indecisive

by Charm

doubt, guilt, sadness, anger
when did this start?
when will it end?
who am I to say what's right
and what's wrong?

Oh, I am lost
indecisive

no matter what I write
nothing comes out right

Oh, I'm
filled with pain

oh, oh, ah, oh

I don't feel strong
so don't tell me I am

oh, oh, oh, ah
oh, oh, ah

(humming)

TheSilverFox wrote a review...

Good evening, Alice! Courtesy of Review Day and RevMo (which have actually given me the energy to review stories for a change), I thought I should provide some of my thoughts and critiques about your latest set of lyrics. So, let's begin!

Okay, as a song, this actually works fairly well. You have the emotion, in the form of a sense of dismay and low self-esteem, which is communicated vividly across the piece. It represents a common theme of sadness and lack of confidence in ones self, and is executed decently through your usage of line separations, the humming, and the main lyrics themselves. I can envision that main character's sadness and emotional troubles in this piece, especially as it pertains to their writing skills and pain thereof. It's a common struggle among writers, and certainly something that I and many of the people around me can agree with. I joined this site as a complete and total newbie, and my first few poems and stories were generally struck down. Honestly more of my fault than anything else - as the narrator might agree with, I had a hard time properly expressing my thoughts and feelings in an evocative fashion. In this fashion, it is clear who your audience is, and I think you did a decent job of attracting their attention and providing them a situation they can relate to.

However, I agree with Georgia - it's a good piece, but generalized. I want to know a little more about the narrator and their live, so that I might be more capable of relating to them as an individual. What happened? What has the narrator gone through? How have they struggled and felt guilt and sadness? What are they like, and how has this created such emotions? I get the impression that the narrator, in this case, might be you, telling a piece of your own story and discussing what has happened in recent times. With that in mind, I'd definitely suggest expanding upon this story and making it longer, while also expanding upon the lyrics you've already incorporated. I mean, "I don't feel strong/so don't tell me I am," seems marginally disconnected from the rest of the piece. It communicates a different feeling than the others, and also adds in a character by reference who has had no other significance in this poem. So, how does this relate to the rest of the lyrics? Why should it matter here? That's what I'm interested in.

Otherwise, I think that this would do lovely with some kind of a chorus and repetition going on, particularly when it came to the humming. I dunno, I feel like one voice just wouldn't be enough to convey all the feelings and emotions here - having a chorus while the main singer echoes their lines sounds like a nicer option. Too, I also think an ellipses (...) at the end of lost, and then an emphasis on indecisive, would provide an excellent jump into the main chorus of the lyrics, after you provide your vivid opening. That main chorus could itself be the next four lines, and perhaps others, as you wish. In general, I like this song and the emotions that it conveys, but I personally think it could be expanded upon and made into a greater and larger composition that more conveys an average lyrical style, given you a larger amount of room to experiment with meter and vivid imagery.

Yet, all in all, I like this poem! Great job! Your sense of emotional development and experimentation are both fantastic, and this turned out to be a good set of lyrics. I love the feelings this conveys, and how you used elements like the line breaks and the humming to emphasize it. This seems to be a fantastic basis upon which you can build larger and even more evocative songs, and I'm impressed. Well done!

Charm says...

Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:08 am
GeorgiaMasonIII wrote a review...

Hey there!

I would like to see more detail from this. Most of the song is heartfelt, which is good, but a bit on the general side, which is not so good. In my opinion, the key to a song connecting with its audience is personal details from the singer. My favorite part of this song is "I don't feel strong, so don't tell me I am" because that feels the most personal.

I would also like to see a little bit more...structure, I guess is the way I would put it. You don't have to follow the ~standard verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus format, but I'm not sure if this is verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge or a collection of verses. If I were you, I would flesh out the verse containing "no matter what I write/nothing comes out right" with more details and make sure it has the same number of syllables as the first verse, or that the two verses have the same meter. I look forward to seeing where you take this piece!

Surround yourself with people who are serious about being writers, and who will tell you, ‘Hey—you can do better than this.’ Who will be critical of your work, but also supportive. And who will not be competitive in a negative way.
— Isabel Quintero