Chapter 10.2: Gael

by Lightsong

Not so fast, Gael thought. ‘But she still told you without my permission, so you have to tell me something in return.’

Ilami tilted her head. ‘I don’t really think there’s something you want to know about me. We just met.’

Gael shook his head. ‘There was something you said when you saved me from Baris.’ He picked a stone and threw it to the field, watching as it sunk into the grass. ‘About killing a man.’

Ilami’s eyes widened. ‘I said that?’

‘Well, it was the best threat you could give to Baris,’ Gael said, shrugging. ‘Avoided the fighting nonsense before it began. Anyway. Is it true? You killed a person before?’

Ilami bent her legs and hugged them, the lower half of her face buried between them. It took a few seconds before she spoke again. ‘It’s true. I killed a man... by force. I had to. It was either him or me.’

Gael frowned. ‘How could that be? Why should you involve in that kind of stuff in the beginning? Did you do something illegal.’

‘No, it wasn’t that,’ she said, her voice dropping. ‘It was a test. Mother set it up for me. I thought what I should do was beat the guy. When that happened, he told me to kill him. He told me that was the real test - to kill him. I couldn’t believe it - it was so ridiculous - but he was persistent. He was injured. He should escape. Instead he begged me to kill him because it was either that or the both of us live. He couldn’t kill me in that state. If no one died, we failed the test.’ Ilami closed her eyes.

Mrs. Venaria did that to her daughter? Gael thought. No wonder Ilami easily doubts people. He gulped. ‘I’m sorry. I don’t know it’d be this personal -’

Ilami waved it away. ‘It’s okay. I have to get it out somehow. I tried to avoid thinking about it, but sometimes it just gets into my mind, and I don’t have anyone to talk about it.’ She paused. ‘Well, I have Aleveri, but I don’t know how she would react if she knows her friend’s a murderer. A killer.’

Gael grabbed Ilami’s hand, gripping it. ‘You can’t say that. Like you said, you were forced. You don’t want to, but you don’t have other choice. Stop blaming yourself for it.’

‘But I am, though, am I not?’ Tears fell from Ilami’s eyelids. ‘I am a murderer. I did kill a man. No matter under what circumstance I was in, I ended a man’s life. What kind of a decent person would be able to do that?’

‘You’ll die if you don’t do it!’ Gael shook her shoulder. ‘Look at me. What you did was wrong, true, but you weren’t to blame. It was Mrs. Venaria’s. She made this sick test for you. She even told the man to kill you - what kind of mother is that? I used to admire her, really, but hearing this, I just can’t - My parents won’t do that to me.’

Ilami smiled, her lips quivering. ‘You have good parents, Gael. I can’t say the same to mine. Even Father rarely meets me.’

Gael leaned back, looking at Ilami with a new perspective. He thought she would be the typical principal’s daughter - spoiled and talented, but she wasn’t anything he expected. She had a strong sense of morality despite her skepticism of people, and her past was dark. He had heard about her brother, Alyosha - how people praised him for being a remarkable Scholar student with a heart of a stone, and it affected his initial judgment of her.

He rested his hand on Ilami’s shoulder. ‘You have me. Hopefully this doesn’t sound as boasting, but I’m a good friend. Alever is even better. You can tell her what happened - she won’t judge. You saw her heal me. Although she viewed me as her academy rival, she knew the right thing to do - just like you. And even Haka will accept you. More people will welcome you.’

Ilami let out a weak chuckle. ‘You’re good at motivating people.’ She wiped her tears before looking around. ‘I hope no one saw me crying.’

‘Don’t worry, no one wants to see your hideous crying face.’

Ilami smiled, this time it was firmer. ‘I should burn you,’ she said with sugar on top.

‘Don’t be rude to your teacher!’ Gael said, frowning before breaking into a grin. Then, it disappeared. ‘I do have to wonder though - why did the man want you to kill him? I mean, I know he couldn’t kill you, but he could escape, couldn’t he?’

Ilami’s face turned sorrowful, but when she spoke, the guilt in her voice lessened. ‘He had a family. They were the reason he became a part of my test - the final one before I entered the academy.’ She sighed. ‘By killing him, I hurt those he loved and who loved him back. With the way he sacrificed himself, it didn’t surprise me.’

Gael looked at the field - a few students ran towards each other, fueled by the energy of youth. Distant laughter filled the silent air. ‘So sad,’ he said softly. ‘You, him, Ms. Venaria. They say the world is cruel, but really, the people are crueler.’

‘Brooding about it doesn’t help,’ Ilami said. ‘I’ll stop whatever evil plan Mother wants to carry out after this. First of all, I’m going to the man’s family to apologize for what has been done to him.’

‘Are you sure about that? They can get mad to you - it’s a ridiculous idea.’

Ilami shook her head. ‘I don’t care. It’ll at the very least makes me feel less guilty. Zivil Ayesis deserves that. His family can choose not to forgive me, but they’ll know I didn’t mean to kill him. I -’

‘Wait, what? What did you say?’ The name caught Gael’s attention like a raven of death. It couldn’t be. ‘What did you say his name was?’

Ilami frowned. ‘Zivil Ayesis. Do you know him?’

Oh Serra. ‘You can’t go to his family, Ilami. The moment you tell them you were forced to kill him, they will kill you. In fact, I think Mrs. Venaria has done all she can to protect you from them.’ He stood up, pulling Ilami with him. Suddenly, it was difficult to breath.

‘What are you talking about?’ Ilami said, pulling her arm away from Gael’s grip. ‘It’s the only right thing to do. I don’t know how much you know about Zivil, but I do know his family deserves to know the truth.’

Closing his eyes, Gael rubbed his temples. He wanted to explain to Ilami why she shouldn’t continue with her plan, but worry tugged him to go somewhere else. Somewhere safer and less public if they wanted to have a proper discussion about this. ‘Let’s go to Haka’s dorm. I’ll explain to you there.’

Ilami opened her mouth to say something before closing it. She folded her arms. ‘Out of all places, why did you choose Haka’s dorm? Why not go to yours?’

‘Most students are scared of Haka. They won’t want to go near him, including his roommate even. We’re going to be safe there.’

Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:28 am

First Impression: Okayy...so this part of the conversation somehow ended up being even more impactful than the previous one. I did not see that coming but I think this was definitely a good direction for the conversation to be taking.

Ilami’s eyes widened. ‘I said that?’

Oooh, this is an interesting turning of the tables right here...I did not expect things to really take this turn, but I love how Gael is trying to make things a bit more of a level playing field here. It seems a bit more in character there for someone his age and if Ilami does in fact manage to share something this personal truthfully, this could actually go some distance to truly strengthening this budding friendship that they have going on here.

Hmm, well that's the sort of reaction that you expect Gael to make. I do like how Ilami tries not to lie there, she immediately does try to sort of justify it and put in perspective, but considering she isn't exactly lying and is telling the truth that seems pretty fair. It is not exactly the easiest thing to admit that you've killed someone.

Hmm, that's a pretty nicely done explanation. I think its acts as a nice little summary for us too because it has been ten chapters now since we saw it all go down, so this sort of just gives us a good reminder of exactly what her mother put her through. I also love how Gael realizes that he unexpectedly stumbled upon something super personal and moves to apologize despite the fact that his own secret revealed but earlier was just as personal if not more.

Hmm, this is a good moment here. It feels like maybe we finally get to see a proper reaction from Ilami about this murder since the end of the first chapter. So far we've seen that whole incident get some mentions but it was never emotionally powerful like it is here and I like that. It gives the sense that maybe for a while Ilami bottled it all up inside and tried no to think about it but in front of Gael she feels like she trusts him enough to let it out a bit more.

Well....that is the sort of reaction you expect...pretty much, although maybe I wouldn't be that quick to judge Mrs. Veneria...there really is no telling what other factors might have played a part in that test which she had to undergo there. BUt hmm, definitely a very justifiable response though from Gael and him suddenly questioning his faith in Mrs. Venaria also is very much justified response there.

Hmm, well this is an interesting bit of reflection there from Gael here. I didn't quite detect him being this suspicious of Ilami but it does make sense that he would have a few prejudices there.

Hmm...this whole second part here has been very interesting here, and it does look like my earlier prediction is going to be correct. This is definitely a nice little bonding session for these two here and it is nice to see that a revelation like this only seems to be making this budding friendship stronger and it looks like the other two of the group will also fall into that category if she does tell them.

Hmm, well this was a cute little moment there. We haven't seen any easy banter between these two so far, and this is the very first sign of such a thing happening and I already love it. Hopefully we get to see some more friendly banter happening soon. Of course this moment is then followed by a very interesting question. I'm not surprised that someone like Gael spotted that little detail and questioned her further on it, but its not going to be easy answering a question like that for poor Ilami.

Hmm...well he's gone into a full loss of faith humanity moment there. Its almost a bit too much but then considering the kind of person he is it makes sense that such a thing could sort of shake him a bit to his core there especially because trusted Ilami's mother so much.

Hmm, I think she did make this promise to herself back in chapter one didn't she? Or did she? I feel like she maybe did, but at any rate, its good to see her take a decision like that. Although I have a feeling it won't be a pleasant visit considering that the whole name situation suggests that Mrs. Veneria didn't spare his family after all.

Ohhh yes it was Gael who told us the name of Daniel Ayesis, of course, this makes a lot of sense that he'd make this connection and immediately warn her off. This conversation once again taking a turn that I was not expecting but definitely in a good direciton.

Oooh, the dots are going to connected here. This should be another very interesting conversation to come. I can't wait to see what Gael is going to end up telling her here. Perhaps he even knows somethings that have not yet been revealed in the story.

Overall: Overall, I think a lot of pretty good stuff went down here in this chapter. Quite a few revelations of sorts, secrets shared and I feel like this is really moving in this chapter as some of the more personal things got shared. This conversation changing from academic to personal and ending like this makes for a lovely little rollercoaster here and I can't wait to see what will come up next. :D

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:14 pm
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Lightstong! Finally back to review. I'm going to nitpick as I go along. Suggested changes are in blue.

Nitpicks

‘I don’t really think there’s anything you want to know about me

‘It’s true. I killed a man... by force. I had to. It was either him or me.’

Gael frowned. ‘How could that be? Why should you involve in that kind of stuff in the beginning? Did you do something illegal?

Gael is nowhere near unsettled enough. Ilami's just admitted to being a murderer, yet his response is only to ask how she ended up in that kind of situation. I think you need to delve into his thoughts more, and show his shock more clearly in his response.

He was injured. He should have escaped.

Instead he begged me to kill him because it was either that or the both of us live. He couldn’t kill me in that state. If no one died, we failed the test.’ Ilami closed her eyes.

I'm surprised that Gael's first question isn't to ask what was so bad about the both of them staying alive. You'd think he'd be confused about why the man was so insistent on Ilami killing him - it's certainly what I'd be wondering about, if I was in his position.

‘Well, I have Aleveri, but I don’t know how she would react if she knew her friend was a murderer.

You didn’t want to, but you didn’t have any other choice. Stop blaming yourself for it.’

No matter under what circumstances I was in, I ended a man’s life. What kind of a decent person would be able to do that?’

‘You’d have died if you hadn't done it!’

Grammar aside, why does Gael say this? Ilami wouldn't have been killed if she hadn't murdered the man, and she never tells Gael so. She had to kill him to save the man's family, not to save herself.

My parents wouldn’t do that to me.’

And even Haka will accept you. More people will welcome you.’

Not really sure what you meant by 'more', here - it doesn't seem to fit. You could probably do away with that second sentence entirely, to be honest.

Sidenote, but I can't help but feel Gael is being a bit optimistic about how accepting people will be of Ilami if they find this out. Sure, Aleveri healed Gael, but healing your academic rival with is very different from supporting a friend after they tell you they're a killer. I'm not saying she wouldn't come round when she learnt the full story, but I think Gael is overestimating how well she'd react. Considering how smart he's supposed to be, I'd expect him to be a bit more realistic about things.

‘I should burn you,’ she said with sugar on top.

I get what you're going for here, but it sounds a bit strange. Maybe you could have something along the lines of:

‘I should burn you,’ she said, her voice honeyed.

‘I should burn you,’ she said, with false sweetness.

‘I do have to wonder though - why did the man want you to kill him? I mean, I know he couldn’t kill you, but he could escape, couldn’t he?’

This is the question that should've come a lot earlier. I'd expect it to be one of the first things that Gael would ask upon hearing Ilami's explanation.

‘He had a family. They were the reason he became a part of my test - the final one before I entered the academy.’ She sighed. ‘By killing him, I hurt those he loved and who loved him back. With the way he sacrificed himself, it didn’t surprise me.’

Ilami needs to actually clarify that Venaria was holding his family hostage. That's a really crucial bit of info and it's strange she doesn't actually tell Gael about it directly.

"At the very least it'll make me feel less guilty.

Suddenly, it was difficult to breathe.

As I've said in a few of my previous reviews, 'breath' without an 'e' gives you the noun form, not the verb form you need here. You make this error quite regularly, so make sure you watch out for it in future.

She folded her arms. ‘Out of all places, why did you choose Haka’s dorm? Why not go to yours?’

I feel like the end of this chapter loses its punch with this bit of explanation. It's the kind of exchange you could insert into the next chapter when they're actually in Haka's dorm. It would be much more effective if the scene closed with Ilami nodding and wordlessly following after Gael.

Overall Thoughts

1) Hoohoohoo, things are getting exciting. Who is Zivil? Why did Venaria make Ilami kill him? Who is really the bad guy in all of this? All of these questions are finally coming to the fore and I can't predict the answers at all. I can't wait to find out where it's going to lead.

2) I'm confused as to why Gael thinks Venaria has been trying to protect Ilami. Like, I get that she might have denied her Zivil's name to prevent her tracking down the family, but why on earth would she have forced Ilami to kill him in the first place if she was worried about her safety? Like Mea, I'm guessing that Venaria wanted Zivil dead for some reason, but why get her daughter to deliver the blow? Her eleven-year-old, can't-even-summon-a-fire-sword-properly daughter? It's a huge risk, and there's no way that Ilami would be the best assassin that Venaria could find, not with all of her connections and power.

3) I definitely think we need more shock from Gael. However level-headed and non-judgemental he is, I still think he'd be more unnerved than he currently is at the revelation that Ilami had killed someone. He'd definitely be more shocked at the discovery that Venaria had forced her to do it. He's adored the woman until now, been grateful to her beyond measure - I want to see the cognitive dissonance that comes from knowing the person who allowed him into the academy also made her own daughter kill a man.

That's all for now! Things are reeeally hotting up now. This was one of the most exciting chapters so far, though it needs a bit of rejigging just to make sure the conversation progresses naturally. Your tenses are a bit haywire, as well; it seems to be the past perfect that trips you up, so check up on that. Still, minor points. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:36 am
Mea wrote a review...

And I'm back again.

So wow. Now I'm wondering if Venaria wanted Ayesis dead for some reason and that's why she did that. Because I really don't understand why she would put her daughter in danger like that otherwise. If she really wanted Ilami to kill someone, why not have it be someone whose family wouldn't go after Ilami for killing him? I don't quite understand Venaria's logic here.

It was really nice to see Ilami's emotional side. Even though we don't get to see her thoughts, you do a really good job of showing her emotions through her body language.

I really want to see more of Gael's thoughts here, before he asks Ilami. Does he think she was bluffing when she made the threat? Is he afraid that he might be friends with a murderer? What does he think he'll do if it turns out to be true? Is it hard for him to work up the courage to ask her?

I think you could also add a little more emotion immediately after she confesses - what's going through his mind right now? Is he getting a sick feeling in his stomach? Because right now, he just got told that he's being spied on, and now that his new friend has in fact killed a person. He doesn't react very strongly to either of those monumental twists in his life, and this lack of reaction means you're really missing an opportunity to heighten the tension and develop Gael's character. Right now, the whole scene feels a lot flatter because you're missing those emotional reactions.

The lack of emotion is even more conspicuous once Ilami explains that it was her mother who made her do it. Gael should now be completely shocked and a *lot* more concerned about the fact that Ms. Venaria is spying on him. His reassuring Ilami that she's not to blame is very sweet of him and shows how genuine he is, but sympathy for Ilami shouldn't be his only reaction.

That's really my only complaint for this section - other than that, it flowed well and was definitely intense. As always, I'm looking forward to the next part!

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:19 am
GreenTea wrote a review...

Greenteas and salutations my dear friend! 
My name is GreenTea and I'm here to review! I hope none of the constructive criticism will be taken negatively and the positive comments will help inspire you to continue. Let's get into the review!

I kind of jumped straight into this without context, but I'm pretty good at filling in the details. From what I see, I can tell that there might be a little bit of a dynamic relationship blossoming between Goel and Ilami. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like these two have been through a lot. Besides the general plot, I thought you had a good flow in your connecting of paragraphs. You also have a very good vocabulary and that assisted in setting a tone for the story.

Now time for comments!
1) "‘No, it wasn’t that,’ she said, her voice dropping. ‘It was a test. Mother set it up for me. I thought what I should do was beat the guy. When that happened, he told me to kill him. He told me that was the real test - to kill him. I couldn’t believe it - it was so ridiculous - but he was persistent. He was injured. He should escape. Instead he begged me to kill him because it was either that or the both of us live. He couldn’t kill me in that state. If no one died, we failed the test.’ Ilami closed her eyes."
I love the emotion you put in this one paragraph. I could picture her thoughts and you didn't just tell me what she was feeling, you showed me how she was feeling. One comment I do have on this is it would make a little more sense to put a comma in between "instead" and "he begged". It just makes a little more grammatical sense.

2) "Ilami smiled, this time it was firmer. ‘I should burn you,’ she said with sugar on top."
The ending of this bit is a little confusing. Maybe reword it to make more sense?

3) "Suddenly, it was difficult to breath."
I think you meant "breathe" ;).

Well, that’s all I have for now! Hope I gave you a quali-tea review!
再見
Zàijiàn!
~GreenTea

If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.
— W. Edwards Deming