The Swamp Witch: Chapter One

by Tenyo

Chapter One: The Bumble Bee Kite

Updated: Febuary 12th

It was the Bumble-Bee kite that started it all- though at the time I would have blamed Kara for being so disobedient. For two sisters only three years apart, there were never two as different as us. Back then we were still just kids.

Our village lay in between the stark moors and the clusters of farmland that were almost equally as barren. Our homes were small and low to the ground. Anything made of timber or stone that stood more than two storeys tall ended up battered and torn apart when the wind storms came.

The moors stretched a mile out, and marking the end of it was the sinister, grey mass that we knew as the Dark Forest. Beneath the shadows of the thick, dry canopy dwelt a race of creatures who delighted in all things wicked. Daddy said that nine tenths of all the evils in the world come from inside it.

It scared me to no ends as a child, when the moon was bright enough to see across the moors, I would peek out my window late at night and swear I could see the creatures sneaking through the tall, dry grass towards the village. In my worst nightmares I would hear creaks and noises around my room, and the Creatures would be standing there, tall and pale. I didn't know what they would do. Children don't understand as much as adults, and I always regarded the evils in the forest as things that marked in me the same anxiety I had when I knew that something was scaring Daddy. Children don't understand, but anything that scares a father is most definitely worth being afraid of.

Why they never came to our village was something I didn’t know at the time, and so it just seemed logical that as we stayed in our own village, they stayed in their forest. Of course, what just seems logical brings little comfort.

On the other side of the village where the farmlands, where we kept a few animals and grew crops. It was hard. The soil was lifeless and few of the plants grew anything that could be harvested. It would have been impossible for any one person to survive by their own means, and so we worked together and everybody looked out for each other - which meant that at least our community was much sturdier than our wind-battered houses.

Daddy taught me that you should always be brave, because the more you give into fear the less able you will be to face it. Everyone in our village was brave, maybe because we were taught to be brave from such a young age. Nobody was afraid of small spaces or spiders, or bedbugs or snakes.

It wasn't until I was older that I understood that the adults actually were afraid of the forest, in a way. They learned to put that fear aside. Spiders and small spaces were foolish things to be afraid of with nine tenths of all the worlds evils sitting on your doorstep.

Perhaps that's also why, as I realised later, learning to not be afraid was so crucial in our little culture. Fear has a way of getting inside your head.

As my sister and I stood on the outskirts of our village I looked across at the forest and felt a strange sense of nervousness make my stomach feel tight. I would have sworn that day that I could see something hovering by the edges, watching us. It was foolish though, since at such a distance we could barely see anything except the shadow.

Kara was a few metres ahead of me. Her flowered dress that inflated in the wind and yellow wellies made her the brightest thing on the moors, so she wasn’t hard to lose.

I moved to stand behind her, put my arms around her and held on to the strings of our new bumble-bee kite. I knew she wouldn’t blow away, not in this wind, but every time a strong enough gust came along it would drag her a few steps closer. Sometimes I even tricked myself into believing that it was the Shadow Creatures manipulating the winds, dragging her towards them a few steps at a time. We were still over half a mile away, but I couldn’t ignore it.

‘We should go in soon.’

‘I want to stay out here,’ Kara said. The kite jerked and snagged a few times. We had made it using sticks from the dry old trees of the moors, old scraps of rope that we had been collecting for months and a bright sheet of fabric that had cost all of our pocket money to buy. We made it as strong as we could, but against those winds the bright little kite didn’t stand much of a chance.

‘Bring the kite in then, the wind is too strong. It’s going to break.’

Her objection was silent, but obvious. She turned her head away from me and rolled the kite out further. I slapped her hands out of the way so hard that she let go, and started reeling the rope in as carefully as I could.

‘Stop it!’ She snapped.

‘Kara, it’s going to break!’

She tried to pull the stick and string from me. The kite pulled in the wind and jerked twice before the decayed string snapped half way up. For a few moments we stopped quarrelling and watched the kite toss and tumble in a high current of wind that shook it around like a bored dog with a new stick to destroy. It took a sudden turn and, at fifty miles per hour, soared towards the dark shadow of the forest. Kara made no haste in pelting forward after it.

I ran after her and snatched her up before she could get too much of a head start. At first she kicked wildly, then clung on to me in despair and watched the bright colours of the bumble bee kite crumble behind the thicket of trees.

‘My kite…’ She whimpered, and her voice softened to a sweet tone. I lowered her carefully to the floor. ‘Come on Ollie, let’s go get it.’

‘It’s gone into the Dark Forest.’

‘But… I want my kite back.’

‘ ‘I want’s never gets. Come on, we’ve got to go home now.’

‘No!’ She kicked away from me and looked towards the forest. She tried to make a break for it, but I had already anticipated the movement and grabbed her by the lace of her collar. ‘I want my kite!’

‘We can make a new one.’

‘I want the my kite!’ She whined, then started to cry.

‘You’re so spoilt, come on!’ I switched from her collar to her sleeve and started dragging her across the moor.

'Ollie, we can get the kite back you know,’ she said in the way she did when trying to sound grown up. ‘It hasn't gone too far in.'

'We're not allowed near the forest, you know that.'

'But it's not far, we can run in and out before the monsters even notice.'

'We not even supposed to go near it. They're already waiting for us to take a few steps too many.' I caught myself before saying too much that might scare her - and I didn’t want her going back and repeating to Daddy what I had said. Of course my thoughts were nonsense, but that didn’t stop me from listening hard, as if I actually could pick up on the difference between normal and spellbound wind.

'I want it back, I want it back!' She screeched suddenly. I clipped her over the ear, which made her press her lips tight together and puff her cheeks out like an enraged monkey.

'That's not temperament of a young lady, Kara. Stop it... If you keep pulling that face your eyeballs are going to pop out.'

She released the breath of air that she had been holding and scowled. I clipped her ear again.

'I didn't even say anything!' She whined.

'You were thinking it.'

She tucked her chin into her chest and stared at the ground, as if trying hard not to think about anything. Then she looked up at me and spoke with a sweet tone in her voice, the kind she used when she wanted extra jam in the scones we got from the baker.

'If we get it back, I'll do your chores for a week.'

'You struggle to do your own chores.'

'I'll do my own, and yours.'

'Kara,' I growled. I couldn't imagine how Daddy would react if he knew how disobedient she was, but she had a knack for getting away with anything around him.

'I'll even give you my desserts after dinner, and my pocket money.'

'Kara!' She flinched a little when I lost my temper. That's when I said the most hypocritical thing I was ever to say over the next few weeks. ‘You should know better than to go making deals with the devil.'

It was just an expression. It meant don't go offering things you may not be able to give, because the devil will make sure they're taken from you. ‘Why can’t you grow up and stop acting so foolish!’ I was only twelve at the time, but being Kara’s older sister and constant watch (since Daddy worked most days) I often thought myself to be older. Kara was nine, and acted like she was six.

After my outburst she broke down into an endless wail. I kept hold of her coat and dragged her the rest of the way home, and eventually she fell into a silent weeping during which the tears still streamed from her eyes.

We were a few steps from our home before she finally quietened. I knelt down on the rough, pebbled path of our garden and used my sleeve to wipe the tears and dust trails from her cheeks.

‘Brave face for Daddy, okay?’

She nodded in response and once I was sure she was calm we went inside. Daddy was sitting on the floor by the fire that flickered with the wind from the chimney, playing marble hop- his favourite game that we always played when he got a day off. We kicked off our wellies and crossed the room to sit by him.

‘I thought you took your kite.’ He said lightly.

Usually Kara and I would exchange glances in a silent argument as to whom was going to tell Daddy that we had done something wrong. This time she didn’t even look at me though, and I knew the cogs in her head were turning.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 pm
Jenthura wrote a review...

Hey there,! I’m glad I found this, it looks excellent.
First things first, a nitpick list.

Our tiny village lay in between the barren moors and the clusters of farmland that were almost as barren.

See what I’ve struck out? Try reading the sentence again, skipping over those parts. I’m sure it’ll sound better.
Another thing is your use of the word ‘between’. Use that only if you mean an object between two other objects. Here, you said ‘moors’ and ‘clusters’, so there are quite a few objects. Use ‘among’.
Also, I like your comparison of the farms and moors, but I think you worded it awkwardly. Try putting that bit in a completely new sentence, like this:
“Our tiny village lay among barren moors and clusters of farmland. It was hard to tell which was which.” Or, “…hard to tell the difference.” Or, “…hard to tell between the two.” Or…you get my drift. ;)

Our homes were small, built on what flat, hard land was available, and low to the ground.

Hard? These are moors, right? There shouldn’t be any hard land. That is, unless you live on a moor and know more about it than I do. :D

Anything made of timber or stone that stood more than two short stories tall ended up getting battered and torn apart when the wind storms
came.

“…Short stories tall…” just sounds weird. :D Try to reword that phrase, I know you had some good idea behind it. Maybe:
“Any and all two-story houses ended up as piles of junk, blown to nothing by the relentless wind storms.”
Also, I doubt the building material is any bit at all relative.

The moors stretched a mile out, and marking the end of it was the dark, grey mass that we knew as the Dark Forest.

Woah, wait, a mile out? What about the width? Is this one long strip of moorish stuff? And how could a forest be at the end of anything? I think you should mention that from the perspective of someone in Moor Village, the moor seemed to stretch on for a while, and then end in the Dark Forest.
However, even with that wording you have a problem. Does the Dark Forest take up an entire horizon?
I think you should draw a map of your story place and visualize what the views would be like from the village. I’m sure you could do it!

In my worst nightmares I would hear creeks and noises around my room, and the Creatures would be standing there, tall and pale.

Ranger already got this one, but I’ll say it again: a ‘creek’ is actually a nice thing to listen to while falling asleep. :D

On the other side of the village where the farmlands, where we kept a few animals and grew crops.

Did you mean, “…other side of the village, where the farmlands were, we kept…”? Plus, I’m pretty sure a village would be surrounded by their farmlands, as is common with village structure. (and I should I know, I live in one)

Mostly we harvested wheat and sunflower seeds, which got taken in a huge truck from the village to the town to be traded for other things.

‘Grew’, not ‘harvested’.
Also, up to this point, I was sure the setting was medieval, or at least before the Renaissance Period. I was thrown off a little by the mention of trucks here.
Also, I’m not so sure about location either. A little clarification?

We worked as a community, and everybody looked out for each other, which meant our community was much more sturdy than our houses.

Funny, but worded awkwardly. Try:
“Everybody looked out for each other, which made for a strong community. I only wished our houses could be as sturdy.”

Daddy taught me that you should always be brave, because the more you give into fear the less able you will be to face it.

Here, you say ‘be brave’, but the next thing you say is ‘more you give in to fear’. I don’t know why, but that doesn’t work for me. Try flipping the negative and positive sides, like this:
“…because the less you give into fear the more you are able to face it.”

Spiders and small spaces were foolish things to be afraid of with one tenth of all the worlds evils sitting on your doorstep.

I laughed aloud at this one, really, I did! However ‘worlds’ needs to be possessive, with an apostrophe; “world’s”.
Also, I think you could have had ‘sits on your doorstep’ instead of ‘sitting’, because it pulls the whole sentence into present tense.
“Spiders and small spaces are foolish things to be afraid of when one tenth of all the world’s evils sits on your doorstep.”

As we stood on the outskirts of our city I looked across at the forest and felt a strange sense of nervousness make my stomach tight.

You say ‘we’ without clarifying who ‘we’ is. And then, in the next sentence, you switch right over to ‘I’. Explain that Kara is with the MC first, then go on to use ‘we’.
Also, this sentence marks the beginning of the story and the end of the long descriptive introduction. You should put a little distance between the two. Maybe a double line or a row of asterisks.

I put my arms around her and held on to the strings of our new bumble-bee kite - which was when I regretted letting her leave her hair out when I tied mine up that morning. I knew she wouldn’t blow away, not in this wind, but every time a strong enough gust came along it would drag her a few steps closer. Sometimes I even tricked myself into believing that it was the Shadow Creatures manipulating the winds, pulling her towards them. We were still over half a mile away, but I couldn’t ignore it.

Okay, if someone was ‘a few metres’ ahead of you, then it would be impossible to put your arms around them. Try ‘a few feet’.
By the way, who is holding on to the kite? Here, you say Ollie is doing it, but shortly after this paragraph Kara is holding it.
Also, that bit about the hair being in or out…it confuses me. I would suggest cutting it. I am befuddled (like born2 was) by Ollie’s gender. I would consider ‘Ollie’ to be a male name as well, but the whole tying of the hair got in the way. I suppose Ollie is a girl, but you could clarify it a little more.
Another thing is the two places I have underlined. Replace the first with ‘Kara’ and the second with ‘the feeling’. The reason is that pronouns tend to get less affective the farther away they are from their appositives. ‘Kara’ is the appositive of ‘she’, you know what I mean?

‘I want to stay out here,’ Kara said. The kite jerked and snagged a few times.

“Snagged”? A kite can only snag on a tree or telephone wire. How is it ‘snagging’ on anything out there in the empty loneliness of the moor?

Hmm, big sis is breakin’ out with the aphorisms; watch out, Kara! :D
Seriously, though, you have an incorrect verb. It should be ‘get’, since the phrase, “I want’s” is singular.
“‘I want’s’ never get.” just sounds weird, though, so maybe you should say: “‘I want’s’ never get anything.” Also, the triple quotation mark is hard to work around. :?

The my?

I would expect Kara to be even more afraid of the forest than Ollie, but it’s your call.

'You were thinking it.'

Ha.

'You struggle to do your own chores.'

“You can’t even do your own chores.” Sounds better.

It meant don't go offering things you may not be able to give, because the devil will make sure they're taken from you. ‘Why can’t you grow up and stop acting so foolish!’

I think you should connect that phrase somehow, like this maybe: “It meant “Don't go offering things you may not be able to give”, because…”
Also, the dialogue here should start as a new paragraph.

I was only nine at the time, but being Kara’s older sister and constant watch (since Daddy worked most days) I often thought myself to be older.

Really? Nine? Some of her dialogue seems to come from a much older age; I was thinking Ollie was fifteen.
Also, ‘I was only nine at the time’ implies that Ollie is telling a past-tense story, but it does not flow so well with the rest of the story. I know it is all past-tense (She whined, I switched, I clipped, Daddy was sitting) but I think it is a different type of past-tense. Like, past-perfect, past-participle past-grammarmumbojumbo. Or something like that. :?
What I mean is this: ‘at the time’ implies that this is a ‘looking back’ kind of story. But since it will involve a lot of action (I know it will, what with the leering Dark Forest and all) you should have a tense that follows well through suspense and close ‘zoomed-in’ action.
You dig? I didn’t think so.

This time she didn’t even look at me though, and I knew the clogs in her head were turning.

Cut the ‘though’ and change ‘clogs’ to ‘cogs’

Alright, I think you did well with this first chapter, but I have one protest: the sister relationship. Ollie ‘clipped’ Kara on the ear. I’m not familiar with that particular with that noun, but I think it could be synonymous with ‘boxed’ am I correct? What my point is that Ollie seems to do a lot of hatin’ on Kara. Why the physical abuse? Is Ollie more afraid of the Dark forest than Moor Villagers generally are? Is she insecure because of this fear? That would explain why Kara was so eager to retrieve the kite.

On a final note, it took me a while to realize that 'wellies' was your name for wellington boots. Good thing I've read Paddington, or else it would have gone right over my head. :D

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:43 pm
MagnusBane wrote a review...

Hey Tenyo! Interesting story. It almost reminds me of the horror movie "The Village," with the unknown monsters lurking in the woods and the children forbidden to go near the forest.

There's some repetition here, which isn't the best way to begin a story. You could substitute one of the "barrens" for "empty" or some other synonym.

It scared me to no ends as a child, when the moon was bright enough to see across the moors, I would peek out my window late at night and swear I could see the creatures sneaking through the tall, dry grass towards the village.

This sentence is a run on. It would flow better if you put a period between "child" and "when" and broke it into two separate sentences.

As we stood on the outskirts of our city I looked across at the forest and felt a strange sense of nervousness make my stomach tight. I would have sworn that day that I could see something hovering by the edges, watching us.

The story jumped around a little here, and I found it a little confusing. One minute the main character was describing her village, and then suddenly she's standing at the edge of the city with her sister. It almost seems as though everything up to this point should be a prologue or something, and that this part should be a separate chapter. At the very least, you should have a better transition here so that the change between describing the town and starting the action is less abrupt.

I clipped her over the ear, which made her press her lips tight together and puff her cheeks out like a monkey enraged.

The bolded words here seem out of order. It would be less awkward if she was puffing her cheeks out like "an enraged monkey," not the other way around.

That's when I said the most hypocritical thing I was ever to say over the next few weeks. 'Don't go making deals with the devil!'

I love the foreshadowing you have here. :) This makes me a lot more curious to see where this story goes.

The main character is only nine? This surprised me I thought she was much older than that. Twelve or thirteen, at the very least.

Other than those little nitpicks, I thought it was really well written. The Dark Forest and the creatures inside of it are intriguing. It almost seems as though the adults know something that the children don't. And like Ranger said, I can't wait to see what happens if someone actually goes inside of it. I'm guessing that that's how the Swamp Witch is going to tie in somehow?

Your characters are very well developed, too. I'm guessing that the girls don't have a mother, and that the main character has been forced to take over that role for her sister. Kara seems like a total Daddy's girl, and a little manipulative. I love the sibling rivalry and the fight over the kite. It reminds me a lot of my relationship with my little sister when we were younger, and that makes the whole situation seem very realistic and easy to relate to.

I can't wait to see where this goes! Let me know if you post anymore chapters. :)

Magnus

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:47 pm
borntobeawriter wrote a review...

Hey there Tenyo!

Well, RH has already gone through the nitpicks.

What I wanted to say was how much your chapter pulled me in. At first, I groaned, thinking, "Not another story about a creery forest and evil creatures", but...I'm glad I kept reading. Either your story just isn't so creepy (;)) or you have true talent to pull your reader in. I think it's the latter.

I loved the village you depicted, and the fact that everyone isn't afraid of the small things. (spiders creep the hell out of it: can't be brave about it!).

What did confuse me, was the name Ollie. Here, where I live, Ollie is the diminutive form of OLiver. So, a boy? That tied his hair and said Daddy? Huh. Well, I know not it's a girl, and it's just me being me, but I was slightly confused.

The rest was great. Would you pm me when you post more?

Tanya :D

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:06 am
Ranger Hawk wrote a review...

Hey Tenyo, I'm here to review!

Okay, so this has a really good start. I like the setup of the forest and the unknown creatures that lurk in there; I can't wait 'til someone goes in (I'm guessing that's what's going to happen).

One thing I noticed is that you capitalized a lot of the words after dialogue -- generally, you don't do that. But since I'm not that good at explaining when you're supposed to or not, check this link for a quick recap of the proper punctuation rules. That's really the only recurring issue I noticed; your pacing and descriptions are great, and I can picture everything perfectly. So, onto the nitpicks!

Our tiny village lay in between the #FF0000 ">barren moors and the clusters of farmland that were almost as #FF0000 ">barren.

Bit repetitive here. I know you're trying to liken the two together, but it's too much in the same sentence.

In my worst nightmares I would hear #FF0000 ">creeks and noises around my room,

"Creaks." The other spelling is the little stream.

Spiders and small spaces were foolish things to be afraid of with #FF0000 ">one tenth of all the worlds evils sitting on your doorstep.

I thought you said "nine-tenths"?

As we stood on the outskirts of our city I looked across at the forest and felt a strange sense of nervousness make #FF0000 ">my stomach tight.

Either "my stomach feel tight" or "my stomach tighten." Sounds odd the other way, as if the stomach were actually, literally tightening up.

I put my arms around her and held on to the strings of our new bumble-bee kite - #FF0000 ">which was when I regretted letting her leave her hair out when I tied mine up that morning.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Why does Ollie regret it?

'I didn't even say anything!'

'You were thinking it.'

Wasn't sure at first who was speaking. Might want to just add a little dialogue tag to clear that up.

Okay, so that's all I have to say! Keep up the good work, and please let me know when you post more -- I honestly cannot keep track of new chapters unless I'm notified! :)

Perhaps the real rickroll was the friends we made along the way
— GengarIsBestBoy