z

Young Writers Society



Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 52.1)

by mellifera


a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

[Mishal]

The passing, jubilant melody of a bard plucking a lute echoed even through the closed windows. Sunlight poured in golden shafts through the room, cutting apart even the darkest shadows.

It was jarring and achingly discordant.

Mishal tightened his grip on the windowsill. As his nails dug in, a splinter pierced his fingertip, and wood creaked under his grip.

None of this was right. The world should be drained of its colour and splendour. Everything should be monochrome and solemn. But light and vibrant hues burned his eyes like the sun, leaving them hot and swollen.

Margaretta cleared her throat. It broke apart in the air, immediately snuffed out like a candle lit in a strong breeze.

He watched someone tug a stubborn horse’s lead. If he focused hard enough, he didn’t have to think…

Gracia made a noise like a false start of a conversation. The chair she was sitting in, somewhere behind him, scraped against the wooden floor. “I’m going to see if those flowers have arrived yet.”

Gracia.” Margaretta’s voice was hoarse and low. “Send for the rest of the guild. They need to know what happened.”

Mishal shut his eyes. He didn’t want to think about those left back at the Citadel. The kids. Alanna and Cassius.

“…the rest of the guild,” Gracia repeated, voice hesitant.

The silence that filled the space once again had become an intimate companion in the last day. It was so stiflingly quiet, and yet, Mishal’s head spun and throbbed so badly he expected blood to pour form his ears at any moment.

Finally, he heard Margaretta’s heavy exhale. “You know who I mean. Bring them back here. And Moira’s apprentice… he needs to know.”

He opened his eyes and frowned. Slowly, he turned, an acidic taste rising in his mouth. “Bring them… here.” He narrowed his eyes. His throat cracked and ached. He couldn’t remember when last he’d had a drink, nor a bite to eat. “What about Ashael?”

Another lapse of silence, as if by command of the universe, so too did the noise dim in the streets. The windows shuddered, and the walls creaked as though sensing the tension they trapped within them.

Gracia stood with her head bent, in the archway that led out of the room, her hands pressed into the front of her dark grey dress and pale apron. “Mishal—"

Go bring the others here,” Margaretta said. She was leaning against the ivory mantle of the fireplace, staring down at the charred remains of the log, her expression lost and yet present. She looked at the logs like the remains of a fallen child.

He gave Gracia another look in time to meet her gaze and found that she wore the same, pale, miserable expression everyone wore when they looked at him. Then she disappeared down the hall.

Margaretta,” he said, his voice rusted and worn, yet he had hardly used it recently. “What about Ashael?”

She closed her eyes. “Understand I was keeping your best interests in mind. I did not wish to cause you or Isadora undue fear—”

What did you not say?”

Margaretta pursed her lips and opened her eyes. She didn’t look up at him, and her jaw twitched as though she was fighting some powerful force within herself. But she remained calm, as she always did, and a part of Mishal shrivelled and went sour.

Thom returned from the errand I sent him and Gillian on.”

When?” He shifted forward. His legs and shins burned with the movements, in the places the crystal shards had pierced and burrowed into his skin.

She swallowed carefully and raised her chin, as if addressing a crowd, when she turned to face him. “Some time before we returned from the expedition. I asked them to stay at a nearby inn and away from… the two of you. I did not want the two of you to worry about what had happened. Gillian remained back in the village, but Thom did return with several members of the guild.”

Questions whirled through his head like arrows, piercing through his temples, but he held them carefully behind his teeth as Margaretta paused. Why did they come? How many is several?

How did you keep the other kids away?

Margaretta glanced back at the ash in the fireplace. “Early into the Season of the Sun’s Reign, the Citadel was, evidently, burned down. Those who did not wish to stay in the village or begin rebuilding efforts came with Thom back here to reconvene with us.”

He grabbed the back of the chair to steady himself as he grew dizzy, fuzz hazing his vision. The Citadel. Burned down. “How—” He glanced up at Margaretta, a panic so sudden and so intense it hurt burst in his chest. The grief that had eclipsed him before now was doubled, swallowing him whole and threatening to drown him. “Where are the other four?”

Margaretta didn’t respond.

Ice filled his veins and his teeth clacked together. “Margaretta, where are they?”

She bent her head. “No one knows. Nobody saw them after the fire started. There was too much chaos and confusion, and apparently there were assailants as well. They started the fire, a mage did, and nobody knows what happened to them either.”

He managed two steps forward and it was all he needed to get close enough to collapse into the armchair he had been gripping. He buried his face in his hands, digging his palms into his eyes and rubbing. This couldn’t be real, not so much like this all at once. A lump rose in his throat, and the familiar prickle under the heels of his hands, at the back of his eyes, began to sting anew. There was nothing now that could make this worse. Fate had played its hand, and he wasn’t the slightest bit sure how to survive this.

Margaretta!”

Gracia’s voice split through the silence like a beacon in the night, and despite her breathless and joyous tone, he stayed where he was. She sounded faraway and muddled. He watched the abyss swirl on the back of his eyelids, colours and shapes spinning before him, and fought against the tide that was swelling inside of him.

The silence stretched on forever around him, broken on by the soft rustle of clothes and the tap of shoes against the floor, but it seemed slowed. Buffered. Like something had pulled at the flow of time and obstructed it.

Then suddenly Margaretta’s voice, in a tone he had never heard it in before, broke it. “Oh, thank the gods.”

He reluctantly raised his head, feeling like his every limb weighed a hundred pounds, and his heart stilled.

An unfamiliar woman, so tall she had to duck under the archway to step into the room, surveyed them. She wore polished, dark grey armour, and her skin was darker and smoother than his. A halo of black hair clouded around her head, frizzled, and ruffled but otherwise kept.

She was flanked on either side by two very familiar faces.

They both looked older, though he had last seen them only a few seasons ago. Rowan looked far more dishevelled and disarrayed than Mishal had ever seen them, but there was a comfortable familiarity in their soft smile that warmed Mishal’s chest. Their hair was sloppily braided, in a way that he had never known Rowan to be, but there was an incredible relief in Rowan’s expression that loosened something inside himself.

Alanna, of the two of them, looked much older than he remembered. The lines of her face with grim and sharper, highlighted in a way he hadn’t known. Her eyes were brighter and colder now somehow, even though they had already been so striking he couldn’t imagine any more. But her face softened as she met his gaze, and a smile broke out and crinkled her eyes.

There was a prolonged moment of stillness, before Alanna barrelled towards him. He had enough time to stand before he caught her, nearly falling back with the effort. Something cracked in his chest as he pulled her close, and he found himself holding her as tightly as he could without harming her. He gritted his teeth until they hurt, grimacing in an attempt to begin weeping again.

Alanna was here. Now.

It did get worse.

word count:

1,395


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
465 Reviews


Points: 29825
Reviews: 465

Donate
Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm
View Likes
starlitmind wrote a review...



LAST CHAPTER WHAT.

The passing, jubilant melody of a bard plucking a lute echoed even through the closed windows. Sunlight poured in golden shafts through the room, cutting apart even the darkest shadows.

It was jarring and achingly discordant.


I love the way you've set up the mood with your, obviously, beautiful descriptions

omg I just remembered Ashael. I saw his name while scrolling down here.The news has to be broken to him as well ahhhh

Mishal shut his eyes. He didn’t want to think about those left back at the Citadel. The kids. Alanna and Cassius.


It's so hard for me to imagine their reactions. We've seen how close and tight everyone is, and losing Isadora is going to hit really hard. I mean, I hurt me and I only knew her for some months briefly xD I still don't like you

“Early into the Season of the Sun’s Reign, the Citadel was, evidently, burned down. Those who did not wish to stay in the village or begin rebuilding efforts came with Thom back here to reconvene with us.”


I also forgot that Mishal was not aware of this. Wow, a lot is getting thrown at him at once. I can't even begin to imagine the pain he's going through right now. Right now was probably not the best time to tell him, but again, when would've been the right time?

Ice filled his veins and his teeth clacked together. “Margaretta, where are they?”


DON'T WORRY MISHAL, SOME OF THEM ARE COMING TO YOU AND YOU CAN HEAR THE WHOLE STORY. JUST HOLD ON A BIT LONGER <3

“Margaretta!”

Gracia’s voice split through the silence like a beacon in the night, and despite her breathless and joyous tone


ITS ALANNA AND ROWAN I BET YOU

Alanna was here. Now.

It did get worse.


YES THEY'RE FINALLY HERE.

Although this does mean that Mishal has to break the news to the two, I think it's good that Alanna especially is here, because maybe she can get some closure from the funeral they're having (or something like a flower; this chapter mentioned flowers, so I'm assuming some sort of procession is happening). AND this is also good for Mishal, cause he needs someone to lean on and talk to <3

You set up the mood really well in this chapter. Mishal's reaction to her death is so heartbreaking, and it hurts to read.

Is Mishal going to find out about his trueblood next part? :O




User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:03 pm
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



THE LAST CHAPTER AHHHH!

I can't believe this moment is here! I am so scared for what I'm about to read!

Okay, I read the thing and I am so full of feels right now. I couldn't stop reading the whole time 'cause I was so worried and now here I am and I have too many feels to discuss at once.

When I first started reading this, I was surprised it wasn't Alanna, but it also made sense that it was Mishal given what had happened to Isadora. So when I saw Alanna show up at the end, I was like... mightily impressed and LOVE how you paced that out. It was just marvelously done. So now we do end this story with Alanna, and I am 110% on board with that.

Poor Gracia. I had a somewhat hard time following that whole exchange, with Margaretta telling her to "get the others". Seeing who inevitably showed up, I wonder who Margaretta originally expected? (I also forgot who Moira was, let alone her apprentice... shame on me.) Margaretta was surprised and relieved to see Rowan and Alanna, so she must've told Gracia to fetch someone else. In which case, Gracia must've seen these two on the way to do her mission, which would explain why her absence wasn't very long. (I'll probably find out more about this next segment.)

The way Thom an Gillian were explained did feel like a first draft cop-out, like I had no idea Margaretta was hiding anyone from Mishal and Isadora, though I did think it was strange we saw no interaction between them and the rest of their group while they stayed here. But I was curious as to why Margaretta didn't trust Thom an Gillian to be near Mishal. Did she think Mishal (and Isadora) would bombard them with quetstions? What's the fear of telling them the truth anyway? I think it might work better if Thom and Gillian had showed up at that moment with Rowan and Alanna instead, which might lead to a more genuine surprise from Margaretta, but I might be prematurely coming to conclusions too since I only know so much.

Mishal's emotions here were fantastic. They were perfect. He is absolutely battling tens of emotions right now, and we see several of them throughout this segment. He's sad, he's lonely, heartbroken. Then we see glimmers of anger and frustration when talking with Margaretta (which I was TOTALLY cheering him on during that, and also kudos to you/him for remembering Ashael!!!), then suddenly he's relieved and sick to see Rowan and Alanna right now. As much as he wants to rejoice, he knows they will only be saddened from here onward.

And the way you've had people recognize Alanna's growth over the last year has been such a great way to identify the passage of time as well as her maturity. Mishal's reaction here really made all that worth it an more. Because it had legit been that long since he'd seen her.

I like how you somewhat introduced Danica here hahahaha. Hopefully, they meet them proper in the next segment to confirm for the reader that Danica is with them now. Otherwise, as it is, it just feels like we introduced a brand new character in the novel's final chapter.

Sadly, my final babble has to be cut short for now, but I'm really excited to read your last segment. I can't believe it's already over! I don't know if you plan to write a sequel any time soon, but -- well, I'll get into all that next chapter. I predict next chapter is going to be really sad, but I'm excited to see Mishal get brought up to speed anyway. It's always cool to see characters reunite like this.

I'll have to bring the tissues though, that's for sure.




mellifera says...


When I first started reading this, I was surprised it wasn't Alanna, but it also made sense that it was Mishal given what had happened to Isadora. So when I saw Alanna show up at the end, I was like... mightily impressed and LOVE how you paced that out. It was just marvelously done. So now we do end this story with Alanna, and I am 110% on board with that.


IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ALANNA ACTUALLY!! up to the point where I was WRITING this chapter, the last chapter was supposed to be from Alanna's perspective, but when I wrote the ending (I wrote the last two-ish paragraphs pretty early on), it was from Mishal's perspective. Alanna wouldn't have heard the prophecy, so it wouldn't have been quite the same. I found at the last chapter that the tones and beats I needed to hit were Mishal's, even though it would have been really great to write Alanna coming into the City of Bells for the first time and her finding out about Isadora and all that.

I also forgot who Moira was, let alone her apprentice... shame on me.


this is no surprise, I had to change some names around lol Moira's apprentice is Ashael!

The way Thom an Gillian were explained did feel like a first draft cop-out, like I had no idea Margaretta was hiding anyone from Mishal and Isadora, though I did think it was strange we saw no interaction between them and the rest of their group while they stayed here. But I was curious as to why Margaretta didn't trust Thom an Gillian to be near Mishal. Did she think Mishal (and Isadora) would bombard them with quetstions? What's the fear of telling them the truth anyway? I think it might work better if Thom and Gillian had showed up at that moment with Rowan and Alanna instead, which might lead to a more genuine surprise from Margaretta, but I might be prematurely coming to conclusions too since I only know so much.


someone mentioned Thom and Gillian in a review halfway through the novel and I was like OH NO because I had forgotten about them, and while I did figure it out after that (which is why Jax ended up in Glacier's Keep!), I couldn't find any reason to bring it up? Margaretta didn't want to tell them because she knew they would freak out as soon as they found out the Citadel had burned down and the other kids were missing and then she would lose them (which was the whole reason they were on the expedition, so it was easier to keep them in the dark and keep them under control). But I understand that it feels like me just trying to explain it away too.

I need to fix it, haven't figured out quite how yet. I was aware of it, but there was no way to mention them without mentioning what had happened to the Citadel and the kids and having Mishal and Isadora immediately leave.

<3 <3 <3



User avatar
4102 Reviews


Points: 254163
Reviews: 4102

Donate
Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:28 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: Well looks like our duo got her faster than expected and you're planning on ending this on the saddest note possible...oh well...I wouldn't expect any less....judging by your wall posts.

Anyway let's get right to it,

The passing, jubilant melody of a bard plucking a lute echoed even through the closed windows. Sunlight poured in golden shafts through the room, cutting apart even the darkest shadows.

It was jarring and achingly discordant.

Mishal tightened his grip on the windowsill. As his nails dug in, a splinter pierced his fingertip, and wood creaked under his grip.


Well that certainly sets an appropriate tone for this part of the story. Lovely establishing of the setting right there.

None of this was right. The world should be drained of its colour and splendour. Everything should be monochrome and solemn. But light and vibrant hues burned his eyes like the sun, leaving them hot and swollen.

Margaretta cleared her throat. It broke apart in the air, immediately snuffed out like a candle lit in a strong breeze.


Uhh...not quite sure about that last line of description there. Not sure if I can really picture what actually happens at that point.

The silence that filled the space once again had become an intimate companion in the last day. It was so stiflingly quiet, and yet, Mishal’s head spun and throbbed so badly he expected blood to pour form his ears at any moment.

Finally, he heard Margaretta’s heavy exhale. “You know who I mean. Bring them back here. And Moira’s apprentice… he needs to know.”


And how many months is that going to take...

“Go bring the others here,” Margaretta said. She was leaning against the ivory mantle of the fireplace, staring down at the charred remains of the log, her expression lost and yet present. She looked at the logs like the remains of a fallen child.


Well...at least her plan is still viable. Just requires slight alterations.

She closed her eyes. “Understand I was keeping your best interests in mind. I did not wish to cause you or Isadora undue fear—”


*sigh*...typical adult character in a story...

“Thom returned from the errand I sent him and Gillian on.”

“When?” He shifted forward. His legs and shins burned with the movements, in the places the crystal shards had pierced and burrowed into his skin.


I was just going to ask about that in the earlier part...but I guess I should delete that.

Questions whirled through his head like arrows, piercing through his temples, but he held them carefully behind his teeth as Margaretta paused. Why did they come? How many is several?

How did you keep the other kids away?


Uhh...maybe its just me but it was kinda weird to see the same person's thoughts split into two paragraphs.

He grabbed the back of the chair to steady himself as he grew dizzy, fuzz hazing his vision. The Citadel. Burned down. “How—” He glanced up at Margaretta, a panic so sudden and so intense it hurt burst in his chest. The grief that had eclipsed him before now was doubled, swallowing him whole and threatening to drown him. “Where are the other four?”

Margaretta didn’t respond.



Oh god...*sighing intensifies*

He managed two steps forward and it was all he needed to get close enough to collapse into the armchair he had been gripping. He buried his face in his hands, digging his palms into his eyes and rubbing. This couldn’t be real, not so much like this all at once. A lump rose in his throat, and the familiar prickle under the heels of his hands, at the back of his eyes, began to sting anew. There was nothing now that could make this worse. Fate had played its hand, and he wasn’t the slightest bit sure how to survive this.


Poor guy...

Then suddenly Margaretta’s voice, in a tone he had never heard it in before, broke it. “Oh, thank the gods.”


Right...well that's bad but also good...

There was a prolonged moment of stillness, before Alanna barrelled towards him. He had enough time to stand before he caught her, nearly falling back with the effort. Something cracked in his chest as he pulled her close, and he found himself holding her as tightly as he could without harming her. He gritted his teeth until they hurt, grimacing in an attempt to begin weeping again.

Alanna was here. Now.

It did get worse.


Yes to that....

Aaaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Overall its done beautifully as always...well kind of disappointed at Margaretta keeping that from them...sooo many stories have that but I guess the reason they have that is because that's the realistic option lol...so anyways I'll try to get to the other part THE LAST ONE in the next hour or so. :)

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




mellifera says...


ahaha yes Margaretta is very much That Adult Character. it wasn't so much that she didn't want them to know because she thought they couldn't handle it or she didn't want to upset them (which is about to sound really cruel lol), she knew if she told them that they would immediately go after them, and she needed them for their trueblood to get into the ruins (presumably). It was less of me trying to be cliche and more of keeping the characters separated right now.


thank you as always!!! <3 <3 <3




Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy