Chapter 1.2: Ilami

by Lightsong

Seconds after Ilami’s scream, a whoosh pierced the air. Shadows loomed over her and she stared back. Standing behind her was Jaxin, Mother’s head servant, and two hooded figures at his sides. Jaxin stretched his neck to look at the corpse in front of her. People surrounding them continued their activities as if there was nothing to see, typical of being inhabitants of the city.

‘You have passed the test, Young Mistress.’ His voice and dark face were void of emotions. For a moment, she was disgusted by his statement; it was as if he was commenting on the weather. He nodded to his companions and they quickly approached the corpse, picking it before vanishing. ‘We will go back to the house. Her Ladyship will be pleased with this news.’

Ilami stared at him with silence. Her attention went back to her fire sword, which was now nothing but a dagger. The spell had worn off, but she still could see the man’s blood on the Axiel steel. She looked away; she’d have to wash it later. The spot where the man laid just now was pristine, probably done by the mysterious figures in a manner of seconds.

Jaxin offered his hand. ‘Come, Young Mistress. We will need to make sure you are clean before you meet Her Ladyship.’

‘I don’t want to meet Mother now,’ she said as soon as he finished. The last thing she would do was to find Mother and told her what had happened as if it was a good news. Mother didn’t tell her she had to kill the man. Why should she, a nine-years-old girl, murdered an innocent person? Mother should know she didn’t like what she had done. ‘I’m going to the lake.’ With that, she turned around.

Jaxin didn’t stop her, only expressing his objection in the form of ‘But, Young Mistress -’ which she cut off with a wave of her hand. She knew Jaxin held the highest position among Mother’s servants, but she was her superior, being the Mother’s daughter. Footsteps followed her. She didn’t look back; the least Jaxin could do was to watch and protect her.

Black stones covered the road while shops and stalls accompanied it from side to side. People walked past them, some stole a glance on Ilami’s bloodied dagger. She didn’t care. What she needed right now was the cool of the Sapphire Lake, the soothing touch of its water. Carriages moved through the way and some of the more adventurous individuals traveled by riding their horses. The noise was bearable at that time, not helping Ilami to escape thoughts about the dead man.

She took the single junction to the left that appeared a few minutes later, leading to Sapphire Lake. Her pace and heartbeats increased. She passed through the trees ending the road and emerged into the desired place.

The lake was magnificent. True to its name, its water ran sapphire in colour, sparkling under the light of the sun. She ran towards it but slowed down when she reached the bank. The expanse of the lake seemed to be endless, but she knew it was a trick by the water spirits. She squinted her eyes, and sure enough, water spirits played at the middle of the lake, splashing each other with its content. They were as as small as a human’s hand, their luminous blue body lacked in details except for a curve here and there to differentiate the sexes.

She could hear their slow giggles, a music to her ears. Carefully, she took off her shoes and dipped her toes into the water. The freezing sensation pierced him, but it wasn’t like the usual one of a lake. The coldness felt as if it explored her flesh with its tiny invisible hands, numbing it in an attempt to heal it. She could feel how energy rushed towards her skin, her flesh, and soon she was waist down the water. She glanced back and saw Jaxin watching her, his pose straight and unmovable.

‘Come, Jaxin, join me,’ she said, her attention back to the water spirits. She had never joined them or having an actual conversation with them. Despite their friendly nature, they distanced themselves from humans for reasons she couldn’t guess. Slowly, she sunk herself deeper into the water, allowing it to reach her neck. Her skin felt the cold tinglings and welcomed it.

Jaxin, of course, didn’t participate. ‘Her Ladyship will not be pleased with what Young Mistress has done. You know well she doesn’t like her daughter to play around while she’s supposed to inform to Her Ladyship about the test.’ Urgency tinged in his voice.

Ilami sighed. Trust Jaxin to remind her of things she didn’t want to remember. ‘I would report to her about what I had done once my mind is clear.’ She splashed the water with her feet, her body now floating. She closed her eyes, listening to the whispers of nature. Birds chirped nearby mixed with the water spirits’ giggles and splashes. ‘I don’t want to meet her in a bad mood.’ She opened one eye to Jaxin. ‘You wouldn’t want that, would you?’

Jaxin didn’t reply, giving her a flat stare. Sometimes she wondered if he ever let loose and be herself, not the loyal servant she had come to be accustomed to. She closed her eye back. Mother wouldn’t like that, her servant being carefree. She preferred them doll-like so that she could pull their every action with her strings. She just hadn’t known she would do that to her own daughter, forcing a girl to kill a person. When mother looked at her, did she saw a child needed love and care, or did she saw a potential that could be shaped into a weapon?

‘Jaxin,’ she said, still closing her eyes. ‘It has been years since you serve us. What do you think of me?’

A gulp was heard, bringing a smile to her face. She could tell the question caught him off guard. He cleared his throat. ‘You are the most stubborn child I have ever served, Young Mistress. You are not just a Xesar-blessed Companion; the fire in you had existed the moment you yelled in fury for the first time.’

She hummed to that, not expecting him to give her a long, direct reply. But then again, honesty would be a trait Mother appreciated - if it didn’t cross the line. It still didn’t now, and what surprised her more was the gentleness saturating his words. If she could describe it with a word, it would be… fondness. Despite her submission to obedience, he found it something worthy to be adored? He surely was a strange man.

Half an hour later, she was satisfied. New-found energy had been stored in her body, rejuvenating her. She went out of the lake, standing in a wet sky-blue tunic. ‘Wernia dreyis,’ she uttered, prompting wind to spiral around her, letting her cloth to move out of control. Drying spell was one of the convenient spells she had learned. Although it was a wind-based, not fire-based, spell, she could still learn a little bit of it. Not as extensive as a Wermin-blessed Companions, individuals who were attuned to the element of wind.

Her clothes dried after half a minute. She turned to Jaxin who had held out his hand. She embraced his arm instead and anticipated for the incoming sensation. Her gaze blurred, the world a mess of moving colours, each of them unable to stay still. She also felt it took a bit more effort to breath but it didn’t last long. Colours returned to their place, painting the world with a different design in mind. She stared at the mansion standing tall and dignified in front of her. She had arrived home.

Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:58 am

First Impression: Soo..now that I've read the full first chapter, I can give my thoughts on the entirety of this...aaand I think I'm loving this start so far. If this was the first chapter in a story, I'd absolutely be turning those pages to the second chapter.

Well, that paints a nice little portrait there, it looks like tests like this are rather common, and potentially performed on a lot more people than just this one daughter of the person who runs said tests, either that or people in general just get murdered far more often. The servant's reaction also suggests this is a very common occurrence that they're no longer bothered by or he's just really good at being impassive.

Hmm, washing the blood off of your blades is suuper important. I'm glad that she remembers that. The last thing you want is a rusted dagger that's also caked in dried gunk, worst weapon ever. Also looks like she's going to have report back quickly after this test.

Well...I'm guessing there's no official order for Ilami to return to the mother's side. That interaction went about as well as it could have. That little bit of reasoning is rather neat too, cause that lets you know the age, which is pretty low for a protagonist like this but well this is fantasy so I'm gonna let that have the benefit of the doubt. They might not be the humans that we run into every day.

Hmm, so it appears she's going towards a place that she appears to consider a bit of a safe space where she can be at piece with what she just had to do. It definitely sounds like it could potentially be an important setting going forward.

Oooh, this is a fun little moment here. I loved the description of the lake especially with you managing to slip in the details about the water spirits. Ahh this gradual reveal of the world around them and its many special features is my favorite way to learn about a fantasy world so this is going awesomely. You can also clearly see Ilami visibly relaxing in this space and just enjoying being there.

Hmm, well her age comes through a little there, that sounds very much like how a younger child of a family of a bit of a high standing would react, trying to get the servants involved in the whole thing...with Jaxin having to remind her of her mother's potential displeasure. There's been barely a few words speaking between these two here but I can already tell this is going to be a dynamic that I will enjoy reading about.

Hmm...that almost sounded like the sweetest way that someone can fire off a threat...well, I can safely say I'm already liking Ilami as a character here and I want to know more about how she's ended up in this situation.

Ahh..this little reflection by Ilami is a powerful one there. You manage to tell us quite a bit about her mother in this one small paragraph and you already start forming opinions about what sort of person she may be and what her motivations are like.

Ahh yes my prediction that I will love this dynamic is already coming into play...it seems very appropriate once again for someone of Ilami's age to casually ask a question like that, probably not realizing how much of a spot she put Jaxin under and yet...I detect a hint of genuine care in Jaxin, maybe I'm reading a little too much into it, but despite the rather negative reply, I think Jaxin does care quite a bit for Ilami.

So I wasn't the only one who picked up on that. I think you're definitely onto something there Ilami...and also she's remarkably perceptive for someone her age, I suppose one would have to be when her mother treats her the way she does.

Ooooh...so spells don't appear to necessarily be taxing or anything of that sort in this world judging from the casual use of a spell when a towel would've been just as effective. So that's telling us a lot and we get a hint of how the magic systems in this world seem to work, so that's awesome to see as well.

Ooooh...and a cool little teleportation trick to end on. I must admit I was worried for a second that Jaxin had somehow poisoned her or something, but hmm, the ending is rather clear. I just feel like maybe it would be nice of Jaxin to give a slight heads up, cause well...its not a stretch to imagine that this is a rather common occurrence and Ilami is very used to this, but as a reader it looks like she took Jaxin's hand for help with getting to her feet and then just BOOM...a fairly scary sounding effect..so uhh, think on that a touch :D

Overall: Overall, you've done a great job with this opening chapter. There is plenty of mystery to keep us questioning and wanting to know more. You tell us just enough the magic of this world and what its like for us to get a taste for the mechanics, and for us to understand what's going on, but not so much that it becomes an info dump. The characters so far are very likeable, well besides Ilami's mother, but well that's for a different reason. On the whole, a really solid start. Catch ya again in the next chapter :D

Lightsong says...

Thanks again! :D

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D

Fri May 25, 2018 1:12 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello Lightsong!! Here as requested :D

I'm sure I've said this a billion times before, but I'm not usually a fantasy person, so things that don't make sense to me or don't work for me could be due to my lack of fantasy experience. But, it can also be beneficial to have a non-fantasy person reading because if I can get into your world, then you're golden :)

I'm super intrigued by your plot and some of the themes I'm seeing already. I love a cool, strong, female main character and I'm a fan of the overbearing/controlling mother seed you've planted here. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that relationship and learning more about why they are the way they are.

I liked that you started the chapter off with a big, action-packed scene. There's always a risk with scenes like this because we don't know anything about the characters, the world, or what's going on, so there's the danger of the reader not caring. Even without context, I was intrigued by that opening. I thought you did a nice job of balancing the action with just enough details about her and the world to keep me intrigued and I thought it was a cool way to introduce us to her and the world.

When it turned out to be a test rather than a spur of the moment fight for her life, I was a little taken off guard because I thought this was a spur of the moment danger. I was a little confused about the idea of the tests. I'm sure this will be explained further later and I don't want all of the info in the first chapter, but I think I'd like a little more context about what these tests are. Her mom is testing her. Is this the first time? How often does this happen? (I want to know why she's being tested like this, but I'm sure that answer will come in due time!)

I really liked her thought process at the end of 1.1 and how she was really thinking through whether she was going to kill this guy or not and that it was a big moral dilemma for her. I think fantasy characters can get a little kill-happy sometimes and I'm glad she stopped and thought it through before acting. I was a little surprised by her vulnerability (the crying) because up until now she's been this tough fighter girl. Not that tough fighter girls can't or shouldn't cry (I like that she has a vulnerable side!) but it was a big contrast compared to how we've seen her so far.

AND SHE’S NINE? WHAT?

Once the intense battle is through and she's talking to Jaxin and going to the lake, I think that would be a good opportunity to throw in some more world details and descriptions. I'm not one to talk because description is ALWAYS the thing I have to go back and add more of :p but I'd like to see more of this world. You have some descriptions of her surroundings but I want to be taken over by my senses. Especially on her walk to the lake and when she gets to the lake. And when she's on her way to the lake, I'd make it clearer that Jaxin goes with her. Right now it feels like she goes off on her own but then boom he's there with her.

At the lake we loose some of her personality. She was super dynamic when she was fighting in 1.1 and I want the same wow she's cool feeling reading about her elsewhere. You can show that through how she carries herself, her inner monologue and thought processes, and how she interacts with others. I'm already wondering if this should be in first person rather than third (but I'll weigh in on that more later... :p)

Lastly, the final paragraph really confused me. I get that they did some kind of magical thing to get them from point A to point B, but I don't get what they did or how they did it. Remember, we're new to your world so don't be afraid to slow things down a little and explain some of the things going on :)

Overall, like I said before I think this is an interesting concept and I'm looking forward to seeing how you've developed this. I'm really looking forward to meeting the mom and learning more about that dynamic and these "tests" she has her Ilami doing.

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! Until next time :D

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! Yeah, she's too young - I adjusted her age in later chapters. :D

lelu wrote a review...

Hey, Lelu working on the new series of reviews of this book. Firstly, I like how you refer to the wind and fire specialists as "blessed," which probably means blessed by the gods of wind and fire? Maybe the gods will show up? Jaxin is cool. I like his type of reserved/butler/surrogate parent character. The water spirits are nice. We find out that Ilami is nine, unusual for this kind of teen fiction, but that doesn't make it any less cool. Maybe she'll grow up in the next few chapters. Or not. Whatever. You say "nine-years-old," but it's just "year." "Why should she murdered an innocent person?" Should be "murder." Also, when you're talking about the dead guy, you say he "laid" where it should be "lay." Lay/laid/lie/lying is the bane of most writers. Occasionally you leave out a small word or type it twice, and you might want to go over the chapter and double-check before you release it. In summary, this is still cool, and I can't wait to meet her mom. She's probably going to be a really cool villain.

Brigadier wrote a review...

Well I'm back. I read this through a couple of times last night and the rest of the chapters, so I could roll through them for the first day of RevMo. Be expecting a few replies from me today.

The spacing of the events is throwing me again, even though I recognize these chapters were split into parts because of length. Even if this is just turning to the next page, there could be more than a few seconds for the main character to process what just happened. Though in the other perspective sense, it makes the mother and her assistant all the more crueler, where they don't even give the man two seconds to just become a victim of the test. Perhaps that is what you were going for with an opening like that.
Either way I'm getting more interested and liking this story more and more.

oh my god. she's so young.
When I opened this story up, I jumped to the conclusion that this character was going to be like 12-15 years old, just because of having to face the immoral act of killing someone. Now I find out that she's only 9. This definitely shifts things in my mind and should teach me not to assume as many things about people. It's bringing in more of the dark shade that the first piece of dialogue did and it's my best guess at this point that it was all on purpose. There are some mixed feelings with me about this because at some points she's acting very mature and then sloping down into not-so-much. But I guess that comes with the territory.

The dialogue is rather interesting to me. Where the characters are kind of beating around the bush at everything. And that the mother's right hand man is so calm. Like I can easily imagine him saying something along the lines of, "Yeah you just killed that guy but let's go back to the house and get some ice cream." He's a very likable character despite his initial arrival that kind of rattled me. In the sense, where it seems like he's just trying to keep things peaceful in the household.

And now I see it stirring towards sort of atla magic so that has definitely got my attention peaked.

Alright I'll see you and your novel later on today.
I think this is all the time I can manage to slip away from work for now.
~Liz

Lightsong says...

For some reason, there's no notification for your review. o.o Thanks, btw! :D

Brigadier says...

might have been because i had it as a draft from another day
that changes the time code sometimes

Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there Lightsong! This is Kays here dropping in for another review (I don't know why I'm here so late) on this lovely Review Day. Sorry for taking so long to get around to this one because I kept meaning to talk about this but also kept getting distracted over and over again. With this being Review Day, that problem is fixed. Let's dig in.

The start of this chapter is the definition of cool. I don't know if this is intentional and I don't mean to do this, but a lot of the time when I'm reading your writing as if I'm watching an anime or reading a manga. The opening with the Mother's head servant and the other two hooded figures is neat. I do have a nitpick on the grammar in the paragraph below though.

'Picking it before vanishing' is the specific phrase that I'm confused by. What does that mean? Give clarity by rewording the awkward diction there. That being said, let's continue on.

There should be a comma after the word 'mistress' here instead of a period because that line of dialogue continues with 'we'. This may be more of a stylistic choice here instead of a full-on grammar error, but I suggest changing that nonetheless. The imagery and description used in this chapter, especially the first couple of paragraphs are pretty great in this respect even though before I found this to be a teensy bit of a problem this is an element that's been refined over time and practice--nice job! The atmosphere of this chapter is a lot more fun than I expected? And, Ilami is a lot different in personality than expected.

These are two parts of the chapter that crushed my expectations...in the wrong way? She's a lot more playful than I imagined, especially after killing her first person even though she does find disgust. I hope that the death comes up again in the form of a nightmare or the fact that she remembers because--if she's hurt by having to kill somebody in the first part, Ilami most likely won't simply forget after this amount of time. I expected this to be on her mind a bit more--I'd say that this is out of character but at this point, I'm only acquaintanced with her and her personality.

Anyway, overall I found this chapter to pretty solid--I agree with Mea in the part about age and Ilami acting a little too old to be nine. Define her character a little more and if she's going to be nine, give a bit more innocence or naivety to her. Don't make her a complete expert in a young body. Make her character more real than that.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 am
Mea wrote a review...

Okay, this will be a short but hopefully sweet review. <3

This part is easily one of the best things I've read from you in a long while. You dive right into Ilami's character with a concrete, chilling scene that's easy to understand and not bogged down in any extraneous information. You also do a great job of casually putting the magic in while allowing the focus to be on her character.

I thought your first part was weaker, however. Mostly because it relies on the fight scene to be interesting, but it takes a while to get to why they're fighting, and when you start a story in the middle of a fight, it can be hard for the readers to care because they don't understand who these people are or why they should care about them fighting. Full disclosure: I accidentally read this part before I read chapter 1.1, and I couldn't tell. Then when I realized that and went back to read the first part, I wasn't as impressed.

I actually think you could cut the fight scene almost entirely, and throw in a bit of extra information here about how she managed to make the fire sword and how the man begged to be killed because Ilami's mother had his family. Just have his words repeat in Ilami's head while she's in shock or something, because personally I think the image of a young girl standing over a dead body is a much more dramatic first scene than a fight scene, even if it means you have to wait a bit longer to introduce the magic stuff. Just some food for thought.

I'll echo previous reviewers in that Ilami feels a little too old to be nine. Mostly in her independence and willfulness - her decision to just go to the lake regardless of what Jaxin says is something that would fit better with a 12-14 year old. At nine, I'd expect her to be a lot more horrified but still trusting of Jaxin and her mother. More innocent and more in shock, basically, which you can tell she's not.

And that's it for this part. Since I'm so behind I think I'll review every other part or so, rather than each one, but it'll depend on how much I have to say for each.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:20 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Lightsong! I saw you'd been looking for reviews for your novel so I thought I'd pop in.

I've read the first half of the chapter as well, so I'm on track. I think this part is stronger, though that may be because I'm a sucker for mellow, character-building scenes. You're pretty good at striking a balance between exposition and ambiguity, and I feel the the world has a great tangibility to it already. Your shortcomings tend to be in your expression. There are some grammar slip-ups here and there, and you frequently phrase things in a way that's a little convoluted. I'll work through the piece for nitpicks and then close with some more detailed overall thoughts.

Nitpicks

a whoosh pierced the air

Does a whoosh pierce? Piercing suggest sharpness, but a whoosh to me is a messy, fluttering sort of sound. It's your call, but I think you could do with a more fitting verb.

People surrounding them continued their activities as if there was nothing to see

Maybe insert something specific about what kind of activities these people are doing. Dashing to work? Shining shoes? Selling newspapers? Specificity is more engaging, and it'll help us get a sense of the setting.

He nodded to his companions and they quickly approached the corpse, picking it before vanishing.

1) Instead of 'quickly approached' maybe go for a single verb that suggests swiftness. Rushed? Dashed? Scampered? Scuttled? Whichever fits.

2) You mean 'picking it up', I assume. Just a missing word.

The spot where the man laid just now was pristine, probably done by the mysterious figures in a manner of seconds.

The grammar is off in the first clause and the expression is a little clunky. Perhaps have something like:

The spot where the man had lain was now pristine; one of the mysterious figures had probably seen to that.

The phrasing is just an example, but 'had lain' is the correct grammar so make sure you use that.

The last thing she would do was to find Mother and told her what had happened as if it was a good news.

The tenses are misaligned. It should be either:

The last thing she would do would be find to Mother and tell her what had happened as if it was good news.

Or something like this:

The last thing she wanted was to find Mother and tell her what had happened as if it was good news.

I personally prefer the second. I think it's clearer.

Why should she, a nine-years-old girl, murdered an innocent person?

1) It should be 'nine-year-old'. Even though it does make more sense for 'year' to be plural.

2) Tense issues again. It should be either 'why should she, a nine-year-old girl, murder an innocent person?' or 'why should she, a nine-year-old girl, have murdered an innocent person?' I think the second is more appropriate because she's referring to something that has already happened.

Jaxin didn’t stop her, only expressing his objection in the form of ‘But, Young Mistress -’ which she cut off with a wave of her hand.

I don't think you need that first bit. It only makes the writing more telling. If you simply had:

‘But Young Mistress -’

She cut him off with a wave of her hand.

We'd still understand what was happening, and it would be more showing than telling.

She knew Jaxin held the highest position among Mother’s servants, but she was her superior,

His superior, you mean. Did you change Jaxin's gender at some point while drafting this, out of interest? There's quite a few occasions where you refer to him with female pronouns.

Black stones covered the road while shops and stalls accompanied it from side to side

I'm not sure about that wording. You usually say 'from side to side' when referring to the movement of something. 'On either side' might be better.

People walked past them, some stole a glance on Ilami’s bloodied dagger.

Comma splice. Change the comma to a full stop. Also, why are people interested in Ilami's dagger when they barely blinked at a corpse?

Carriages moved through the way and some of the more adventurous individuals traveled by riding their horses

1) What do you mean by 'through the way'? What is 'the way'? Would 'through the streets' be better?

2) For the sake of brevity and cutting words, you could easily change that last bit to 'traveled on horseback'.

The noise was bearable at that time, not helping Ilami to escape thoughts about the dead man.

After reading this about three or four times, I caught the meaning. It needs to be clearer. Maybe something like:

The noise wasn't loud enough to drown Ilami's thoughts.

They were as as small as a human’s hand

Repetition. Just a typo.

She had never joined them or having an actual conversation with them.

You mean 'had'.

Her skin felt the cold tinglings and welcomed it.

Again, slightly odd phrasing. Something like 'Her skin welcomed the tingling cold' would be more succinct.

‘I would report to her about what I had done once my mind is clear.’

Tenses are all over the place here. You start with conditional/past, move into past perfect and then into present. I'd have something like:

‘I will report to her about what I have done once my mind is clear.’

She closed her eye back.

Not sure what you mean here. Is it like she closes her eyes in response? I think you should delete 'back' and just have 'She closed her eyes'.

When mother looked at her, did she saw a child needed love and care, or did she saw a potential that could be shaped into a weapon?

In both cases, it should be 'see', not 'saw'.

‘It has been years since you serve us.

Since you started to serve us, do you mean?

Despite her submission to obedience, he found it something worthy to be adored?

Is submission the word you're looking for? Submitting is obeying. It would suggest that she is obedient, even though he's just called her stubborn.

‘Wernia dreyis,’ she uttered, prompting wind to spiral around her, letting her cloth to move out of control.

This struck me very strongly as odd expression. 'Letting' is not a very evocative verb. If you had something like:

‘Wernia dreyis,’ she uttered, prompting wind to spiral around her and buffet her clothes.

It would be simpler and create a clearer picture.

She also felt it took a bit more effort to breath

Breathe. Breath is the noun.

Overall Thoughts

1) Once again, I like the setting and the world. You slip in titbits about magic with ease - the exposition is never blocky and feels pleasant to read. I like Jaxin and Ilami's dynamic, too. They're so different but you feel like there's a current of trust and understanding between the two of them.

2) I am in agreement with MJ that Ilami feels way older than nine. I thought she was in her late teens after reading the first part of the chapter and I still struggle to picture her as a young child. She feels too self-aware. It's a very difficult thing to write smart and capable children without making them seem unrealistically mature. You need to suffuse their intelligence with the right kind of inexperience and naivety. Children can absolutely be as smart as adults, but they know less. They understand less about how the world operates, which can make their logic refreshingly simple. If you want to keep her as young as she is, maybe try to integrate more naivety in the way she thinks and speaks. Otherwise, age her up.

3) On a similar note, Ilami's attitude to her mother confuses me somewhat. In a lot of the narrative, she demonstrates a very intimate understanding of what kind of person her mother is - cruel and manipulating, potentially raising Ilami to be a weapon. Yet in the first part she was shocked and upset that her mother would try to make her kill somebody. It doesn't match up for me. The transition from 'how could my mother make me do this!?' to 'my mother is a cold puppetmaster who wants to control all of her servants and potentially me as well' is too sudden. I would've expected Ilami to be more confused and doubtful about her mother's intentions, not sure what to think or who to trust. If you want to keep Ilami's perceptive awareness of what her mother is like, you should probably tweak her reaction to having to kill the man.

4) Aside from that, I'd only say do thorough proofreading and watch your tenses. Be mindful of brevity, as well. The aim of the game is to express as much as you can in as little words as you can.

I'll leave the review here. I do plan to read the next parts and critique those as well. I'm trying to follow more novels as they unfold on YWS, because I always think it's helpful to have a reviewer who can look at each chapter against the rest of the story. I hope this was helpful, in any case.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Lightsong says...

Every review is helpful as long as it's long. Thanks for the review! :D

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:31 pm
Atticus wrote a review...

People surrounding them continued their activities as if there was nothing to see, typical of being inhabitants of the city.

This should be 'typical of inhabitants', so just take out the being

They were as as small as a human’s hand, their luminous blue body lackeding in details except for a curve here and there to differentiate the sexes.

The freezing sensation pierced him, but it wasn’t like the usual one of a lake.
Don't you mean her?

Sometimes she wondered if he ever let loose and be herself, not the loyal servant she had come to be accustomed to.
I think you mean 'was himself', since you're referring to Jaxin.

Honestly, there aren't a lot of character and plot notes I can give you here. This is a really solid chapter, just like your first one, so I would just encourage you to balance action with feelings. It's a hard balance to strike and a more precise way of writing, but maybe you could explain how Ilami felt as she walked to the house, as she splashed in the water, and expanded more on her thoughts while balancing them with her actions.

I also felt that Ilami behaves as though she is at least 14, and though it would be a more powerful story if she was younger, I think that 11 or 12 is the youngest you can go. She doesn't behave like a 9-year-old at all, and it throws her character into question. That's a little bit of personal thought, but I just wanted to let you know that even a small detail like that can have bigger significance.

Overall, I liked the brightness of your descriptions. Your word choice is varied and vivid, and that makes the story come alive in every sentence and paragraph. I like seeing the constant struggle between the robotic killer that Ilami's mother has trained her to be, and the more carefree side of Ilami. Keep writing, and I can't wait to read more!

Best wishes,
MJ

'The Answer to the Great Question... Of Life, the Universe and Everything... Is... Forty-two,' said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy