12+

Bittersweet [Sugar Sweet Tears #4]

by Charm

Her mind is a fluster of disoriented colors,

and she moves as if she is deep in custard.

* * *

Her eyes are glazed in icing,

and around her is a confusion of sensibility.

* * *

People talk about her in distressed worry,

and her mental state is quickly plunging.

* * *

I am made of sugar,

of the sweetest kind, but

sugar goes bittersweet over time.

KaiRyu wrote a review...

Yolo peoples!!!!!!!LadyRanicorn here for ANOTHER amazing review!!!!!! So first things first, why do you always have to make me cry???? Not in a bad way, I always cry when something that I read is amazing... But why?!?!?!?!?! I absolutely LOVE the topics that you got going here in this series, I love it!!!!! The whole rocky mental state, me all the way!!!XD I really liked how you described the inside of the senile's mind as a "fluster of disoriented colors" it really helps open up the readers mind of descriptive imagery. Not that my mind needed opening up...XD I also enjoyed how you showed that she could go bad, like sugar. I liked how you described her mental state to sugar, sugar is good... Anyway, until next time, LadyRanicorn out!!!!!!!

Charm says...

Thanks! I love hearing your thoughts on my work!

KaiRyu says...

You be welcome!!!!

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:47 am
spectator says...

I was going to write you a review, but all I have to say is that I love this.

~ Summer

Charm says...

Thank you :)

Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, here for

I like the idea you have going on here. It does have that sorta "bittersweet" feeling to it and kinda reminds me of a ghost of a girl who tried to love. You seem to have a nice beginning and a lovely description. However, I feel it confused me in the worst way. Like, I have two sides to how I feel about the beginning. At one side, it feels like you could make some changes while the other side is filled with confusion. I'm walking across a tightrope.

Your third line in the beginning doesn't fit the whole stanza. It seems to be like a rock in the middle of the sea- the waning tide will pull it in. In other words, try adding some different words that'll connect it together. Like a bridge. What I feel about it is some sort of 'sweet' thing with the third line, so perhaps have something dealing with ice cream or something.

As the reviewer said below me, the sudden to change to first person at the last stanza is a bit sudden. It seems almost like a brick wall in the middle of the road. If you write a poem, consist a certain theme or idea. A thought, perhaps. A pure suggestion: when writing a poem, read it aloud. See what words roll off the tongue or what words are strung together to make a certain rhyming pattern.

Overall, I certainly liked this idea and hopefully get to see more from you in the future.

Steggy

Charm says...

Thanks for this review. It's actually part of a series of poetry which would be part of why you are confused, I have fixed it none the less.

Lightsong wrote a review...

Hey, AliceAfternoon. :)

Her footsteps are slow and heavy.

I really like the second and third line of this stanza; they made for interesting imagery. However, in relation to the first line, I notice some kind of contradiction to them. 'slow and heavy' hints of something carefully made, while 'a fluster of disoriented colours' demands an equal show of action. The first imagery doesn't go well with the second. Also, 'fluster' and 'disoriented' suggests similar meanings, so I'd suggest using another word for the second, like 'scattered', because that would make it more literal for the colours instead of them being 'disoriented'. The same could be said for the third line--it relates more to the first rather than the third.

Her eyes are glazed in icing.
Around her is a flurry of reality,
a confusing sight, indeed.

So, the imagery is vague. What is a 'flurry of reality', and how could it be 'a confusing sight'? Also, I'm confused with the connotation in the first line--how could being 'glazed in icing' a bad thing? Icing is sweet, and if your eyes are glazed in it, it can be interpreted as you being happy. It doesn't bode well with the lines after, since they don't explain why her eyes are so, and doesn't deliver its message well.

I am made of sugar,
of the sweetest kind, but
sugar goes bittersweet over time.

The abrupt transition from third person of view to first is rather disturbing here. I could understand if this is meant as a dialogue or monologue, but it doesn't help the flow of the poem. Instead of using 'I', stick with 'she', and you'd still have the same impact, given the italicized part's already emphasizing the lines. Also, the idea of sugar going bittersweet leaves much to be desired, and should be explored a bit more to get a more well-rounded conclusion for this poem.

Anyway, that is all! As a side note, I really don't like the *** you made to break the stanzas. I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but you can separate the line by pressing Shift and Enter to go to the new lines. The symbols you made right now is rather superfluous. That aside, keep up the good job! :D

Charm says...

darkmindedemo wrote a review...

This is a really good start. I personally really like this because of what you are trying to describe. There is some subconscious rhyming and I like it, even though this doesn't have a significant rhyming pattern.

My favorite stanza was "I am made of sugar, of the sweetest kind, but sugar goes bittersweet over time." This is very true and the subconscious rhyming right here is really good.

The stanza "Her mind is a fluster of disoriented colors, and she moves as if she is deep in custard. Her footsteps are slow and heavy." has a lot of imagery. I could see this as if I was in the same room with the person you are talking about. I can see the dragging of their footsteps and how they are so sluggish.

Overall very good job. I usually recommend adding more to poetry just because I prefer longer poetry, but this doesn't really need to be lengthened at all.

Charm says...

Thank you for this review!

That smells like the inside of a tropical rainforest.
— Yoshikrab's friend