z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Veil - Chapter 23

by megsug


Dalki wrung her hands. She had lived through trying times most of her live, but her nerves were pulled tight, vibrating with the strain of the past few hours. She understood Lord Smug’s paranoia when she had donned a maid’s garments, supplied by Mr. Surly as Lord Smug outlined the plan.

Getting into the palace was surprisingly easily if one knew where the back door was. The army of staff a palace needed for everyday maintenance made it easy for one more person to slip by. After a heart pounding forty-five minutes where she had to weave her way around the palace after taking the wrong turn, she had found the princess and showed her the note Lord Smug had given her.

A glance at the girl had made Dalki wonder if Lord Smug was up to anything evil. The blonde’s fair face had been splotchy with passion and her eyes still wet with tears. There had been a bruise that barely peeped out from under her dresses collar, an ugly purple.

The mission had suddenly gained importance, and the plan had been simple enough to make her nervous. Surely royals would protect—or imprison—their guests and residents better.

Or perhaps Lord Smug was higher up than she had given him credit for. Perhaps he had an intimate knowledge of the workings of the palace, enough to know that a certain corner of a certain courtyard was tucked away, made into a constant blind spot. He had hinted vaguely, as he had hurriedly gone through the plan, that it was on purpose for royal trysts that guards need not see.

It had taken longer than anyone had expected for her to calm Princess Ihyana down enough to trust her to do her part. As soon as she had gone to her nanny—she was still a child to be watched after all—Dalki had run to the courtyard, thankfully making no navigational mistakes this time.

Still, it took a while for Ihyana to make her way to the shadowy area practically hidden from the rest of the courtyard and definitely not in the sight of her nanny who was knitting in the shade of the palace doorway.

A few secret tunnels later, and Dalki had been hustling Ihyana into a car with Mr. Surly so tense and still it seemed he would break if he moved.

Princess Ihyana had been silent the entire time, her face disturbingly pale, her blue eyes wide, her lips set in a determined line. She hadn’t seem to like the faint smell of tobacco and expensive cologne. Her nose had wrinkled when nothing else moved, and finally she had jerked in a delicate sneeze. Dalki couldn’t seem to stop watching this girl who she did not know.

She had started to relax and then the guards at Lord Smug’s grand house and then changing into another maid’s uniform. She had squeezed the princess’ hand as Ihyana’s big eyes watched in crazed fear.

Now she stood beside Mr. Surly, watching the guards file out of the house calmly as she stood about to burst with the tension. Eshe burned itself into her mind, the identity of her employer, a dangerous thing to know.

Dalki felt nauseous. She thought she would be able to breathe after the last guard shut the door behind him, but her lungs refused to cooperate. Now Lord Sm… Lord Eshe’s hand was on her elbow, propelling her through a house that she had never even dreamed of. She didn’t even have the mind to gawk. All she took in what was right in front of her. Gleaming wooden floors, glass windows.

Gold was in her hand. Eshe was talking to her. They were standing at a door, the back door she had entered through.

“You will go straight home. You will not return to Mr. Condrieve’s employ. There is enough money here for you to disappear. I suggest you do so.” His voice an urgent whisper, she can’t seem to take her eyes off of his serious black ones that bore into her. Suddenly he softened, put a kind hand on her shoulder. “You’re finished. You made it. You did good. Just make it back home, and you’ll be safe.”

Safe.

She was starting to come down from that fuzzy place that detached her from everyone around her. Eshe had a strange half smile half smirk on his face. His eyes weren’t truly boring into anything. They flickered. She saw the flash of his teeth gnawing on his lip.

He was nervous too.

Patting her shoulder, he said, almost distractedly, “I’ll know if you tell anyone what has taken place.” He started to open the door for her, started to leave, and she grabbed his arm.

Now she was sharp again. Now it was her eyes watching him closely. “You’re helping her, aren’t you?” she whispered, and the answer was important. She just didn’t know why.

Perhaps she had just discovered that she couldn’t live with helping evil. It was disconcerting. She had thought herself desperate and had forgotten what morals were long ago… or so she had assumed.

Perhaps she was afraid those big blue eyes would haunt her if she let their keeper die.

He blinked and then straightened, becoming something more than she had known the entire day. She didn’t need an answer. She could see the noble causes dripping off of him, weighing him down. He was a schmuck she rolled her eyes at, but he answered anyway, “I’m making sure the girl is safe.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1417 Reviews


Points: 3733
Reviews: 1417

Donate
Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:07 pm
View Likes
Noelle wrote a review...



Hi there!

One of these days I will actually catch up on your novel. One of these days.

I totally didn't forget who Dalki was. Nope. >.>

I have to say, this is one of my favorite chapters. I don't want to say my favorite because all of your chapters are great and I can't just pick one. It's very well written and you describe this scene well. I enjoyed reading it and really read it all the way through, every single word. Not that I don't normally do that, but I did it on the first try this time.

One thing I love about your novel is how you keep switching between characters. Each chapter it seems, is a new character and a new way to look at the story. I haven't read many novels, here and otherwise, that follow so many characters. I mean, sure the characters are in there and we know what's going on with them, but you really focus on them all. Like this chapter where we're seeing things from Dalki's point of view. We barely know her (right? My memory is terrible xD), but we're getting to see her here. I just think that's cool.

I do wish you would've shown us the kidnapping. We're getting the memory of it. And of course Dalki isn't going to tell us everything because she was nervous most of the time. How well can she really remember it? How much is she going to want to remember? You could also show us a lot about Dalki's character with the kidnapping scene. We'd get to see her in action.

Despite this not being the actual kidnapping scene, you did a good job with the emotions. I have a good idea of what Dalki was feeling and how she reacted to everything. That's always important in character development, as you know. I'm a huge fan of character development through actions and by putting them in tough situations. It's my belief that people show who they really are when faced with adversity. It's the same thing with characters. When you push someone to the limit, they have no time to think about how they're going to respond. They just do it. That's when their real character comes out. And it's interesting in this chapter with Dalki because I didn't imagine her to be like this when I first read about her. 'This' being: nervous, anxious, making sure she did a job for the good guys. It was a pleasant surprise to me.

On the other hand, that's exactly what would've worked well in the actual kidnapping scene. Take those same emotions and place them in the actual situation and it'll be a lot more effective. Plus we'll get some more emotions I'm sure, because we'll watch her go through it. Not to mention, it's been a little while since there's been any action. Sure there was the scene just last chapter where the guards invaded Obi's house, but you can always add more. You've been focusing so much on these characters and their relationships that you can afford to take a break and throw some action in here. This would be a perfect chapter to do so.

Your flow has been a bit inconsistent throughout your novel so far and you've had some grammatical/spelling errors. I blame that on having to write it so quickly though. Once you get to the editing stage you'll have more time to sit and really find your flow. Your writing style is on point though, and I can definitely tell this is your novel whenever I read a new chapter.

Overall, another great chapter here. I finally realized why I like your novel so much. It's because of the characters. You've showed us so much about them and you really focus on who they are. Not to mention this story is just superb. Seriously, not kidding.

Keep writing!
**Noelle**




megsug says...


Thank you. I'm really proud of my characters xP They're what created this in the first place. While I'm not afraid of character development, I'm terrified of action scenes which is why there are so few! There's some in the next part though~ And I'll try to get more in there. Practice makes perfect and all of that.
Um... I skipped the kidnapping scene because I wasn't sure how to make it exciting/not cliched/surprising ;n; When I go back to edit (cause, gosh darn, I'm going to finish this thing) I'll add the actual kidnapping. I wrote this at a time where I was really excited to move on to the next step.
Thanks so much for your reviews! You're always such a help.



User avatar
1634 Reviews


Points: 67548
Reviews: 1634

Donate
Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:14 pm
Deanie wrote a review...



Hi Megsug!

I'm glad to see this chapter has a few more reviews than usual :D Your work is so good it could use some more attention and loyal reviewers as well. ^^ So, this chapter was one I am a bit on the fence with. I liked it, but to be honest it disappointed me a little, and I am going to explain why later on. I think it was cool that we were seeing things from Dalki's perspective again, but unless something comes up I believe this might be the last time we are going to get to see things from hers! It was interesting to be back at the palace again and you did a great job of conveying her sense of shock at what she did through the way her thoughts started to process. I think the thought process and the conclusion that she wanted to be doing good and sticking to her morals was what I liked most about this chapter in particular.

But when it comes down to it, I was a bit disappointed. This is the great kidnapping moment that we know happened but have not been able to see yet. We already got the impression that it was successful, so I wasn't expecting any drama or anything, but I would've liked this if it was a bit more embellished or something. Maybe a close shave somewhere, or something that would've made the kidnapping moment more substantial and memorable. It just seemed a little too easy, even if it was all planned out accurately. I felt myself wanting more.

As well as that, this chapter was all narration! I like a bit more of a mix when it comes to my chapters. You could easily slide in some dialogue here in so many places earlier on. There was a bit of dialogue at the end, but I wanted more. For example, how did Dalki manage to calm the princess down? What was the princess saying in her panic? Was she saying that they would all be killed for treason? And even though Dalki was reassuring her (I wonder how she did that) did she start to prickle with worry that the princesses rash words rang some truth to them as well. Did she start to doubt whether or not she should've risked her life for this particular job?

I know we have only just met the princess and are probably going to see more chapters with her in there. But I don't think we saw too much of her here, and I wanted some more. She is going to be an important character, in my opinion and this is the first time we really get to "meet" her, so to speak. So make sure you make this a memorable moment for us! You had an awesome description of her appearance, but we didn't see any side to her personality except a bit of panic. I wanted more here as well :3

Also, the biggest problem I have seen with your work and keeps coming up in each review is the flow. I think you had a good job of it at the beginning of the novel, or at least I didn't notice it then. But now in the later chapters I can see that this just doesn't read as smoothly as I would like it to be, and in a lot of chapters that is the only thing keeping it from being perfect. For example, you wrote:

Getting into the palace was surprisingly easily if one knew where the back door was. The army of staff a palace needed for everyday maintenance made it easy for one more person to slip by.


But there are a lot of 'little words' in there, and sometimes you phase things in strange ways which could've been written to flow so much better. Like switching word order. For example, I would rewrite the quote to read as:

It was surprisingly easy to get into the palace if you knew where the back door was. The army of staff a palace needed everyday for maintenance made it easy for anyone to slip by.

See how I tweaked a few words just to make it shorter and have less little words in there? 'One more person' became 'anyone' instead, so that it would cut out on two words we didn't need. Doing this can help the chapters thrive here a lot ^.^ If I am not explaining it properly if you want more help doing this, just let me know. Oh, and I thought it was a bit strange having 'easily' and 'easy' so close to each other. It was bordering repetitious.

She had lived through trying times most of her live,


I think you mean 'life'.

She understood Lord Smug’s paranoia when she had donned a maid’s garments, supplied by Mr. Surly as Lord Smug outlined the plan.


At first I wondered who she was talking about, and then I remembered the nicknames! But it was hard remember which was which. I think at the beginning (it does become more evident later on) you should do something that hints at who is who, in case there are some more forgetful readers like.

I felt like when Dalki is at the palace, she should be a bit more in awe. I mean, she is someone who has face the toughness of life and has likely never been in such richness before. She's in the palace! It's as rich as it gets. Yes, later on she stares at Obi's house with something close to awe, but I found it weird that she felt that way then and not before. And maybe she should compare the tunnels and alleyways the maids were supposed to use in comparison to the ones the royalty use (which I am sure she had to walk down as well.) That might make some nice way to slide in some descriptions as well.

All she took in what was right in front of her.


You're missing a 'was' before the what.

I have nothing more for you here! I wonder whose perspective we are going to be delving into next, or if it will still be Dalki's. I am looking forward to reading more. These chapters are really building onto the plot, and I can see things are only get to more complicated.

Image

Deanie x




User avatar
271 Reviews


Points: 414
Reviews: 271

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:58 pm
Gravity wrote a review...



Hey, Gravity here for a review.
This is going to be short and sweet since I don't have a lot of time and nor have I read the rest of this novel. Hey meg! *waves like a maniac*

Getting into the palace was surprisingly easily


I think you mean "easy", also you repeat this word again in another sentence not far away, so try replacing one with "simple", instead to avoid redundancy.

Also, Lord Smug and Lord Surly? Genius names, I laughed so hard.

So, I thought this was interesting even though I didn't understand half of what was going on. But I think one thing you really need to work on is your flow. I feel like you indent too often which means each paragraph only has 2 or 3 sentences which is usually fine when you only do it a few times for emphasis. Other than that, paragraphs should be longer. I know they're suppose to be gauged by new thoughts, ideas and actions, but really I think there are some good places for you to combine, expand and elaborate. Which makes sense because your chapter is so short. I think you should really take a minute to smell the roses. What are your characters seeing and feeling?

There was one point where you say that Dalki feels nauseous. You tell us a lot of things, but one really important part of reading and being able to visualize what you're reading is being able to show that as well. More description and more imagery.

Again, interesting story, good names, interesting ideas. But I've seen your writing meg, you're brilliant. I wish you would let more of your brilliance shine through. :)

XOXO,
Gravity




User avatar
209 Reviews


Points: 10769
Reviews: 209

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:56 pm
View Likes
artemis15sc wrote a review...



Hey there. Overall, this was a nice, clean, read. It had nice suspense and flow. Excellent job.

That being said, it's a little short. It was nice for reviewing, but it made the chapter feel a little rushed, and it was hard to keep track of what was going on. A lot happened in very little time. My advice is to slow down and explain more about what's happening.

I also think you need a little more description. You have some nice physical descriptions of people, but I want to know more of what the castle looked like, and the tunnel. And not just what things looked like, but what they physically felt like, smelled like, tasted like, and sounded like.

You don't want to overdo it with description, bit just a little bit here and there makes the story come alive and helps us feel like we're experiencing it along with your character.

Right, on to the nitpicks:

She understood Lord Smug’s paranoia when she had donned a maid’s garments, supplied by Mr. Surly as Lord Smug outlined the plan.
There's nothing grammatically wrong with this sentence, but I would break it up into two. It's just a lot happening in one sentence, and some of the things don't even seem to be connected.

The mission had suddenly gained importance, and the plan had been simple enough to make her nervous.
This just felt weird to me. it gained importance because the princess freaked out? make that clearer. Also, the second phrase seems a little out of place. Either move it somewhere else, delete it, or at least make it its own sentence.


Dalki felt nauseous.
I'm sure you've heard of show don't tell. Here is an example of when you are telling but should be showing. What we have here is a thesis statement. While great in essays, in writing they pull the reader of of the story because they refer to you, the author. Also, it takes it potential suspense in your story because we now know what the next paragraph is going to be about. It's like your giving us spoilers, which no one likes.

There is enough money here for you to disappear. I suggest you do so.” His voice an urgent whisper, she can’t seem to take her eyes off of his serious black ones that bore into her.
You should delete the period after so and make it comma, and then make it "His voice is an urgent whisper." Period after whisper as well. Hopefully that made sense.

“You’re helping her, aren’t you?” she whispered, and the answer was important.
I would delete the and and make it. "The answer was important."

And that's all I've got.

Thanks for sharing!

-Art




User avatar
2631 Reviews


Points: 6235
Reviews: 2631

Donate
Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:32 pm
View Likes
Rydia wrote a review...



Hullo!

I've not read the previous chapters so please ignore me if I point out anything which you feel is covered earlier!

Specifics

1.

Dalki wrung her hands. [This isn't a very captivating first sentence and it stands out because you've made it short and snappy but the words aren't interesting enough for that to work. You need to either go the descriptive route or if you want a short sentence, it should be something a little more dramatic. Like 'Dalki's nerves were tighter than a hangman's noose'.] She had lived through trying times most of her live life, but her nerves were pulled tight, vibrating with the strain of the past few hours. She understood Lord Smug’s paranoia when she had donned a maid’s garments, supplied by Mr. Surly as Lord Smug outlined the plan.


2.
Getting into the palace was surprisingly easily easy if one knew where the back door was. The army of staff a palace needed for everyday maintenance made it easy for one more person to slip by. After a heart pounding forty-five minutes where she had to weave her way around the palace after taking the wrong turn, she had found the princess and showed her the note Lord Smug had given her.


3. I feel like a lot is happening rather quickly but we're not seeing any of it. I want to watch this army of servants bustling about the place and to see Dalki worry as she realises she has made the wrong turn and to feel her relief upon seeing the princess, but also the increased worry of slipping the note to her. I want to know which room she finds the princess in and to have a sense of how grand it is and whether Dalki feels out of place there or not.

4.
A glance at the girl had made Dalki wonder if Lord Smug was up to anything evil. The blonde’s fair face had been splotchy with passion and her eyes still wet with tears. There had been a bruise that barely peeped out from under her dresses collar, an ugly purple.
This is awkward. Maybe try 'under her dress collar' or 'under the collar of her dress'.

5.
Princess Ihyana had been silent the entire time, her face disturbingly pale, her blue eyes wide, her lips set in a determined line. She hadn’t seemed to like the faint smell of tobacco and expensive cologne. Her nose had wrinkled when nothing else moved, and finally she had jerked in a delicate sneeze. Dalki couldn’t seem to stop watching this girl who she did not know.
I'd like more description of the princess here - what is she wearing and how does she make Dalki feel? Does she feel inferior or strangely equal to her? Does the princess appear steely and strong or like any other child?

6.
“You will go straight home. You will not return to Mr. Condrieve’s employ. There is enough money here for you to disappear. I suggest you do so.” His voice an urgent whisper, she can’t couldn't [Careful not to change tense.] seem to take her eyes off of his serious black ones that bore into her. Suddenly he softened, put a kind hand on her shoulder. “You’re finished. You made it. You did good. Just make it back home, and you’ll be safe.”


Overall

I liked this! I think there was a little too much telling and not enough describing but the main character is interesting and there's enough action to keep me tuned in. I think maybe I'd like to see more uncertainty as to the guy's good/ bad intentions at the end as that would help build some drama, but in general this flows well and is an easy read.

Best of luck!

Heather xx




Random avatar

Points: 300
Reviews: 0

Donate
Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 am
Saturn says...



This was really interesting! I love the character development through the story. I can't wait to see what turns the story takes next, and you can trust that I'll be following it. It's very intriguing and I love the story. I can't find any mistakes, either!




:)





if ya mention chickens, i have to show up, that is the law.
— alliyah