Endless Descent [Part 4]

by Tenyo

Don't critique me! I'm being edited. If you want to read then ask my author to PM you when the updated version is up. Thankyou =]

She took a seat at the spare desk that already had a name card for her sitting on it, and a few books that had been put there the Friday before. Over the heads of the people that surrounded her she peered to see the rest of the class.

Over in one corner were the quiet kids, stealing occasional glances. By the dust board there were two boys drawing pictures and then banging the black board to make them disappear again. The class clown was standing on one of the desks leaning out the window to see which car had just screeched into the car park. Mostly the girls and boys stayed separate, except in one corner where they glanced over with a mild indifference, and one couple sat together, she'd assumed they were a couple by the way the red-haired girl wrapped her arm around the waist of the boy who sat on her desk.

It was almost like every other school but not quite. There was no kicking of peoples chairs or paper being thrown, no subtle digs or extra tension that tended to exist between the fractions.

It was the group in the corner, the girls that wore boots instead of kickers, and the boys who wore their collars undone. The ones that thought themselves to be more grown up than any adult would allow them to believe. She'd stick with them because they seemed to be more aware of who was looking at them rather than of who they were looking at themselves, and that's what she preferred. It was always that way.

Not that she was interested in high school politics, in fact it was never politics at all to her. It was more like a dance. The different groups and stereotypes would weave in and out of each other, in fast paced spins and the occasional crash. Not here though.

She could suppose that's because it was a small town. One persons uncle worked alongside another persons father, who routinely went over to the house of someone else's grandparent to help on the farm. In a society this close it was impractical to hold grudges, and perhaps that's why it all seemed to function so peacefully. Nothing was nobody's business, and so it wouldn't be long at all before news got out that she was living with Luci.

But like he said, it would be better to postpone that news a little.

There were four lessons a day. One from eight until ten, then ten thirty until twelve thirty, one thirty until three, and the last lesson was more like a club, ranging from half an hour to two hours depending on which ones were opted for.

She was glad that in two of those three lessons her seat was on the shadowed side of the classroom. She wouldn't get to daydream out of the window, but at least she wouldn't be in the blinding sun for much of the day.

Afterwards she went outside to wait by the gates until Luci came out, his hair ruffled and top buttons undone. He flicked his head and gestured forward. As soon as she knew her way home she'd be able to walk it on her own and be rid of his smart remarks, but the bus only ran in the mornings and she hadn't yet memorised the route.

'We're going to the library,' he said as she pulled up at his side.

Library? Library, in every place she had been to, was the word you tell parents when you're actually going to hang out with a boy, or someone else your parents wouldn't agree with. So why would he take her to the library?

She followed the stream of students down a long road that fell under shadow in the evening.

The library faced eastward, which meant any time after four o'clock the sun set its face on fire with a warm, yellow hue. Here, that social dance she was so accustomed to fell apart.

There was a set of steps leading up to the huge brown doors, and a grassy yard filled with statues; a lion with a weathered mane, a dragon with part of its wing broken, a seal lying with its belly up where a group of younger boys challenged each other to jump over. Every once in a while there would be an applause as someone crashed down onto the grassy earth.

Nerds and athletes mixed, girls and boys, older students sat in pairs or threes while the younger ones ogled them and their words of wisdom. Luci took off to join Valeo and some other boys who were play fighting, while the weathered stone lion watched with curiosity and amusement.

Survival and social dynamics could wait just a little longer. Mele let her feet lead her up the steps. The heavy wooden door opened without a sound, but once she was through the foyer and into the main library, the whole room sung.

The bookshelves were laid out in a maze, with winding bends leading to dead ends, cushions, chairs and beanbags scattered about. The children’s section was an alcove with cushions carpeting the floor at the end of A to Z bookshelves marked with bright coloured letters. The geography section had ornamental leaves and vines along the shelves, with cotton moss up along the sides of the wood.

The poetry section was at the end of a half curve, where two large armchairs sat on a floor covered in pages of old books that looked like they had been swept in with the wind. She meant just to look, but as soon as her fingers touched the soft, worn out spines of the paper backs she was pulled into them as the words started to wrap themselves around her.

It had been almost half an hour of staring at the same page, watching the letters curl and the words take shape, until she could almost taste them in her lips, before she realised she'd been in there too long already.

She closed the book and went to the front desk where nobody was there. Instead there was a large book with a list of names and dates inside. She picked up the blue pen and started to carefully write her name. After she signed it the ink faded straight into the paper.

'Returns,' was written on the edge of the pen. She did it again in red and the ink stuck firm. She smiled. Paper was too easily tampered with, in the city everything was done throguh computers, checked, double checked, security tagged. This little place seemed like a haven and for a second she let herself believe that it was. Just a second. In that brief, fleeting second she might have even wondered if she could get used to living her- but such thoughts need more than a second to really come into the imagination.

Outside more people had arrived, including some of the college students and a few stray kids who had wondered up to meet their siblings from primary school. Sammy called her over to sit and as the sun crept up the library walls and dusk started to settle the numbers dwindled until at last Luci stood over her and held out his both of his hands, one to her and one to Sammy.

'Shall we?'

For a second, subdued by the sunlight and the sweet evening mist, she could almost believe this gesture of kindness, but not enough to take it. Instead she stood up, dusted off the back of her skirt and the three started the journey back.

Sammy lived in a motel with seven siblings and her parents up by Bakers Hill. Luci waved to her eldest brother after walking her home and they set off the rest of the way home. It was a long stroll, but it had been a long day, the air was peaceful.

'Lan is a professional cook,' Luci said. Mele knew. Her mother had given her his life story in the first four hours of the journey (the rest of the three days was spent in silence). She listened anyway. That scarecrow-headed boy had a soft tone in his voice when he wasn't in a bad mood, and she kind of liked it. 'Sometimes he has to travel and stay out because big businesses want him to cater. Sometimes he works with Sammy's Dad too when there's an event going on. It means good food every day.'

'I guess staying here won't be so bad, as long as there's good food.'

He looked at her and they exchanged a brief, fleeting smile, before they each remembered their undying feud. 'Come on!' He said and charged forward. She ran after him at full pelt for a few seconds before she bent over coughing, the feeling again of smoke filling her chest. He jogged backwards to meet her and push her forward gently.

'You can do it, we're about half a minute away. Come on.' He put one arm around her back to push her forward and could feel the rattle and cough of the turmoil that still cursed her breath. 'We're almost there.'

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:31 pm
PiesAreSquared wrote a review...

Tenyo!!! I'm back! I order you to appreciate this. I took about four plus hours on it.

Alright first of all im going to give an overview of this piece. I think that you've done pretty well to develop the characters, but the main character feels like a little bit of a scatterbrain. I like scatterbrain a lot, being one myself, but it would solidify the character if you add more thoughts, or occurrences from which thoughts can be inferred.

Regarding plot, I'm not that good of a plotter, and I usually just write a story as it forms in my head. If I don't put it down immediately I lose it. (Read scatterbrain) I will pick on plot in greater detail after tearing your grammar apart.

She took a seat at the spare desk that already had a name card for her sitting on it, and a few books that had been put there the Friday before.

I think I should just ignore long sentences as a Tenyo TM, but I die every time. I have like five lives left. As far as my short memory can take me, your previous part had no description of the classroom, so this immediately feels like many short stories incidentally being placed together.

How am I to know it is "the" spare desk without first knowing that it is the only spare desk in the room. If you put "a" in place of the other article, it makes the story a lot more interesting.

Word choice. Oh I hate the choice of words in this sentence. "Put"? Put?? What in the name of sanity obsessed you to put put there? That is not worthy of you. Placed, yes. Delivered? Maybe. Stacked, so-so, I like stacked. Put? What were you even thinking, Tenny?? It's not wrong, it's just so lame.

I think I have ranted enough for one sentence to fill an entire review. :/

Over the heads of the people that surrounded her she peered to see the rest of the class.

"The people" is flat. Like a runner out of breath. Maybe "her new friends" or some variation of that.

Over in one corner were the quiet kids, stealing occasional glances.

How do we know which corner? Where is the door situated? To the front of the class? The back? Somewhere in between? Near the board? Far? What about the number of people who could fit into the room? Was it unusually small? Big? Squarish? Roundish? Ugly-ish?

Again, word choice. "Were" is a popped troop from clash of clan. No damage dealt, sorry. Make it smashing. "Sat" and add an adverb or something, if you like. You could also try something else, although no other words are coming to my thick skull right now.

Occasional glances...at? At the other kids, at the two boys? This last part can be used to link us to the next paragraph, and that is a really interesting point of writing which I myself have not been using much as of late.

By the dust board there were two boys drawing pictures and then banging the black board to make them disappear again.

I understand that there are no school uniforms in the states, not as widespread anyway. Where I'm from, everyone wears a uniform. But puhlease!! Describe them. Are they dirtying their clothing, faces or hands, with the chalk?

Once more, word choice. I know we'll both tire of me picking on word choice but I'll still do it. "Drawing"? That's so ordinary. It doesn't tell us anything at all about the quality of the drawings. "Painstakingly sketching"? That's a possibility. Stretch definitions! Use "scribbling"! I like this last one!

The class clown was standing on one of the desks leaning out the window to see which car had just screeched into the car park.

Four lives. It's not that this sentence is long that it gets to me. It's that it is so...awkward. If it wasn't awkward I might have simply fallen into a coma, but it was. The class clown is doing two separate but connected actions. Try to make them so, in two sentences.

Mostly the girls and boys stayed separate, except in one corner where they glanced over with a mild indifference, and one couple sat together, she'd assumed they were a couple by the way the red-haired girl wrapped her arm around the waist of the boy who sat on her desk.

Single sentence paragraph. Three lives. Y'know, even though I had nine lives at the start of the day, I was murdered four times before reviewing. That made five, and now I have three. Cats don't live long do we?

After splitting this up, consider that the one corner is another corner. Is it on the MC's left? Right?

Long sentences 2.0 which also incidentally is the number of lives I have. The first sentence is rather awkward, split it up or change the words. The second sentence has a missing apostrophe and an additional r to fractions. Or is that intentional?

It was the group in the corner, the girls that wore boots instead of kickers, and the boys who wore their collars undone. The ones that thought themselves to be more grown up than any adult would allow them to believe.

This is a third corner right? I would prefer if "who" is used instead of "that" when referring to humen. It makes for a better read. try using a different tense for this sentence. "It was the girls, wearing boots, and boys, with collars undone."

She'd stick with them because they seemed to be more aware of who was looking at them rather than of who they were looking at themselves, and that's what she preferred.

Awkward as Tyrion Lannister in the Sky Cells. I think this is an epic episode of sleep depravation. One life.

Not that she was interested in high school politics, in fact it was never politics at all to her.

I like this, but I would liker it if it were two sentence. Two is better than one.

She could suppose that's because it was a small town.

You switch tenses faster than Lady Gaga switches dresses at her concerts.

One persons uncle worked alongside another persons father, who routinely went over to the house of someone else's grandparent to help on the farm.

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! I need the flying comma brigade. Drop another life, lynchpin. I'm out.

The time you live on now, reviewer, is borrowed.

In a society this close it was impractical to hold grudges, and perhaps that's why it all seemed to function so peacefully.

Ground crew! Fix the commas.

Nothing was nobody's business, and so it wouldn't be long at all before news got out that she was living with Luci.

"At Luci's" is better than "with Luci" considering what is connoted by the latter. (Hope I spelled that right)

Reduce your word count. The main sentence could be written in a more concise manner. "That news could wait" is six words less.

This is a mess of a list. The method you use takes an alternating first term. One...then...one...then.... But! But! You have one thirty. Readers will ask what in the name of sanity is thirty o'clock.

Which ones? Make it more personal. Relate it to a choice of the student. Make sure to mention the student, or teacher.

She was glad that in two of those three lessons her seat was on the shadowed side of the classroom.
You just said four. "The first" replacing "those" is better.

Afterwards she went outside to wait by the gates until Luci came out, his hair ruffled and top buttons undone.

Wait. Wait. I thought we were just getting started on the day? Are the teachers and new people she's meeting so insignificant? What are they like? A whole day is missing from her life. Did she...shadedream? Daydream? Scribble on her paper? Or is the story good only when both she and Luci are in it?

Right after this i borrowed another life.

By or at?

Library, in every place she had been to, was the word you tell parents when you're actually going to hang out with a boy, or someone else your parents wouldn't agree with.

Live count: -3
Split up the part about getting the parents to know blar blar blar.

Shadow of what? Mystical energy?

Catch no **** as we say from where I come from. This makes no sense.

There was a set of steps leading up to the huge brown doors, and a grassy yard filled with statues;

Set? Why? What happened to flight?

Every once in a while there would be an applause as someone crashed down onto the grassy earth.

Omit the "an" it makes no additions to the story.

Nerds and athletes mixed, girls and boys, older students sat in pairs or threes while the younger ones ogled them and their words of wisdom.

Omit the before younger. It flows better.

while the weathered stone lion watched with curiosity and amusement.
you could combine the last two descriptors. Try "curious amusement"

Mele let her feet lead her up the steps.

To many "le" makes the story weird. Read it out loud.

The children’s section was an alcove with cushions carpeting the floor at the end of A to Z bookshelves marked with bright coloured letters.

The story flows much better if you placed "A to Z" at the end.

The geography section had ornamental leaves and vines along the shelves, with cotton moss up along the sides of the wood.

What up? This isn't a movie where you can have any random word for a title. Ran up? Danced up? What up?

What you did with the library, do with the classroom.

She picked up the blue pen and started to carefully write her name. After she signed it the ink faded straight into the paper.

I dislike this section. It doesn't fit in the slightest with the flow. Sure it adds to the story but it's like a bit of information we need to know hence is dumped on us.

Paper was too easily tampered with, in the city everything was done throguh computers, checked, double checked, security tagged.

My fourth borrowed life. Run this through a spellchecker.

With the wisp of the rain, the point of view has changed yet again! Imagine that! Such awesome switches. No warning! Full of surprises.

Yeah,..that might not be harsh enough but I'm not used to harsh words....and some will call it harsh...whutever.

Oh I forgot to mention...I think because its past midnight here lol....don't put information into (stuff) when you are writing a story. It breaks concentration. Use proper sentences, even if it means making another 500 words.

Keep writing!!!

Tenyo says...

Pftahaha! This made me laugh so much. I'll edit this one and try harder next time.

I'm laughing my head ff right now because I just realized my review is longer than your piece. Muhahahahahaha

Messenger says...

How do you do this Pie!

You don't wanna try, mess. These reviews take hours.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 am
Iggy wrote a review...

Hey Tenyo <3

A few minor nitpicks:

except in one corner where they glanced over with a mild indifference, and one couple sat together, she'd assumed they were a couple by the way

After "and one couple sat together" the comma should be turned into a semicolon.

There was no kicking of peoples chairs or paper being thrown,

People's*

Comma should be a semicolon.

One persons uncle worked alongside another persons father,

Person's*

Paper was too easily tampered with, in the city everything was done throguh computers,

Through* Also another comma splice.

Okay! So you do have a couple comma splices floating around. Get those fixed ASAP. :)

Moving on! Okay so wow, the imagery in this is totally awesome. I love seeing this entire chapter through Mele's eyes: how she perceives her fellow students and the social pyramid, how everyone is separated "as they should be" and how that pleases her... until we reach the library. Then everything, for some odd reason, is thrown out of wack and a jock's with a nerd and she's shocked xD that made me laugh.

The library was described so beautifully. *drools* Can I go there?! But seriously, amazing job with that. With all of it, really, but the library was so nicely focused on.

I like the fact that Luci and Mele are building a relationship, despite their desire to not build one xD they're like a couple of, well, teenagers. It's so cute. I wonder, have you told us yet how old they are? I'm thinking 16 or 17?

Overall, this is getting really good and I long to know what happened to Mele back in the city and why her mom tucked tail and ran without saying goodbye. Did something more than just a fire happen? I must know, so don't leave us in the dark for too long! I look forward to seeing more. :)

Tenyo says...

Mele is fourteen and Luci is almost fifteen, and the eight month difference puts him in the grade above her at school. Should I mention that sooner?

Iggy says...

Yes :)

"There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts."
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart