Chapter 4.1: Felaris

by Lightsong

Felaris watched as the girl - Ilami, she had said - moved into the group. Her oval face and silver hair reminded Felaris too much of her brother, Alyosha XieZhi. Felaris gritted her teeth and closed her eyes. She could remember her brother Arafel’s words. It’s Alyosha. It’s his fault! He kept repeating those words until he died.

She remembered the way he looked when he was dying. White bubbles invaded his face as if he was a boiling pot. His lips were dry and pale, and his eyes - they darted up and below, right and left. He smelled of disease - pungent smile you could find in the drain. She didn’t know what happened to him, but her parents had already screaming and yelling to the teachers, demanding what had happened to their son while she kept repeating his name - ArafelArafelArafel - as if it was a healing mantra.

Once she looked away from him and saw Alyosha nearby. His face was cast downward, his mouth curled down, but she could see his eyes. They sparkled, as if there was something brilliant about what was happening with her brother. When she looked back at Arafel, his horrible face was all she could see. She couldn’t bear to see the burn marks on his body, the puss coming out from them. What had happened to you? she thought. Come back. Come back, brother.

She opened her eyes and saw Alyosha’s sister in front of her, acting as if nothing happened. As if Arafel’s death was an insignificant part of history. She clenched her hands and made a move forward. Then, a hand grabbed her shoulder. She looked at her side and saw her friend Veris shaking his head.

He was there when they met Arafel. ‘Don’t,’ he whispered. ‘Not here, not now, and certainly not when there’s no reason too.’

‘That’s Alyosha’s sister we’re talking about,’ she hissed. ‘I have every reason to hurt her. Just like her brother did to mine.’

Veris took a deep breath. ‘We don’t lunge on people like barbarians.’ He patted her shoulder. ‘We’d corner her when no one’s around.’

Seya, a short-haired girl approached them. ‘He’s right, Felaris.’

Felaris pulled her face, but she relented. She cleared the red strings of hair covering her forehead. Veris was right. She shouldn’t act reckless. She watched as Ilami took a sword from Mr. Haifei. The teacher turned to them. ‘Who would like to fight Ilami?’ he asked. ‘If no one volunteers, I’d pick one myself.’

Felaris frowned and glanced at Veris. He shook his head. When she turned to Seya, the girl mouthed not now. But if she volunteered, it wouldn’t be an act of recklessness. She was just… helping a friend. She sneered at the thought of it. Maybe she could kill Ilami in their fight. ‘I volunteered!’ she said, raising her hand.

Mr. Haifei studied her and the sword she held. After a few seconds of silence, he nodded and turned to Ilami. ‘Mrs. Felaris Ashav would be your opponent.’

Ilami nodded and looked at Felaris as the latter stepped forward and stood in a ready position. Ilami stood with her feet close to each other. Instead of holding the tip of the sword at the front, she had it backward, holding the handle in a reverse position. The pose was better suited if you used a dagger - it was a Moon Dance. Felaris smirked at that. She assumed the Sun Dance position - widening her legs for better stability, the tip of the sword pointed at Ilami.

She lunged forward, raising the sword at Ilami. As she struck, Ilami spun, her sword clashing with it. She threw her sword to her left hand and spun some more. Felaris blocked with her sword. Moon Dance was a complicated technique. It didn’t let you to push your sword to your opponent; instead, you had to spin to strike your opponent on your side. Not many people could master it since it required both hands so that you didn’t have to spin in the same direction. The strength of a Moon Dance was that your spin confused the enemy, making them unable to strike you when you kept moving.

The moves you could make with it are limited, however, Felaris noted. Moon Dance is best used mixed with other techniques. She lowered herself and struck low at Ilami’s feet. The latter barely dodged it in the midst of her spin, and Felaris smiled. Ilami wasn’t fast enough to guard the lower half of her body.

Felaris struck again and again, made sure the strikes aimed at Ilami’s upper body. Sun Dance was terrible for defense, but it allowed you to focus on your offense. It was a simple technique, almost like fencing. You barely moved, stepping forward only to press your enemy, and the center of your action was solely on your hands. As she released several more strikes, she lowered herself again and struck at Ilami’s feet. The tip met her ankle and they stopped. Felaris just got her first score.

‘If this a real fight, you’d be dead,’ she hissed at Ilami.

Ilami kept her face expressionless. She lunged at Felaris, spinning at her and in the middle of it, moved the side of her sword at her. Felaris easily blocked it. Ilami threw her sword, but instead of letting it fall to her left hand, she gripped the handle in the normal position. Felaris widened her eyes as Ilami released strikes at her using Sun Dance technique, taking the close distance between them as advantage. Felaris quickly raised her sword to block them.

When two sword wielders assumed the same technique - in this case, Sun Dance - it was easier to pinpoint the weakness as you would be careful to cover your own. Sun Dancers used a lot of energy when they attacked, as they attacked without stop, aiming at the spots their opponents didn’t guard. But because of that, they’d need to take a break after their attack. Felaris blocked Ilami’s attacks with her own Sun Dance strikes, but put less energy into them. The fighting would be seemed in Ilami’s favour, but once she rested - and expected Felaris to do the same - that was when Felaris would strike.

After giving the last strike, Ilami held back her sword, slightly panting. Felaris acted as if she was about to do the same before she raised it again and struck Ilami at the shoulder. Second point she got. She sneered. ‘Is this all the principal’s daughter has?’

Ilami clenched her jaw and lunged at her. Felaris quickly blocked her sword, but instead of withdrawing, Ilami pushed against Felaris. Felaris pushed back and saw the smile creeping to Ilami’s face. Suddenly, Ilami released her sword and sidestepped, causing Felaris to be propelled by her own force forward. She fell to the ground and as she turned back to strike Ilami, a dagger touched her neck.

‘That is enough!’ Mr. Haifei said.

The dagger left Felaris and she stood up in haste. She glared at Ilami, who had picked the dagger from the strap around her leggings.

‘You are not supposed to use the dagger, Mrs. Ilami,’ Mr. Haifei said, giving a sharp stare at Ilami.

Ilami’s composure was unfazed. ‘I’m sorry, teacher, but there’s no such thing as fairness in a real fight,’ she said, the words rolling out of her mouth smoothly. ‘She overpowers me; if I’m to stay with my sword, I’d be dead.’

Felaris gritted her teeth. First day in school and Ilami had acted like she owned this academy. ‘We’re training here,’ she said.

Ilami was about to open her mouth when a moment of silence passed. ‘You’re right. I apologize,’ she said, making a low bow, surprising Felaris. ‘I would remember that next time.’

‘Both of you can go back to the group now.’ Mr. Haifei glared at Ilami. ‘Mrs. Ilami, meet me after this.’

Both of them went back into the group. This time, Ilami stayed farther from Felaris. Perhaps she had sensed the unusual enmity from Felaris. Good. She should watch her back from now.

‘She has a better control of herself than you,’ Veris whispered. ‘You grab the first chance you have to fight her without thinking about the consequence. She could argue more than she had, but she knew she shouldn’t cross the line. I don’t like to admit this, but there’s a trace of Alyosha in her.’

Felaris turned her attenton to Mr. Haifei. ‘More reason to make her pay.’

Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:44 am

First Impression: Okayy..so..our first sort of villain situation being brought up here, although I'm guessing maybe this is more school rival of sorts rather than full villain, but then she does want to kill Ilami so maybe not. Definitely gives you even more things to about here this one.

Oh wow, this chapter is off to quite the start. First of all we have this very different character being the POV, which is the third one we've had so far, so this is another bit of an introduction almost which is a bit rare to see as late as the fourth chapter but this is starting off nicely. Right away we've got ourselves a tragic backstory that somehow seems tied to Ilami or rather her brother.

Hmm so it looks like that one maybe did some sort of experimental magic or something that went very wrong and ended up causing a death and this Alyosha didn't even look particular regretful about it. Now it appears Felaris wants to get revenge for that here...well...I suppose death threats are even more common and real in this academy than I initially thought.

Well...I wouldn't say this is a right thing to do, but this one has more reasons than most to be thinking like that, considering she does have to be pretty young too, so that sort of emotion is probably very strong. Although her friends all seem to be part of a bit of gang of bullies if their tactics have anything to say about how they usually behave.

Hmm...some proper evil thinking going on there, although it is still a very reckless move to make. I'm getting distinct straight up evil vibes here...maybe, at least from the bit we know, Felaris seems like the sort of person that would do at least a couple of failed attempted murders in the times to come.

Oooh...cool looks like we've got some names for the different fighting style. I love seeing little details like that being mentioned. Its those tiny little things that can really make a story seem alive. :D

Hmm, that does seem like a bit of an odd fighting technique, doesn't sound reliable and I think Felaris' thoughts there of it also seem to be along those lines. Its an interesting little contrast being brought up there, and you can see that Ilami is a pretty inexperienced fighter judging by how she's having a bit of trouble there.

Hmm..that just sounds like a bit of a terrible technique in general. Footwork is very important to a good swordfight, so limiting that sounds like its a recipe for disaster at the hands of someone experienced, but in theory this little fight here makes sense, you distract your opponent into focusing on a pattern and mage a sudden lunge elsewhere, its a tried and tested technique in a lot more than just swordfighting. The little bit of trashtack is distinctly a childish thing to do and I love that cause we're reminded of the ages we're talking about here.

Risky move there, throwing a sword in order to change technique sounds like a unnecessary flashy move, or I suppose once again what someone inexperienced would do, so this all coming together quite nicely here. And it looks like Ilami's been trained in both techniques here, so its interesting why she chose that other technique earlier.

Hmm, a little too wordy there, I feel like you can show this very easily with where the fight goes. That bit of explanation about the Sun Dance at this point feels like a bit too much and it dips into the territory of the ol' infodump, which you don't want. Although hmm, I'm liking the sneaky tactics employed by Felaris here, she seems to have a lot more experience than Ilami at any rate, given how Ilami can't see any of these coming but she comes up with more than one trick here.

Not sure you'd have enough force to fall to the ground in a situation like that, its a bit hard to imagine that final move there. Its a bit shaky, but I like it. Ilami finally gets in a bit of a win there through a super sneaky technique that I'm quite sure is probably illegal in a training fight like that. Also more of that classic sneer....ahhh...the best friend of every budding school aged villain.

‘That is enough!’ Mr. Haifei said.

Hmm, good advice for a fight, but yeah, nope the teacher is very much correct there, you're not in a fight to the death here...so that would be considered unfair to use.

Hmm...I wonder what Ilami was going to do there....its an interesting little scene, like she was about to drop herself to the same level as Felaris and her taunting but then decided to take the high road, which seemed to have been a good move on her part as Felaris didn't have a comeback to that one.

Hmm..well, let's see here...at this point, Felaris does seem to be drifting towards being a bit of a bad person, although her reasons are pretty valid, and Ilami has been shown to be treading that line between good and questionable...so this should be very interesting going forward. This also feels strangely like the end of this chapter, its an oddly fitting point here, but well, I suppose this chapter isn't quite done just yet.

Overall: Overall, this is going in a pretty interesting direction here, and I do like the direction this story appears to be going in. We're getting right away into all sorts of problems right from Ilami's first day here and it makes this plot really get going. At any rate, as usual, I'll give a more overall picture of the chapter at the end of it :D

Brigadier wrote a review...

This chapter brings about the drama and archenemy I was looking for, only in the reverse of how it is commonly presented. Usually it's the rich kid who makes it their personal mission to make this other student's life hell but with the roles reversed, I can see this getting interesting fast. There's slight lines here that make it tilt towards the neutral zone, how in action novels the two enemies get together to fight a greater enemy. I don't know if that's going to apply to your novel or not, that's just one the possibilities I see going down the road.

This scene actually reminds me of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets combined with the Hunger Games. Like the class focusing on dueling and the dramatic volunteering. I probably should not have mentioned those connections that I made, considering I wouldn't want to group your story in with those, but it was just something I was thinking about while reading.

The backstory is a bit info dumpy and if you wanted to keep it within this chapter, it could be easily done. Just split it up a bit and perhaps even have Felaris have flashbacks during the fight. I find that the highly emotional introduction of memories and tragic backstories, have more of an effect than the spotting enemy out of the corner of their eye. Or maybe even have her say something to Illami during the fight. Though that's tilting towards even more dramatic so don't think it falls in pace with the rest of the work.

So that's really all I've got. I'm starting to enjoy the chapters now as the plot falls into place.

Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:44 am
Virgil wrote a review...

Hi there Lightsong. This is Kays here dropping in for her daily review seeing as she's been busy for the rest of the day but she is here now to be able to stay in Team Tortoise. Without further ado, let's review.

As always, DarkPandemonium does a great job at catching a lot of the grammar errors throughout so I won't go too much into that. Instead, let's talk about what goes on during the chapter. I see that this chapter picks up where the last picked off--Felaris is a classmate of Ilami and...Gael? Is Gael in this class? I know for sure Felaris is a classmate of Ilami at least. I'm a little confused by the beginning paragraph--are Aiyosha and Arafel both her brothers? Does she have two brothers and Arafel is the one that passed away? That part is a bit confusing.

Moving on from that, I have a slight prediction that Felaris will end up dying? Or that Felaris will end up having a fate that isn't connected to Ilami and Gael in the end because as far as I remember, Felaris wasn't in God's Assassin. I'm interested most in how her character will end up growing in her case and what her fate will be in the end because we know about Ilami and Gael in the future than Felaris. At the same time, I do want to know more about Ilami and Gael in the past because we didn't exactly get to know their childhoods or backstories. That's what I love about this so far--the set-up that comes with the characters and how I already know two of the main characters and there's a new one being introduced--an interesting way to mix the story up.

The best part of the chapter is probably the sword fight? I realize later in the chapter that Aiyosha is Felaris's brother but that's only because the information is repeated. I almost want to say that the backstory of Felaris and her brother and all that isn't executed as well as the backstory can be? I'd love to see that aspect revised especially because Felaris seems to have an almost traumatic past. Going back to the highlight of the chapter, the sword fight and the tension between Felaris and Ilami is done well and the thought process of Felaris during the fight with the different techniques is fun.

Felaris is even almost an antagonist to Ilami in the way that because Ilami gives a hint of her brother Aiyoshi. As of now, Felaris's character seems a little unstable, angry, vengeful, and all of that makes for an interesting perspective thus far but ths chapter definitely can be done better with revision and editing on how it's executed.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Panikos wrote a review...

Hi, Lightsong. Back again to review.

I really enjoyed this section. Even though Ilami is the main character, I think I find chapters from other characters' perspectives a bit more engaging at the moment. I'm interested to know how Alyosha was responsible for Felaris' brother's death - if indeed he was; I do wonder if there's more to the story than meets the eye.

Mea and MJ have covered some of the things I noticed, notably your use of 'would' rather than 'will', so I won't harp on about that in the nitpicks. Your writing does seem to be coming more into its own as the story progresses, so I shouldn't have quite as much to point out.

Nitpicks

Her oval face and silver hair reminded Felaris too much of her brother, Alyosha XieZhi.

This line is a little confusing, because it almost reads like Ilami reminds Felaris of Felaris' brother. Readers might not recognise Alyosha's name seeing as he's only been mentioned once in passing. If you substituted it with something like:

She had Alyosha's oval face and silver hair.

That would be a bit clearer, but it communicates the same thing. You don't need to remind us that Alyosha is Ilami's brother, because that will become clear as the chapter goes on.

Note: I also don't like the use of Alyosha's full name in the original quote - it feels too formal, so you lose the sense of hatred Felaris has for him.

White bubbles invaded his face as if he was a boiling pot.

I think this just needs a bit of tweaking as a metaphor. It sounds like you're comparing him to the boiling pot, when actually you should be comparing him to the liquid in a boiling pot. Something like: white bubbles had invaded his face like the liquid in a boiling pot or even his face bubbled like boiling liquid would be a lot clearer.

She remembered the way he had looked when he was dying. White bubbles had invaded his face like the liquid in a boiling pot. His lips had been dry and pale, and his eyes - they had darted up and down, right and left. He'd smelled of disease - the pungent smell you could find in the drain. She hadn't known what had happened to him, but her parents had already screamed and yelled to the teachers, demanding to know what had happened to their son while she kept repeating his name - ArafelArafelArafel - as if it was a healing mantra.

Once she had looked away from him she had seen Alyosha nearby. His face had been cast downward, his mouth curled down, but she had seen his eyes. They had sparkled, as if there was something brilliant about what was happening to her brother. When she had looked back at Arafel, his horrible face was all she had been able to see. She hadn't been able to bear seeing the burn marks on his body, the pus coming out from them. What had happened to you? she had thought. Come back. Come back, brother.

Elaborating on what MJ said, this passage should be in the past perfect tense rather than just the past tense. I've put tense changes and other minor alterations in bold. The past perfect puts the events even further back in time, so it makes it clear that she's recalling something that has already happened.

(Sidenote: love the line about her repeating Arafel's name as if it was a healing mantra).

As if Arafel’s death was an insignificant part of history

I've read the piece about three times now and this stood out as weird to me every time. It's the 'part of history' part that makes it seem out of place - like she's acting like it's a historical event or something. I think: As if Arafel’s death was insignificant would be clearer and more natural-sounding.

She clenched her hands and made a move forward. Then, a hand grabbed her shoulder.

1) Just say 'moved'. 'Made a move' is an unnecessary number of words.

2) Delete the comma after 'Then'.

He was there when they met Arafel.

Met Arafel? What do you mean? Do you mean that he was there when they found him dying?

Put a comma after 'girl'.

‘I volunteered!’ she said

Should just be 'volunteer'.

Instead of holding the tip of the sword at the front, she had it backward, holding the handle in a reverse position.

This bit confused me. I've just gone on Google images and looked up the reverse position, so I think I know what you're trying to go for, but the 'holding the tip of the sword' part really throws it off. It make it sound like Ilami is holding the blade or something. If you just said something like:

Ilami held the sword handle in reverse position, the blade pointing behind her.

That's a bit clearer. I don't know personally enough about sword fighting to know whether it's feasible she would hold the sword in that way, so I'll trust you on it.

As she struck, Ilami spun, her sword clashing with it.

You haven't established what 'it' refers to so this is a bit confusing. If you had 'her sword clashing against Ilami's' or 'their swords clashing together' then it would read more smoothly.

The moves you could make with it are limited, however, Felaris noted.

Should be 'can'.

Felaris struck again and again, made sure the strikes aimed at Ilami’s upper body.

Minor grammar errors. Should be something like:

Felaris struck again and again, making sure the strikes were aimed at Ilami’s upper body.

'If this a real fight, you’d be dead,’ she hissed at Ilami.

Missing word. Should be a 'was' in there.

But because of that, they’d need to take a break after their attack.

Another minor grammar point. This would be better expressed as:

But because of that, they needed to take breaks after their attacks.

Mr. Haifei said, giving a sharp stare at Ilami.

Expression. You don't really 'give a stare'. You just stare. 'Staring at Ilami' would work.

‘She overpowers me; if I’m to stay with my sword, I’d be dead.’

Should be 'I was' rather than 'I'm'.

making a low bow

You don't make a bow, you just bow. This needs rewording.

This time, Ilami stayed farther from Felaris.

Minor issue. Did you mean to say this?

This time, Ilami stayed farther away from Felaris.

Or this?

This time, Ilami strayed farther from Felaris.

Either would work.

without thinking about the consequence

I'd stick an 's' onto 'consequence'. There'd be more than one consequence for rushing in to fight her unprepared.

"...She could argue more than she had..."

Don't get what you mean by this bit.

Overall Thoughts

1) I really like the backstory with Felaris' brother, but I feel like you miss a trick by telling us all of the details so quickly. If you only hinted at what happened with Arafel in this chapter, letting us know that Felaris has a grudge against Ilami but not precisely why, I think it would actually be more intriguing. It is your decision, obviously, but there are a lot of virtues in holding your cards to your chest.

It can also be dangerous to push backstory onto the reader before they know the character in question properly. It makes it harder to take in. Waiting a chapter or two can make the reveal a lot more emotional.

2) The sparring scene is really good and I love the thought you've put into the different fighting techniques (though I can't personally speak for realism), but some of the language gets a little repetitive. I noticed that you used 'blocked' a lot, and I felt your verbs weren't quite varied enough throughout the whole passage. The difficult thing with writing fight scenes is walking the fine line between clarity and clinicalness - the description still needs to have a sense of rawness, but it can't be too vague. I'd like to have seen a bit more use of the senses in the description, especially touch. Maybe talk a bit more about the weight of the sword in Felaris' hand and the sweat from the exertion - more physical sensations to do with fighting.

3) I like Felaris and I feel like she's going to be a very interesting character. Something tells me she's biting off a bit more than she can chew with Ilami; personal grudges aside, their personalities seem to be the sort that would clash. I hope that you develop Felaris' friends, as well, because Veris intrigued me even with his small amount of dialogue.

Hope this helped! I'll read and review the next part of chapter four soon. I'm struggling to get my head into critiquing at the moment, but I'm determined to keep up with this. It's getting really interesting.

Keep writing! :D
~Pan

Atticus wrote a review...

Hey there! MJ stopping by to keep reviewing this series :)

her parents had alreadyrun screaming and yelling to the teachers,

Sun Dance was terrible for defense, but it allowed you to focus on your offense
I don't think that 'but' is the best adverb to use here. I think that it would be better if you said 'since', because there's not a contradiction there.

The fighting would be seemedto be in Ilami’s favour

I loved the fighting scenes and how vivid and descriptive they were. They gave the reader enough information so that they were never confused without losing the pace and keeping it moving, and that was something that really pushed this story series from good to great.

Now for some critique:
1. You went off on a bit of a tangent in the beginning, and it wasn't really an info-dump, but I would still be careful. I also got confused because the tense wasn't different, so I thought that perhaps this was happening now or had happened recently, and that threw me a little bit. It got a little bit on the longer side since it didn't end up being a main point in the plot, just a motivation for a character, so be aware of that.

2. I would try and introduce only 2 or 3 characters per chapter, simply because it's hard to remember all those characters when they're given to you in only a few paragraphs, and then they blur together and don't develop as distinctly as you would want them to.

Overall, I'm liking how everything is fitting together so far, and tomorrow I'll be back to review the second part of this! I'm really enjoying this series, so keep writing, and if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to clear everything up. Your fighting scenes are superbly done, and you manage to craft very motivated characters and pit them against each other in a show of both physical and emotional strength. Good job!

Best wishes,
MJ

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:03 am
Mea wrote a review...

This was a great chapter. The conflict with Felaris was instantly interesting and her past makes her a great character to interact with Ilami here. It brings life to what would otherwise be a boring training fight.

Her memory of how her brother died was especially powerful and written very well. The vivid detail really conveyed the horror and pain of the memory.

Just a note - your error of using "would" instead of "will" persists in this chapter, so watch out for it.

I like the way you use the combat forms as a shorthand for showing the individual movements of the fight. It's something fairly common in fantasy, but always interesting if done well. The difficulty lies in making those forms at least somewhat realistic - frankly, there are a limited number of useful ways to swing a sword, and if you're not careful you'll wind up with something that looks cool but would get you chopped in half in a second in a real fight. (This reminded me of how it was done in Way of Kings with the stances, but the problem with that is that Shardblades are both much lighter and much larger than normal swords, so you fight with them completely differently from a regular sword. Shardplate only increases the differences. Just be aware of that while you're coming up with stances.)

So I'd recommend doing some research on sword fighting. Right now, my main problem with it is that it got confusing sometimes, and I'm not sure if that's because you're trying to describe a style of sword fighting that's completely unrealistic or if you're just having trouble describing it clearly. (I'm guessing the latter.)

This one place where it doesn't make sense. Why would you hold a sword by the tip? I think you're trying to say that she's holding it like you would a dagger, but there's a reason you hold the two differently - trying to hold a sword that way would put a lot of strain on your wrist, and it wouldn't be very versatile.

Sun Dance was terrible for defense, but it allowed you to focus on your offense. It was a simple technique, almost like fencing. You barely moved, stepping forward only to press your enemy, and the center of your action was solely on your hands.

This actually sounds like a good technique for defense, precisely because you don't move. Somebody who's standing firmly with their legs shoulder width apart is actually really hard to knock over. It's when your weight is off-center or you're shifting constantly that you're easy to knock over. Meanwhile, if you're not moving, your opponent can just step away, and your offense is over.

And that's all I've got for this! I spent most of the time critiquing the fighting stances because really, that was most of what there was to critique outside of grammar errors.

I want to shake off the dust of this one-horse town. I want to explore the world. I want to watch TV in a different time zone. I want to visit strange, exotic malls...I want to live, Marge! Won't you let me live?
— Homer Simpson