Chapter 15.1: Gael

by Lightsong

After Ilami left, Gael decided to spend the rest of the day in the ward. He wasn’t ready to get out again, to face the world he was familiar with. The life of a student didn’t entice him as it once did. What he felt right now was lost. He felt lost. A hole stretched wide inside him and he couldn’t do anything about it. So he did nothing. He laid on the bed, replaying the events unfolded last night.

The sight of Haka’s chest being stabbed repeatedly by the Master had haunted his sleep and forced him out of it a few times. He couldn’t believe it had happened - the sight of Haka being dead was even more absurd. He had always seen Haka as a formidable fighter and was sure he could survive anything. But he couldn’t.

Gael woke up this morning earlier than he used to - earlier than Ilami. He spent the time before the silence in the ward broke to continue dwell on the horrible things that happened.

Shedding a single tear, he wondered how he could be this sad and ponderous. He wasn’t this person. He wasn’t the type to think of sadness or things that attracted it, and even if he did during the rare moments, it was never this long. Perhaps his life had been good and shiny even after his lost of blessing and now was the only time bad stuffs started to happen.

And it happened after he met Ilami. He didn’t want to think of her as the bad luck personification, not after what she’d done for him to the bullies, but she consistently encouraged the curious side of him. Not that it was controlled before - his lonely venture to the Restricted Area proved that spectacularly, but now it seemed easy for him to cross the line, to just seek for answers and truths without worrying about the consequences, the cost.

He rubbed his face. As someone who valued intelligence and knowledge, being curious wasn’t a bad thing. But he was also a human who treasured his life very much, so being careful should be chosen anytime it was paired with curiosity.

Haka. He should worry about Haka right now, not himself. He didn’t have a life-threatening injury. Could they really help Haka when Aleveri was barely maintaining his life? When they separated Haka from her, wasn’t it too late for another treatment? Gael had doubts about the whole healing process as much as he had hopes for it to work. Haka was the most important person in the academy to him.

He was also the person Gael loved, and Gael made sure he know about it before they took him.

Gael closed his eyes. He had whispered his confession to Haka - and for what? Why did he do that when Haka was dying? It wasn’t like it would heal Haka. Maybe it would make him worse. What if Haka woke up and saw Gael under a negative light. What if he viewed what Gael had for him as disgusting, unnatural? Haka represented the toughness and seriousness that people ascribed as the perfect ideal of a man. And from what Gael had seen, those kind of people were the loudest when speaking against people like him.

Gael remembered the news about Danizen, a prominent politician who believed strongly about the concept of diverse love, the way romance wasn’t restricted to just being between a man and a woman. He was a fascinating man. And what had happened to him? Assassinated, done in public during one of his speeches. That was the fate of those who supported controversial beliefs.

Of those who practiced the beliefs? Gael shuddered. They would want to see him tortured, his life force bleeding away from him before giving the mercy of an ending.

But Haka also laughed at life. His eyes smiled mischief. He didn’t care about Gael being a loner, an overly studious person. He was impressed by Gael’s knowledge and didn’t take advantage of that. He didn’t mind if someone wore less than what was accepted - no matter if it was a boy or a girl. And he was ferociously protective of Gael. It frustrated Gael in occasions, but he had to admit, it was endearing. It showed how much Haka cared about him.

He didn’t know how Gael would react to his confession.

There is little time to dwell on unnecessary things, the voice whispered to him suddenly. We have more important things to do, so it is best to accept that boy is lost to you.

‘Can you please shut up?’ Gael snapped, causing Ms. Yera who was passing to turn her head and raise her eyebrow. He smiled apologetically. ‘Just got a bad dream, Miss.’

‘Perhaps you might want to return to your dorm,’ she said, looking around. ‘This ward can make you feel peaceful, but too long here and you’d get bored or uncomfortable.’

He wanted to tell her it was fine, but on second thought, he wouldn’t be able to interact with the voice as freely as he could here. For Serra’s sake. He nodded. ‘Maybe you’re right.’ He rose and exited the place.

Once he arrived at his dorm, he hoped his roommate, Renal, wasn’t in it. He wasn’t disappointed; Renal rarely came back to their room on weekends. He was a game maniac, so he usually went out to the field or other places to play games.

Gael sat on his bed. ‘Alright,’ he said, folding his arms as if there was someone in front of him, ‘what did you mean when you say that?’

About the boy? the voice said. He’s gone. He’ll never want to speak to you again.

Even when it was speaking inside of him, it stung. The chance for what it said to be true was high. He shook his head. ‘No, I wasn’t asking about him.’ He paused. ‘I was asking about what you said in the Restricted Area. It must be done. I’ve seen all of them and you survive in each one. What did you mean?’

Silence took hold before the voice spoke up again. ‘I can read the drops of the future. I foresaw the importance of investigating the Restricted Area and your survival in there.’

Gael shivered. Having a strange voice inside of him was creepy enough; to know it could predict the future was more. ‘Just who- or what - are you?’

Should you have not suspected by now? the voice asked. When did I first speak to you?

‘Three years ago, when I was ten.’ Gael paused. ‘At that time, I thought you were just something playing in my mind as a side effect of me losing my blessing.’ He shook his head and laid on the bed, his hands intertwined on his stomach. ‘After everything you’ve said, not anymore.’

And?

‘I don’t know!’ He sighed. ‘It’s just - you’re another weird part of my life. A random woman erased my blessing and then you started whispering things to me. Things that only I could hear. If I’m not so much a studious person, I would get myself mad thinking about you - how did you enter my mind? Who and what are you? If you can choose whom to share your mind with, why me? I won’t have peace until I get all the answers.’

There is a reason why I did not reveal my identity to you when you were so young. I feared you would not understand, and if you told someone else about me, you would be considered insane. I also could not make sure you would arrive to the academy - like I said, I read the drops of the future. Some drops fall faster than the others, and yet some have glimmers on them. I cannot figure out the right drop that tells your future, but I can choose the one that is most logical.

Gael didn’t say anything. This was the first time the voice talked to him in many sentences, and he knew he had to listen to every it said before deciding what to do with it.

When Venaria went to Siras and found you, it was a stroke of luck for my part. I did not need to instruct you on how to expose Lio’s scheme - she led you to this academy, a place that is ultimately his. However, I was not sure if the academy truly hid something that I feared, so I continued to keep my identity to my self, until yesterday. I knew now his trepidation had been stretched to the extreme and we must stop him.

Gael frowned. ‘Lio’s scheme? Are you talking about the God of Justice, the Master of Earth? But - but that’s impossible. You can’t possibly know him personally.’ The scene of the woman kissing his forehead flashed in his mind as if it was a clue. He took a sharp breath. ‘Unless - unless you’re -’

Yes, the voice said. I am Serra, the Goddess of Wisdom and Mistress of Water. And Lio is not the God of Justice.

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:51 am

First Impression: Well this chapter took a turn or two that I feel is going to make things very interesting going forward. A couple of slightly predictable turns and also one or two very surprising twists that I'm loving at the moment. Great start here to the fifteenth chapter. :D

Hmm, this is a nice moment here for Gael. It also shows the different ways that Ilami and Gael tackle. One could argue that Gael is maybe slighly weaker emotionally and also that Haka means more to him than Aleveri does to Ilami, but I think even in equal circumstances, Ilami is more a person that would try and go out there to deal with her problems, while Gael would want to hide away for a while and think. Its a good point to start this chapter off here.

Well, bad things have certainly started to happen here, and you can see some extra evidence here why he'd be this deeply affected cause it looks like situations like this are pretty new to Gael's life.

Haha...curiosity and the need to live on as a human being don't always end up going together, especially when you're in a magic school where more than one person has died before and death is supposed to be inevitable almost for those who aren't strong enough to fight.

Hmm....Gael is having thoughts along the same lines as anyone would in a scenario like that, so no surprises there, just food for thought about what Jaxin might be playing at here....but then that little detail towards the very end is intriguing. We didn't actively here him say anything, but did this man just do a confession before Haka was taken away. It would make sense, a situation like that does tend to make you give up your secrets.

Okayy...well so the whispered conversation technique certainly has happened and well, we're diving into some heavy topics about this world and Gael as he does quite a lot lately, doubts himself and imagines all the horrible ways that things could go for him here and how Haka might react should he survive. It adding quite a bit more depth to this part of the story and I love that.

Hmm, well this is a nice little summary there of the moments that Gael seems to have sort of fallen in love there...its a lovely little compilation of the greatest moments in their friendship almost and that's another lovely paragraph here.

OOooh the mysterious voice makes a comeback. I was wondering when it was going to try and interfere with the Restricted Area situation, but that didn't quite happen, and now here we see it finally appear now that he's confessed his feelings when the voice explicitly warned him against that.

OKayyy...that was a smart decision by Gael there to go someplace he could actually talk with the voice freely and not get strange looks. I have a feeling that does mean a very interesting conversation with this voice is coming rather soon here and I don't know if it will be good or bad.

Wow, that was a brutal moment, just straight up it appears that Haka is lost to Gael forever. I think possibly its a lie, but still that was quite a powerful statement. And then also we have something that sounds very prophetic and so the voice did say something inside the restricted area. Well this just got even more interesting here.

Okayy...so it almost seems like this voice is some pretty powerful being that took an interesting in Gael for some reason and then maybe my theory is somewhat true here. I'm gonna just bit it here before its revealed, but I think the woman who took his blessing away and this voice in the head are both the same and both are this Serra deity they keep referring to...well let's see.

OKayy...well this certainly is someone that really knows what they are doing if they took precautions that extended that many years into the future and was conducting a plan at such a length...it's got to be a goddess at least if it isn't Serra.

Yay!! Well we have no confirmation about whoever took away poor Gael's powers, but the voice in his head is confirmed as Serra....well I suspected that for some time now, and its great to see that it is in fact true. This is a pretty nicely done reveal here I think. It certainly opens up a lot and know this declaration of how something very bad is definitely happening inside this academy is also going to make this plot very interesting indeed.

Overall: Overall, I think a pretty solid start here to this chapter, with lots of very interesting points getting tossed about and I am very excited to get to the remaining half of this chapter and see how this news ends up being received here. :D

Mea wrote a review...

Oooooooooh wow. Wow wow wow.

So it's Serra talking to him. I really had no idea who it was before, but it totally makes sense and is still completely unexpected. You pull off the reveal perfectly - that last paragraph, especially the last sentence, raises so many questions and has so totally hooked me.

But first, let's talk about the first half of this chapter, before Serra starts talking to Gael. This is a really low point for Gael. His worried and afraid and bitterly regrets what's happened in the last day or so. You do a really good job of taking us through his though process, but I don't want to just know what he's thinking - I also want to feel what he's feeling. You can do this by making each sentence more evocative, with stronger verbs, and also by showing body language. To take your opening paragraph, try something like this:

As Ilami left, Gael turned over on his bed, pulling the blankets up around him. He wasn’t ready to leave. He couldn't go back to his life as a student. Not after this. He was lost. A hole stretched wide inside him and he couldn’t do anything about it. So he did nothing.

The concrete detail of him turning over in bed shows us that he's not ready to leave, and also implies that he's unhappy. Also, shorter sentences tend to pack more emotional power, especially when the main character is feeling down like this.

This was an example of what didn't really work for me. As this was before he really started thinking about his feelings about everything that happened, from what he told Haka to the effect Ilami has had on him, it feels like you're jumping ahead to say that he's being sad and ponderous - we haven't seen him acting sad and ponderous yet.

Gael remembered the news about Danizen, a prominent politician who believed strongly about the concept of diverse love, the way romance wasn’t restricted to just being between a man and a woman.

This and the next few paragraphs, up until Serra interrupts him, were really good. They showed his sadness and his hope and how much he cares about Haka. This is the kind of stuff I want to see. :)

I liked that Gael snaps at Serra when she first starts talking, and I think that although it's good that you transition away from him wallowing in sadness, you could highlight just a little bit more that he's still feeling those emotions even when he's talking to Serra. The balance works pretty well, but it almost feels like he goes back to normal just a little too quickly.

And that's all I've got for this one! On to the next.

Panikos wrote a review...

Hiya, Lightsong. Pan dropping in to review. From now on, I'm going to be in a perpetual state of anxiety as far as this story goes, what with all your talk about killing off characters. Still, I'll power through it and get to critiquing. As usual, I'll strike out anything you don't need and make small grammar corrections in blue.

Small Comments

He laid on the bed, replaying the events that unfolded last night.

Gael woke up this morning earlier than he used to - earlier than Ilami.

I thought Ilami had left the ward? How would he know he'd woken earlier than her?

Shedding a single tear, he wondered how he could be this sad and ponderous. He wasn’t this person. He wasn’t the type to think of sadness or things that attracted it, and even if he did during the rare moments, it was never this long.

I don't find this bit very realistic. He just almost died. He just killed someone. The best friend he's halfway in love with is on the brink of death and he has no way of finding out if he's getting better or not. I think Gael has perfect reason to be out of sorts, and as awful as it might feel, I don't think he'd be confused as to why he was feeling so bad.

Perhaps his life had been good and shiny even after his loss of blessing and now was the only time bad stuff started to happen.

A few grammatical/spelling issues, but I think this sentence could also be expressed more clearly. Maybe have something along the lines of:

He'd thought his life so terrible after he'd lost his blessing, but now those troubles seemed minute. They were nothing compared to this.

Something like that, anyway.

He was also the person Gael loved, and Gael had made sure he knew about that before they took him.

Did we see that? I guess not. It would've been quite good to see a moment like that, but I suppose it doesn't fully count if Haka was unconscious.

What if Haka woke up and saw Gael under a negative light? What if he viewed what Gael had for him as disgusting, unnatural? Haka represented the toughness and seriousness that people ascribed as the perfect ideal of a man. And from what Gael had seen, those kind of people were the loudest when speaking against people like him.

It hurts my heart to hear Gael talking like this. I can't believe Haka would ever treat him like that, but I can see why Gael would be so afraid of letting him know the truth.

Gael remembered the news about Danizen, a prominent politician who believed strongly in the concept of diverse love, the way romance wasn’t restricted to just being between a man and a woman. He was a fascinating man. And what had happened to him? Assassinated, done in public during one of his speeches. That was the fate of those who supported controversial beliefs.

This is a particularly good paragraph and an example of great telling. It really goes a long way to explaining Gael's fear, and it makes the world of the story a lot easier to relate to our own (though I wish intolerance towards different sexualities was purely fictional). I always think it's important for fantasy stories to have some alignment with the real world somewhere, because it makes them more powerful and more accessible.

‘This ward can make you feel peaceful, but too long here and you’ll get bored or uncomfortable.’

The would/will conundrum strikes again.

He wanted to tell her it was fine, but on second thoughts, he wouldn’t be able to interact with the voice as freely as he could here.

I'm really starting to dislike this voice...

If I’m not so much a studious person, I would get myself mad thinking about you

Expression is off here. Did you mean 'If I wasn't such a studious person, I would've sent myself mad thinking about you'? I assume that's what you meant, but I don't really get the logic. I actually think a studious person would be more likely to go mad from something like this, because academic-minded people tend to be really focused on details and understanding things and finding answers. They need explanations for anything they find unusual or else it grates on them.

However, I was not sure if the academy truly hid something that I feared, so I continued to keep my identity to myself, until yesterday. I know now his trepidation has been stretched to the extreme and we must stop him.

Woooooaahhhhh! Wham ending! I actually don't think you need the emphasis on 'not' - the sentence has enough impact as it is. I feel like this should be the ending of a whole chapter, not just a half-chapter.

Overall Thoughts

1) This is definitely one of the best chapters for a long time. It starts a little slowly, what with Gael ruminating over his feelings and his sadness, but the intrigue really builds once the voice starts speaking to him and it all snowballs towards a great ending. I did call it! Back in 13.2, I did guess that one of the Naturals was speaking to him. Maybe it's worth tweaking that chapter so it doesn't give it away so easily. Because Gael prays to the Naturals and then the voice immediately starts speaking to him, the link seemed fairly obvious. Up until that point, I hadn't guessed at all. It would be good to keep the reader in the dark right the way through, so that when the twist is revealed in this chapter, it really does come as a shock. Up to you, though - the chapter is still really good.

2) I didn't guess that Lio would be involved in it all, either! But at the same time I can see the foreshadowing; you mentioned Lio in some of the extracts that talked about human enhancement, so I can see that you were setting them up as a shady character. You handled that really well. It raises the question, of course, of who the God of Justice really is. Did Lio kill them? How did they manage to get away with that? Are the other Naturals weakened? And why did Serra take Gael's blessing before she started to speak to him?

3) Even though there are still a few expression hiccups, I felt like the writing and the dialogue was a lot stronger in this chapter on the whole. It felt more polished. The exchange between Gael and Serra at the end is particularly strong.

4) As far as improvement goes, I think the first half of the chapter is where you need to focus your attention. I don't quite buy Gael's sadness. There are good moments - when he's talking about his feelings for Haka and touches on what happened to Danizen, for instance - but the early paragraphs just feel a bit...bland, I suppose. I don't really relate to his listlessness and anxiety. I feel like if you had a way of showing how he deals with his emotions rather than just describing it paragraph by paragraph, it might be better. I don't know. I just didn't fully connect to him or feel the impact of what he'd been through as strongly as I'd have liked to.

Nevertheless, this was a great chapter. I love that you've taken this in a direction I wasn't fully expecting. I can't think what's going to happen next, though I'm hoping we get some answers about why Gael is so important and why he lost his blessing in the first place. I feel like all of the religion-related worldbuilding you've done so far is really going to start paying off now the gods themselves are coming into the story.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet