12+

The Battle Chapter 12-13

by dogsrule5

Note: Sorry I haven't written this chapter in a long time, I have just been busy... Now let's get to it!

It was now the first day of school and Amber's alarm clock went off and scared her to death. She screamed as she fell out of bed with a thud. Hearing the thud Amber's mom, Stacy, had run upstairs to see what was going on.

"Mom I'm fine." Amber said. "I just fell out of bed because my alarm clock scared me."

"Good. I thought you were hurt. Now hurry up and get dressed, and come down for breakfast. You don't want to be late for the first day of school."

"Okay mom." Stacy said sighing. 

Stacy went into her closet and picked out a nice casual short-sleeved shirt, and some black and white leggings. Amber had long, nice, dark brown, silky hair, just like her mother. She was tall. She picked out some black flats to go with her pink shirt and leggings. 

Amber quickly went into the bathroom, brushed her hair and put it up in a nice bun. She brushed her teeth and then went downstairs for breakfast.

"Good morning dear." Said Mike, as Amber was coming down the stairs.

"Morning dad. Mom what time does school start."

"School starts at 8.00 A.M. It's 7:30 now. So hurry up and eat, we got to leave for school soon."

"Why can't I just walk to school with Emily."

Emily: Amber's best friend. She has long dirty-blond hair, that was up in a nice fishtail braid. She was about as tall as Amber. She was caring, and has a boyfriend named Ethan Chandler. 

Ethan: Short blond, hair with shiny blue eyes. He was tall, popular, and captain of the football team.

"Amber." Stacy said. "You can't walk to school it's to far."

"But Emily just started walking, and if I leave now I can catch up to her. Please."

"Fine. But be careful Amber"

"Okay mom, I will. Bye dad."

"Bye honey." Mike said eating his toast."

Amber rushed out the door completely forgetting about her breakfast. 

"Emily." Amber yelled from down the street. 

"Hey Amber, what's up?" 

"Nothing much."

They walked for about 10 minutes and finally reached Jacksonville High School. 

It was a big building that stretched about 10 acres. It had two floors. 

"OMG" Said Emily excitedly. "Finally freshman in high school."

"Yeah" Said Amber nervously.

"Ethan" Emily screamed half way across the school grounds. 

"Hey babe," Ethan said hugging her.

Amber strolled along to the inside of the school where the hallway was jam packed with students from freshman to senior. Amber finally found her locker and punched in her combination. The lockers were tall and wide. They were a shiny red color. The bell rang, and everyone was hustling to get to homeroom. 

Amber walked to the second floor of the building running into Emily on the way. Sadly Emily was to busy making out with Ethan to notice her. 

This is going to be a bad year. Amber thought... I can tell. 

Amber finally made it through the large crowd to her homeroom class. Her teachers name was Mr. Thompson. He was a tall man with light brown hair, and greenish, brown eyes. The other members of her class were already there. The back rows were taken, and the only seat left was the one in the front. 

"Hello. You must be Amber. Nice to meet you. I"m Mr. Thompson. There are no more seats in the back so, why don't you sit down right here in the front."

"Okay" Amber said sounding shy. 

He took attendance and everyone was there. 

"Hello class. I'm Mr. Thompson, and I am your science teacher. I will try to make things as fun as possible." 

That day was review day. Mr. Thompson had gone over chemical and physical changes. 

Once the day was over, Ethan decided to walk Emily home, so Amber was alone.

Amber walked in the door at home and no one was home yet. Stacy was at work, and Mike was at the store. 

Then all of a sudden Mike walked in.

"Hey Amber, did you have a good first day of school." 

"Yeah. I guess so."

"Good."

"Hey dad?" 

"Yes Amber."

"Can I get a dog?"

"Sure if you are willing to take care of it."

"Thanks."

So Amber walked down to the pet store with her dad, Mike. Amber picked out a puppy. It was a small beagle, jack russell terrier. She had a beagle face, and ears, but a jack russell terrier body shape. She was a black, brown, and white dog. Amber named her Summer. Since her new dog was born in the summer.

They bought some dog food, toys, cage, bed, blanket, food bowls, and a leash.

Right when they got home Amber took her dog out for a walk. Emily was outside making out with Ethan again. 

"Hey Emily." Amber said happy as can be. "Say hello to Summer, my new dog. I just got her."

"Oh hey Amber. Summer is adorable. I can't hang right now though. I'm busy."

"Yeah I saw. See ya later then."

"K by Amber."

Amber walked around the neighborhood slowly staring at Emily and Ethan having a great time. 

My best friend hates me, she doesn't have time for me anymore, now that she has reconnected with her stupid boyfriend Ethan. Amber thought sadly.

Amber walked home slowly, fed her dog, and took Summer's cage upstairs to her room. She set it in an empty space. Once she found a good spot, Amber sat down on her bed. 

She folded her arms and put them in her lap. She put her head in her arms and started crying. Thinking about Emily and how she doesn't make time for Amber anymore. As the tears were streaming down her face she could hear her parent's talking. Summer slowly walked up the stairs eventually finding her way to Amber's room. 

"Hey Summer" Amber said.

Amber picked up Summer and put her on the bed. She held her dog tight saying... "Your my best friend, and I promise our friendship will never fade away." 

She hugged her dog, and set her down, and put her head back in her arms and cried again.

Evander wrote a review...

Hey, Dogsrule! Finally, the next chapter is out. Let's start the review, shall we? :D
The beginning really bothers me. It feels like this novel has lost its whole setting. Instead of being on the battle field and chasing after Mike, we're watching a girl fall out of her bed and go to school. After the first few paragraphs, I lost my will to read on because it was all too different. I'm happy for the characters, but there's this sense of lost that lingers. Because now that Mike has gotten together with Stacy and they have a kid, it's like the objective of the novel has been achieved. We've had our happy ending. Stacy woke up from the coma, the battle had been won. The title of the novel has little to no meaning, unless there shall be another war.

"Okay mom." Stacy said sighing.

Little bit of confusion right there. I thought that Stacy was the mom and Amber was the kid. :P Also, comma between "okay" and "Mom." Another thing, "Mom" needs to be capitalized.

Comma between "good morning" and "dear."

Comma between “morning” and “Dad,” “Dad” needs to be capitalized because it is a title. There needs to be a comma between “Mom” and “what,” and there needs to be a question mark replacing that second period.

I would like to say that the speech seems really... stiff. It has no characters and the sentences are so easy to read. The way they speak doesn't even differ from character to character. It's like cardboard. There needs to be a difference to really add a backbone, or else it is just flat.

The descriptions of Ethan and Emily are really out of place. They don’t need to be there at all. It would make more sense to actually describe them and tell the reader about them after we’ve met them. Even then, it was really weird. Perhaps the report of how they looked like could have gone like this:

Emily was Amber’s best friend. She had long, dirty blonde hair that was often up in a nice fishtail braid. Amber and her were similar in height. Her personality is caring. Also, she has a boyfriend named Ethan Chandler.

That’s better, but it still seems weird and totally out of place. That can all be said through action. So on the way to school, Emily gives directions to someone – or helps a kitten out of a tree. She jogs and her dirty blonde hair waved bounced around, the fishtail whacking against her back. Amber notices that they are about the same in height as they walk side by side. Little things like that. Even a little conversation can give a lot away without telling.

Another thing, this all seems a bit rushed. With short discussions and brief sentences, there isn’t anything to savor. The paragraphs seem disconnected and jerky.

"Can I get a dog?"

Woah, that came out of nowhere. There was no foreshadowing, no thoughts leading up to it, it just popped up unexpected. Which is alright, sometimes! But normally events that change the character’s lives are hinted at beforehand. And getting a dog is something that has the potential to be huge.

Shouldn’t that be given just a little bit more thought? Dogs can be really expensive, and what is Stacy wouldn’t want one? Things like that need to be discussed.

Though, I do feel somewhat bad for Amber, and her emotional state does make sense. I do hope that her and Emily will be able to talk with each other and discuss how Amber feels. Summer seems like an awesome dog as well, and hopefully she’ll play a big part in these upcoming chapters.

Anyway, despite all of the nitpicks, you are improving and I am incredibly proud. Please keep on writing!
~Adrian

dogsrule5 says...

Thanks

ThereseCricket wrote a review...

Hi! Cricket here for a review!

Ah, yes. Good to see some more of this.

So I can see that in this chapter she's starting off her first year in highschool. And from what I can see it's not doing too well. What I would really like to see later on is some sort of confrontation between Amber and Emily. Really, if Amber feels so badly about it then she should be feeling a bit more angry. Like there needs to be some description of the anger boiling up inside. Think of it this way. You have a best friend who's always there for you (I don't exactly recall Emily, but they have been friends for a while, right?) and suddenly she starts running off with her boyfriend and treating Amber like she doesn't matter anymore. That hurts her, like you said. So why isn't she showing more anger? All she does is watch Emily and Ethan, and get a dog to help stem the loneliness. There needs to be some sort of confrontation around here. It doesn't have to be a full out fight between the two, but maybe just a little spat. Like Amber asks if Emily wants to do something and Emily says no because of something to do with Ethan, and then the fight starts from there. Or just something along those lines. Make sense at all? If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Just remember that you are working on developing your character's relationships, and a nice steady build is the way to go.

It was now the first day of school and Amber's alarm clock went off and scared her to death

Here is an example of telling and not showing. Instead of saying her alarm going off scared her to death, why not describe how it scared her? Describe her flying up, reaching out for the alarm clock, ect..., Saying how it scared her to death doesn't give us a very clear visual. But describing it and giving us detail on it, would give a very clear visual on it. I don't know if I've given you this article or not yet, but here's a great article on the differences between showing and telling.

"Okay mom." Stacy said sighing.

Sorry, for cutting out so much. What you have here is really quite confusing. Why is there a dialogue tag with Stacey's name with some dialogue that is clearly Amber's? And then later you say that Stacy went into the closet to get some clothes, but in the same paragraph you're talking about Amber's appearance. Make sure that each bit of dialogue has the proper dialogue tag attached to it. I mean, I was pretty confused for a second when it seems that Stacey was saying Okay, Mom to Amber, who is her daughter.

Next, I would really like to focus on description. Look at how you describe your characters. Granted, there is a dramatic improvement from the last chapter, but still. They could still use some work.

Look at how you usually do it. From what I can see you usually describe the person with a list of characteristic traits. For instance, you described Emily in a list of traits. You described Ethan in a list of traits. Now look at your story from the viewpoint of a reader. Would you get a good visual from a list of characteristic traits?

Try and take a piece of your description of the character insert it somewhere along the lines of telling the story. Remember, that when you're describing something your story stops. That is why writers always try and insert description as they go, in order to keep a steady flow of description and storyline, insuring that the story keeps going while the reader gets a clear visual in their head. Does this help? If you have trouble with finding out how to insert description into your story, then look at some online articles on this topic. :)

Also, just a brief reminder about grammar. It is a lot better than before, but there are still some comma problems here. Look up some articles on dialogue punctuation, commas, periods, ect..., Try reading up on punctuation and your grammar will improve dramatically. It's almost a guarantee.

Hopefully this review is of some help, and if you have any questions, then feel free to ask me.

~Cricket

dogsrule5 says...

In your second quote box I meant to say that Amber went into her closet! And Thanks.

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
— Voltaire