Children with Stars in their Veins (Chapter 3.1)

by mellifera

a/n: hey, thanks for checking out Starry Veins! This is the novel I wrote for Round V of LMS, and it's still a first draft! While I don't discourage any feedback, I prefer not to receive feedback on grammar! I'm not polishing this draft up yet, so I'm not as concerned about editing. I am, of course, open to all feedback, but I ask that you keep this in consideration! Thanks <3

*

[Rowan]

There was a bird on the windowsill trilling softly, and Rowan was doing their hardest to remain quiet.

It was a goldfinch with feathers like chrysanthemum petals, hopping along the sill of the opened pane and tapping at the seeds scattered across the varnished wood block. They had sprinkled them there earlier, after they’d opened the window. By the now, the birds new where to land for the food.

Once the bird had remained for several minutes, Rowan resumed brushing their long, ebony hair. The brush caught on a few snarls, but they were made quick work of by Rowan’s deft fingers, pulling apart the knots a few strands at a time before running their fingers through the silken strands.

They set the brush down on the vanity and stared at the reflection in the mirror as if it would show them which hairstyle to settle on for the day. The mirror, with fog-like stains bordering the silvery surface, offered them no answers.

Someone knocked on the door then. The clock hanging on their wall, of brass and bone, ticked quietly as they turned to glance at it. Quarter past eight. Ma was out to work at the fields, so it could’ve been anyone.

“Enter,” Rowan called.

In the mirror, they could see as the door opened and Mishal stepped in. He glanced over to them immediately, dressed and ready for the day with a deep red vest and close-fitting black breeches.

The bird trilled sharply and took flight, veering sharply to the left and disappearing from view. Mishal frowned at the place it had been.

“Bun or braid?” Rowan asked. They were sorry to see the bird leave, but at least it had gotten some of the seeds.

Mishal turned his frown on them. “What? I—” He blinked. “Bun, I guess? It’ll keep it out of the way for potions. That’s why I’m here, by the way. Potions lessons start in five minutes.”

Oh. Potions. Right. “I’ll be ready in a moment,” they said, pulling the length of their hair back and twisting it at the back of their skull. “I was helping mum in the greenhouse. Had to take a bath.”

“It takes ten minutes to get there,” Mishal pointed out, shifting his weight from one foot to the other.

They twisted a tie around the tangle of hair pulled back. Strands fell from the mass and tickled the base of their neck. They stood from their chair and grabbed a pair of green, shimmering earrings, long and pointed with gold hooks.

“You’ll survive if we’re late,” Rowan said, pointedly making no moves to be hasty in putting the earrings in.

Though Mishal looked mildly irritated, the way one would look who had just gotten a sliver in their finger, he said nothing. He directed his attention towards the dark oaken bookshelves on the far-right wall to him.

He would usually say something about being late. He was withholding today, for some reason. Rowan picked up the flowing, silvery tunic resting on the back of their vanity seat and shrugged it on.

They gave Mishal a moment to make some comment on their collection of oddities lining their bookshelves. Usually something along the lines of, “You need to stop collecting every bone you find,” to which they would reply with, “What are you going to do to stop me?” Mishal never had an answer to that question, and so they would go about their business as if the conversation hadn’t happened.

But he said nothing. Rowan cleared their throat and he turned, nodding when they gestured towards the door.

As they left Rowan’s room and the main living space of their quarters, a thick silence blanketed them. Mishal’s shoulders were tense and he was evading Rowan’s gaze.

When they stepped out into the hall, Mishal hesitated to continue.

Then, “Are you mad at me?”

They tilted their head as Mishal finally glanced over to look at them. “What do you mean?”

Mishal began down the hall, moving away from the door they’d left with the copper plague that read Eluna and Rowan on the front. His boots scuffed against the fading wooden flooring.

“About the expedition,” he said. “You seemed… upset.”

Rowan chewed the inside of their mouth and frown, stomach squirming. “I am, but not at you.” They glanced down and traced the purple laces of their shoes. “The ruins have been a mystery for… well, ever. The three fallen kingdoms are the only ones that hold any clues for questions everyone has about our history. Why is trueblood so important? Not a single person in this country could answer that question, but everyone says it’s the reason for their downfall. And what about the ruins at the centre of the land? What does anyone know about them?”

Mishal wasn’t going to be able to answer that, and they knew it. Nobody knew where the centre ruins had come from, or what they meant. Expeditions that went there never came back—not that nicer sentiments could be said of the other ruins—and anyone who had ever gotten close claimed it was haunted. Cursed. It varied.

“I’m not mad at you,” Rowan said, gently reaching for Mishal’s arm to halt him. “Seeing the ruins is… incredible. It’s a dream. Promise me that it will mean something to you later, that you’ll put your heart into this expedition for me.”

The sconces flickered on the walls, burning brighter and hissing softly into the atmosphere. Mishal looked down at them, expression softening considerably.

“I’m sorry you aren’t allowed to come,” he said. “From what the Guildmaster said, I’m not sure she even wanted me to go. I think it was so that Isadora didn’t go alone.”

Rowan let go of his arm. “And you’ll be careful? The ruins are dangerous. Ember was right, you know, people say their haunted.”

Before he could continue, Mishal shook his head and set off again. “Haunted by what? It’s superstitious. You can’t believe that there’s… what, spirits?”

“In my opinion, there is no benefit in discrediting anything. I won’t put weight on what might be there, but people have disappeared in those ruins. It’s not superstitious to consider all possibilities.” Rowan turned before Mishal to the staircase that spiralled downwards, the walls and pillar in the centre all cobbled, smooth stone.

The passage was darker than the hallways, no lights lining the walls. There were windows overlooking the forests to the east, but they were scattered.

Mishal said nothing as he followed them. Rowan wasn’t sure if it was because he had no argument, or he was actually considering what they had said.

Rowan paused at the bottom of the staircase that opened into the main floor’s hall as Mishal finished descending.

“Do you even want to go?” they asked, pulling the open folds of their tunic tighter to their chest. New Bloom might have been upon them, but the cold hadn’t left the air, or the citadel. Not by a long shot.

“The Guildmaster asked me, and I’m not going to let Isadora go alone,” Mishal replied. He turned right down the hall. The alchemy lab was closer towards the front of the citadel. Rowan could walk to it from anywhere in their sleep.

They folded their arms together as they followed. “Calor ad mortale vasa pretiosa,” they muttered. Warmth spread over their skin, sinking deep into flesh and wrapping around their bones. “That’s not what I asked.”

Rowan extended their hand, the cold and stagnant air no longer nipping at their fingers. Mishal glanced back, and then took their hand. They mumbled the same spell again, and the line of Mishal’s shoulders relaxed as he let out an inaudible sigh.

word count:

1,290

Riverlight wrote a review...

Back yet again!

What I Like
The world-building in this chapter was great! I cannot wait to learn more about your magic system here, as it looks incredibly interesting and extremely different!

What I Dislike

I was helping mum in the greenhouse.

Capitalize "Mum"

I think that Rowan is gender queer, but I'm not 100% sure, so clarification would be nice.

Have a nice [*insert time of day here*]!!!

mellifera says...

Rowan is genderqueer, yes!

thank you for your reviews, I really appreciate them!! I hope you have a nice day as well <3

Riverlight says...

<3

Sorry about it's length, practice ACTs this week XD

mellifera says...

aw, that's fine! don't burn yourself out <3 good luck!

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:52 am
Shady wrote a review...

Scribs!

I'm only on the 6th part of this, and I'm already out of openings! Let's get started...

Rowan Rowan Rowan rowan rowanrowanrowan

Can I just say how much I love? the different personas you have for each perspective. I might be imagining things, but I feel like you are using far more flowery prose for this point of view, and I'm digging it. Rowan seems far more contemplative and calm than the others, so these descriptions seem right on point with their personality, and are a really subtle but excellent addition to build up their POV.

Rowan cleared their throat and he turned, nodding when they gestured towards the door.

Pronouns are also confusing in this sentence.

“The Guildmaster asked me, and I’m not going to let Isadora go alone,” Mishal replied

That's! Not! An! Answer!

“That’s not what I asked.”

No, it's not! Don't let him get off that easy!

~ ~ ~

I liked this chapter! Rowan gives me such a peaceful? vibe. Very thoughtful and contemplative. It's kind of refreshing after Mishal's cockiness and Cassius's brattiness. I like how distinct their personality is! I want them to go on the quest too

The biggest critique I have of this chapter is that it definitely needs cleaned up a bit. There are quite a few grammatical and spelling errors (such as their when you meant there, etc.) but that's only to be expected from an LMS novel lol. I just recommend when you go back to revise this, you should tighten up your grammar and spelling standards :)

Excited to read on!

Keep writing and Happy RevMo!

~Shady

Please enjoy this banner by @Vilnius!

mellifera says...

starting and ending reviews is the bane of my existence

!! I did!! I try to include as much as their voices as possible I think it's much clearer later?? cassius and ori's I think is the most developed in these earlier chapters because I Knew Cassius really well and Ori came so naturally, but I struggle with Isa's through the whole thing >.< I don't know why she's so hard

The biggest critique I have of this chapter is that it definitely needs cleaned up a bit.

IT ONLY GETS WORSE FROM HERE there was a point I stopped caring xD but!! I will keep this in mind!! plus in a second draft, I'd def actually polish it up rather than *writes chapter* "bam I'm DONE" but my fingers are notorious for doing whatever they want.

THANK YOU SHADY <3333 hope you get used to hearing this lol

Shady says...

Ahaha I'm so glad they're helpful! I kinda feel like I just scream about things, but I'm having a good time reading it! c:

starlitmind wrote a review...

Hi hi, I'm back for the next chapter! I'm loving the story so far, so let's just get right into this! :D

Ooh, so we get to see Rowan's perspective now. This should be pretty interesting! I love your descriptions throughput the piece by the way, which I mention a lot because I just really love your descriptions. They give a really magical feel, which fits with your novel!

It was a goldfinch with feathers like chrysanthemum petals, hopping along the sill of the opened pane and tapping at the seeds scattered across the varnished wood block.

Ah, this description is so lovely.

By the now, the birds new where to land for the food.

"new" should be "knew"

“I was helping mum in the greenhouse. Had to take a bath.”

Since "mum" is being used as a name, it should be capitalized.

He directed his attention towards the dark oaken bookshelves on the far-right wall to him.

He would usually say something about being late. He was withholding today, for some reason.

You started three sentences in a row with "He." It isn't that big of a deal, but it'd be nice to change up the sentence structure! :) This would prevent the reader from getting bored.

Then, “Are you mad at me?”

I personally feel this would work better as one paragraph.

Aw! That's sweet <3

Ember was right, you know, people say their haunted.”

"their" should be "they're"

Ooh, I like that we got to see a bit more of the magic here, instead of it being just playful or used as tricks. So here we get to see more of the potential of magic c:

And that's it! This chapter was really nice in getting to see more of Rowan. They seem like such an interesting character, and also very gentle and sweet. I like the way you described their room and the things they collected. I think you are really good at characterization, and that's what makes this story really enjoyable. I'm excited to read the next part! The ruins seem very mysterious and dangerous, so I'm sure there will be exciting parts up ahead. I hope this helped! :D

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever it is in your part of the world),

Continuing from where I left off,

First Impression: Great little scene showing these two characters. They both seem to share a pretty good friendship and nice nod to the magic too. Was that Latin you used for the spell?

Anyways getting on with it,

That's a great description.

I think you meant snags

Well he arrived pretty late.

Why would only Mishal survive if their late. I think it would be better to say We'll

I like how you point out Mishal's usual routine then point out the oddities. Shows how well Rowan knows him.

So far we're building a very dangerous picture for these ruins.

Okay this is interesting because the impression I got in the earlier chapter was that Mishal was pretty excited to go, like even more than Isadora.

Nice demonstration of the magic system. Sounds like it will be interesting.

And that's it.

Overall: So far you've built some great characters and it looks like we have some exciting chapters ahead for when they visit the ruins. So far really good.

As always take only what you think is useful and forget the rest.

Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Okay, I love seeing this cameraderie between Mishal and Rowan. It's adorable and beautiful, and they clearly know each other pretty dang well. Rowan can see right through Mishal, who doesn't even want to go, and we learn how much Rowan knows about the ruins.

In fact, I think one of the best parts of this segment is learning just how unfair it is that Rowan doesn't get to go but Mishal does. Mishal clearly doesn't even want to go, he's just going because he doesn't want his friend to go alone. Rowan, however, would be full-blown geek over this and know so much more useful information about the ruins they're visiting. Plus, they would be able to piece together the mystery faster as a result of having all that knowledge about them. WHY DOESN'T ROWAN GET TO GOOOOOO //CRY

Also, Rowan has a great sense of style.

I was impressed Mishal wasn't in much of a hurry to get t oclass, but that's either because 1) he accepted that there was no rushing Rowan and knew it was pointless to worry or 2) it's LMS and this was a quick bandaid on some forgotten plot piece anyway SO IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL EITHER WAY. But I know I'd have been far more anxious about being late! XD

I love that we get to see a little magic used here, primarily used more maturely than Cassius' antics. I don't know if you've developed this language or if it's from a different language I'm unfamiliar with, but it looks friggin cool, so. It's pretty lengthy, so the magical language used is very descriptive. It must require very specific wording to get the correct result the caster is looking for. It's intriguing and I look forward to seeing even more!

I don't have much more to add, but I think it's very cool and spooky to think that Mishal and Isadora will be venturing to ruins that are thought to be haunted or cursed. That begs the question what kind of scary things will they run into? Clearly, they will be facing situations that could end badly for them, so the adventure will be exciting! And scary! And if this is all true, why is the Guildmaster sending two young mages over there? What is it about Isadora that the Guildmaster is interested in? And what will they learn from the ruins about their history? I wonder if it will be life-altering information!

IT'S SO INTRIGUING.

mellifera says...

I was impressed Mishal wasn't in much of a hurry to get t oclass, but that's either because 1) he accepted that there was no rushing Rowan and knew it was pointless to worry or 2) it's LMS and this was a quick bandaid on some forgotten plot piece anyway SO IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL EITHER WAY.

KINDA 1? he knew Rowan was upset so he didn't want to push them. if they weren't unhappy about the expedition Mishal ABSOLUTELY would have been like, shoving them down the hallway to get there as fast as possible xD

oh haha I'm flattered you think I have the mental power to create a new language but it's actually latin lol and ahh I'm really glad you're picking all this up!! I'm doing something right :')

love your reviews thank you so much!! *sprinkles with confetti*

JabberHut says...

See, that kinda made sense for Mishal to just be like HNNNG ROWAN IS BEING ROWAN but I see it's more like Mishal is being respectful of Rowan's feelings. That's actually really sweet of him and a good character trait to make note of.

omg I was even thinking it could possibly be Latin but then I was like IF I'M WRONG THO??? I recognized the word 'mortal' in there and almost attempted to like half-translate it, but I was too concerned how silly I would look since I was just guessing out of context. XD

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:17 pm
EverLight wrote a review...

EverLight here with a review. This review is not intended to offend or hurt you or make your novel or poem seem bad, but be warned- you may feel offended anyway.

First Impression
This is pretty neat. I like the idea here. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Nitpicks
But it's time to review.

First off this comma here could be removed-

They had sprinkled them there earlier, after they’d opened the window.

The comma by earlier needs to be removed. Or I suggest writing that this way-

They had sprinkled them there after they'd opened the window

It's up to you.

Here, you misspelled a word-

New should be spelled knew.

And in this sentence is another misspelled word-
Mishal began down the hall, moving away from the door they’d left with the copper plague that read Eluna and Rowan on the front.

Plague needs to be spelled Plaque. Like plague but instead of a g it has a q.

Again, another misspelled word-
And what about the ruins at the centre of the land? What does anyone know about them?”

It's not spelled centre-it's spelled center. You misspelled the word center in some other place, but you know the proper spelling now.

Style & Flow
I have nothing to say in this area.
Nicely done.
EverLight Out

mellifera says...

Thank you for the review!

Centre is actually correct! I spell in UK English, not US English. It's like theatre vs. theatre, or colour vs. color.

The other typos are just goofs on my end, and I thank you for catching them! :P

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown