z

Young Writers Society



A Crime of Confusion or Maybe Delusion

by Demoness


A Crime of Confusion or Maybe Delusion

 
Your blood flows like frozen water,
Your name is written in red ice.
The air speaks of your brave sacrifice,
But I can see nothing but demise.

Your heart beats like a cold dead stone,
How taunting is it that I still see you-
Feel you when I hold you the way I do.
I wonder can you see and feel me too?

Your arms linger around me like dead worms,
I dig my fingers into your pale frail skin.
I make red paintings that tell of your sin
I curse you for the wounds you caused within

Escaping from thy lungs is an echo of the past,
I try to catch it with my lips pressed against yours.
But they can no longer recognize the source,
Sometimes I wonder why I have no remorse.

I don’t regret anything,
But I miss everything.

What did the world do to me?
-To make me do this to you?


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
696 Reviews


Points: 5533
Reviews: 696

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 4:17 pm
Audy wrote a review...



Hey Demoness!

Why is the whole thing italicized? I can understand if it was an aesthetic/style choice. It just felt a bit distracting, I'm so used to italics indicating flashbacks -- and then again, for all I know, this whole piece could be a flashback.

Anyway, I actually like this poem quite a bit :O The rhyme and rhythms for the most part didn't detract from my reading of the poem, and the sounds add to the eerie sort of murdurous atmosphere, such as: despise/sacrifice and the skin/sin.

Though, I'll be honest, some of the rhymes did feel a little forced. An example being that last line there in the third stanza: I hate you for thinking we were strong enough to win. It just made me think: win what? And that part there put me out of the poem trying to place a time/event to this. I'm assuming the win here is just referring to the relationship? Maybe a better phrase would be strong enough to last? I know that sort of ruins the rhyme scheme though (ah - the worry-free joys of free verse XD)

The tones are sort of interesting. There seems to be this conflicting tone that you even point out at one part, the speaker seems to be lamenting and even regretting what she does, but then there's a part that really does seem uncaring/cold and apathetic such as the first two stanzas.

Interesting experimentation there, putting us in the mind of a murderer! The conflicting tones actually work really well. Keep writing, Demoness :) I'm always up for reading one of your pieces.

~ as always, Audy




User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 am
Aley wrote a review...



"Feel you when I hold you the way I do."
"Sometimes I wonder why I have no remorse."

This poem needs to abandon rhyming, especially since the rhymes are inconsistent. I would like to see you ignore it completely, along with ignoring pauses at the end of the line. It just isn't necessary and some of these lines read really pretty without the pause.
So the two lines I have up top, don't really seem to fit into the poem, along with the first couplet in the poem. The couplet just seems like it is there for rhyming instead of actually saying anything due to the inconsistency it presents with the speaker of the poem. Why would they bother to miss everything, what is it they miss, and why don't they regret missing everything? These absolutes are annoying in poetry for me, because they always come off as melodramatic. I feel the same way with songs.
As for the second one, no remorse, most people know exactly why they feel no remorse, because they don't care for the person, or thing to begin with. A lack of pity/remorse is simply a lack of feeling for the individual/thing. That's not that hard to figure out, and people can typically pick out why they hate something. Even I know why the speaker feels no remorse for this person she's killing, she hates him, so why is this line in the poem?

Overall I feel like it could be a bit more concise and the rhyming needs to stop. "demise" is pronounced with a z sound instead of a soft s, even though it is spelled with an s, that breaks the rhyme in the first stanza and then the rhyming really is annoying in the couplet, forced, and it also sounds forced in the 2-4th stanzas at different points. Play with not rhyming them and see if you can come up with some more unique descriptors like you had at the beginning writing the person's name in ice. That will really make the poem better, along with taking it out of italics.




User avatar


Points: 567
Reviews: 3

Donate
Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm
Saterdays wrote a review...



I really like the way this sounds... very nice ring to it. I give you major props for your creativity and expression within your words. I believe my favorite part of this would have to be... "Your arms linger around me like dead worms, I dig my fingers into your pale frail skin." It gives me chills and inspires me to great affect. I hope you never give up on your writing.





We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart