Chapter 8.1: Gael

by Lightsong

[Three days ago]

Gael inspected the patient single-layered green cloth he wore. It hurt. The Serra-blessed nurses had been treating Gael, but it still hurt. Baris surpassed himself today. Gael couldn’t believe Baris dared to break his leg - and for what reason? Gael was determined to conclude he was just another typical bully who liked to torture those inferior in physical strength - he was sure Baris envied his academic performance. He didn’t missed Baris’s dark glares during the class.

Oh well. It was useless to think about Baris now - the staffs must’ve taken actions on him, seeing Ilami had reported the incident to them. All he needed now was just a nice rest. He closed his eye and were about to enter the dreamworld when -

The curtain was pushed aside. Gael opened his eye a little and saw a very worried Haka rushing toward him. Haka took the nearest chair and sat beside him, holding and squeezing his hand. Gael stared at their hands. Sometimes, Haka was oblivious to the limit of interaction between two men. If someone saw their holding hands, they would assume both of them were involved in something sinful. But he was glad. Haka’s touch healed him as much as Aleveri’s - just not literally.

‘The staffs have told me about you,’ Haka said. ‘I’m so sorry. I should be there. I should protect you rather than be selfish. I wasn’t aware -’

‘Haka, stop,’ Gael said, smiling. ‘It’s not your fault. The only people at fault here are Baris and his minions. They’ve been taken care of, don’t worry.’

‘I have to worry. I can’t stop feeling guilty about not being able to do anything while you were - while you -’ Haka looked at him from top to bottom, wincing. He rubbed Gael’s arm slowly.

Totally oblivious, Gael thought, watching him. There was innocence in Haka, despite his capability to beat half a dozen first-year students with his bare hands. He had captured Gael’s attention the first time Gael entered the academy. Gael didn’t doubt Haka would give his all to fight against those who dared to hurt Gael. His endearment to Gael was on a friendly basis, but Gael couldn’t help but wonder if -

He is dangerous. The voice, whispering again. The moment you confess your true feelings to him, he will betray you. Or if he does not, he will leave you. Gael gritted his teeth. This isn’t the time, he thought, trying to shoo away the voice.I’m hurt and he’s guilty. Leave me alone.

No reply. Perhaps the only way to get rid of it was to speak at it. Slowly, Gael put his hand on Haka’s, stopping the rubbing. ‘Don’t worry,’ Gael said. ‘Ilami XieZhi saved me and she promised to teach me how to fight.’

Haka looked up with a frown and Gael felt he had said something wrong. ‘She saved you? And you accepted her offer?’

‘Well,’ Gael said, uncertain, ‘I offered to teach her some advanced spells in return to her training me to fight. Is there something wrong with that?’

‘You should’ve asked me!’ Haka said, prompting Gael to wince. ‘I - I’m your best friend, the one who’s always been there with you the most. Why don’t you just ask me?’

‘I -’ Gael paused, thinking about it. He didn’t expect Haka to react this way, but if he wanted an answer, Gael would give him one. ‘I didn’t ask you because it never crossed my mind. Every time you were with me, I was assured I’d be safe. And because you’d be there to protect me, I didn’t thought of preparing myself with some fighting skills.’ He closed his eyes. ‘I’d say your protection is what made me think it’s enough, but it’s my fault too to not see that you’re not always with me. That at the end, the one who’ll always be with me to protect me is myself.’

Haka was silence. He stared at Gael, his posture still. Being scrutinized that way, Gael shifted his position. ‘I’m sorry for not asking you, but it’s done.’

‘You can always cancel it off,’ Haka said quietly.

Gael only looked down at their hands, hoping they would stay like that. Finally, he heard a sigh. Haka leaned forward and kissed his forehead. He maintained looking down, hoping Haka didn’t see the blush creeping to his cheek. Seriously. Why did Haka so easily show his affection to someone?

‘I won’t force you,’ Haka said. ‘It’s your decision, and I respect it. I’m just glad you’re here and safe. And whatever you say, I will always be there to protect you. Even if you think you can protect yourself, I will do I what I can as a friend.’ He smiled weakly. ‘I’m sorry too for being the reason you don’t have to fight for yourself. It’s just - I’ve lost a friend once. I don’t want to lose it again.’

Haka’s last sentence intrigued Gael. Gael only knew him early this year, and despite being immediate best friends, Haka didn’t talk much about his past. I’ll fixed that, Gael thought. Looking at Haka, he realized something. He wouldn’t want to lose Haka too. And he’d do anything to protect the angel Haka was.

‘This Ilami,’ Haka said casually. ‘Is she good? Is she, um...’ He cleared his throat.

Gael chuckled and rubbed Haka’s hand. ‘She didn’t do much, actually. Just showed up with a fire blade and claimed she’d killed someone, which I doubt is true. Baris wasn’t scared of her, but at that time, he actually used his brain and took the safer option, which was to run away.’

Haka shook his head. ‘That piece of shit. Why can’t he just leave you alone? I know he’d bullied you before we met, Gael. I just don’t know what’s his problem.’

‘Let’s not talk about him. It’s depressing,’ Gael said, waving his hand away. ‘I heard there’s a test coming up for Fighter students. Is it true?’

Haka nodded. ‘In Sesri, the sixth month. How about you?’

Gael’s mouth turned to a flat one. ‘The Scholar students have one, too, though I can’t imagine Quasar Magica holding a written test for us. With its high reputation, I hope it sets a more creative way to test us.’

Haka chuckled. ‘Don’t push it. Maybe you’re better at written test.’

‘How dare you!’ Gael would’ve punched Haka’s shoulder if his arm didn’t hurt too much.

Haka smiled and set Gael’s hand on Gael’s chest. He pushed the chair closer and rested his head on Gael’s shoulder, then he closed his eyes.

‘Aren’t you going to the dorm?’ Gael asked, aware of Haka’s breath tickling his skin.

Haka shook his head slightly. ‘Nope. I don’t feel like being there alone, so I’ll stay here. There’s no class tomorrow, anyway.’

Gael wanted to say he shouldn’t need to do that, but he stopped himself. This was what Haka wanted, and to be frank, Gael needed someone with him, and that would be Haka. The scene with Baris had ended up with him on the medical bed, but it also allowed Haka to express affection to him more. He closed his eyes. He knew there was no chance for Haka to return the feelings he had on Haka, but Gael let himself be rewarded with these little demonstrations of love... of a friend.

Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:52 am

First Impression: Okayy...soo this was a really wholesome chapter. Ahh, I was worried that maybe we won't see too much of Haka for some time with Gael having to recover and all of these new friends coming in but this chapter is exactly what I needed to see with Haka worried for Gael and them just being normal, very good and totally not in love with each other best friends.

Ooof, well now we get to see the aftermath of that confrontation ever so slightly clearer here as we get to see the viewpoint of the one who was actually injured in it. Well at any rate, this is off to the kind of start I expected it to have, let's see where it ends up going here.

Aww...fun little callback to that earlier crush I see...I have a feeling this chapter is going to be full of those here, what with Haka probably being worried sick about his friend and a little guilt ridden from what happened.

Well...this is going along with that painful sweetness here, and I'm loving it. Scenes like this are always a lot of fun to run into when it comes to a story...soo...well, let's see where this one manages to develop towards.

Hmm...well this is slowly revealing some neat little details about the whole situation here...although now that we have gotten a bit further along, this seems to oddly take place before the previous part? It looks like maybe some of this information should be known already or am I confusing something here?

Hmm, yeah this part is especially interesting. Did Ilami not tell Haka anything at all during her earlier visit or is this taking place before Ilami's visit, and if it is before Ilami's visit then how did Aleveri heal him somehow...this is all a bit of a tangle for me at the moment, but I'm gonna ignore the plot situation and focus on just the scene from here on.

Hmm...an interesting little argument going on here. It looks like Haka maybe doesn't fully trust Ilami or perhaps even more interestingly, he doesn't want Gael going around asking help from someone who is not him....well, at any rate, Gael makes a very logical and accurate point there...so let's see how Haka counters that one, I feel like that answer will reveal a lot about what his true feelings are on the matter.

AHHHHHH...this scene is too cute...I can't take any more...but in all seriousness, I really love how you handled this conversation, it was an important one that the two friends should have had and the way Haka voices his opinion but respects Gael's choice and Gael also hears it out and only points out a logical argument without getting unnecessarily angrily just shows how healthy this friendship is here and its awesome to see just how supportive and respectful they are for each other.

Hmm...well that casual inquiry there makes me think that just maybe Gael will have a happy ending to his little crush here...so that's something to theorize about in the times to come here.

Ooooh, well, I mean its not usually the most exciting thing to talk about tests, but I'm gonna assume at the very least the combat tests must be a bit more fun than the regular tests that we all suffer through at some point.

Aww...a lovely point to end on here...I can't wait to see what's in store for this duo in the next chapter here...this friendship is just too precious and now I'm just actively rooting for these two to get together at some point.

Overall: Overall, this is a pretty solid piece here. I really liked this start to the eight chapter, its a very simple scene but it is something that does a lot for this plot going forward. I think you do an awesome job here. Well that's it for this one soo...until next time :D

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:45 am
Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Lightsong!

Nitpicks

Gael inspected the patient single-layered green cloth he wore. It hurt.

1) Are you trying to say that the cloth is specifically worn by people in the medical ward? It doesn't quite come across. Using 'patient' as an adjective makes it seem like the cloth is considerate and willing to wait for things. Perhaps something like: Gael plucked at his gown, which was the same dingy green worn by all patients in the medical ward.

2) By saying 'it' hurt, it makes it sound like the cloth is hurting, which doesn't makes sense. Maybe substitute it for 'everything hurt'. Or you could specify which parts of Gael hurt the most.

Gael couldn’t believe Baris dared to break his leg

I'm not that convinced by Baris breaking his leg. The leg is harder to break than some parts of the body, and there's no way that Gael wouldn't have noticed that kind of injury earlier. I'd find it more convincing if they'd broken some of Gael's ribs, and perhaps his nose, because they seemed to be focusing on his upper body more than his lower body. If you do want to keep it so that Baris breaks his leg, you'll have to signpost it during the fight and draw attention to when and how it happened.

He didn’t missed Baris’s dark glares during the class.

I think 'didn't' isn't quite the right tense. It makes it seem like Baris has only glared at him on one occasion, even though I'd imagine it's a more general thing that's happened over a period of time. Perhaps something like:

He'd never failed to notice the way Baris glared at him in class.

the staffs

As I've said a few times, 'staff' is a collective noun. The form 'staffs' doesn't exist - unless you're talking about a magical staff, but that's a completely different sense of the word. 'Staff' always refers to a group of people, so you can't have 'one staff' or 'two staffs'. You could only have 'one member of staff'. By itself, 'staff' is inherently plural.

This is a mistake you do keep making, so look out for it in future chapters. The key thing to remember is that 'staff' should never have an 's' on the end.

seeing Ilami had reported the incident

Missing word. 'Seeing as Ilami had reported the incident' would be a more complete way to phrase it.

He closed his eye and were about to enter the dreamworld when -

1) He's presumably going to close both eyes if he's trying to sleep?

2) 'Were' should be 'was'.

3) I agree with Kays that 'dreamworld' is an odd choice. It's too foregrounded. Just say he was about to go to sleep.

saw a very worried Haka

How does he know Haka is worried? This is an opportunity for a bit of characterisation. Are there any telltale changes to Haka's appearance when he's worried? Is his hair a mess? Does he look pale?

It's also worth mentioning that you could just cut 'a very worried'. 'Saw Haka rushing towards him' would make it pretty obvious that Haka was worried about him, because he wouldn't rush unless he was desperate to see Gael was okay.

Haka was oblivious to the limit of interaction between two men.

I think this needs to be clearer. By itself, I don't really know what you mean. From the next line, I'm assuming you mean Haka is oblivious about what is socially acceptable behaviour for two men, so I think you need to clarify that more.

I should be there. I should protect you rather than be selfish. I wasn’t aware -’

1) The tenses aren't quite right in this bit. It should be 'I should have been there. I should've protected you.'

2) I think you should cut the bit about him being selfish. It feels like you're piling on the guilt even where it doesn't make sense. If you left it at 'I should've protected you' then the dialogue would be fine.

‘You can always cancel it off

The phrase would typically be 'you can always call it off'. 'Cancel' doesn't really work here.

Haka leaned forward and kissed his forehead. He maintained looking down, hoping Haka didn’t see the blush creeping to his cheek. Seriously. Why did Haka so easily show his affection to someone?

At this point, I was almost banging my head against the desk. For someone so smart, Gael isn't half stupid sometimes. Male friends might kiss each other in a kind of jokey, affectionate way when they're having a laugh together, but when they're alone? And shaken up? And having an emotional conversation? No. If that isn't a sign that Haka reciprocates Gael's feelings, I don't know what is.

I’ve lost a friend once. I don’t want to lose it again.

'It' isn't the right pronoun here. Replace it with 'one'.

Gael only knew him early this year

Just few minor points. This sentence would read more naturally as:

Gael had only met him earlier in the year.

I’ll fixed that,

Tenses. This should be 'fix'.

He wouldn’t want to lose Haka too.

'Wouldn't' should be 'didn't'.

I know he’d bullied you before we met, Gael.

Should just be 'he'.

Gael’s mouth turned to a flat one.

Expression. 'Gael's mouth flattened' would be neater.

Maybe you’re better at written test.’

Should be 'tests'.

Overall Thoughts

1) I'm going to echo Mea in saying that the choice to write this as a flashback is odd, and I feel like it would be better if we saw it when it occurs chronologically. That's something you can easily sort when you get to redrafting, though, so I'm not too worried about that.

2) It's nice to see Gael and Haka talking again! I really like the two of them - like Kays, I think they're my favourite two characters. At this point, though, I feel like Gael is ignoring blatantly obvious signals that Haka is into him, which is kind of frustrating. If that's deliberate, fair enough. However, if you're trying to paint Haka as just being obliviously friendly, you need to tone him down a bit. Close friends can kiss and cosy up to each other, but they usually only do it light, fun situations, when it's clearly not indicative of anything deeper. If the atmosphere was more serious and vulnerable, I very much doubt that two friends (male friends especially) would be so touchy-feely with each other. It just seems so obviously romantic. You might be able to get away with the kiss on the forehead as a mark of brotherly affection, but resting your head on someone's shoulder after having kissed them positively screams romance to me.

A way to get around this, of course, would be to have Haka come from a different sort of culture, one where kissing and cuddling up to friends was commonplace. That could be a neat explanation for his behaviour and why Gael is certain that it doesn't mean anything. I feel like there has to be a stronger reason for Gael to be in denial, because at the moment Haka couldn't be more obvious unless he was declaring his crush through a megaphone.

3) I think the dialogue between Gael and Haka is a bit too...formal. They're supposed to be best friends, but they don't really come across that way in this chapter. It needs loosening up a bit. Make them jokier. More casual. Even if they're talking about something serious, it doesn't mean they have to talk in a restrained kind of way.

A similar point is that I think their dialogue needs differentiating a bit more. Before, I felt like Haka's voice was distinct, but in this chapter there isn't much of a difference in the way they talk. Think about what kind of phrases they both use, whether they're more likely to use formal or informal language, the rhythm with which they speak. Giving characters a unique voice is one of the main ways to make them feel tangible.

4) I do like seeing scenes like this, ones that are slower and give us more detail about the characters' relationships. They break up the more action-based events of the story nicely, giving us a breather without being tiresome or boring. You're good at getting the balance between fast-paced action and the more meandering scenes, I think.

I'll call the review here. I hope it helped. Looking forward to the next part of the chapter, and still wholeheartedly rooting for Gael and Haka. They both need to get their acts together and talk about how they feel, I think, but life is rarely that simple!

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! Yeah, the thought is to make Haka a touchy type of person where he shows his affection toward someone through his actions no matter if that someone is his friend or not. Hmm, I can see how the resting head crosses the line, and I'm thinking of making it a difference in cultures. I want to make kissing cheek as a way for men where Haka is from to bid farewell. :D

Panikos says...

I like that idea! :)

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:01 am
Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there Lightsong. This is Kays here delving in for another review on this lovely novel of yours because I have the feeling that I'll have enough time to type up the review I wrote in Science class while I'm watching a show or another activity that doesn't require too much attention. With that being said, let's delve right in because I'm quite excited to be back in Gael's perspective and I think Gael and Haka may be two of my favorite characters this far into the novel although I don't dislike Ilami or Aleveri but the friendship or general connection between the two is lovely to read.

I'm interested by the fact that this takes place three days ago? When is three days ago? Three days before whatever ends up happening in the next half of chapter eight? That's probably the first and foremost most confusing aspect of the chapter right off the bat because I'm confused--is this not in chronological order for a reason? Is there information in this chapter that you possibly didn't want the reader to know before because it's important to the future relationship and dynamic of Gael and Haka? The ellipses at the very end in the ending sentence suggest that this love may be more than platonic and instead, romantic but Gael appreciates Haka nonetheless.

I do hope that the two end up being together and romance, especially when not the main focus and instead more of a side-plot because this is fantasy and not straight-up romance (although I don't think you'd be all that bad at that either, that'd be interesting to read) and holds other elements such as the friendship of Gael and Ilami which is what the reader is logically most interested in because Gael and Ilami are alive in God's Assassin but...what about the rest of the gang? That's another point of interest--who lives and who doesn't up to that point? I hope Haka lives.

I wanted to point out a problem I have near the beginning which takes place in the second paragraph and it's the word 'dreamworld' that bugs me. Does this word have any specific significance in this world or does this only mean he's going to sleep? Couldn't quite tell and wanted to be sure. Furthermore, I'm also surprised by this new development in Haka--I didn't know his strength before this and now I wish that in the next draft that there's a better setting up beforehand of his strength so the weight of him not being there (even though Gael and the audience are able to forgive him for not being there) is heavier.

Reading through the whole chapter--I want to know more about Haka and I hope Haka doesn't betray him as Gael suspects that he may after him revealing his true feeling for Haka. While this part is great for character development and I loved this chapter for the relationship between Gael and Haka, there are flaws. Flaws that I can look past at this point and call this one of my favorite chapters but in the second draft, comb over this for grammar errors and try and establish Haka's strength and character a bit more with subtle hints earlier on so this doesn't seem to be out of nowhere and try and gradually work and build on the worldbuilding and try and make the conversation switch to the worldbuilding part of the Fighters and Scholars more smooth and less clunky. All in all, quite enjoyable once again despite the flaws and bit of confusions that I held!

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! There's a retcon going on for the future, so doubt everything you know in God's Assassin. :D

Mea wrote a review...

Hey Light!

It's kind of weird to have a flashback like this, so I'm guessing that you're planning to put this where it belongs chronologically for the second draft, and that it's just a flashback right now because you decided you needed to go back and add a scene.

Haka makes me smile. You're right, he's such a nice guy. You do the romantic tension here very well, with Gael really wanting their relationship to be more but also just glad for their friendship. Your last line in particular works very well. Though from what Haka does, I can't help but wonder if maybe he's not as clueless as Gael thinks he is, and if Haka actually wants the same thing Gael does.

But to be honest, I hadn't gotten the impression before now that Haka was particularly dangerous. I thought he was just a normal student, maybe slightly better than average physically. I think you need to develop the part explain why Gael never asked Haka more, because while it makes sense to me that the idea just never occurred to Gael, I wouldn't have thought Haka could train him. I also don't think the explanation that Gael would need to fight when Haka isn't around makes sense as a reason for Haka not to train him - wouldn't Haka's training make it so he can protect himself when Haka's not around? It was just explained confusingly.

I'm glad you mentioned that they reported Baris to the staff - I was wondering about that, since I didn't think the school would take very kindly to their students beating up each other outside of training.

This isn’t the time, he thought, trying to shoo away the voice. I’m hurt and he’s guilty. Leave me alone.

Using "guilty" makes it sound like you're saying that Haka objectively did do something wrong by not protecting Gael, when Gael clearly doesn't think that. I think you meant to say that Haka "feels guilty".

I heard there’s a test coming up for Fighter students.

This change of topic is a little abrupt, and while I know Gael's being abrupt on purpose, perhaps you could draw more attention to its abruptness. Also, this is the first time we here about the distinction between Fighter students versus Scholar students, and while I really like that and everything makes a lot more sense now, I really think we should have been told that earlier in the story. At this point, we should have a pretty good understanding of how the school works.

And I'll leave it at that! I really enjoyed this part, as usual, especially the character development. Can't wait for the next!

Lightsong says...

Thanks for the review! I've never thought of labelling the types of students there (the idea came to me in this chapter, in fact xD) but I'd definitely revise this for future draft. :D

The most important service rendered by the press and the magazines is that of educating people to approach printed matter with distrust.
— Samuel Butler