The Battle. Chapter 1.

by dogsrule5

I am now an adult. 21 years old to be exact. I didn't remember anything about my childhood, except that my dad died in the battle. I am now fighting in this next battle. Which is going on now. I don't remember anything that happened in my childhood, because I have lost some of my memory, by getting hurt, by the other country in this battle. The battle was full of dead people, and I am surprised I am not dead yet, after being to close to a bomb when it went off. I got knocked to the ground unconscious, and was hardly breathing. I finally got to the nurse, who had healed me. I have to stay in the nurse hut for a few days, then I can go back to the battle field.

***

A few days later I was able to go back into the battle field and continue in the battle. I was running fast shooting my gun at the men and woman from the other country's. It was a blood bath. I mean there was blood everywhere you looked, but I understand, I mean it is a battle. We the United States of America are fighting Germany. Germany has a good army, but I know the United States is going to win this one. My dad died in the battle against Germany. I only got into the army because I of my dad. My dad was tough and brave, and wasn't afraid to kill anyone, and neither am I. I am not afraid of getting hurt, because if I am not dead, I can jump right back into the battle after I am healed. I was always afraid dad as going to die, and one day he did. Now it's my turn to serve this country and win this battle against Germany. I will win, and just like my dad, win the battles of all, until my time will come, then I will no longer serve, but at least I did it while I was an adult and did something good with my life.

***

When I was a little girl, I used to think that the army was a fun place where, you played lazar tag, or paintball, but as I grew older I realized it wasn't. It was a scary thing where men and woman from the country and fought for us, for our freedom, and for our people. I knew my dad was doing this to be good to the world, and all of a sudden I wanted to do it when I was only sixteen years old. I decided that when I as old enough I would join the army and fight for our right, our people. I knew that one day the United States would beat Germany, and that day would come. After this battle is over. The United States won, and Germany was conquered.

Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:20 am

Hi! I'm here to leave a quick review!!!

First Impression: Okay...a decent first chapter here, I did love he title and hence I wanted to check it out...although the biggest issue I see here is the lack of a clear cut premise here...I feel like there could be a bit more happening in this for it to properly reach its full potential here.

Okayy...an interesting start there...a little repetitive almost though...I think its the constant use of "I did blah blah" there, cause it just kinda sounds a little bit off there as you read through it which kind of tends to ruin the image of what is going on here at the start. It is a pretty intense start that we have here with the mention of this person surviving a bomb and just generally being in the middle of a pretty devastating looking battlefield here. Despite that little issue though, it does manage to come off sounding pretty interesting here at the start.

Okay...I'm assuming this in fact referring to the actual war that took place here, and its very nice to see that we get a glimpse of this girl's motivation here...about why she fought in the battles, and well, this is a pretty strong motive here, it does add to her character as well, and that's always a nice touch. Again there is the slight overuse of "I" but it isn't quite as bad as it was in the first one, here we get a better sense of the overall feel of the story here. It definitely seems interesting so far, seems a pretty straightforward premise in this one, and a pretty cool premise too at that.

Okay...so that's a positive note to end that on..although now I am wondering what is actually going to happen in the story...from what happened so far in this chapter, I was expecting to see perhaps the actual war in this story...but now it ends off suggesting the war is over...and so...it feels almost like its done here..it doesn't seem to show much a way forward here...which is a little troubling for a first chapter...it could just be me not noticing things...but uhh I feel like there's not too much promise here for what's to come next.

Overall: Overall, we've got a decent looking first chapter, and since I spotted a prologue, I may take a look at that too here. It needs a few improvements but as it stands, its not a half bad start here. :D

dogsrule5 says...

Thanks for the review! I also responded to the review you left on the prologue! I'm sure this story is very deep in the novel list, so how you found it I have no idea, but I said on my other reply that this a really old story, I wrote it when I was 12, so it's probably not very good! But again, please read on if you wish, and have a great day!
Love, Dogs

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!! And sure, thanks for the info...I may actually read more. :D

dogsrule5 says...

No problem! And go for it if you would like! :D

KateHardy says...

:D

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am
puppys3117 wrote a review...

Hey dogs! Pup back for another (random) review! Everyone else got all the nitpicks, but I found one thing that bothered me a little bit:

...that my dad died in the battle...
...this next battle...
...in this battle...
...The battle was full...
...to the battle...

You can see the repetition of 'battle' in almost every single line! Spice up your vocabulary, this way it will be more interesting. This repetition happens many, many other times, but it would take up too much space and time. Try this on for size:

...that my dad died in the battle...
...this next war...
...in this fight...
...The battle was full...
...to the attack from the other countries...

See how the words weren't all 'battle'? It's special now ^-^ Moving on to the good stuff!

I loved how I was able to vision what was happening. I can imagine the bloodshed - I can see the bomb EXPLODING - I can think about the girl fighting for survival.

I will get to the other chapters ASAP!

Chow!
~puppys3117~

jojoann1 wrote a review...

Hi!!

I have enjoyed this book so far! It tells me that the army isn't all fun and games, it is a war. I have noticed a few mistakes that I want to point out:

I only got into the army because I of my dad.

I noticed that it said "because I of my dad". It was probably a typo, but I just wanted to point it out. I also noticed this little mistake:

I knew my dad was doing this to be good to the world, and all of a sudden I wanted to do it when I was only sixteen years old.

It said "to be good to the world, and all of a sudden I wanted to do it", you don't need that comma next to "world". That may also be a typo, but I just wanted to inform you.

I think that this is going to be a great book and I can't wait to read chapter two. This book has been very well written.

Keep up the good work!

Love,
Jojoann1

WillowPaw1 wrote a review...

All right. Everyone has pretty much summed this up for me.

Slow it down.

So, first she's talking about following her dad's footsteps... Then boom they win the battle. Like... What???? I mean, try and explain all the things she saw, and the pain she felt in her heart when she saw a dead soldier lying on the ground with a bullet wound in his chest. You mentioned blood bath and scary, but we need more emotion. That is a key term right here. Emotion. Feelings. Sympthay. Empathy. Or else it just feels like this whole thing is written by a third grader who had to rush and get his homework assignment done about describing what it would be like to be in a battle. Like... no.

So, slow this down. Describe her feelings and what she sees. Instea of using the word scary, maybe a couple descriptive adjectives are: ominous, terrifying, etc etc. You can always look something up on google for synonyms.

Make sure you're spending a lot of time writing this, then read it over and fix anything that doesn't sound right. Then, read it over again to make sure you didn't miss anything. Once you're satisfied, publish it.

Despite all that criticism, the plot is really growing stronger an stronger than just the prologue. Great job with that. The plot is a hard thing to conquer, but once you have it down, go one by one with all the other things you need to do: characters, setting, etc etc.

Good job!

WillowPaw1~

Poseidon wrote a review...

Hi. Your stories has a good plot but you are moving it along way to fast. You also need to explain more. There are a lot of I in your story. I know it is suppose to be a short story but you can use more descriptive words. There is a lot of info dumps in the story and there is no feel to it. It feels like one reading a report. These are just suggestions for your story. Keep on working it you'll get it.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:37 am
Mackattack wrote a review...

I think you have a great start. Although I think you should take a deep breath and slow down. You are moving they story along a little fast and that can cause your reader to get lost. Your ides is really interesting though. I also love how you interpret your characters feeling through your writing. Next time just take it slow and don't be afraid to add some dialogue. Just don't over do it. I wish you the best of luck!

-Mackattack

notresponsible wrote a review...

Hello Notresponsible here to review your novel.

I like the plot of the story but I felt like it was rushed. She says she was fighting and she is a soldier but she didn't go into any details. I'm sure war is very scary (actually I'm 100% positive) but very scary was all I got.

For example:
"The battle was full of dead people, and I am surprised I am not dead yet, after being to close to a bomb when it went off. I got knocked to the ground unconscious, and was hardly breathing."

What happened? I need to feel what she felt. From the lines I quoted I felt like she was nonchalant. Like it was no big deal.

It seemed like she went from no big deal to literally saying war was scary.

Overall the story can be an amazing piece about a woman who followed her father's footsteps but you should go more in depth with her feelings and what she went through. I look forward to seeing your next piece.

dogsrule5 says...

Okay. Thanks for the tips.

SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...

Hello dogs, Wolf here to review.

Oh, sweet honey darling child. This was a quite, interesting (...?) chapter.

I am now an adult. 21 years old to be exact. I didn't remember anything about my childhood, except that my dad died in the battle. I am now fighting in this next battle. Which is going on now. I don't remember anything that happened in my childhood, because I have lost some of my memory, by getting hurt, by the other country in this battle.

Alright, so here is a large example of telling. A huge thing that needs to be done, and I cannot stress this enough, show, not tell. Here is an example:

Becoming an adult at twenty-one, I try to recall my childhood memories. Though, nothing comes. The times of the past are near blurs to me, and probably an accident in battle is to blame for this. I can only remember the grimace upon my father's face as I watched him die on the battlefield. Running my finger through his thick, blonde hair, I vowed to take it upon myself to finish this battle he had partaken in. Germany shall pay for what it's taken from me.

Do you see? Here I've taken the basic sentences from before, and turned them into much more, while including some descriptions and emotions without bluntly saying so. I'm sorry to say, but I don't really recall any actual showing from this work at all. The idea is great, but this is such a basic way to approach it. I know you can do better than is, you just have to work for it.

Honestly, I'm extremely sorry if I offended you or if you think this is too harsh. It has to be said, but with this over, you can brush it off and pick yourself up to bring yourself to new heights! Remember, less telling, more showing, and details are your best friends in chapters! If you would like some help in the future, I'd be glad to be of assistance if you request it, just let me know. You show some potential and I hope to see you grow. Keep Writing,
~Wolfare

dogsrule5 says...

Thank you so much. This is really helpful...

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince