12+

pretty flowers

by Charm

her lips are dripping with
sweet pollen.
she is alluring when she
doesn’t want to be.

and her mind is a field
of begonias,
but that’s not what
bees see.

her peony heart was
taught to hate her reflection,
but still keep her appearance
a delicate Queen Anne’s lace.

pretty flowers,
with sweetpea tears
and lavender kisses
pretty, pretty flowers.

but flowers aren’t meant
to despise their petals.
she has an anemone mind
but a gladiolus spirit.

Flower Meanings:
begonia means deep thoughts
peony means healing
Queen Anne's Lace means delicate femininity
sweetpea means shyness
lavender means distrust
anemone means fragile
gladiolus means strength of character

Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:26 am
pastelqueen wrote a review...

Hello dear!

This poem is exteremley beautiful. Even without a traditional rhyme scheme, it still seems so lyrical. The subject of flower meanings is so incredibley complex that it could be a language all in its own. You weave that language so fluidly into the normal english of the story. I feel as though you but a ton of research and thought into the meanings of each flower you incorperated into the poem.

I feel as though my one probelm is that it seems to start in the middle of a poem. I don't know if that makes sense, but it just doesn't feel like a beginning stanza, but one you'd find in the middle. It is still a really amazingly constructed line, it jusy feels rather rushed.

But again that is only one criticism I seem to have for this and I think that's great. I'm so glad you decided to share this with us. I cannot wait to read more of your work later. Please keep writing!

Hi, Anne,

What an intriguing concept. I know I've always found a little interest in knowing the "meaning" of flowers or even the particular color of flowers, so I feel like I'm giving the right one. That said, I -- personally, keep in mind! maybe not everyone feels the same way -- feel that this poem goes too far with it. Especially with such a gorgeous opening stanza that doesn't have anything to do with the flower meanings.

And I'll explain a bit to support my side: I can't read through this poem without the translation you've included at the bottom. Because I don't know what it means by "a field of begonias". At first, I take begonia as a general flower, but then you keep naming different flowers and with the meanings translated at the bottom, I realize they're supposed to describe specific things rather than general flower things. This means that each time I come across another flower name, I'm taken out of the flow of the poem to check the meaning, and I end up feeling like I'm cross checking a dictionary rather than reading a poem. None of the joy ends up sticking with me.

Still, the poem that is free of this translation fest is really intriguing -- "flowers aren't meant/ to despise their petals". You have an idea that I feel is fresh and intriguing, and I'd like to see a more accessible poem written about it!

I hope this review can be helpful to you in some way. Please reply or message me if you have any questions or comments. Thanks for sharing,

Hannah

herbgirl wrote a review...

Hi! herbgirl for a review here!
To start off, this poem was a good idea. The way you compared this girl to flowers, while incorporating the flower "meanings" was very creative, and I liked it. I feel as though girls are often compared to flowers, but never in a way that praises more than their appearance. For this effort towards a different comparison, I commend you.
However, while I liked the idea, I feel it could have been executed better. I noticed that you had at least one flower in each stanza, except the first one. While I did really like the first stanza, it pulled me in, I think it would be better and add more fluidity to the poem if this stanza also had a flower in it, perhaps something to do with the alluring bit.
I really liked the second stanza, much like the first one. It took me a second to understand, but after rereading it I got that you were trying to say she thought deeply, but those after didn't care. I thought that was very well done!
The third stanza, however, I don't really understand. If she has a healing heart, why would it be hating her reflection? Perhaps this is just a thing that bothers me, and makes sense to other people, but I thought this was rather unclear. I liked the fourth stanza, it was very poetic. No
criticisms there.
I thought the last stanza was an interesting sentiment. It really ties the poem together, in my opinion, although I would suggest possibly adding one final stanza to tie in the first two stanzas, about others attraction to her. Still, very nice and poetic.
Anyways, I really liked this poem! It was well thought out and poetic, with good imagery.
Thanks for the read,
herbgirl

Teach a man to fish, he eats for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, you eat for a day. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.
— Ron Swanson (Parks and Rec)