Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 43)

by mellifera

a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

The smell of rosemary and eucalyptus rose as the steam curled off the milky bathwater.

Eydís leaned back until her head and face were submerged in the water, holding her nose plugged with one hand. The heat was almost overwhelming for a moment, until she adjusted, and by then she was already resurfacing and inhaling deeply. The oils that filled the bath and those that sat, diffusing into the air, filled her nose.

She opened her eyes and scooted until her back was against the raised end of the tub. The candles lining the walls cast dusky illumination over the room in quiet yellow flickers.

Petals floated on the water around her, exports from the Viridian Isles. These were pale orange and bright purple, soaking into the water and staining it ever so gently. She favoured these most, they cleared her skin and softened it more than anything else she had ever tried.

“I was thinking of putting the diamond netting on for today?” Marsey suggested.

Eydís felt Marsey’s hand dip into the water and her nails scrape gently against the back of her neck, collecting a handful of Eydís’ hair. Marsey wrung it out. The water dripped over Eydís shoulders, out of the water, a little chillier than the water she was sunk into.

“Do the rose clasp,” Eydís said. “I don’t want this lord to think I’m trying to look fancy for him.”

Marsey laughed quietly, and ran her fingers through Eydís hair, chasing out the first knots. “I doubt this lord you’re going to meet is so bad,” she said. She stopped her ministrations to Eydís hair for a moment, before returning with a comb, with she dragged through ever so carefully. Eydís shut her eyes holding herself still but relaxed as Marsey worked. “He can’t be. It takes a man of great mettle to even suggest courting the Queen.”

Eydís groaned and rolled her shoulder. She held a tension there she disliked. “Rub my shoulders, after you’ve finished with my hair,” she said, and opened her eyes. She frowned. “He’s not so great, just some froofy lord from the floating sky palace. I’d rather spend a week in my lessons all day than meet him.”

“I’m sure he’s hardly that bad. You haven’t even met him.”

She harrumphed and leaned back again. “Maybe not, but I can have an opinion of him since he’s got eyes for my mum. If she marries him, maybe I’ll see if the apothecary would accept a royal apprentice.”

The comb caught on a knot and tugged on Eydís’ hair. She wrinkled her nose.

“You can’t poison your mother’s suitor, my lady,” Marsey said.

The comb clattered as it was set aside, and Marsey’s fingers dug into Eydís scalp, massaging underneath her swaths of red hair. Eydís sighed, closing her eyes once more, and leaned into the touch. “No. I suppose that would be dreadfully messy?”

“Quite so, princess.”

Marsey also helped drive some of the knots of out her shoulder, before she went through Eydís wardrobe and chose something flattering, but not exquisite. She allowed Marsey to poke at her for a while as she waited, trying not to wiggle with impatience. Marsey pulled her hair back and clasped it with the copper rose Eydís favoured for most days. She covered Eydís’ eyelids in a light dusting of a gold glimmer and swiped some pale pink paint over her lips.

“There you are, my lady,” Marsey said, stepping away from her after the finishing touches were complete. “As stunning as always, of course.”

“Thank you, Marsey,” Eydís said, twisting the ends of her hair that fell to her waist with her fingers. Her lace, lilac sleeves dripped off her arms and fell to her knees. “I expect I’ll see you after the envoy.”

Her handmaiden dipped her chin, a smile tugging her lips. “I wish you all the luck in your meeting today.”

Eydís turned and swept out towards the door. She could hear the coy tones in Marsey’s voice but, then again, that was part of the reason she appreciated Marsey’s presence.

The dark jade stone carved walls were warm and trapped the bright glow of the phosphorescent ribbons lining the walls in the closed quarters. It highlighted the velvety bodice and skirt of her dress. The click of her heels rang out against the floor.

She found her mother waiting, as she had promised, in the chamber that opened from the royal wing hallways.

Her mother met her halfway across the chamber and reached to straighten Eydís’ lace neckline. The Queen was as beautiful as she always was—Eydís wished she had gotten more than her mother’s flaming hair, which she hadn’t even gotten any of the abundant curls from.

But even with her glistening emerald dress and silken, flowing skirts, her mother was not nearly as dressed up as Eydís had seen her. Her curls were set around her silver and diamond crown, highlighting the pale jewels, but it was still done up in a fashion that had its time in the limelight a year passed. And her mother had hated it.

Her mother, who had already met this airy sky lord, was not impressed by him either.

Eydís smiled.

“Don’t look smug, my ruby, it’s unbecoming.” Her mother nodded approvingly at how she had set Eydís’ neckline.

“He’s not even a part of the royal family,” she said, as they marched towards the door that led into the antechamber where their guests awaited them. “Is all this fanfare necessary?”

Her mother slowed a beat, likely so as not to meet the door so soon. “Of course not. But this is Chromium, not a slum. Those who come should know where they are.” Her mother sniffed distastefully. “Besides, he has Queen Juliette’s favour, for what that is worth. And let this be a lesson for you. Observe, make nice, be the charming and lovely young princess of Chromium that they expect of you. It is good practise.”

She said no more, now that they were just beneath the door. She eyed the solitary, greenstone gargoyle. It sat utterly still atop the doorframe, its claws curling over the top. Its topaz eyes glittered, and though it was impossible to tell where a gargoyle was looking, she always felt watched.

Eydís shivered and averted her gaze. There was something in their presence that made her feel out of place, and if it were not for their “practical uses”, she would have asked her mother to get rid of them.

The door opened under her mother’s hand and Eydís followed her at a slower pace, letting her heels almost drag against the floor. Her stomach knotted. Of all the things to happen, of course it was some guy wanting to have her mum.

There were three people in the room. Two were donned in polished, silvery armour. There was a jewel in each of their sword hilts that changed colour as they moved in the light. Eydís didn’t recognise the jewel but made a note to find some to have jewellery made from.

The last one must be the lord. He had darker skin than both she and her mother, with wrinkles around his eyes and forehead. His black hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and he wore a navy patterned suit, with a white cravat and sleek, black leather boots. His cheeks were slightly reddened.

He bowed deeply as she and her mother entered, as did his accompaniments.

“Your Majesty,” he said, rising. He approached her mother first, and waited until she offered her hand, which she did so after a pause. He bent to kiss her knuckles lined with gemstone rings.

“Welcome back to Chromium, Lord Janvier,” her mother said. “I hope you business in Heaven’s Keep went well.”

Lord Janvier smiled. “Very well.” Then he turned to Eydís.

She stiffened as he approached her. There was no chance in any life she wanted this man as the new King, or worse, her stepfather.

“This little rose must be the Princess Eydís,” Lord Janvier smiled at her now.

She frowned as she offered her hand. She was still a princess, and princesses had to be polite. “How nice it is to meet you,” she said. Her mouth tasted like lemons.

Lord Janvier pressed his lips to the back of her hand and she wished she could wriggle away. “If it so pleases Your Highness, you may call me Claude. We are to be familiar, after all.”

Eydís pulled her hand away. She eyed her mother from the corner of her gaze. Her mother was watching Lord Janvier with pursed lips.

“I hope you enjoy your stay in Chromium, Lord Janvier,” Eydís said sweetly.

And she took no small amount of joy in watching his expression, his smile, falter for a moment.

* * *

“I don’t like him.”

To Eydís’ credit, she waited until after dinner was finished before she brought it up. Miss Maud would say it was “an improvement” to her “usual impatience”.

Her mother, beside her at the head of the dining table, put her silver goblet down with a decisive thud. “Marriage for nobility and rulers is never for love,” her mother said. “He is in somewhat close confidence of Queen Juliette, which means improved trade and relations. Hasn’t Maud explained any of this to you?”

Despite having no more food, Eydís wielded her fork and poked at the ivory inlay on her plate. “She has, but I didn’t say anything about love. I don’t even like him, mum.”

Her mother watched her without even blinking. Eydís stared at the table.

“Do you dislike the idea of me marrying him for any practical reason, or do you just dislike that he could, one day, be your stepfather?”

“Both,” Eydís mumbled.

Her mother sipped the wine from her goblet. “This is not your decision, my little ruby.”

Silence descended on the hall as their plates and silverware were ushered away. Marsey and one of the cook’s apprentices brought out dishes of something that looked vaguely soup-like, with a toasted, golden-brown layer that floated on top. It smelled of cinnamon and caramel. Marsey offered her a smile when she set Eydís’ dessert down.

As Marsey and the cook’s apprentice left, she reached for her spoon. Before she had put the first bite in her mouth, her mother said, “You’ve heard that Queen Nayeli has sent soldiers to Glacier’s Keep to help find their missing trueblood child?”

She reluctantly set her spoon back in the dish. Her mother’s tone forewarned a lecture. “Yes.”

“Tell me why this is not a good thing.”

Eydís frowned. She had not regarded the new as a particularly good or bad thing. She quickly began to conjure reasons it was the latter. She was the princess, after all, she needed to know these things. “Because Summermount was accused of stealing the child in the first place?”

Her mother sighed and Eydís knew she had said the wrong thing.

“Summermount and Glacier’s Keep have been in conflict with each other since before you were even alive. Their constant strife has allowed kingdoms, ours and Heaven’s Keep, to prosper and focus on advancing and innovating out culture, our societies, and our technologies. We have fewer competitors to achieve our goals. War means the depletion of resources, which is why we have had so much more economy, success, and luxury, particularly during the Bloody War. But now they’re playing nice with each other. The tension from their conflict will have to fall somewhere, if they form an alliance, and it cannot fall here. I will not have this city sink as low as to fall to war.”

Eydís stared at her dessert, beginning to go cold. The room, the size of which she usually loved, now felt too big.

“But I thought we wanted resources from Glacier’s Keep too. And King Manu’s signature, for the Windfall Project.” Maybe she could get something right.

Her mother nodded solemnly, which was much better than her disappointment. “Yes. And I very much doubt he or Queen Aisha will want construction obscuring their path if they end up in another dispute. Or finished trams, even, to speed the delivery of enemy troops from Summermount. So we cannot hope for their war, but nor can we idle around for their alliance.”

Eydís swirled the spoon around in the bowl. It clinked against the sides. “What if you came to an accord? If Glacier’s Keep sends resources and labourers, to help with construction, they’ll get first access to the trams when they’re functioning. Station guards to make sure only those who qualify can ride.”

This time, her mother tapped her fingers against the glossy table. Her painted nails caught the pale light from the chandelier in a splay of colour. Her mother was actually thinking about what she had said!

“Not a terrible idea, though there’s no guarantee they’ll agree considering how they’ve stonewalled us so far. Or that Summermount couldn’t, with a display of force, seize control of a tram. It would also side us in a war, which I would avoid at all cost. But I will consider your input. We’ll see if anything may come of it, or get those hotbloods to reconsider dealing with us.” Her mother smiled.

Eydís did as well, and finally took a moment for a bite of her dessert, feeling reasonably accomplished and clever.

The dish was caramelly and sweet, and it melted warmly in her mouth.

word count:

2,255

Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:36 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Blueberry

Ooh, royal family perspective?

I love your opening paragraph. The oil, candles, and tub descriptions really set a relaxing mood

Ooh so the mood isn't so relaxing later on haha

Ah, so another marriage, I'm assuming, between royal fams. She sounds very exited

“He can’t be. It takes a man of great mettle to even suggest courting the Queen.”

Okay yeah, it's a marriage xD How old are these kids that are getting married off? I always feel bad because it's probably pretty tough to marry for, I'm assuming, kingdom alliances and political stuff like that.2

floating sky palace.

IS IT LITERALLY A FLOATING SKY PALACE.

Maybe not, but I can have an opinion of him since he’s got eyes for my mum. If she marries him

Omg I'm so dumb lol. It even said Queen back up there, how did I not notice that the marriage was with her mom, not her, omg, huge facepalm this is embarrassing

WELL maybe she's also marrying for political reasons, which can also be tough for here xD but the last royal fam arranged marriage? between that girl and her scary father and that other guy with the funny friend. Ahh I literally forgot the names of everything. But I'm pretty sure that was between kids (kids makes it sound like super young, but I mean kids as in very late teens or however old, not like ten year olds haha)

I don't know if any of this is even making any sense to you anymore haha

“You can’t poison your mother’s suitor, my lady,”

This is random, but that seems such an Ember thing haha xD

She could hear the coy tones in Marsey’s voice but, then again, that was part of the reason she appreciated Marsey’s presence.

For some reason it makes me happy that she likes Marsey haha

The dark jade stone carved walls were warm and trapped the bright glow of the phosphorescent ribbons lining the walls in the closed quarters. It highlighted the velvety bodice and skirt of her dress.

I LOVE YOUR DESCRIPTIONS

Eydís smiled.

I'm glad the lord isn't going to get poisoned then

But this is Chromium,

Coincidence that Ember and Eydís both start with E? I THINK NOT XD

For some reason I keep thinking of that show Sofia the First. not that your story necessarily reminds me of that show, but thinking about princesses and dresses makes me think of Sofia the first xD

I can't help thinking of ember haha cx

Marriage for nobility and rulers is never for love

Okay so that's what I was talking about but messed up talking about! xD that makes me sad

“You’ve heard that Queen Nayeli has sent soldiers to Glacier’s Keep to help find their missing trueblood child?”

OOH time to learn some more history!

You've put soo much thought into all of these places and their history and their relationships with each other that I feel like I'm reading a history textbook (in the best way possible!!) like it all just seems so real like it actually happened.

Also, Eydís is such a cool character xD I feel like I've gotten to know her so well from just this one chapter. You're really good at characterizing people. Well, what aren't you good at? cx

omg I was gonna squee about something but because of how this chapter ended, I have a dire need to ramble about things

also THANK YOU for having this conversation between Eydis and her mother because it was such a fun and great way to drop some political information while introducing these characters and their culture to us and I'm all for info-dumping in well-written dialogue

Okay so AHHHHHH Chromium's royal family wants Glacier's Keep and Summermount to stay in conflict because of all the reasons she stated which actually make a lot of sense to me as much as it is mean. War IS deathly for the economy of all contributing nations, so she absolutely nailed it that the war is keeping these two nations out of Chromium's way of success. They are quietly thriving because they're maintaining neutrality in the war and keeping national concerns a priority (as opposed to international).

It's REALLY interesting that it's mentioned how they have open trade routes still with Glacier's Keep, or maybe they're just planning to open this for the sake of resources in building this tram. Either way, I would assume they have similar partnerships with.. Summermount. Otherwise it looks like they're playing sides. Alternatively, Summermount or Glacier's Keep supporting Chromium could look like they're inadvertently funding their enemy through Chromium too, depending on what Chromium is choosing to give back to them in return for those resources.

wow, this gets confusing really fast, doesn't it.

Okay, I need to stop that train of thought.

BUT okay so Eydis' suggestion sounds SUPER crucial because they want to build this tram, and they want Glacier's Keep to help them with it (if I'm reading this correctly), and in return, Glacier's Keep gets preferred access to it. This really makes Chromium seem to be taking sides in this, but maybe they're goal is to get Summermount and Chromium to fight again anyway?! But that could also dangerously put Chromium at risk of entering war as well, which these characters don't want.

So Glacier's Keep can provide laborers and resources. I can understand that perhaps Chromium, being as secluded (it seems) as it is, might not have a large population to therefore support such a project. I'm curious about the resources part. Chromium is known for its blacksmithing success, being under or within a mountain, so it has access to those metals and minerals (hence Eydis' internal comments on jewelry and just whipping up an amulet from some stone she sees). I'd imagine they'd have access to stone too, but maybe Glacier's Keep is more technologically advanced as opposed to Chromium's industrial success? Basically, I'd like to know if what Glacier's Keep can provide is so crucial or if another potential ally (and third/neutral party to this conflict) would prove to be a better pact for them.

But part of me thinks that maybe the queen just wants to inadvertently send these two into war again so I also partially believe this plan makes sense. XD So I'm not really sure what to think at this point and how it all fits together, but I'm curious about where it'll go and what its consequences are. The tram sounds like an incredibly crucial piece of info, particularly if this novel is going to pass enough time to allow this tram to exist because these kinds of advantages could be deadly for potential enemies or opponents. Summermount will be pissed if they're refused access to this kind of transportation, which would be a big deal considering the distances between kingdoms and how out-of-the-way Chromium is, and could put Chromium on enemy radar. (I'm... assuming the tram at least goes from Chromium to Glacier's Keep though so maybe I'm just totally off on that. It was never explicitly said where this tram will actually be.)

I DUNNOOOOOOOO I'm such a conspiracy theorist and also very forgetful and wish I had taken better notessss

but I'm having SO much fun with it. XD THERE'S SO MUCH POLITICAL INTRIGUE and I just get really really excited about it

Also also alsO LASO ASLDFO;AISDJF;ALSDKJF LEMBER EMBER'S MOM MAYBE?? MAYBE???????? (I wanted to scream this first thing but it felt like it could be potential spoilers I wasn't really sure but) EMBER'S MOM MAYBEEEEEEE???????

I looooove your descriptions when it comes to these chapters. I really feel like you 110% enjoy writing descriptions for royal families and upper class society and Really Nice Things because gosh. I REALLY honestly felt super relaxed after reading the start of this chapter with the bathtub scene like why am I not taking one right now. And everything and everyone feel and look so beautiful and I just am in happy heaven it was really lovely

And your Eydis character is so wonderful. She is totally her own person and very unique to the rest of your cast, she stands on her own, and her relationship with the queen is incredibly intriguing and real. The dinner scene really wrapped that up nicely for me.

So this was a really well-written chapter I think. POLITICAL INTRIGUE EXCITEMENT THOUGH REALLY

Hijinks wrote a review...

Hi there mellifera! This chapter has been in the green room for a month so I thought I'd stop by with a #RevMo review!

I'm going to go over some more specific stuff first, then move onto some more general comments ~

Disclaimer! I haven't read any previous chapters so if I say something stupid feel free to disregard!

Gosh, you've got some really lovely descriptions in the opening part.

I'd suggest cutting this into two paragraphs, since you've got two people speaking, and I had to read it a couple times to figure out who was saying the last part. Maybe "Eydis shut her eyes..." could be a new paragraph?

“Quite so, princess.”

I love how casually they discuss killing the lord xD

Marsey and one of the cook’s apprentices brought out dishes of something that looked vaguely soup-like, with a toasted, golden-brown layer that floated on top. It smelled of cinnamon and caramel.

Oooh that sounds so yummy!!

Alright, now for more general comments / suggestions.

Considering I've never met these characters before in my life, you do a really good job of showing their different personalities - especially Eydis, her mother, and Marsey. (Also love the names btw!) The only one I'm iffy about is Lord Janvier. I'm not really sure why Eydis hates him so much? He seems pretty regular - edging on bland - so far. Though maybe you're planning on showing why Eydis hates him in a later chapter.

Like I said earlier, I love the descriptions at the start of the chapter! I can envision the bathtubs, the flower petals, the water, the candles, all so well. I would say, it feels like those amazing descriptions sort of peter out and it becomes a bit dialogue-heavy later in the chapter. Especially where we have Eydis and her mother discussing Glacier's Keep and Summermount.

The pacing in this chapter is fantastic - you move from scene to scene at just the right moment, which being someone who finds that hard to do, is super impressive!

Overall, a very strong chapter! My main suggestion is just to balance out the dialogue a bit in the second half of the chapter. I hope this is useful, and happy Review Month!

whatchamacallit

Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 am

Hi! I'm baaaack!!

First Impression: Okay and we transition to a kingdom that we haven't seen before (or have we? This has so many things happening that I honestly forgot all these subplots). Aaand it is pretty interesting see sort of the politics of all of this. And the creepy gargoyles make a cameo which is nice. And you've introduced these four new characters really well here.

Pretty neat little description to start things off.

"Do the rose clasp,” Eydís said. “I don’t want this lord to think I’m trying to look fancy for him.”

Wise move there Eydis.

With the right chemicals it can actually be done pretty cleanly. Just saying.

And a pretty awesome description as always.

Nice little gargoyle cameo there.

There were three people in the room. Two were armoured, in polished and silvery armour. There was a jewel in each of their sword hilts that changed colour as they moved in the light. Eydís didn’t recognise the jewel but made a note to find some to have jewellery made from.

Okay here, the "armored in armor" kind of sounds a little odd...something like "armored in steel or some appropriate word that is not armor" would sound a little better there.

More awesome descriptions.

YES...I love Eydis already.

“Both,” Eydís mumbled.

So the queen isn't even going to ask her what the practical reason is? Seems like she would.

Well...that's very interesting. Also is that war literally called the "Bloody War" because that sounds kind of lazy although they did call the first world war "The Great War" so history doesn't have a great track record of giving interesting names for wars.

Neat little ending to the chapter there.

Overall: Hmm....this was a really well written chapter as always. We get a really good sense of what sort of people these three are and a brief glimpse of the lord character as well and that's always nice to see. These sneak peaks into the kingdoms like I've said before are all really helpful to get the big picture of what's going on in the world and that's obviously a good thing. And so that's about all I have to say. If this sounded weird anywhere its because this is review #20 for the day so sorry if that's the case.

mellifera says...

you know, just like how cold feels cold jkjk this is so obvious it makes me laugh thank you for catching that haha

Also is that war literally called the "Bloody War" because that sounds kind of lazy

I've been waiting since I first mentioned (back in like, interlude two or something) for somebody to be like "that's a pretty lazy name" because it totally is and I just needed a name for a war I invented as I was writing one of the passages xD

I'll definitely fix that lol

also all the love for my descriptions :') I've felt like I've been slipping for a while so I'm glad to hear that I haven't??

thank you as always for your reviews!! I know I don't respond that much (sorry!!) but I always really, really appreciate them (I'm NEVER going to say this enough) <333 I hope you have a wonderful day!!

KateHardy says...

Aww...your welcome!!
Hope you have a wonderful day too!!

Lol...I totally didn't remember it being mentioned earlier. That's definitely something that happens. I mean I am pointing this out when in my world I have something I called "The First War"...because it was well the first war in history....I guess with how intense wars are no one spends much time coming up with creative names for them.

No you definitely haven't. Your descriptions are really amazing. They are so vivid that I just don't have to do anything to imagine it in m head. :D

Aww...this has been a really awesome story to read.

:D

As always stay safe...:D

You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese