Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 27)

by mellifera

a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

“This is hopeless.”

Tanzer smiled brightly and held out his hand. On the floor, her skirts akimbo around her, shirt falling partially off her shoulder, and dark ginger hair spilling out of her bun, Adelaide glared up at him. Music washed around them like running water, lilting and swift, the sweetest notes played quickly and expertly. Allegro. Dulce.

“Nonsense,” he said. “I used to be just like you! Two left feet. Couldn’t dance to save my life. But here we are!” He glided across the floor, twirling and leaning into the movements, up on his toes and then swooping down into a bow. His hair, pulled back into a bun, tickled the back of his neck.

He usually loved letting it down, but it was humid and hot and their beautiful, open porches with glistening, lacquered bamboo was doing nothing to stifle the heat. Thank the Sea for the shade under the canopy though. His hair was too thick for this kind of weather.

“It’s true,” Dove chirped, sitting on the floor at the edge of the porch, leaning on one of the bamboo support beams. “He used to step on my toes all the times during these kinds of dances.” She tilted her head. “But then he wanted to start impressing Kaian, and asked Mama for lessons.” She smiled sweetly at him. “I was perfect always, of course.”

Adelaide rolled her eyes. “Of course, you were, you’re perfect at everything.” She huffed and ignored his hand, picking herself back up off the floor. “We’ve been at this for hours, Tanzer, I’m tired of this. I hate dancing.”

He rolled his eyes. “Rude.”

“You should get used to it,” Dove said. She put the book she had resting on her knees facedown in her lap, throwing one long, slender leg over the other. “Dancing is the biggest custom here.”

“I know,” Adelaide groaned. “But can’t I do something else more interesting? Like visit the sailors, or learn how to navigate a ship? That sounds like so much more fun! Imagine visiting the mainland!”

Tanzer sighed and waved his hand, gesturing towards the seashell on the painted table beside them. “Silentium,” he said, and the seashell went quiet, the music fading away. “Ada, come on. Just for the High Sun festival. It’s important we put our best foot forward for this ceremony.”

“Besides, Mama’s been to the mainland. Says it’s boring and stuffy. The other kingdoms are full of themselves. They have hereditary monarchy.” Dove scoffed. “Can you imagine being ruled by someone just because someone pretentious and arrogant had popped them out?”

“Well it doesn’t matter for you,” Adelaide grumbled towards Dove, irritably. “You’re so beautiful and good at everything that you’ll probably win the next tournament for Shepherd anyway.”

Dove approached Adelaide to tug her hair out of its ribbon. Adelaide squawked and tried to duck from her grasp but Dove already had years of experience wrangling little siblings and scraggly children under her belt and caught Adelaide without issue. She began to braid Adelaide’s hair.

“I need to teach you how to sound genuine when you’re complimenting someone, because you said something very nice to me just then but you made it sound like an insult,” Dove said as she worked.

Adelaide shot him a hopeful look and mouthed help.

He held up his hands. “Who am I to interfere with them? Their power far exceeds mine. Rule of older siblings and all that.”

“Ugh,” Adelaide groaned. “You’re useless.”

“Harsh.”

Dove tugged on Adelaide’s hair. “Don’t be rude to your brother. Or me.” She tied the ribbon around the end of the thick braid of Adelaide’s hair, frizzy and much coarser than her own, and gave it a tug.

A patter of footsteps against the soft dirt path turned Tanzer’s attention around and when they had spun, they found Laila hopping up onto the porch. Her auburn hair was tied back with a cloth, and she was shucking her smock off at him.

“Your shift’s on at the orphanage. Mama wants you to run storytime, the kids like you best,” she said. “Is Da home?”

“Ran down to the docks to paint that ship they’re working on,” he said. “But Papa’s in. He’s working on the garden out back. You know, his prize vegetables for the High Sun Festival.”

Laila shook her head, but she was smiling. “His prize vegetables. Dove, Bee’s asking about you again. Buy them flowers, for Storm mercy’s sake, they’re dying for a response.” And without another word, Laila disappeared in a flurry of skirts inside, door clattering behind her.

He unravelled the bunched-up smock Laila had thrown at him. “Well, that’s me then. Ada, why don’t you go find Da down at the docks and show him the new steps.”

The joy and placation of getting to see the new ship being built must have been more than enough to sway her, because Adelaide grinned and leapt off the porch without bothering to grab shoes or use the stairs, and took off down the street.

Dove was looking carefully composed, but her lips were pinched in a way that he knew meant she was trying not to smile. Her skin was too dark to see her blush easily, but if she moved into the sun, she’d be glowing.

“Laila’s right. Buy Bee flowers. Amarie’s are the best.” Then, without waiting for some smart or sneaky—or the worst, embarrassed—response from his sister, he took off down the street in the opposite direction as Adelaide.

Dove shouted something at him from a distance, and the ribbon tying his hair back came undone. He laughed as his hair billowed out behind him, the fawn-pale ends of his hair fading from the black catching gold from the sun overhead.

The High Sun Festival was Tanzer’s favourite celebration of the year for many, many reasons. The dances that went on for hours each of the five days were full of energy that buzzed through the crowds in waves. There was lively, jaunty dances, and slower dances to sway to. They could raucous and sweet and melodious and everything in between.

And all the food. The wonderful, homemade cooking brought as a communal setup, fresh meals and baked goods eat day. And it all wafted through the air, overpowering the saltwater tang that normally filled the breeze from the ocean that was never far away.

And the firelights everywhere. Some spaces doused in the warm orange glow of bonfires or torches, while others were cast in the ethereal blue of magefire.

Plus, everyone from the island attended. Or most everyone. It was his chance to talk and catch up and made find some who were as easy to talk to as they were on the eyes. Plus, Mama always brought all the kids from her orphanage to the festival, and there was nothing more special than the way their faces lit up at all the sweets and cheer.

If Dove was going to be the most charismatic and beautiful of the family, she was going to have to work for it. He wasn’t going to let her have it easily.

And if his birthday was at the tail end of the festival? Well…

The bushes and palm fronds were rustling in the seawater breeze as he approached the orphanage. Muscata’s Flock read the painted sign outside, each letter slightly dilapidated by a child’s jarring handwriting, with an assortment of clashing, bright colours. A few kids hand put painted handprints on the sign, while others had drawn a butterfly, a tree, a sun, and in one case, an impressive depiction of a steering wheel.

He pushed open the swinging doors and found the foyer empty. Inside, however, he could hear the thunder of footsteps and squeals of energised kids.

As he stepped into the main plaza room, with all its floor-to-ceiling shudders shoved open to the lovely breeze and elements from outside, he spotted Mama sitting in the middle of the floor. Two children, Nastagia and Palmerio, were attempted to paint her face with her cosmetics kit. There seemed to be streaks of kohl over her cheek and what was meant to go on her lips was on her eyelids.

“Zanner!” someone, probably Savia, shrieked. And, like a torch being lit in the dark, everyone stopped what they were doing and swarmed him.

He scooped up the first two victims that got close to him and immediately sagged under the weight. Savia, on his right hip, immediately began to yank on his hair and inspect it, as though it were different then last inspection. Venerio, the other, a quiet and generally shy child tucked their head against Tanzer’s shoulder. The others, more or less, tried to give him an en mass hug.

Mama was watching him from her place on the floor with a smile, her warm, honey-brown eyes crinkled in the corners. He grinned at her, and then pressed kisses to both Venerio and Savia’s heads.

Savia nodded at him in sage approval, and leaned forward to press a sloppy, mushy kiss to his cheek. “Now put me down,” she said.

He laughed. “As the Lady commands.” He obliged, and readjusted his grip on Venerio, who had grabbed fistfuls of his shirt and was still pressing firmly against Tanzer. “All right, well, you’re all present and accounted for, which makes my job all the easier. Who’s ready for story time?”

His question was met with a chorus of cheers and enthusiastic air punching, and a brilliant warmth blossomed in his chest. He loved this.

word count:

1,597

Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:26 pm
starlitmind wrote a review...

HEY GUESS WHAT. TODAY IS INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY SO I DECIDED TO WRITE THIS REVIEW IN ALL CAPS. THIS WILL PROBABLY BE VERY OBNOXIOUS OOPS

OOH OKAY SO THERE'S NO POV. I WONDER WHO'S STORY WE ARE GOING TO BE READING

“This is hopeless.”

I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE ABOUT SOMETHING BAD, NOT ABOUT DANCING XD

He usually loved letting it down, but it was humid and hot and their beautiful, open porches with glistening, lacquered bamboo was doing nothing to stifle the heat. Thank the Sea for the shade under the canopy though.

I LOVE YOUR DESCRIPTION HERE! I ALSO THING "THANK THE SEA" IS A SMALL BUT INTERESTING DETAIL AS IT KINDA TELLS THE READER WHAT THESE PEOPLE BELIEVE IN

“But can’t I do something else more interesting? Like visit the sailors, or learn how to navigate a ship? That sounds like so much more fun! Imagine visiting the mainland!”

THIS GIVES ME EMBER VIBES

“Ada, come on. Just for the High Sun festival. It’s important we put our best foot forward for this ceremony.”

PUN INTENDED? CX

“Can you imagine being ruled by someone just because someone pretentious and arrogant had popped them out?”

OMG

OKAY SO THERE ARE A LOT OF CHARACTERS BEING INTRODUCED AND I'M HAVING A BIT OF TROUBLE KEEPING UP, BUT HEY, MAYBE THAT'S JUST ME

They could raucous and sweet and melodious and everything in between.

"THEY COULD HAVE"?

And all the food.

YES, THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART.

A few kids hand put painted handprints on the sign

I'M A LITTLE CONFUSED BY THIS SENTENCE. THE WORDING IS A BIT WERID TO ME

Nastagia and Palmerio,

I LOVE THEIR NAMES! NASTAGIA REMINDS ME OF NOSTALGIA

ALL OF THE KIDS ARE SO CUTE! IT'S SO PRECIOUS HOW THEY REACT TO TANZER BEING THERE

Who’s ready for story time?

I AM.

I LOVE THE LIGHTER ATMOSPHERE THIS CHAPTER HAS, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO THE LAST ONE. THE KIDS SCENE IS SO CUTE AND I COULD SEE IT BEING PLAYED OUT IN MY HEAD. I THINK YOU'RE REALLY GOOD AT PORTRAYING ALL KINDS OF EMOTIONS OF CHARACTERS. YOUR HAPPY AND LIGHTHEARTED SCENES GIVE OFF A SENSE OF SUNSHINE, AND YOUR SAD SCENES ARE EMOTIONAL AND POIGNANT. AND I'M GLAD WE GOT TO SEE A MORE PLAYFUL AND HAPPY CHAPTER.

I'M WONDERING WHICH ONE OF OUR MAIN CHARACTERS' KINGDOM/HOME THIS IS. I REALIZED I HAVEN'T BEEN EVEN THINKING OF THAT OT KEEPING UP WITH WHICH KINGDOM IS WHICH AND ALL THAT STUFF. I SHOULD PROBABLY GO BACK AND GET THAT STRAIGHT XD

I HOPE THIS WASN'T TOO ANNOYING

mellifera says...

ahaha international caps locks day xD I don't mind! it wasn't that annoying (but thank you for the warning haha)

YOUR HAPPY AND LIGHTHEARTED SCENES GIVE OFF A SENSE OF SUNSHINE, AND YOUR SAD SCENES ARE EMOTIONAL AND POIGNANT.

this is?? so beautiful?? and sweet?? I love this so much I cry omg :')

<3 <3 <3

And the halfway point for the day has been reached,

First Impression: Nice little detour from the main action again. It allows us the time to get properly worried about the four who are currently being dragged away to be sold.

Nice piece of description.

Judging from what I'm seeing this is that sea kingdom which was mentioned as being really hard to get to.

That's a fun little scene but it is a bit confusing to as whose POV this is meant to be. Or is this just a narrator?

This is another one of those scenes where a ton of characters are being introduced. Again its not a bad thing but it can be a bit confusing and hard to keep track of all these characters.

Okay was this a coincidence or did she utter a spell to make his hair come undone?

Another beautiful set of images there.

That's a lovely image once again.

That's a very touching scene for an orphanage.

Okay another lovely note to end things.

And that's it.

Overall: Well written scene. It conveys some very great emotions and does a good job of establishing a few personality traits in these new characters that we are meeting.

Only thing is that there are a bit too many characters here to easily keep track of. Anyway as always take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Ohhhh this made me so happy. The scene at the end with all the children excited to see Tanzer -- my heart melted. I love this so muuuuuuuuch <3 <3 <3

The first thing I noticed here was just how awesomely diverse the characters are in the area. Da and Papa and then there's Dove and then also Tanzer's family at the orphanage and just -- it's all so wonderful. It's a lot to juggle, but it was handled so naturally. And they are all so beautiful.

I wasn't sure who's home this was -- I'm guessing Rowan as I think Tanzer is probably their age. I wonder if there was a PoV switch in this chapter, but maybe it was just how it was introduced. I thought Adelaide was the MC here, but then it was very clearly Tanzer we were following. But yeah, knowing that it's Tanzer we're following, I think it must be Rowan's home.

Which GAH sounds so lovely. I want to see the festival, it sounds so much fun. And I'm so very intrigued by this Shepherd position and the process behind it and what's actually going to happen at the festival and I just LOVE FESTIVALS I WANT TO SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and I hope we do too 'cause not much happened here aside from character introductions generally, so I wonder if we ARE going to revisit this festival hmmmmm..

I also really wanted to see Da's ship just like Adelaide, which is probably where my PoV confusion started 'cause I was like YES LET'S SEE THE SHIP -- WHY ARE WE AT AN ORPHANAGE.

but the orphanage scene melted my heart and maybe it just touched me personally 'cause I miss seeing and hugging children and i just ;alsdjfalsdfalsjdf;aldsf

Also, this felt like a good time for a scene like this, considering the previous chapter just changed things for our main band of characters. It's a perfect dramatic cliffhanger and a perfect opportunity to let things sink in for a bit while we visit other characters. buT OKAY I NEED TO GO READ MORE NOW

The best books... are those that tell you what you know already.
— George Orwell, 1984