Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 13)

by mellifera

a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

[Isadora]

The weather was nice enough that Isadora wondered if the other four back home were running around the forest yet. It made the adults jittery, but the land was domesticated around the citadel and the village. It had never hurt anyone before, although there’d been one incident where Mishal had sworn a root had tried to grab his foot.

That hadn’t been long after Mishal started trying to be years older than he was, and Cassius had reverted as if in retaliation.

There was a river running parallel to the road that had been there for three days. A forest stretched beyond it. The Wilderlands were quiet, and so was Mishal beside her. He’d been quiet ever since their conversation of missing home and his birthday. She didn’t know if this was some mood because of that, or if he was bored.

He’d never admit that. He was still a child, and a veracious learner at that, and he’d been stuck on a horse for over a week. Still, he’d never complain, not even up to the point where he died of it.

She didn’t press, though she wanted to. He’d probably retreat, like he always did, and they’d get nowhere.

There was a light breeze that only moderated the sun beaming from above. The sound of the gears of the walking carriages clacked behind them, steam hissing and dissipating on the wind. She had shed her coat and gloves already, baring her arms to the warmth of the sun. Mishal was still wrapped in his jacket like it was the Moon’s Vigil again.

She wondered of the others. She hoped they were all right. Ember and Rowan could take care of themselves well enough, but Cassius was so sensitive and Alanna so young. It was already the longest she’d ever been away from any of them. She’d never been away from any of them.

A wish in exchange for absence of the ones loved the most. She sighed. There was no perfect scenario. She had, in truth, been sick of the citadel and seeing the same everything all the time.

She shifted in her saddle. Her thighs hurt. Her back and shoulders ached. She wished there were even a few comforts on the road, as there were back home. She missed hot baths.

Then she realised Margaretta had turned from her place at the front of the party and was straightening her horse to approach her and Mishal.

“I apologise that I have not come to speak with the two of you since we departed,” Margaretta said, pulling her horse around until she rode on Isadora’s left. “You must have questions, and I wanted to explain in more explicit detail the undertaking we have before us.”

She glanced at Mishal on her right. He nodded, the distant glaze over his eyes replaced by attentiveness. He had something to focus on now. She turned back to Margaretta.

Margaretta nodded when they gave her a silent invitation to continue. “You know we are heading towards the Castle in the Valley. We’re first heading to the village south of the ruins, where we’ll restock and collect our bearings. Then we’ll head north over the hills the block in the ruins. I’ve heard in the recent years, rocs have been making their nests in the area, and they’re not friendly in the slightest. We’ll have to be careful.”

“I do have a question, actually,” she said. She shifted her weight to better face Margaretta. “The three kingdoms, at least two of the them fell because they had lost their trueblooded rulers. What about the third?”

“Its people disappeared,” Margaretta said. “There are reports of some kind of slaughter, but certainly not high enough in number to encompass the whole city, and there isn’t a single report of what happened to the truebloods. It’s assumed that something happened to them, however, as the kingdom fell to ruin, and its people disappeared.” She shook her head. “Nobody really knows. The Canopy Kingdom was the last to fall, and the land quickly took over after. Nobody can even get close to the ruins. Nobody even knows if they’re still there.”

Rowan would be more productive at asking questions than she was. What had they said about it?

“I thought nobody’s gotten close to the other ruins either?” Mishal asked, brow bent in a thoughtful frown.

“Nobody has accessed any of the ruins, but the ones that fell in the jungle aren’t even visible from a distance. The Wilderlands remains a tightknit forest there, closing off everything inside from any who would try to access it. At least for the Valley Ruins and the Sundown Ruins, you can see the walls where the kingdoms once stood.”

She frowned. “If nobody can access the ruins, what makes you believe we can?”

Margaretta’s expression grew tense and she turned, staring ahead towards the horizon. Her features looked severe, even with the pale hue of her hair to frame and soften her face. “We have something the other expeditions do not,” was all she said in place of an explanation.

She exchanged a glance with Mishal. He looked unsettled, but he wouldn’t voice his own thoughts unless pressed. She nodded to herself. “That sounds like something you say to convince yourself that the outcome may be different than past attempts. How is there anything to distinguish us from those who have tried and failed in the past? Tried and failed and died?” She knew little about the ruins’ gruesome histories, but Margaretta stiffened at her words, and it was all the confirmation she needed.

“Just because your parents are not present does not mean you have free rein of however you choose to act. Mind your place. We do have something to set us apart from other expeditions. To go into this blindly would be foolish.” Margaretta tapped her horse and he began to move faster forward, back towards the front. “It is not your place to wonder how, it is your place to take in this opportunity. We record history, and in some instances, make it, but you will stay in line while we do so.” And then her horse trotted away.

She stared at the back of Margaretta’s head in complete surprise. She’d asked a question. And maybe she had pressed her luck, but to get so defensive?

Someone laughed behind her, and she turned to see one of the scholars who had some skill with a blade. Forestter. “Just wait until we’ve been on the road a few months,” he said, as if nothing had just happened. “We’ll all be ready to kill each other then.”

“Seems like Margaretta’s getting started early,” Mishal murmured under his breath. He looked as perturbed as she felt.

She nodded her agreement, and was uneasy about it the rest of the day.

word count:

1,141

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:46 am
Shady wrote a review...

BOOO, no one cares about Isa anymore, there's a DRAGON back at the Citadel. :P ;)

There was a river running parallel to the road that had been there for three days.

Oh wow lil baby river, just three days old :')

She wondered of the others.

This... I feel like this isn't a sentence xD Grammarly agrees that it should be "about" instead of "of" here.

Then we’ll head north over the hills the block in the ruins.

I honestly don't know what this sentence is trying to say?

“We have something the other expeditions do not,”

Yeah, STOLEN CHILDREN. Margaretta is giving me Bad Vibes TM.

~ ~ ~

Good chapter! I am still anxious to go back to Dragonlet! But this was nice... I like how we are ramping up in intensity. It is making me so uneasy to see all these smoke screens and misdirections and how dishonest Margaretta is being with Isadora and Mishal. Very interesting!

AND GUESS WHAT THIS MAKES 50 REVIEWS AW YIS BB!

~Shady 8)

mellifera says...

I don't have a lot in response to the actual review because it's Good Stuff (not that,, the ones I DO respond to are not?? lol), but VERY VERY LATE CONGRATULATIONS ON 50 REVIEWS FOR LAST MONTH!!! I never congratulated you!! D:

starlitmind wrote a review...

HEY!

Ooh, so we're back to the expedition dudes c:

The weather was nice enough that Isadora wondered if the other four back home were running around the forest yet.

If only she knew what was happening xD

I feel that you could combine this sentence with the previous paragraph; I don't see a reason for it to be by itself, but hey, that's completely up to you! <3

I'm a bit confused with this. Are the hills the block in the ruins? If so, it would help to put a comma after hills. If that's not what you meant, then oops. I don't really get it xD

“I do have a question, actually,” she said.

I think it would be helpful to say "Isadora" instead of "she" since it's been awhile since her name was introduced

The Canopy Kingdom was the last to fall, and the land quickly took over after.

The land took over? Or was the land taken over?

“We have something the other expeditions do not,” was all she said in place of an explanation.

WHAT IS IT. Is it Isadora and Mishal? :o

And maybe she had pressed her luck, but to get so defensive?

Margaretta does seem verrrrrrrrryy suspicious

“We’ll all be ready to kill each other then.”

“Seems like Margaretta’s getting started early,”

Oof

So the expedition just recently started, and tensions are pretty high already :c Mishal seems to be lost in his own thoughts, and Isadora is worrying about the others and Mishal. No one really seems to be enjoying theirselves; they seem so excited before the expedition started, and now... 😬

I love how we got some background information/historical context in this chapter. It was pretty nice to learn about how some of the ruins came about. And I'm glad that suspicions are starting to be aroused! It makes this all the more interesting :p

Overall, another lovely chapter, of course!! <3 I hope this helped! :D

Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:22 am

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever part of the world you're in)

One fourth of the way for the day,

First Impression: Exciting. My distrust of this Margaretta lady just doubled. I'm no longer sure if she is on the good side anymore. That was some serious defensiveness.

You should probably go with turning the horse around or some variation of that. Straightening just conveys a totally different image.

So they never questioned her and asked for detail up until later in this conversation?

I do have a question, actually,” she said. She shifted her weight to better face Margaretta. “The three kingdoms, at least two of the them fell because they had lost their trueblooded rulers. What about the third?”

So even the kingdoms are never mentioned in history?

This sounds like fairly common knowledge so why would these two not attempt to at least look this much up before coming along on this expedition?

That was such a 180. This lady is definitely hiding some inner motive.

Well that was an ominous prediction. Should be interesting to see what happens.

And that's it.

Overall: This chapter raises a lot of great questions. This plot is finally starting to get a couple of twists and that is exactly what it needed.

As always take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

starlitnight wrote a review...

honestly, why did i start this in the middle. i want to know the beginning! maybe i'll do that. i'm intrigued about literally everything in this story. there's so many things to find out! anyways sorry, this is really great!

the name reminded me of castle in the sky haha.

You know we are heading towards the Castle in the Valley.

just a small suggestion, for dialogue maybe you could put it in a different line? because if it's in the quotation marks it's hard to realize someone's talking and a little hard on the eyes too, in my opinion. like this paragraph for example, but just a suggestion!!

keep up the good work!! i hope i don't come off rude. T^T

~laynie <3

mellifera says...

thank you for your review!! <3

starlitnight says...

you're welcome!!

ohhhh Margaretta got a little feisty there. Poor Isadora.

That's actually, like, REALLY interesting to think about. And before I go into my chatter about the things, I can totally recognize that this was a last-minute "OOPS I NEED THIS INFO RIGHT NOW" so I TOTALLY believe this will get looked at later and changed dramatically. XD

THAT ASIDE NOW I want to talk about Margaretta because she is THE FOCUS HERE AND OMG

So she goes out of her way to ride with Isadora and Mishal, which I love. She's always felt so distant from the children that I can't help but feel that subtle fear of authority when it comes to Margaretta. So seeing her go out of her way to talk to these two was kinda freaky for me like OGOD WHAT DOES SHE WANT. Kinda like how the school principal starts talking to you even though you've never interacted before and you're like THIS CAN ONLY BE BAD.

Going back, it's kinda ironic how she says she'd explain in more explicit detail and then brushes off Isadora's question with such an upset. XD MY LIE DETECTOR IS WORKING. She was NOT planning to be explicit ALL ALONG!!

Actually, she just wasn't planning on going into the history of the ruins. That's what that was.

Also, knowing what I know, HOW INTERESTING that Margaretta mentions the biggest threat is the rocs, and not, like, A HAUNTING CURSE THAT KILLS EVERYONE WHO VISITS. //verysuspicious

It's fine though, Mishal and Isadora were pretty quick to point that one out.

SO THE THIRD KINGDOM did not fall because of the absence of its trueblood heir. It fell because MYSTERIOUS. No one knows, which leaves so much more possibility and unknown in what is going on! And to think the Wilderlands is basically the security protocol for these fallen kingdoms and what happened to them. So WHAT exactly are the Wilderlands?! Why are they protecting the ruins so much so that people DIE when they try to breach the area?? And why can truebloods (unbeknownst to Isadora and Mishal) get the whole party through?!

omg margaretta calm down. Just say no.

but like what is her PLAN ?!?? //dies

I like Forsetter. I like him a lot.

Actually, the way Isadora asks Margaretta "what makes you think we can?" is so direct. XD No wonder Margaretta got defensive, like how DARE you doubt me?? The reaction kinda makes sense now, for the kind of personality she probably has. She seems like someone who'd rather be followed without question, who would rather be trusted for her intelligence because she thinks reasonably and such. But her reaction to Isadora's question was STILL, like, dramatic. And considering they never see her react like that anyway, it would totally be a shock to her her behave like that.

HNNNNG I WANNA GO TO THE RUINSSSSSS

EDIT: AND OMG THE CHILDREN WANDER THE WILDERLANDS SO MUCH i am so glad they are trueblood ;_;

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert