z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language

Truths and Trials [16+]

by Tenyo


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language.

(I uploaded this a while back but the formatting got eaten.)

Call them as they are;
the bastards and the beggars,
and let them stand-
as is the right of all men-
to make their defence.

Declare their crimes aloud
in every corner of the city.
Let the world carve their names
into its heart, before we bury them
beneath an unmarked grave
where only the earth will weep
for their tribulation.

When the cripples crawl and the haunted howl,
and the mute refuses to plead his case,
and the deaf man refuses to listen-
Then call them as they are;
the bastards and the beggars,
and declare aloud their crimes
lest any man be mistaken.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
303 Reviews


Points: 11152
Reviews: 303

Donate
Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:56 pm
StoneHeart wrote a review...



Hey Tenyo! Black here for your requested review!

Okay, so first off I'm going to admit it. I'm impressed. Usually I just 'like' a piece, but this wasn't something that you can really 'like' . . . no, I'm impressed this time. Your imagery and wording are, ahem, exquisite, and your flow is extremely nice, if a little bit odd in places. Your theme is a bit out-there, something I might address, and rather hard to follow. But it does give me a really nice 'mysterious' feel, and the imagery, is, again, really good.

But really, your theme is really out there. I think it's probably the biggest problem with this piece actually. There are a couple places where your flow breaks up on itself, and yes as you noticed, your formatting is messy. There are also one or two wording glitches I'm going to mention! Here goes! (Remember though -it's up to you to take this advise or not. I'm not attacking you, just trying to help).

I'll start with your wording glitches (only one or so that I can see so far).

When the cripples crawl and the haunted howl,
and the mute refuses to plead his case,
and the deaf man refuses to listen-


Read these three lines out loud to me (remember to read them OUT LOUD). Do you here something wrong with them? What's wrong with it is you flip your 'plurals' and 'singulars' all over the place. You start the first line with a plural (cripples), then you go to another plural (haunted), then you go to a singular (mute -I understand why you use a singular on this one, but watch yourself. If you have to avoid a word for senses' sake, then do it!). And then you finalize the three lines with a REAL singular (deaf man).

Also, you might try to think of some different ending words for these three sentences. The 'and' repeated after 'case' throws your flow off as well, you should look into it. You might think about getting rid of the whole 'dead man' sentence (your flow would really be evened out a lot I think).

From the sounds of this piece I get the feeling that this isn't about some kind of justice, with a court, and any kind of defence. You need to watch using words just for the sake of it. It sounds like it's about some anonymous 'person/s' who is/ has done, something very wrong and is going to face some real, firm justice. Why the 'defence' part? They don't sound like they're going to be doing any defending.

Okay, so chances are that I'm just completely confused with the second part there . . . and the thing is I feel that that might well be the case. You need to watch how vague you are with your theme. If you're too vague (it's really easy to reach the 'out-there' point), then your readers won't be finding your theme and the purpose of your theme will be negated.

Watch it! Be careful! I think I've already told you what I get the feeling that this piece is about, and I really do like your wording and imagery (love the last stanza especially). You did a great job with this piece I assure you! I really enjoyed it! Watch your theme and wording . . .

And remember: KEEP WRITING! Do that and I guarantee you will improve!

Oh, yeah, and if you want to follow up on this review or get another then you know where to find me (also, if you'd like to be nice, rate this review for me (1-20) depending on how much it'd helped and what you'd wanted -This isn't my best review, but for fairness I have to ask anyway (I need practice on my poetry reviews)). Good luck!


~Black~




User avatar
98 Reviews


Points: 273
Reviews: 98

Donate
Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm
Rainn wrote a review...



Howdy! Since this is a shorter poem, I am going to dissect it stanza by stanza.
Let us get started, shall we?

"Call them as they are;
the bastards and the beggars,
and let them stand-
as is the right of all men-
to make their defence."

Very nice start the the poem. Strong and very real. I like the punctuation you used in this stanza, some thing other then commas and periods are a nice change. Watch your spelling though.
Note* "Defence" is not a word, "Defense" is the proper spelling.
---------
"Declare their crimes aloud
in every corner of the city.
Let the world carve their names
into its heart, before we bury them
beneath an unmarked grave
where only the earth will weep
for their tribulation."

Once again, this is very strong. I noticed you have a very long sentence in here. "Let the world carve their names into its heart, before we bury them beneath an unmarked grave where only the earth will weep for their tribulation."
I think it is a bit too long. I would try to edit it a bit. It makes it harder to read because it disrupts the flow. You should try to use more of that creative punctuation in this stanzas like you did in the first. Other than that, this is a very nice follow-up stanza.
-------
"When the cripples crawl and the haunted howl,
and the mute refuses to plead his case,
and the deaf man refuses to listen-
Then call them as they are;
the bastards and the beggars,
and declare aloud their crimes
lest any man be mistaken."

Yay! The punctuation! Love it. Nice imagery, and this stanza flows very well. I love how you ended it, very nice.

Overall, this is really a great poem. Nice imagery and overall flow, and you tell a great story here.

Wonderful job!

Keep it up,
~Rainn




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 258
Reviews: 10

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:37 pm
nicholas42 wrote a review...



Hi Tenyo,

First, I'd like to point out the strengths of the poem. The emotion is very strong as a result of your choice of words which is always good, and the imagery you have used is also very effective, "let the world carve their names into its heart, before we bury them beneath an unmarked grave." However, the content of the poem itself is confusing. In my opinion, the poem sits on the fence between satire and accusation. I'm not sure if you're saying these people require punishment or are unjustly receiving it. For example, you may elaborate on the crimes these people have committed in the second stanza. I believe you have the makings of a strong piece of poetry, but it needs a few additions and revisions so that the reader has a clear idea of exactly what you mean.

Thanks for sharing!

Nick




User avatar


Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:34 pm
Anmarie says...



this is really good it seems like someone are being crimed and they are marked as bastards and beggars!!!





i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni