry for Kanta, and I'm so happy that she's still loved by her mother and Lina despite everything else in her life.

but now imma need Isadora and Mishal to hurry up and figure things out 'cause I want a happily ever after kthx ;_;

A lady, a woman, a princess such as yourself does not apologise meaninglessly, or your apologies will have no meaning.

I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE. T____T

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer