z

Young Writers Society



Truths and Trials [16+ Language]

by Tenyo


Call them as they are; the bastards and the beggars, and let them stand- as is the right of all men- to make their defence. Declare their crimes aloud in every corner of the city. Let the world carve their names into its heart, before we bury them beneath an unmarked grave where only the earth will weep for their tribulation. When the cripples crawl and the haunted howl, and the mute refuses to plead his case, and the deaf man refuses to listen- Then call them as they are; the bastards and the beggars, and declare aloud their crimes lest any man be mistaken.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:41 am
Hannah wrote a review...



Jeez, Tenyo. Even without the spaces, I think the line breaks are relatively clear. Unless you did some word play with the line breaks that you thought was particularly important, I think I can give you a pretty good review right now. And I want to say first that this is awesome and strong! You use really powerful concrete nouns: bastards, beggars, cripples, mute. You use really powerful verbs and adjectives, too: howl, declare, carve, plead. So, in short, you have very fitting diction!

Not only are the words excellent, but you've put them together well, too.
You are especially powerful when you say:

and the mute refuses to plead his case,
and the deaf man refuses to listen


Because this clues us in on the second meaning of the poem. Is this really a rail against bastards and beggars? Do we really think they should be called out on crimes and punished? No, no, and you give us tenderness from the earth to show us this, too.

There are some points at which you stumble, though. "Tribulation" for one, is a very distanced word. It's very haughty compared to the simple, strong words you use the rest of the time. I know it seems like it should be paired with "trials and tribulation", AND it also serves to open the second meaning of the poem, but the whole scene with the world does that effectively without such an ill-fitting word.

Well, there is the fact that the first sentence of the world part is a little confusing. The world is carving their names into its heart, but first we think of the world as the people, since these men seem to be on trial, and the world is the jury. I like the use of "world" over the choice of "earth", because it seems to be more living for that very reason, but maybe you can figure a way to untangle that?

Otherwise, this is pretty good. Does it accomplish what you want: moving the reader to some sympathy, some second thoughts, aligning the underdogs with the core of what the world really is?

PM me if you have any questions or comments, please!

Good luck and keep writing~




User avatar
88 Reviews


Points: 9590
Reviews: 88

Donate
Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 am
whitewolfpuppy wrote a review...



Hey there! I will be reviewing this piece of work today!

I like the poem, your word choice fits for this kind of poem. You did great! You have a great sentence structure as well as punctuation in the right place, as far as I can tell. I do have a few things I would like to say.

You only have one stanza. This poem looks to be more than one but as the reader can see it. It is only one, that is not a good thing. In my opinion, one big blob of writing does not appeal to a readers eyes. By adding space to the writing, you give the eyes less work to read. The spacing gives the eyes a rest so they can still focus.

Other than that, you are one good poet! I love the writing, you are full of potential! Keep on writing, I hope to read some more of this! Thank you so much for taking your time and reading this! Hope it helps friend!
~Whitewolfpuppy :3





"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"