18+ Language Violence

Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 38.2)

by mellifera

Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and violence.

a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

Enoch glanced away towards the wall. There were figures in the distance, patrolling atop it, sentries ready for any threat to come to the Blessed Gates. "I can't bring you to Chromium, Ember."

She looked up at him, but he did not look back her. She scowled, as if by will she could make him. "Why not?"

"I can't. If you're so determined to go, find someone else."

She got to her feet. "No, you're not just going to say, 'I can't bring you' and then decide not to tell me. What's it that you're hiding? Why can't you bring me to Chromium?"

Enoch's mouth twisted into a snarl. "Dammit, Ember, I said I can't bring you. That's it. I was telling you a fact." He turned away and marched towards the barn.

"That's not it!" she cried and ran after him. "Why can't you bring me? If you don't want to just say so, leave then! None of the others need you and I certainly don't either! I can get to Chromium on my own, with Cassius and Ori and Alanna, and you can stay in this dreadful cold not being able to feel your fingers when winter comes."

Enoch waved his hand dismissively. "I'm sure you'll be just fine. With your fire, you can just burn everything that you see in your path and you'll forge an ashen path right to Chromium."

She halted, so quickly it hurt her knees to. She stared at the back of his head, sucking in an inhale so sharply it stung her throat. Her eyes prickled. The fire she'd summoned the last time, when the Grey Masks had ambushed them while they were with Enoch, danced in her mind. She could feel the intensity sometimes, and the magic, still calling to her in the most desperate of moments.

And the worst part of it was that, rather than tell her it was a normal side effect of magic, or tell her what in devils she was meant to do with it, Ori didn't even seem to know why she had this power or what she was supposed to do with it.

Enoch stopped just before he opened the barn door and turned back to look at her.

She swallowed, blinking so she didn't start crying. It was a foolish thing to cry about. Childish. She whirled away from him, and headed towards the street. She wanted to be away, wanted to get lost maybe. With Cassius focused on other things, or moaning about how hard Enoch's training was, she couldn't talk to him. Ori was mysterious and all-knowing or whatever and that was great, but they hadn't been helpful about this so far. Alanna was too young. Nobody knew any better than she did about what was happening.

And the fire was fine, it was, except in the moments she had lost control. It was crushing not to be able to keep herself in check like that.

She made it some distance from the barn and into the main thoroughfare when a hand clasped her shoulder. She jumped. In an instance, she had turned, and punched the closest mass to her.

It turned out to be Enoch's knee. He grunted and reached for it. "It's just me, fuck's sake."

"Don't sneak up on me," she snapped. "What're you following me for anyway? Don't you have lone wolfiness to attend to?"

He grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the way of the main flow of activity. She didn't resist him, although had half a mind to bite him, for the sake of it.

Still holding her arm, he glanced around their space for several moments. There wasn't all that much to look at, he'd practically dragged them into the mouth of an alleyway between two stone-built, squat houses. There were walls to look at, and a barrel that was sealed but smelled faintly of something strong and gross.

She kicked his shin as he continued to not-say anything. "I said, what did you follow me for?"

He glowered down at her. "All right, no need to give me more bruises, you little ankle biter. Look, I... What I said, just before. That wasn't fair, and I'm sorry that I said it." He watched her for a moment, and his glower deepened. "I'm sorry all right, I am."

"Sound more genuine, would you?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

Enoch sighed, shut his eyes, then knelt in front of her. "Ember. I'm sorry I said that about you. That wasn't right."

She eyed him closely, then sniffled and glanced away. She wiped at her cheeks. "Whatever."

He looked down at the ground, inhaling deeply and exhaling it back out slowly. It wasn't quite cold enough to cloud in front of his face, but she imagined it, from the corner of her eyes, all the same. It was more fun than focusing on what they were talking about.

"I can't take you to Chromium because I was exiled."

She looked so quickly back at him that her neck ached. "What?"

He wasn't looking at her. "I was a knight, and I was exiled, and if I return there, I'll be arrested. Or maybe they would kill me right on the spot. And if you and the others were with me, I don't know what they'd do to you either."

The tense anger in her chest loosened, and she studied his face, weary and painfully vulnerable. She hadn't seen an adult look like that before. All the adults she knew never talked to her like this, never looked like this around her.

"Why?" she asked. Then, unable to help herself, "Did you steal children there too?"

For one moment, she thought he might snap at her. But he glanced up instead, and his mouth twitched for the briefest of moments. "No, I didn't steal children." He held her gaze for a moment, and then ducked his chin, almost sheepish. "As it turns out, I'm not all that good at it anyway." He stood back up.

She felt a chill seep through, into her skin and into her flesh. “But you made it sound so huge and beautiful. What could you have possibly done?”

“That’s a story for another day, perhaps.”

“You know practically everything about me,” she pointed out. “It seems only fair. Besides, since you’re not technically kidnapping me anymore, that’s grounds for you to be watching over me, and I think I should know the what kind of person is guardian-ing me.”

He squinted down at her. “That isn’t a word.”

She wrinkled her nose. “You’re not my languages professor. This isn’t class. I can say whatever I want, however I want to.”

He sighed. “You are an absolute terror and menace and pain, did you know that?”

Ember curled one corner of her mouth. “Of course.”

“The knight who trained me, my mentor. I killed him.” He glared down at her. “And that is a story for another day.”

She swallowed. Why would Enoch kill another knight? And moreover, his mentor? She looked up at him, looked at the scar on his lip and his dark hair covering his ears, hanging by his jaw. His dark, stony eyes. The grooves and furrows in his brow.

“Fine,” she said. “But that means you’ve got to put me on your shoulders and bring me back to the barn.”

He looked at her incredulously. “Aren’t you like, fourteen?”

“No,” she said. “But I will be, in a season.” She gestured for his back. “Fairs fair. You upset me. I could run off instead, and then you’d have to come find me.”

Enoch gave her a long-suffering look, and then crouched back down. “You’re going to be the death of me.”

She beamed.

word count:

1,299

Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:07 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

Potato

Did he get exiled or something? Now that we're on the topic, who is Enoch? xD

She halted, so quickly it hurt her knees to.

Ahh, that was a bad spot to pick at, Enoch

She swallowed, blinking so she didn't start crying. It was a foolish thing to cry about. Childish.

Nooooo. All of them seem to wave away their problems, seeing them as not important enough or not valid. I really wish they all could see that all of their problems and feelings are valid <3

ELSAAA HEHE

She didn't resist him, although had half a mind to bite him, for the sake of it.

Ember feels like the most well written character for me, because all of the little details you include in her pov just make perfect sense. I feel the closest to her and I can understand her the most. She's so consistent and it's great

DUDE I LITERALLY SAID THAT okay maybe it was supposed to be obvious or something BUT I ALSO USED THE EXACT SAME WORD

This seemed so out of place and it made me laugh :p

NOOOO

I feel like Enoch isn't the type to just randomly kill someone out of spite or whatever, so I'm not going to think/judge this until I hear the full story

"Fine,” she said. “But that means you’ve got to put me on your shoulders and bring me back to the barn.”

I love Enoch and Ember <3 <3 <3 *insert 1,000,000 hearts*

I'm so glad we got to learn a little bit more about Enoch! The fact that he was willing to trust that information to Ember means they're getting closer and ahh they're probably my fav characters <3 Ember could be a main character of a movie/show and everyone would love her. She's just so enjoyable and fun!

OMG WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME

a;djkal;sfjasldfjasldjf

Ahhhhhhhh omgomgomg I can't believe it but I'm so excited because Enoch KILLED his Obi Wan Kenobi and I just. i LOVE THIS TURN. Why did he do it? What happened? Who was in the wrong in that particular instance?! Enoch is clearly distraught by the situation. He doesn't want to talk about it and he seems rather heartbroken any of it had to happen in the first place, so I do wonder.... What if someone put him up to it or tricked him into killing his mentor? Or what if he's beating himself up for someone else's murder? Or eveN SUICIDE?? I DON'T KNOW, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AHHHHHH

But I still feel like we can trust him. We can trust him even mORE, I think, because he was willing to share such a personal fact about himself. I'm glad to see he's still careful not to tell the story yet because 1) he's still not quite ready to share it, I'm sure, and 2) she's only 14 so why would he even feel like he had to tell her everything? I think it's a huge step for him to share the fact that he was banished for murdering his mentor, which is more than plenty to put into perspective for Ember exactly why he can't help her.

But he's tOTALLY going to help her because Enoch and Ember will forever be amazing.

I assume Danica and Rowan overheard the conversation earlier though, so I am curious as to whether they're worried about Ember and what could have set Enoch off so bad. They don't know he was banished, of cousre, but he did bring up the crazy fire magic. I'm sure Rowan is intriued by Ember's incredible gift as well, and they both probably figured Enoch was behaving a bit unfiarly in their spat too. I guess I'm mostly curious about the repercussions of not only them witnessing Ember and Enoch fighting but also whether what Ember foung out will be shared with the others.

It also puts quite a wrench in their reputation as a traveling group in that if anyone recognizes Enoch, it could be disastrous. Who knows what they'd recognize him for? And if they recognized him for being banished from Chromium, well.... I guess there was a reason he had no fear traveling in the Wilderlands! Maybe he had hoped to gain some sort of protection when he originally captured the children, or maybe enough money to move far away. It's all kind of... sad the more I think about it. :( I hope Enoch will be okay. ilu enoch.

Ember winning a ride on Enoch's shoulders is everything omg. <3

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey mel! I'm back to work on clearing out the Green Room and crush my RevMo goals in one fell swoop.

I'll be honest, I had to consult this guide to figure out how to write a useful review for you. This chapter was really well-done; I wasn't overwhelmed or underwhelmed, your pacing was (almost) perfect, your characters behaved in an understandable, relatable, and characteristic way, and you introduced the right amount of new plot elements and developments (I hope you appreciated that rhyme). I'll jump into a few nitpicks, then move onto my broad impressions of some larger topics.

It turned out to be Enoch's knee.
Either she's punching downwards, which is an interesting strategy to say the least, or she is extremely short. Unaimed punches (like the type of punch a surprised person would throw before they've had time to assess the situation) would likely be at neck or chin level. Like, the scene in Brooklyn 99 season 5 episode 3 (I think?) where Holt and Jake are in the storage unit and Amy opens the door and Jake surprises her and she punches him in the throat. They're about the same height and her punch connected in the neck. All this to say, unless somehow Ember is only as tall as Enoch's knee, she's sitting down (although I double-checked and I don't think you say anywhere that Ember sat down), or she punched downwards, there's no way her punch connected with his knee.

Something I noticed in this chapter was that you didn't bring in as much description as you usually do. You tease at it in a few places (and perhaps you've described this setting in other chapters), but I didn't notice anywhere that you described the barn, the crowd, or the town beyond your description of the watchmen in the first bit. I think adding a bit more description could help temper the fast-paced conversation and allow the readers to sit in each emotion for a little longer.

I really enjoyed the dynamic between these two characters. Even though Enoch seems to be significantly older (and taller :P) than Ember, he treats her as an equal, makes sure that he hears her apologize, and values her opinions and feelings. In turn, Ember is quick to forgive him and hears him out when he acknowledges wrongdoing. They have a very sibling-like dynamic, with him offering tender protection and her stubbornly resisting but secretly being grateful for that shield. I hope to see more of them in the next few chapters!

Overall, a very strong chapter that left me fumbling for ways to write a helpful review. I hope that my thoughts, broad and small, were helpful to you, and as always, if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!

And as a special treat for writing such a great chapter and having the good fortune to be my first review after creating this, I would like you to be the first author to have my legendary RevMo banner used in a review of your work.

Best,
Tuck

mellifera says...

I admit, Ember probably should have punched like, his hip or stomach or something, but yea, she's a lot shorter than him! her being short and him being pretty tall makes it so she probably wouldn't punch him in the throat (the height comparison is a lot different from Jake/Amy lol), but she definitely wouldn't punch him in the knee either haha

also re: description I?? think I already described some of what you mentioned in earlier chapters, and I try not to fall into repetition too much unless I think it's worth mentioning? but also I was definitely getting lazy with description too so thank you for reminding me!!

omg you're so sweet though?? thank you so much for your reviews, they fill me with warmth and joy :') also I LOVE your revmo banner, v atmospheric and beautiful <3

Atticus says...

aww thank you <33 you are too nice lol. I'm filing "atmospheric" away as the best compliment I've received today haha

Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:03 am

Aaaaand part 2!!

First Impression: Oh this was kind of sad...but happy at the same time. Also *smug smile* Enoch's backstory. 100% predicted that one except I thought he had something to do with helping them steal Ember and that's what lead to his exile so...on the second count I was very wrong but he was and exiled knight so *happy dance*. Besides that, this shows quite the relationship development between Ember and Enoch.

I love the way you write this argument. The information is very slow to be revealed and Enoch lashes out immediately without just spilling his life secrets. Its very realistic that way and its just really well done.

Didn't peg Rowan to be that unhelpful about he whole ordeal. Or maybe that's just the way she's seeing things because of the mental state that she is in.

Is it bad that I want to know what's inside the barrel?

I'm not sure saying little and ankle biter quite works. Ankle biter is itself conveying the same thing that little does so it just sounds off. Removing the little would probably be better.

*celebration dance*

Come on Ember, he has no idea about you're biggest secret, you can't ask him his biggest secret. That's not fair.

Great...now I have to figure this out.

She beamed.

*dies from overload of fluffiness*

Aaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Another great piece with literally nothing to point out. This is continuing to really interesting. Also...Rowan....hurry up and figure things out won't ya. Sooo much tension.

Forever is composed of nows.
— Emily Dickenson